Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Poll: Where are you on Dawkin's religious scale?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Where are ODN'ers on Dawkins' religious scale?

Dawkins posits that "the existence of God is a scientific hypothesis like any other." He goes on to propose a continuous "spectrum of probabilities" between two extremes of opposite certainty, which can be represented by seven "milestones". Dawkins suggests definitive statements to summarize one's place along the spectrum of theistic probability. These "milestones" are:

1. Strong theist. 100 percent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'
    2. Very high probability but short of 100 percent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.'
    3. Higher than 50 percent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'
    4. Exactly 50 percent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'
    5. Lower than 50 percent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'
    6. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'
    7. Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'

So, where are you on Dawkins' scale?
    Last edited by evensaul; May 24th, 2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: corrected percent separation typo, but can't change the text in the poll. Should have read the copy/paste carefully.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where are ODN'ers on Dawkins' religious scale?

I'm a 6
    .::The Swindall::.

"...In the beginning, man created god"

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a 6 as well.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I wen't with 6. I am aware of the limitations of my brain and my experience which could mean I missed some very important information that would provide strong evidence of God, or even a god.

For me the bottom line is this....
    Most religions look much more like attempts at creating a world view that meets psychological needs than creating a world view that accurately explains the state of existence. I therefore find it highly suspect as a truth claim.
    Last edited by Sigfried; May 24th, 2010 at 07:23 AM.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

(deleted).

Bad Sig. Bad.
    Last edited by evensaul; May 24th, 2010 at 09:06 AM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Nevermind my earlier comment. Editing as a courtesy to the opening poster.
    Last edited by Dionysus; May 24th, 2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Editing as a courtesy to the opening poster.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Based on the assumption that my sensory input and ideas on logic are correct, I am, contrary to most atheists, a 7 rather than a 6. My opinion that there is not a God is about as certain as I am of any other fact that I know. While I realise my senses are limited and I have no way of testing whether or not they're flawed once this problem is ignored I'm a 7.

I've had plans of expanding on why this is the case in a thread which will hopefully come to fruition when I've finished exam season
    -=]Eliotitus[=-
    "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    Bad Sig. Bad.
    Sorry Evansaul, I'll white it out for a bit.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a 2. I'm just about certain, but I stop short of absolute certainty. I've had my doubts (and occasionally do now as well).
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a 4. Mean I'm a Pagan or agnostic.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted 4, but I don't really think about it in terms of equal likelihood. I consider the existence or non-existence of a God as irrelevant to my life. 4 seemed the closest to that.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a 4. I acknowledge that there really is no way, in this day of age, for me to prove or disprove the existence of God or a god. Even if I feel there is something greater than me, I have no clue to what that is, or even if that feeling is true. Thus, true neutral.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I really hate polls. I'm one of those guys that always has a short answer (which is never on the poll), and a long, expanded answer (which is never EVER on the poll).

I can't put a probability on it. When asked "Does God exist?" I say, "I don't know." That doesn't imply 50%, or 1%, or 99%. It doesn't imply a percentage at all. If there was an answer like, "Possible, even somewhat plausible, but not very likely (according to how we perceive the universe based solely on our limited senses)," then I might have clicked that one. Maybe.
    The Signature Religion is the one true religion. I know this is true, because it says so right here in this signature.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

What would you guys say if I told you I was a one?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I am on 4.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

6 for me
    "I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world" - Richard Dawkins

"If you could rationalize with Religious people there would be no more Religious people" -Gregory House

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by czahar View Post
    What would you guys say if I told you I was a one?
    I'd say you are lying.

As for me, when debating I can only go by what the evidence will support, so when I debate I'm a 4.

Personally, I am pretty much convinced, from personal experience, that there is life after death. While it's possible that my experiences were delusions and such, that does not seem likely as I do not display signs of insanity (the experiences are tied to specific people who died shortly after they died and beyond that I do not experience things like that so I am not prone to what might be considered hallucinations) so I judge the evidence based on experienced to be valid and am a 2 concerning life after death.

Which likewise leads me to think there is a God of sorts - maybe not a being that ties into a particular earthly religion but "something" so that's a 2 as well.

When it come to specific religious claims, though, I'm more likely to side with the atheists (6 in most cases).
    Last edited by mican333; May 25th, 2010 at 11:19 AM.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Is the definition of God in the OP a specific God or a generic one?

Is it specifically the Christian God or just some sort of God whether it be Christian, Muslim, or just some sort of being on a higher plane of existence?
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daman View Post
    Is the definition of God in the OP a specific God or a generic one?

Is it specifically the Christian God or just some sort of God whether it be Christian, Muslim, or just some sort of being on a higher plane of existence?
    I'd go with a generic God. Or give a separate answer for each kind (generic and specific).

Post Thanks / Like

I chose 6. I don't think you need a Creator to put the Universe into existence. It very well could have happened by natural means. But I think a Creator or Creators is certainly plausible, especially when I hear about scientists creating synthetic genomes and miniature universes in a vacuum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast