Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: My Script

Post Thanks / Like

My Script

Ugh...I am writing a script for a friend (a particularly attractive female friend, mind you). She wants it feature length. Has anyone here written a feature length script, and if so, what are some handy tips for completing it?
    "The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those, who, in times of great moral crisis, reserve their neutrality."-Dante

!@#$%^&*()_+Loller65+_()*&^%$#@!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Script

Make sure you're getting paid, first of all.
    The Signature Religion is the one true religion. I know this is true, because it says so right here in this signature.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Or getting some off that chick bro.
    .::The Swindall::.

"...In the beginning, man created god"

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

overall story, basic outline of what's going on, major characters, background, then work on the detail

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, make sure you're gettin paid in some form. (I'd really like to know who this particular female is, buddy )

Also have a good, deep story. Make sure to introduce and bring out the characters' personalities thouroughly.
    There is no path. Beyond the scope of light - beyond the reach of dark - what could possibly await us?
    And yet we seek it insatiably. Such is our fate.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

When planning your character development, keep in mind that every person deals with every other person in a different way. We are all different people, depending on who we are dealing with. If your story only has two characters, there is only one relationship to explain and to develop, but if your story has three characters, there are six different relationships (and more, if you count relationships against other relationships).

Think about this: Person A interacts with Person B differently than with Person C. Person A interacts differently with both B and C together. And the Same for Person B, with A and C, individually and together.

The more complex and rich your story will be depends solely on how many characters you have, and how often they interact and to what extent.

Oh yeah, make sure you're getting paid, either in dollars or dates (not the kind that come from palms. Palm trees. Definitely the other kinds of palms, though. Get paid in those if you can.).
    The Signature Religion is the one true religion. I know this is true, because it says so right here in this signature.

Need to validate email

Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Post Thanks / Like

You can also use traits of persons you actually know to help flesh out your characters. Also, keep either a note pad and pen or a recorder with you all the time as changes or new ideas pop into your head, especially if you have a commute to work where you can think about your story.
    EDITING! That's what stops me in the tracks of nearly everything I have written.
    I have wrote a western saga. I have wrote a tongue in cheek private eye caper.
    I have nearly finished an e-book I plan to sell online.
    BUT! The stories I have written or not edited. With run-on sentences and a host of other rules broken by my lack of writing skills they are not MANUSCRIPTS. If I was to send them (I have also written several short stories) the way they are the would hit any publisher's trash bin without them ever reading it.
    For me, editing (assuming I knew the English language well enough) is like taking it apart brick by brick while checking for several factors at once. I don't have the education or skill to do that. My wife will not do it. I know one person who would, but as I put much of myself into the characters I don't want soemeone I deal with business-wise to know that much.
    It cost a fortune ($10 per page) to have someone else re-write it but even then there is no garuntee that it will be published.

I have find that the more time I take to make my final outline the easier it is to keep the story moving forward.
    The creative process is the easy part for me. I wrote a poem based on a rock. The editing part however, kills me.
    Good luck, I'm going to have to kick myself out of here and another site to get anything done!
    When the power of love becomes stronger than the love of power, there will be peace..........jimi hendrix.

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest writing about -- or borrowing heavily from some event in history -- as usually the real story is more intriguing than anything someone could make up...

Like:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born" -- Ronald Reagan

How can a moral wrong be a Civil Right?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine takes place during WWII.
    "The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those, who, in times of great moral crisis, reserve their neutrality."-Dante

Post Thanks / Like

Two things with WW2: one, with so much info available it is easier to research and write about. Two, with so much info available its easy to miss something or if you've gotten something wrong for others to call BS.
    I AM ODN

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't a war film that's just its era.