Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Mass Effect 2

  1. #1
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mass Effect 2

    Mass Effect 2 is going to be epic! I loved the first Mass Effect with it's sci fi story, awesome graphics and stellar music and sound. The story was excellent and the voice acting superb. It is a role playing shooter but with this version the lines between role playing and shooting are merged even more seamlessly. The shooter is suppose to be on par with the best shooters out there this time around. You do have to talk to people and learn where to go but I enjoy trying to get a greater appreciation for a well told story and to learn more about the very intriguing characters. It comes out at the end of January and I can't wait!

    Last edited by daman; January 12th, 2010 at 05:48 PM.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

  2. #2
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    Time to show actual gameplay for all the different class types. I can see myself playing this game over each time for all the class types because each is so interesting. The only problem I have is which class to start with. This game is going to keep me entertained for a long time.

    Which class is most interesting to you?

    Soldier - Combat Specialists, All Guns (Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles, Shot Guns, Heavy Pistols), Special Ammo (Incendiary, Disrupter, Cyro), Concussive shots, Adrenaline Rush, Heavy Weapons



    Infiltrator - Master Assassin, Tactical Cloaking, Sniping expert




    Adept - Biotic Powers



    Sentinel -Most Versatile class (Jack of all Trades) Biotic and Tech Powers, Tech Armor



    Vanguard - Intense Short Range Combat Experts, Deadly Biotic Power (Charge)



    Engineer - Tactical Combat Specialists, Combat Drones, Master Hackers

    Last edited by daman; January 13th, 2010 at 07:05 PM.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

  3. #3
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    13,847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    I bought Borderlands (a FPSRPG made by Gearbox) and I really liked it; based on this preference, would you expect that I would also enjoy Mass Effect?

    If so, would you recommend playing ME1, or just waiting for ME2?
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

    HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

  4. #4
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,241
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    Borderlands was pretty fun, but I did not like how little people there were (AI). In most RPGs there are whole towns and what not to interact with.

    Great game, and it fulfilled everything it promised.

    I never played the first one. Its coming out on all consoles. I wonder if I should get it for PS3 or PC.

    Is it an FPS shooter, or is it a turn based game? I do not want any point and click. I want the controls to be like FPS.
    Witty puns...

  5. #5
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    Quote Originally Posted by CliveStaples View Post
    I bought Borderlands (a FPSRPG made by Gearbox) and I really liked it; based on this preference, would you expect that I would also enjoy Mass Effect?

    If so, would you recommend playing ME1, or just waiting for ME2?
    I haven't played Borderlands so I'm not sure. Mass Effect is an RPG game where you will have to go and interact with people to flush out the story by choosing different dialogs from nice to not so nice. Your decisions actually effect how the story plays out. There are multiple story lines and endings. This is great if you love story driven games, but some people do not. Friends I know that don't like story driven games enjoy the FPS part of Mass Effect 1 and will just choose the shortest dialog path to get to the action, which shows the action is very enjoyable, but the story just adds to the whole experience nicely especially with such great graphics, music scores and sounds.

    This game is all about upgrading your weapons as you gain experience to become more powerful as you go along.

    If you love story driven games I'd recommend playing ME1 first as ME2 is a continuation. However there is no need to play the first one to understand and enjoy ME2. One cool feature ME2 has is that it will load your ME1 game decisions on start up so if you killed a character off that character will no longer be in ME2 story, thus keeping the story experience choices you made. But you can definitely start fresh without doing this. But expect ME2 to be better in all aspects to ME1. They improved on engine making it a real good experience. ME1 was rated pretty high, with great story, graphics and musical score, while combat was good it wasn't on par with great shooters. ME2 remedies that issue.

    You also have a team when you go into combat that you can direct to help out. So you are not a true single player shooter in that sense, but you can always direct your team to sit back and relax while you do all the work. By default your team handles themselves appropriately in a combat situation so you don't have to point and click them to get engaged. You can choose what weapons they should use if they should be more defensive or more offensive.

    This video gives an overview all the aspects of the game. Hope it helps



    ---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilPup John View Post
    Borderlands was pretty fun, but I did not like how little people there were (AI). In most RPGs there are whole towns and what not to interact with.

    Great game, and it fulfilled everything it promised.

    I never played the first one. Its coming out on all consoles. I wonder if I should get it for PS3 or PC.

    Is it an FPS shooter, or is it a turn based game? I do not want any point and click. I want the controls to be like FPS.
    I believe it was rumored to be coming out on PS3, but that rumor seems to be false since it is currently only available on the xbox360 and pc.

    It is not a turn based game at all. It is all in real time and handles exactly as you would expect a good first person shooter would handle. It should be very similar to the uncharted 2 shooting experience. Your team mates all act independantly with no need for you to guide them. However you can override their default behavior and choose what weapons they use and you can tell them to where to go. It is more like rainbow 6 in that aspect.
    Last edited by daman; January 13th, 2010 at 08:07 PM.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    I'll say right off that I enjoy both RPG's (Oblivion is tha SHIIIIIIIIIII**TTTT!!!!!) and FPS (gotta love Halo), but I found Mass Effect to be well....kinda crappy. The combat was oookkaaaaaaaayyy, but the whole choose your own story format has been just.....blehhhhh for so long. For example:

    Guard: Yes, I can give you the key for this flimsy wooden door that you could easily blow to crap with that powerful spell/lasergun you've got there, but fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirst.........


    Quite lame.


    MAG on the other hand........[has a heart attack from awesomeness, but manages to type this out before dyinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn (paramedic: sorry, his finger was stuck on the "n")g]


    (after being revived and ressucitated) Epic
    I AM ODN

  7. #7
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Epic View Post
    I'll say right off that I enjoy both RPG's (Oblivion is tha SHIIIIIIIIIII**TTTT!!!!!) and FPS (gotta love Halo), but I found Mass Effect to be well....kinda crappy. The combat was oookkaaaaaaaayyy, but the whole choose your own story format has been just.....blehhhhh for so long. For example:

    Guard: Yes, I can give you the key for this flimsy wooden door that you could easily blow to crap with powerful spell/lasergun you've got there, but fffiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrsstt.........


    Quite lame.


    MAG on the other hand........[has a heart attack from awesomeness, but manages to type this out before dyinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn (paramedic: sorry, his finger was stuck on the "n")g]


    (after being revived and ressucitated) Epic
    MAG looks to be a FPS multi-player's wet dream come true from everything I've seen. I'm definitely looking forward to experiencing it.

    Mass effect's combat was definitely not on par with other shooters, but it looks like ME2 fixed that problem. As for the sci-fi story, you either like it or you don't. I enjoy sci-fi in general so that is probably why this appeals to me so much. And I agree that some of the classes and in ME1 were lame as some of the dialog didn't make sense. The most enjoyable character was definitely the soldier in my opinion. But ME2's classes look to be soooo much better. Except engineer. I still don't think I can bring myself to play that class.
    Last edited by daman; January 13th, 2010 at 08:54 PM.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

  8. #8
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    My beef was mainly with the style of story-progression, as in:

    Guard: Yes, I can give you the key for this flimsy wooden door that you could easily blow to crap with powerful spell/lasergun you've got there, but fffiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrsstt.........

    but I just don't like that kind of thing in general
    I AM ODN

  9. #9
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Epic View Post
    My beef was mainly with the style of story-progression, as in:

    Guard: Yes, I can give you the key for this flimsy wooden door that you could easily blow to crap with powerful spell/lasergun you've got there, but fffiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrsstt.........

    but I just don't like that kind of thing in general
    I understand what you mean. I guess those dialogs don't bother me too much. I just turn my brain off and go get what I'm supposed to get and enjoy the mission.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

  10. #10
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    First review game from Xbox Magazine with a 9.5 out of 10. This is very encouraging since the first mass effect on the xbox was an average 8.5. There are more many more reviews to go however to get an realistic average in my opinion.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

  11. #11
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,241
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    I stopped taking reviews by magazines and other organization seriously when games like Modern Warfare 2 started getting "perfect" scores. Everyone I know (at least the real gamers on PCs) who bought that game was salty that they took away dedicated servers. Great big ol middle finger to the PC community.

