Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading Comphrension Problem

Arial Black
    Red
    I am extremely stressed out because I have just learned I have a Reading Comphrension problem.The suggesting of a meaning by a word apart from the thing it explicitly names or describes . I have read all my life and did at times have some difficult understand certain words.I love words and the different synonyms about the meaning of the words.I choose the meaning that I can understand and relate to for me. Is this wrong or should I accept the first synonym meaning which comes first?
    I am totally stressed out about this problem. Can anybody help me understand if my understanding is right or wrong? Thank you.
    Paul

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reading Comphrension Problem

Dont get so stressed out Paul. We all make mistakes. Im sorry if I got a little ticked off because you misinterpreted what I said. I just happened to be in a really bad mood that night.
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to learn all synonyms, and all the alternate meanings and connotations for different words, otherwise you will limit your own understanding when people use words in separate contexts.
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Arial Black
    Red
    Learning the ODN reply toolbar wouldn't be such a bad plan either...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zhavric
    Learning the ODN reply toolbar wouldn't be such a bad plan either...
    YOU are SUCH a ray of sunshine, Zhav!!!
    But if you do not find an intelligent companion, a wise and well-behaved person going the same way as yourself, then go on your way alone, like a king abandoning a conquered kingdom, or like a great elephant in the deep forest. - Buddha

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slipnish
    YOU are SUCH a ray of sunshine, Zhav!!!
    Oh, I don't want to hear it! :p

I forgot that "arial black" is a flippin' font. It took me about five minutes to figure out that

Arial Black
    Red

wasn't some kind of strange code.

I R 1337!!!111!!!11111!1!!!11!!!one!!1!1!1!!!!!

P.S. I know you loved the "one" in there.

Need to validate email

Life by the drop. I've come to understand just what that means.
    Post Thanks / Like

I am an ardent reader. I have educated myself on many topics through reading. Heck, I've got forty years of national geographics.
    A couple of suggestions;

I used to always read with a dictionary right next to me. When I saw a word I didn't know or I couldn't understand how it was being used looking the word up usually solved that. You say you love to read so don't let this stop you, keep reading.

Any impairment you have doesn't seem to affect you too much. The real problem comes if you are trying to write someone a letter or speak on a topic. For isntance I was tutoring a student and I notice he always would replace some words with others of similar meanings. For isntance where the sentence may actually read, "They simply could not get themselves to do it." He would read it as " They simply can't get themselves to do it".

He was able (with time) to correct it by reading out loud to me. When I heard a word mispronounced or replaced I would stop him and have him use the correct word and tell me the differences between that word and the one he replaced it with.

Funny thing is I have never taken any writing classes save for a "creative writing class" in college. I have nearly six-hundred of chicken scatch that I am having a terrible time at sentence structure and run in sentences. My wife is much better but doesn't have the time to edit either of the two books I have. I wish they could just "correct" themselves. I know I need to take another basic writing class, or find a book that will teach me how to structure sentences.

If you have read all your life then you can't be too far off the trail. Perhaps find an english teacher who would be wiling to spend a little time with you to alleviate the problem. As far as in here, I believe I hold the record for run-in sentences and misspelled words. In here, it's no big deal, plenty of us screw with the english language. Once you have identified your problem, (and you have), then the same people who diagnosed you should be able to offer tips to practice to rid you of it..........................:O)
    When the power of love becomes stronger than the love of power, there will be peace..........jimi hendrix.