Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64
  1. #41
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    We live in an imperfect world and mistakes happen. Should we be governed by anomalies and what-if's? If you are claiming the risk of executing an innocent person is a reason to ban capital punishment, shouldn't this be dependent upon the amount of risk? There is a cost and benefit here and you're ignoring the benefit to avoid the cost. This is irrational at a certain point.
    I'm aware of the arguments for the benefit of capital punishment and they, in my opinion, do not compensate for the downside of our justice system occasionally killing an innocent person.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    In most instances, bad guys are picked up for crimes based on their criminal associations and past behavior.
    Support that please. As far as I know, when a murder is committed, they don't go and round up guys who are generally "bad" but instead look for the people who the evidence points to, whether they have a criminal record or not.

    If the defendant has no criminal record, he's still the defendant.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    The guys may be innocent of THAT crime, but they aren't people worth crying over. So, if the cost of the death penalty is mistakenly executing some bad people who were innocent of a particular crime, I can live with that.
    Well, you're going to need to support the notion that whoever happens to be the defendant of a murder case, in general, is a bad person who we shouldn't care if he/she is executed before I can begin to take that argument seriously.



    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    We probably should not have fought the Germans or Japanese during WWII either. Do you know how many innocents were killed by us? Total mistake. It would have been much better to avoid killing innocents and let Hitler have his way with Europe, right?
    No. Wars of necessity are, well, necessary. Capital Punishment is not necessary.
    Last edited by mican333; December 22nd, 2009 at 01:36 PM.

  2. #42
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    I'm aware of the arguments for the benefit of capital punishment and they, in my opinion, do not compensate for the downside of our justice system occasionally killing an innocent person.
    You seem content in defining innocence along strictly legal terms.


    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    Support that please. As far as I know, when a murder is committed, they don't go and round up guys who are generally "bad" but instead look for the people who the evidence points to, whether they have a criminal record or not.
    Ok. And how many times have you been picked up for murder? Personally, I have been picked up a grand total of zero times. This comes despite the fact I have come across no less than two dead bodies.

    Over half of those on death row have a previous record.
    http://www.antideathpenalty.org/whodeathrow.html
    In fact 65% of federal inmates on death row have some previous felony record. Of the 35% remaining, it can be presumed, at least, some had been charged with felonies which got plead down to a misdemeanor. In other words, people don't just get picked up for murder.

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    If the defendant has no criminal record, he's still the defendant.
    He is a defendant, and most of the time, he's a bad guy whether he committed that particular crime or not.


    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    Well, you're going to need to support the notion that whoever happens to be the defendant of a murder case, in general, is a bad person who we shouldn't care if he/she is executed before I can begin to take that argument seriously.
    I did that above.


    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    No. Wars of necessity are, well, necessary. Capital Punishment is not necessary.
    Who decides war is necessary? It seems a cost benefit analysis occurs which acknowledges the loss of innocent lives is a justifiable cost to prevent even worse outcomes. The same can be said of capital punishment. The occasional loss of life of an "innocent" person is easily justifiable from the standpoint of removing an inherent risk from society. Now, keeping in mind this balance of risk versus reward, there would be a threshold where the costs outweigh the benefits. You have not demonstrated any reason to believe we are approaching this threshold.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  3. #43
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    You seem content in defining innocence along strictly legal terms.
    I define innocent as you didn't do the crime in question, regardless of how the legal system rules.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Over half of those on death row have a previous record.
    http://www.antideathpenalty.org/whodeathrow.html
    In fact 65% of federal inmates on death row have some previous felony record. Of the 35% remaining, it can be presumed, at least, some had been charged with felonies which got plead down to a misdemeanor. In other words, people don't just get picked up for murder.
    No but sometimes people are convicted for crimes they did not commit.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    He is a defendant, and most of the time, he's a bad guy whether he committed that particular crime or not.
    Even if he's a thief, he does not deserve to die for it. So executing anyone who in fact did not commit murder is a clear miscarriage of justice and if they committed other crimes (that aren't murder) they clearly do not deserve death for it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Who decides war is necessary? It seems a cost benefit analysis occurs which acknowledges the loss of innocent lives is a justifiable cost to prevent even worse outcomes. The same can be said of capital punishment.
    Not until it can be shown that there's a significance reduction in murders due to capital punishment. So far I've never seen that point effectively made.