    MAG looks like it may be fun, but I am not sure how they will handle the massive bottle-necking that could easily occur in a game like that.

    If it is not coming out for the PS3 I probably wont get it. I gave up on my 360 a few months ago. I have been considering selling it. 50 bucks a year to play online, constant breakdowns, no dice.

    I might rent it to see if I should get it for the PC. If its good I might buy it on the PC.
    Witty puns...

  12. #12
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilPup John View Post
    I stopped taking reviews by magazines and other organization seriously when games like Modern Warfare 2 started getting "perfect" scores. Everyone I know (at least the real gamers on PCs) who bought that game was salty that they took away dedicated servers. Great big ol middle finger to the PC community.


    I might rent it to see if I should get it for the PC. If its good I might buy it on the PC.

    I agree that reviews can be shady. I can usually get a good feel though by reading the details of the review. Even if a high score is given I usually read some honest problems being glossed over that can throw red flags in my mind. I have to say that I respect gamespot.com reviews the most. They usually buck the trend and will give more realistic review scores which do tend to be lower than other review sites. But seeing a higher score than the last game give me positive hope. Of course I'm pretty much buying the game no matter what

    Renting is a good option for any game to see if you like it. If you do find you like it be aware it can be a lengthy game especially if you do all the side missions
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

  13. #13
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    DP J, MAG is only for the PS3, not 360, but there may be an adaptation for the PC, nut sure though.
    I AM ODN

  14. #14
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,241
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Epic View Post
    DP J, MAG is only for the PS3, not 360, but there may be an adaptation for the PC, nut sure though.
    You misunderstood me, and perhaps it was not as clear as I thought it was... although I thought when I said "if its not coming out for the PS3 I probably wont get it" I figured it was. Oh well, you can never over explain things to much

    I own 3 rigs: PC PS3 and XBOX 360 (older ones too, but those are not important). I may be selling the 360 as it is not as good as the PS3, although it has great games; the quality is VERY poor.

    I have a PS3.

    It is interesting, it used to be that games were ported from the PC to consoles. Consoles are still nowhere near as good as PCs are, and probably never will be. A PC is too big, and can fit too much stuff. Heck a PC has another PC built in it... the GPU. A PC dedicated with its own processor and memory to graphics. While consoles are fun, if a game is offered on the console and PC 99% of the time I buy it for the PC. PCs can cool better, and run faster. Consoles are just too small. They will either stay small, or become PCs themselves.

    It appears that consoles have become increasingly popular.

    ---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by daman View Post
    I agree that reviews can be shady. I can usually get a good feel though by reading the details of the review. Even if a high score is given I usually read some honest problems being glossed over that can throw red flags in my mind. I have to say that I respect gamespot.com reviews the most. They usually buck the trend and will give more realistic review scores which do tend to be lower than other review sites. But seeing a higher score than the last game give me positive hope. Of course I'm pretty much buying the game no matter what

    Renting is a good option for any game to see if you like it. If you do find you like it be aware it can be a lengthy game especially if you do all the side missions
    Come on man, a game today can NEVER be too long. I beat Infamous too quickly Batman Arkham Asylum too quickly, and almost every other single player game. MGS 4 was probably the longest game I have played since the Zelda games. I love those games. Long games are challenging, as long as they are still interesting.
    Witty puns...

  15. #15
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilPup John View Post

    Come on man, a game today can NEVER be too long. I beat Infamous too quickly Batman Arkham Asylum too quickly, and almost every other single player game. MGS 4 was probably the longest game I have played since the Zelda games. I love those games. Long games are challenging, as long as they are still interesting.
    Loved Infamous, but was definitely too short. Many games are way to short these days. MSG4 was a great long game that had good replay value. Fortunately Mass Effect was longer than most games and I'm guessing ME2 will be as well. If you played all the missions out it would be difficult to finish ME1 in a 5 day rental span unless you played 6 to 8 hours each day. However you can finish ME1 in 2 days (12-16 hours) if you play just the primary path and skip as much as the dialog as possible. Not as fun for me but people who just like the action enjoy that. I only play a couple hours a day if lucky so a rental wouldn't work for me. But your right a game can never be too long unless you feel pressured to finish it in a rental time span. But I figure if you don't like it you saved yourself a lot of money and if you really like you always have the option to buy. Just looking out for your gaming experience needs
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

  16. #16
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,241
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    I have always loved Metal Gear Solid. I really wish they would re-release 2 and 3 on the PS3. With the loss of Solid Snake I am not looking forward to Raiden. Don't get me wrong, I do not hate him as some MGS fan boys do, but its not Metal Gear Solid unless Solid Snake or Big Boss is the main character. As a matter of fact I bought a PSP just so I could get Portable Ops and the new Peace Walker when it comes out.

    A lot of people complained about getting rid of Snake, but every good story has an end. I mean, they have not stopped Max Payne, and it has totally lost what made it Max Payne (there is a 3rd coming out). I would rather lose Snake than have him live on in games that were not worthy of his character.

    It sucks, sure. But its better than being pissed when the series starts to go down hill.
    Witty puns...

  17. #17
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    They may still do it when the next MGS comes out. They re-released God of War I & II on PS3 for the God of War III release, which is awesome if you love brutal button smashing combo games. But I agree they should not force the series like Max Payne is doing at the cost of quality. I thought it rather humorous that in MSG4 that you have Snake dozing off and dreaming about his earlier 2d game which you get to play. That was very cool. I will miss his character. However I really liked Raiden's story. I thought he was a great side character in MSG4. It will be interesting to see how he does as a main character in the next release.

    What I really liked about MSG4 was the ability to approach the game in different ways. You can go in rambo style with guns a blazing or completely stealth mode with traquilizers. That is what I'm going to like about Mass Effect 2 with its different classes. I'll be able to replay the game using different combat tactics.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

  18. #18
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    1,241
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    Quote Originally Posted by daman View Post
    They may still do it when the next MGS comes out. They re-released God of War I & II on PS3 for the God of War III release, which is awesome if you love brutal button smashing combo games. But I agree they should not force the series like Max Payne is doing at the cost of quality. I thought it rather humorous that in MSG4 that you have Snake dozing off and dreaming about his earlier 2d game which you get to play. That was very cool. I will miss his character. However I really liked Raiden's story. I thought he was a great side character in MSG4. It will be interesting to see how he does as a main character in the next release.

    What I really liked about MSG4 was the ability to approach the game in different ways. You can go in rambo style with guns a blazing or completely stealth mode with traquilizers. That is what I'm going to like about Mass Effect 2 with its different classes. I'll be able to replay the game using different combat tactics.
    Yes it was a very well done game, and it tied everything together nicely. Playing the original game as a dream in MGS4 was pretty cool too.

    I am currently going back to do the game in total silence and not causing alarms at all. I am using all the tranquilizer guns, the silenced .45, and the knife. It is VERY VERY hard.

    I will rent it on XBOX and if I like it buy it on PC. It looks like it will be cool.
    Witty puns...

  19. #19
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    A look at the very interesting characters on your team.

    Quick Summary of all characters



    Subject Zero (The Psychopath)



    Thane (The Assassin)




    Grunt (The Savage)



    Samara (The Goddess)



    Miranda (The Loyalist)

    Last edited by daman; January 17th, 2010 at 04:22 PM.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

  20. #20
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mass Effect 2

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilPup John View Post
    Borderlands was pretty fun, but I did not like how little people there were (AI). In most RPGs there are whole towns and what not to interact with.
    I never played the game, but when I watched the video review they stated that playing alone is not much fun because of what you just said. Too little people. However, when you play co-op with 2 or more people the game increases the amount of enemies significantly and is supposed to be way more fun.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Demons
    By AuspiciousFist in forum Religion
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: March 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM
  2. Beyond the dark age of science lies the enlightenment of belief
    By disinterested in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: April 3rd, 2006, 04:08 AM
  3. The Hutchinson Effect
    By Zhavric in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 11th, 2006, 05:16 PM
  4. Possibility of Interstellar traveling
    By Nagasena in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: January 31st, 2006, 07:55 AM
  5. The effect of social opinion on the homosexual psyche
    By Fyshhed in forum Hypothetical Debates
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 16th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •