Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Life has no purpose

I am convinced there is no purpose in living.

You are born, you grow up, you work and you die and all the time just being unhappy.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Life has no purpose

I dunno, I'm pretty content 95% of the time... it's what you choose to do with your life that makes you happy or sad. If you choose wrongly, then you'll be unhappy.
    Trendem

Banned Indefinitely
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post
    You are born, you grow up, you work and you die and all the time just being unhappy.
    No.

ODN Community Regular

According to Christians, just south of heaven
    Post Thanks / Like

I am convinced there is only living.

You are born, you grow up, you work and you die and all the time just being unhappy or happy depending on your own decisions.
    Fixed

In Heaven there is no beer. That's why we drink it here.

Rogue Cardinal, Member of the God-Awful Atheist Syndicate

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Disagree. I think there is more purpose since I'm an athiest...this life is much more valuable.

I'm pretty happy most of the time (more than 90%, definitely) even though I'm not where I completely want to be at the moment (work, etc.). However, I've enjoyed growing up, I enjoyed people, life, how beautiful earth is...how sweet technology is...how fun games are, music, art, thinking, philosophy, beer, some other out of body experiences, sex/orgasms, learning, movies, food!!!, wine, football...soccer, wow, i could go on and on. I enjoy experiencing things.

Even if the sole purpose of life is to experience new things, that's purpose enough. So find whatever and whereever things make you happy.

Need to validate email

Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Post Thanks / Like

Regardless if there is a purpose in living or not the fact is you are living. Why not make the best of it? And I personally know people who have never grown up, hardly work and they appear to be happy.
    When the power of love becomes stronger than the love of power, there will be peace..........jimi hendrix.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I find for myself that if I get unhappy it is usually because I have gotten bored. Solution, go do something...preferabley something I haven't done before. Don't make excuses. Just go do it.

I don't understand depression. I don't understand why people get so bummed about everything. Life is too short in my opinion wasting time letting things get you down. You don't have to be down. It's a state of mind. IF life is bad....is generally because you have chosen life to be bad. Same for if life is good.

Make the choice.....your reality is what YOU make it.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree. If you subscribe to a religion or particular philosophy, then there is purpose in your life as dictated in the guidelines of said religion or philosophy.

But many of us don't have faith in those religions, so then we have no one directing us to a purpose grander than ourselves. To that end, we have to create our own purpose. I think I know how you feel as these types of thoughts have crossed my mind as well. So I decided that my purpose in life in to take care of my family, and to help as many people as I can become financially free. The first part going well; the second part - well, I have the knowledge, now it's time for the execution part.

Would the rest of the Universe miss us if we suddenly disappeared? Unlikely. But while we are here, we should make it a better place than before we were brought into it (by our standards of course, and if that's even possible). And who knows, maybe we will find that divine purpose in life along the way.
    Only what can happen does happen. ~Watchmen
    When the Standard is defined you will know how right or wrong you are.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

No, this isn't quite correct. Life has no absolute purpose.

But this doesn't mean that life can't be fun or having personal meaning. And after all, who gives two craps whether or not it has absolute meaning? May as well just do what pleases you when you can, make the best compromises available if you can't or take the necessary risks you need to get what you want.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Some say life only has the arbitrary purpose we assign to it, but that's not truly a purpose in a literal sense. In order to know what humans are meant for, we must know how we were created and where we come from. We were created by God. Only that insight allows us to begin to understand what our purpose is.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning View Post
    Some say life only has the arbitrary purpose we assign to it, but that's not truly a purpose in a literal sense. In order to know what humans are meant for, we must know how we were created and where we come from. We were created by God. Only that insight allows us to begin to understand what our purpose is.
    Support or retract!!!!!

Life is whatever we decide it to be. There are plenty of people that live very meaningful lives that have nothing to do with God at all.

I don't have to understand a thing about the beginning of man to understand how I want to live my life in the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Cardinal View Post
    Life is whatever we decide it to be.
    As I said, that is arbitrary evaluation, not a purpose. A purpose refers to objective design and intention.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

As I said, that is arbitrary evaluation, not a purpose. A purpose refers to objective design and intention.
    What a person cannot design or have intentions of what they want to do? Perposterous!!

I set objectives of what I want to do in my life and design plans to get there. I have intentions to do those things thus all the hard work with the things I stated prior.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

If our only "purpose" in life is defined by God, then doesn't usurp the possibility of free will? I believe that "purpose" is relative. God may have a purpose for my life; my parents may have a purpose for my life; and I may have a purpose in my life. None of those are necessarily contradictory, although they could be conflictive.
    Only what can happen does happen. ~Watchmen
    When the Standard is defined you will know how right or wrong you are.

Post Thanks / Like

What a person cannot design or have intentions of what they want to do? Perposterous!!

I set objectives of what I want to do in my life and design plans to get there. I have intentions to do those things thus all the hard work with the things I stated prior.
    That is your perspective of what your life means, and entirely subjective. Certainly not a literal purpose, in the sense of an object or being objectively fulfilling the intended function for which it was created. I will not go in circles with you about it.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

That is your perspective of what your life means, and entirely subjective. Certainly not a literal purpose, in the sense of an object or being objectively fulfilling the intended function for which it was created. I will not go in circles with you about it.
    You are assuming I was created. If I agree and say well my PARENTS created me. Then one would have to say what would be the purpuse of them creating me? So that I might live? Because they wanted a child? Their purpose is not MY purpose for living.

Now we could say that my parents would hope that I live a good life and that would be their purpose for which I was created. I am doing that so I have thus far fulfilled their purpose for me. But isn't it possible to have other possibilities? Can we not fulfill other purposes for other people?

BTW What made you decide to chop your hair off in this cold time of year?

Post Thanks / Like

You are assuming I was created. If I agree and say well my PARENTS created me. Then one would have to say what would be the purpuse of them creating me? So that I might live? Because they wanted a child? Their purpose is not MY purpose for living.

Now we could say that my parents would hope that I live a good life and that would be their purpose for which I was created. I am doing that so I have thus far fulfilled their purpose for me. But isn't it possible to have other possibilities? Can we not fulfill other purposes for other people?

BTW What made you decide to chop your hair off in this cold time of year?
    Your parents procreated your body, they did not create your soul.

Anyway, I chopped off my hair in June/July, when it was still very hot here in Texas. At that time, it was much longer (about ponytail length) than in my previous picture, from late last year.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Your parents procreated your body, they did not create your soul.

Anyway, I chopped off my hair in June/July, when it was still very hot here in Texas. At that time, it was much longer (about ponytail length) than in my previous picture, from late last year.
    My parents procreated my body.....I think I got my soul from listening to a lot of Curtis Mayfield when I was younger....hehehhe

I have the same haircut.....low maintenance! heheehe

Post Thanks / Like

The purpose of life is to be alive.
    Or, if you are a fan of Carl Jung (which I am), the purpose of life is to discover the transcendent Self within you (which your mind is always moving towards, as evidenced by dreams, which are kind of like translations). The purpose of life isn't necessarily to find it, but to search for it, like the Holy Grail. (jung calls the process "individuation" .. recognizing the Self as "that art thou.".. both unique and unified)

I agree with both, I don't think they are mutually exclusive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast