Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Thanksgiving!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Eat-Food-Until-You-Enter-A-Diabetic-Coma Day!
    "I let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes as common as the grass."
    Lao Tsu

Post Thanks / Like

You think you're cool don't you? With that stupid blue doughnut beside your username and always stealing the holiday threads.

We'll see who gets that laugh on Christmas day, smart guy
    DITTA ARTIGIANA BUDRIO / F.MENAGLIO

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Thanksgiving, all you northern turkeys
    "I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world" - Richard Dawkins

"If you could rationalize with Religious people there would be no more Religious people" -Gregory House

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I was not sure what Thanksgiving day was for, so I did the goooooogle thing...

Thanksgiving Day is a harvest festival celebrated primarily in the United States and Canada. Traditionally, it is a time to give thanks for the harvest and express gratitude in general. While perhaps religious in origin, Thanksgiving is now primarily identified as a secular holiday. [1]

The date and location of the first Thanksgiving celebration is a topic of modest contention. The traditional "first Thanksgiving" is the celebration that occurred at the site of Plymouth Plantation, in 1621. The Plymouth celebration occurred early in the history of what would become one of the original thirteen colonies that became the United States. However, there was another, more modest Thanksgiving at Berkley Plantation, Virginia on the banks of the James River in 1619. The celebration became an important part of the American myth by the 1800s.[citation needed] This Thanksgiving, modeled after celebrations that were commonplace in contemporary Europe, is generally regarded as America's first. Today, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States and on the second Monday of October in Canada. Thanksgiving dinner is held on this day, usually as a gathering of family members and friends.

Quite interesting. I think if I have to compare it to South African holidays, it will be like our Geloftedag celebrations. That is on our 16th of December each year, and is an oath made by the Boere Volk many many years ago. Sadly the black people in SA don't recognize it and they changed the name of the holiday to "Day of Reconciliation". But enough about that.

Happy Thanksgiving guys and I hope you all get some big ass turkeys to munch on. hehe (sorry for those vegetarians of course)
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Cept Canada celebrates its TG on a different day than our more Yankish friends do
    "I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world" - Richard Dawkins

"If you could rationalize with Religious people there would be no more Religious people" -Gregory House

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Thanksgiving. My kitchen is a disaster but I certainly have enough food to feed a small army. Which, when I go into work I will.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." ~Bertrand Russell