    Nor is if a given that "killing innocents to save more innocents" qualifies as a "necessary" war. I would consider the only criteria for a truly necessary war is one where our nation is under a clear threat from another nation and we are fighting in our national self-defense.

    And another very relevant difference between war and justice is that they serve two different purposes. Justice, by its definition, is suppose to be "just" and if a "justice" system is killing innocent people, it is doing the exact opposite of what it's suppose to do. Such a thing does not apply to war.

  4. #44
    Fiona
    Guest

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Epic View Post
    I find myself sitting on the fence about this issue, I've for, against, and for again on seperate occaisons. The execution of innocents has been the reason for which I have been against the death penalty in the past. At the moment, I am for it, mainly because I believe that our prisons are for restitution and to re-integrate convicts into society with proper behaviour. I also believe that there are some people (Kim de Gelder, the man who went into a daycare last year in Belgium and killed three people and mutilated twelve others, for one) for whom there can be no restitution and for whom there is no point in burdening our prison systems. These are the rabid dogs of society who need to be put down.
    I find that to be an argument based solely on personal opinion, the penetrators will always be viewed as 'the rabid dogs of society' by their victims, regardless of the degree of severity for their crimes. And indeed, I agree that even though the level of physical harm can vary depending on the type of crimes, that of psychological damage really isn't much different. Thus I'm sure that every victim would want to see those penetrators dead.

    My side of the argument is that death penalty is a punishment that once administered, never can be undone, but if we are under the assumption that any conviction is correct, then I am for death penalty (at least for murder of a sinister nature)
    But unfortunately, this assumption is false, no matter how perfected the forensic or legal technology and procedures get, there will be errors, and at that time, if death penalty is in place, then the law becomes the penetrator, the murderer, that is to say. This concept is against the purpose of setting up the law in the first place, and one of the feature of a justified and civilised law, to protect the vulnerable, will be deminished.

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    The argument that an innocent man could be put to death is not in and of itself a reason to end the death penalty.

    It is however a reason to limit the death penalty to only those crimes that are extremely heinous and where the evidence against the accused is overwhelming and indisputable.

  6. #46
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Where every life is precious
    Posts
    2,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by IamJohnGalt View Post
    The argument that an innocent man could be put to death is not in and of itself a reason to end the death penalty.
    Why do you feel that way?

    Is having the death penalty really worth taking the chance that an innocent person could be executed?
    "As long as I have a voice, I will speak for those who have none".

  7. #47
    Jadyn
    Guest

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    The death penalty should be abolished. The root cause of a man murdering another man should be, to the best of my knowledge, ignorance or anger or hatred or whatever you wanna call it. Inevitably, everyone is inherently born with ignorance, hatred and anger. So why not spread more love throughout society to prevent people from murdering each other since every man has got the potential to murder? Furthermore, the death penalty is just legally taking away another person's life. And hanging another person just increases the human death toll.

  8. #48
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,747
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jadyn View Post
    The death penalty should be abolished. The root cause of a man murdering another man should be, to the best of my knowledge, ignorance or anger or hatred or whatever you wanna call it. Inevitably, everyone is inherently born with ignorance, hatred and anger. So why not spread more love throughout society to prevent people from murdering each other since every man has got the potential to murder? Furthermore, the death penalty is just legally taking away another person's life. And hanging another person just increases the human death toll.
    The question though is not how do we prevent murders (though executing murderers does in fact save lives net), but what do we do with people who have now murdered?
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.


  9. #49
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    3,909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Allocutus View Post
    What you have quoted is NOT EVIDENCE AT ALL. It's a politician blowing his own trumpet about his achievements. It is well known that Pataki took a tough stance on violent crime and THIS WAS NOT LIMITED to reintroducing the deat penalty. What we need is some research by a credible criminologist and not self-praising comments of a politician. And I have presented lots of that type of research in the other thread; Tarja is doing so in this thread. There's simply no evidence that would allow us to conclude that DP has any deterrent effect above and beyond that of imprisonment.
    Actually, there is no way to prove it one way or the other. You can't prove it isn't a deterrent and neither can I for certain prove it is.

    One thing does however come to mind. In countries where the Death Penalty is not executed as a rule, chances are good that it will not really serve as a deterrent.

    In countries like Singapore for instance, the Death Penalty is executed diligently each and every time. In fact, it is even applicable to people who make themselves guilty of drug trafficking.

    Capital punishment is a legal form of punishment in Singapore. The city-state had the highest per-capita execution rate in the world between 1994 and 1999, estimated by the United Nations to be 1.357 executions per hundred thousand of population during that period.[1]

    Singapore is also one of those countries with the lowest crime rate.

    The crime rate in Singapore is one of the lowest in the world.[1] There are reports of petty crime such as pickpocketing and street theft which occurs at airports, tourist destinations, hotels and on public transport. Incidents of violent crime are rare in Singapore.

    You think this correlation is just by accident?

    I agree that it is not only the Death Penalty that can serve as deterrent. It is a country's whole justice system that contributes. The fact that Singapore has such a strong correlation though is making me think.

    Countries with a very good justice system and a strong Police Force like Sweden can be able to control crime sufficiently and in fact a strong Police Force can contribute as a deterrent as much as the Death Penalty as well.

    In countries like SA, where the Police Force is corrupt. The justice system is corrupt and well, basically there is nothing to write home about, the DP does seem like a pretty good option, don't you think?

    No. What you said is that even if a wrong person gets executed, what matters is that people THINK that he was guilty and that deters people from committing similar crimes. That's an attempt at justifying wrongful execution.
    And what I also said is that people should only be executed once evidence to his/her crime is without flaws. If there is no way to be 100% sure the person committed the crime, then I do not support that the person should receive the death penalty.

    I do however know of many criminals in SA that was caught murdering people. Who got an x number of years in jail, was released, and committed the very same crime again. There is even instances where murderers were released on bail and they committed the same crimes again while out on bail.

    You saying that I am trying to justify innocent people being killed will be the same as me saying that you are trying to justify the killing of innocent community members. Same reasoning, and it is flawed in my honest opinion.

    Sure, in an ideal world where we could push a Replay button and see exactly who committed a crime and also look into the person's mind to see his intention, DP might be justified (insofar as the concerns in this thread go). But that's not the world we live in.
    So you support the DP only when there is 50 plus witnesses able to identify the murderer? Or would you say that person should still go to jail only?

    That doesn't mean that DP is the solution. If you want to see how to run a less crime-ridden society, have a look at what some other countries are doing. Check out those who have low crime rates. Check out Denmark or Sweden. Very low violent crime and yet no DP. There's SOMETHING they are doing right. What is it?
    Well, obviously Singapore is doing something right, don't you think?

    How does that justify executing innocent people? "Oh, we destroyed an innocent life but that's ok, not to worry, we've destroyed two guilty ones as well"....That simply is not a justification.
    Oh, so pampering the guy and putting him in jail where he can further rape and kill is the perfect solution. I get it.

    Sure but that doesn't change the fact that killing an innocent person is unfair and unjust. A government that runs a system that carries a risk of executing innocent people IS FAILING TO PROTECT THEM.
    Likewise is a country that fails to protect their law abiding citizens when their own justice system allows criminals to roam free in the streets and continue to kill people like they do it around here.

    This doesn't address my argument. My argument is that a society that values life to the paramount extent would be hypocritical if it had a justice system that carries the risk of killing innocent civilians.
    You are only hypocritical if you are aware that the person you have put to death is in fact innocent.

    I have what I consider a well-balanced concept of justice. Those who are guilty must be punished so as to protect the society from them and from others. There's also an aspect of revenge. I have no emotional attitude towards this. This is how I analyse this particular issue. If you think that your idea of justice is affected by emotional factors then perhaps you should reconsider whether this is a good thread for you to partake in
    Actually my idea of justice is more gruesome than your mind can even contemplate.

    In fact, I believe in an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

    In fact, I would like to see the sexual organs of rapists being removed. I would like to see thief's' hands being cut off. I would like to see baby rapists die. I would like to see car hijackers be run over by bull dozers etc etc.

    It might seem emotional to you. For someone living in a crime ridden country that is pretty much the standard thought.

    There's NO EVIDENCE that I know of that can reliably tell us that death penalty is a working deterrent above and beyond imprisonment. However, there's CLEAR EVIDENCE that it carries the risk of executing a person that should not be executed (one of the reasons is that they might be innocent). On balance therefore you are advocating a measure that has no demonstrated benefit for the community but which has a demonstrated harm for the community.
    Many innocent people die every single day. Maybe that is the difference between you and me. I just don't value life as much as you do. Like I said earlier in this debate, I am conditioned to expect being killed every day. It is nothing new to me.

    If one more innocent person is killed because a government actually strongly believed that the person wrongfully killed another innocent human being, I can't say I feel strongly opposed to it. It is a sad mistake, but a mistake made for the greater good of things.

    NP: Sorry, totally forgot about this debate...
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

    ODN Rules

    Join our Facebook Page here!

  10. #50
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    northern ill noise
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    There seems to be a glaring omission in this discussion.

    The prosecution hid evidence in the case of the "innocent" being executed. This is tantamount to murder. So maybe the prosecution should be executed?

  11. #51
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    3,909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by daveId View Post
    There seems to be a glaring omission in this discussion.

    The prosecution hid evidence in the case of the "innocent" being executed. This is tantamount to murder. So maybe the prosecution should be executed?
    The prosecution hid evidence?

    I am not sure where you got that from. I think, when government made a mistake, they have to pay back a family. If they wrongfully executed the father of a family and that family relied heavily on his income, the government will have to pay up and provide for them as he would have if he was still alive. Of course this can not bring back a loved one, but it will in a way bring about some reconciliation. It will also ensure that the justice system do not act out the DP unless they are 100% sure because it can be a very costly mistake.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

    ODN Rules

    Join our Facebook Page here!

  12. #52
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    northern ill noise
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post
    The prosecution hid evidence?

    I am not sure where you got that from.
    it was in post 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett44 View Post
    ...
    After Felker's conviction, his lawyers presented testimony by forensics experts that the body could not have been dead more than three days when found; a stack of evidence was found hidden by the prosecution that hadn't been presented in court, including DNA evidence that might have exonerated Felker or cast doubt on his guilt.
    There was also a signed confession by another suspect in the paperwork, but despite all this, Felker was executed in 1996. ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post
    I think, when government made a mistake, they have to pay back a family...
    That sounds like a lot of tax dollars...

  13. #53
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    3,909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by daveId View Post
    it was in post 1
    Must have missed that. That is only one case though of the few she sited in the OP.

    If they did it, they will have to pay for what they did.


    That sounds like a lot of tax dollars...
    Not necessarily.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

    ODN Rules

    Join our Facebook Page here!

  14. #54
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    northern ill noise
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    My point is that the prosecution essentially committed murder here by hiding exonerating evidence. If folks pushing for the death penalty were under threat of death penalty themselves, then the same "deterrent", if it exists, should improve the odds that the executed are indeed guilty. I don't think it is fair for such individuals to hide behind the veil of government.

  15. #55
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    I once supported the Death Penalty and even fought to havve it reinstated here in Canada.

    But, I have come to believe I was wrong, and now oppose it.

    First off, there are huge discerpencies in how the penalty is applied. It is directy related to ones finacial ability to mount a defence and pay for "justice".

    One person on Death Row at Muncy PA, I dealt with, had a Lawyer who admitted afterwards that he was addicted to Crack cocaine. He showed for court for her trial, and was not even aware it was a Capitol case. When her sentance was comuted in 2000 to life, a 911 tape showed she was actually with Police at the exact time of the murder.( she was still guilty of being an accesory is disposing of the body)

    This tape, had been available all along, but no one had bothered looking for it. This shows, how poor the Justice system can be. Should we trust it, to always be right? You better if you are going to execute on its judegment.

    As for it being a deterrent?

    I think the onus is on the supporters of the Death Penalty, to show that it is.
    That burden is theirs, and quite frankly, I have never seen a conclusive argumnet showing that it is.

    States that do not emply the Death Penalty, have lower murder rates than ones that do. Other Countries similiar to the US, that do not have the Death Penalty, also have lower murder rates.

    There is no evidence at all, that shows it works as a deterrant, any better than life in Prison does.

    Most murders happen because of drug and alcohol, rage, and the person clearly does not care about the Death Penalty.

    Then we have the main argument, the very real possibility that an innocent person will be exectued.

    Lets face it, our justice system is far from perfect. Sooner or later, it will happen and I think has happened.

    No, its just not worth the risk I think, so I oppose it.

  16. #56
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,747
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by dunrich View Post
    As for it being a deterrent?

    I think the onus is on the supporters of the Death Penalty, to show that it is.
    That burden is theirs, and quite frankly, I have never seen a conclusive argumnet showing that it is.

    States that do not emply the Death Penalty, have lower murder rates than ones that do. Other Countries similiar to the US, that do not have the Death Penalty, also have lower murder rates.
    Certainly you agree that it deters the murderer from murdering again right? IE once they've been executed they cannot subsequently kill another person.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.


  17. #57
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    13,847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett44 View Post
    Just lately I've been re-thinking my personal viewpoint on the DP (death penalty).

    I used to be in favor of capital punishment, but now I have some serious doubts about it, due to the possibility that an innocent person could be executed for a crime he/she did not commit, and also for some other reasons.

    But in this thread I am focusing only on the possibility that an innocent person could be executed, which is irreversible, even if later evidence reveals them to be innocent.

    The DP in the U.S. was declared unconstitutional in 1972, but that decision was overturned in 1976, reinstating the death penalty here in America.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital..._Supreme_Court

    There are currently 35 U.S. states in which the DP is legal.

    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/stat...-death-penalty

    Since 1973, there have been 139 people previously sentenced to death here in the U.S., who were later pardoned, acquitted at retrial, had the charges against them dismissed, or had the decision in their case overturned.

    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/inno...reed-death-row

    In fact there have been some cases in which an innocent person may have been executed, based on the evidence.
    One of these men was executed in my state, Virginia, in 1997.

    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/exec...sibly-innocent

    Here are some other notable U.S. cases in which wrongful execution is suspected:

    "Jesse Tafero was convicted along with an accomplice, Sonia Jacobs, of murdering two police officers in 1976 while the two were fleeing drug charges; each was sentenced to death based partially on the testimony of a third person, Walter Rhodes, a prison acquaintance of Tafero's who was an accessory to the crime and who testified against the pair in exchange for a lighter sentence. Jacobs's death sentence was commuted in 1981.
    In 1982, Rhodes recanted his testimony and claimed full responsibility for the crime. Despite Rhodes's admission, Tafero was executed in 1990.
    In 1992 the conviction against Jacobs was quashed and the state subsequently did not have enough evidence to retry her.
    She then entered an Alford plea and was sentenced to time served.
    It has been presumed that, as the same evidence was used against Tafero as against Jacobs, Tafero would have been released as well had he still been alive.

    Wayne Felker, a convicted rapist, is also claimed by some observers to have been an innocent victim of execution.
    Felker was a suspect in the disappearance of a Georgia woman in 1981 and was under police surveillance for two weeks prior to the woman's body being found.
    The autopsy was conducted by an unqualified technician, and the results were changed to show the death occurring before the surveillance had begun.
    After Felker's conviction, his lawyers presented testimony by forensics experts that the body could not have been dead more than three days when found; a stack of evidence was found hidden by the prosecution that hadn't been presented in court, including DNA evidence that might have exonerated Felker or cast doubt on his guilt.
    There was also a signed confession by another suspect in the paperwork, but despite all this, Felker was executed in 1996.
    In 2000, his case was reopened in an attempt to make him the first executed person in the US to have DNA testing used to prove his innocence after his execution.
    This attempt failed, as the DNA tests were ruled inconclusive as to innocence or guilt.

    Cameron Willingham was executed in Texas in 2004 for an arson fire in 1991 which took the lives of his three small daughters.
    Subsequently, doubt has been cast on the forensic evidence which underlay the conviction, particularly whether evidence existed of an having been used to start the blaze.

    Thomas Griffing and Meeks Griffen were executed in 1913 for the murder of a man involved in an interracial affair but were later pardoned after execution.
    It is thought that they were arrested and charged because they were wealthy enough to hire competant legal counsel and get an acquittal"


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongfu...cific_examples

    It is believed that AT LEAST 39 people have been wrongfully executed in the U.S since the death penalty was reinstated here in 1976.

    http://www.law.northwestern.edu/wron...utinginnocent/

    In summary, I believe the death penalty here in the U.S. should be abolished because of the very real possibility of an innocent person being wrongfully executed.

    Wrongful execution is a fatal error that can never be corrected.
    Can wrongful imprisonment be corrected? I mean, you can stop wrongfully imprisoning the innocent person, but does this actually correct the issue?
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

    HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

  18. #58
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by CliveStaples View Post
    Can wrongful imprisonment be corrected? I mean, you can stop wrongfully imprisoning the innocent person, but does this actually correct the issue?
    You clearly can't give someone those years back but you can take steps to make it up to them so corrective actions can be taken, such as financial reimbursement. Whether it is "satisfactory" is likely going to be up to the person who was imprisoned.

    But without a doubt, there's nothing you can do for a dead man.

  19. #59
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    13,847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    You clearly can't give someone those years back but you can take steps to make it up to them so corrective actions can be taken, such as financial reimbursement. Whether it is "satisfactory" is likely going to be up to the person who was imprisoned.

    But without a doubt, there's nothing you can do for a dead man.
    This is true. But probably there are innocent people who have been (or will be) sentenced to life in prison whose innocence will never be proved. So there will probably be an application of life imprisonment to an innocent person that will never be remedied. And yet despite this probability, we do not reject life imprisonment as an unjust penalty. Why should we reject the death penalty for having a similar probability?
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

    HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

  20. #60
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Doubts About the Death Penalty-Could An Innocent Person Be Executed?

    Quote Originally Posted by CliveStaples View Post
    This is true. But probably there are innocent people who have been (or will be) sentenced to life in prison whose innocence will never be proved. So there will probably be an application of life imprisonment to an innocent person that will never be remedied. And yet despite this probability, we do not reject life imprisonment as an unjust penalty. Why should we reject the death penalty for having a similar probability?
    Because with an innocent person who is serving life in prison, there's always the possibility that the mistake will be uncovered and some kind of correction will be made. Even just letting them out is a correction - perhaps not correction enough to be considered justice but more of a correction than making them stay in prison for the remainder of their lives.

    But once an innocent is executed all hope of correction and the possibility of justice is gone forever.

    And for that matter, an lesser prison sentence that is never corrected is unjust the same way an undiscovered wrongful life sentence is unjust, not the same extent but in the same way. If an innocent person serves a five year sentence and is set free but never in his life is it officially uncovered that he was wrongfully sentenced and he receives restitution, then he is wronged in the same way (again to a lesser extent but still in the same way) as someone who wrongfully serves their whole life in prison. So the only way to make sure that this sort of injustice never happens is to never sentence anyone to prison for any length of time. But clearly that is not an option (well, anything is an option but it seems pretty clear that that is an unworkable option) so we have no choice but to lock up criminals. But we certainly have a choice in whether we execute them.
    Last edited by mican333; February 8th, 2011 at 01:58 PM.

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Should inmates on death row be tested on?
    By surreal5335 in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: November 17th, 2009, 12:24 PM
  2. An Eye for an Eye
    By Aspoestertjie in forum General Debate
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: August 31st, 2009, 07:28 AM
  3. The Death Penalty Revisited
    By Trendem in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: July 27th, 2006, 08:26 PM
  4. FD: Capital Punishment (Mod=Iluv, Apok, NE)
    By Iluvatar in forum General Debate
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 6th, 2005, 07:31 PM
  5. The MORALITY of Capital Punishment
    By Apokalupsis in forum Philosophical Debates
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: May 22nd, 2005, 11:09 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •