Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

2012 GOP presidential candidates?

After Christmas this year -- possibly sooner, we'll get an idea of who will be running for president of the US from the GOP.

Other than Palin and Gingrich, who are both unelectable in a national general election, who will be running?

Here are three we could see: Newly elected Sen. Marco Rubio, a rising super star and son of refugees; Sen. Thune of SD, the grandson of immigrants and a man considered to be uniquely capable of clearly expressing "conservative" ideals in a compassionate way; and Gov. Bobby Jindal, son of Indian immigrants with strong conservative credentials who is well liked and respected by hardworking "blue collar" people of his state.

If the GOP is going to win in 2012, it can not run an old white guy. Mitt Romney could not win, he comes across as too slick, and right or wrong, too many people would have a problem voting, or getting fired up and working for a Mormon. It is not politically correct, but it's true. In 2012 Obama will get his mojo going again and we should expect to see large turnouts from college students and other segments like in 2008. To counter that the GOP needs to have all of its traditioanlbase support, but also make inroads with indepents who voted for Obama in 2008 -- specifically, suburban women.

I expect that come Nov. 2012, we will see at least on e of these three men on the GOP ticket. Something all three have in common is the ability to connect and get votes from indepedents and peoplewho have traditionally voted for Democrats. If I had to pick one -- right now, two years before the election, I would have to pick Sen. Thune. He has a strong base in South Dakota and when one visists there and talks to people, he has a lot of support there from people who want to see him run. South Dakota is also right next door to Iowa, and a lot of that enthusiastic base carries over the border there. A win or a strong 2nd place showing in Iowa will give Thune the sort of national coverage that propels a presidential candidate. Rubio is probably too new to the national stage, and for him to run for president now smacks too much of copying Obama, who began running for president before he was even elected as the US senator from Illinois. Rubio is smart and Charismatic though. I expect he will be having people pushing him to run in the coming days and weeks, even before he is sworn in. Jindal....His chances are just as good as the other two. I don't think he has the organization of thune, or the momentum of Rubio though. He is also very loyal to Louisiana and might feel he has a lot of work to do there yet. However, he has a compelling narative after the BP spill and his dealings with the Obama administration.

I would not at all be surprised to see a Thune/Rubio or Rubio/Thune ticket, or a similar combination with Jindal and either one.

In my opinion, Nov. 3, 2010, I think a Rubio/Thune ticket stands the best chance of defeating Obama, and changing the course the U.S. away from the left and more to the center right. A Rubio/Thune ticket will win votes not just from the all-important suburban women, but from the growing Hispanic vote as well. I am not saying that will be the ticket, but a ticket with that sort of appeal is what is needed to win against Obama.

Last edited by Spartacus; November 3rd, 2010 at 06:14 AM.
    "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born" -- Ronald Reagan

How can a moral wrong be a Civil Right?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2012 GOP presidential candidates?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Other than Palin and Gingrich, who are both unelectable in a national general election, who will be running?
    People keep saying Palin is unelectable. If she runs, she may get the nomination, because she has built up a whole lot of good will with the tea party Republican base. That is why the Repub elites are trying to stop her now. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/44449.html

Those establishment elites supposedly think Palin would be crushed by Obama. But I think preserving their own positions of power within the party is what they are really concerned about. None of them want to see Palin or any other tea party member at the top of the party. Some day soon Gallop or another organization will run a poll asking "If the election were today between Barack Obama and Sarah Palin, who would you vote for?" I'll be surprised if it isn't a very close contest at this point.

Newly elected Sen. Marco Rubio, a rising super star and son of refugees;
    2016, maybe. To run in 2010 he'd have to start running about two days after being sworn in as a first term Senator. No way.

If the GOP is going to win in 2012, it can not run an old white guy.
    Sure they could. One potential candidate will be able to claim that more than 800,000 jobs have been created in his state since 2000, more than all the other states combined, due to strong leadership, low taxes, etc. etc. He is Governor Rick Perry, of Texas. Nobody is talking about him yet, but he's term-limited as Governor and could jump in. Even though it may be a negative to be from Bush's Texas, he'd be a fresh face to most of the country, and has a conservative record of acheivement.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Please nominate Palin... please!!!

I always have a hard time predicting who's going to run and I find the pundits are pretty bad at it as well. Too much depends on peoples personal ambitions. Running for president is a huge commitment and can pretty much destroy your normal life, even compared to governor or senator.

I think you can assume folks that came close on the last round and are still young enough will come back for another go. There will usually be a relative newbie that will take a shot. You will get a few grognards that have no hope.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Post Thanks / Like

Two years ago I was certain that Palin would never be electable. But I have to say that she's certainly gained some credibility over the past two years.

As the unofficial voice of a grass roots movement, she targeted twenty house seats. 18 of the 20 were defeated. That's impressive.

Oh and Sig - There have been many Obama vs. Palin polls with varying results. Public Policy Polling (considered Democrat-friendly) had it at a dead heat 46/46.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    Please nominate Palin... please!!!

I always have a hard time predicting who's going to run and I find the pundits are pretty bad at it as well. Too much depends on peoples personal ambitions. Running for president is a huge commitment and can pretty much destroy your normal life, even compared to governor or senator.

I think you can assume folks that came close on the last round and are still young enough will come back for another go. There will usually be a relative newbie that will take a shot. You will get a few grognards that have no hope.
    No one thought Obama had much of a chance until the Iowa caucus. Iowa is right next door to Obama's Illinois. That did not hurt his efforts.

Thune is also right next door to Iowa. Unlike Obama's story, many Iowans will already know him because they watch the Sioux Falls, SD news and many Iowans have business and personal dealings with people in SD.

Thune speaks plainly and with a deliberate pace indicative of his upper midwest roots. That usually plays well.

No matter who is on top of the ticket for the GOP, the GOP needs to have someone who is preferably a minority, from the south. In this case Jindal and Rubio fit.

Jindal has already, quietly begun to lay a foundation for a run in 2012

And those of you who say Rubio is too new to run for president in 2012. Why not? That is exactlty what Obama did. the Dems could not make that an issue without also impeaching their own guy's credentials! He would also almost guarantee delivering Florida, as well as a huge chunk of the Hispanic and Roman Catholic vote. He is also conservative while not coming across as "mean-spirited".

IMO, Palin best serves the GOP, and her pocket book, by playing the role she plays now. A cabinet position in a GOP whitehouse though might be a good position for her. Put her in charge of the DOE, EPA, HHS, etc. for starters, and then move her up to something more prominent at the midterms if she is working out. Her attractive looks I am sorry to say works against her with many of the suburban women voters. When palin is older and is no longer subconciously viewed as a threat to many in that voting block -- then she'll be electable. She also needs a chance to demonstrate she is smart and capable of running something on a national scale. Unfortunately, women can be the worst enemy for another woman when it comes to careers.
    Last edited by Spartacus; November 4th, 2010 at 04:08 PM.
    "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born" -- Ronald Reagan

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

And those of you who say Rubio is too new to run for president in 2012. Why not?. That is exactlty what Obama did.
    Not exactly correct. Obama was elected to the Senate in 2004, and ran for President in the 2008 elections. That's four years. His campaign didn't start until he'd served in the Senate for two years. You're suggesting Rubio be elected President in just two years, which is two years faster than Obama. As I said, he'd have to start running two days after becoming a Senator, not the two years Obama waited.

...the Dems could not make that an issue without also impeaching their own guy's credentials!
    Not so much. What it would do is make Republicans supporting Rubio (after criticizing Obama) look like hypocrites, and would thereby diminish what little credibility the party retains.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure they'll find some idiot to do it, don't worry. Maybe it will be Sarah Palin. Oh god I hope it's Sarah Palin.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

As I earlier suggested might be the case, Sarah Palin would win in a nationwide GOP primary held today. And she isn't so far behind Obama to be unelectable. A lot can happen in the next two years.
    In a mythical Republican primary Ms. Palin gets 19 percent, including 25 percent of GOP women, followed by Romney with 18 percent, Huckabee at 17 percent, Gingrich at 15 percent, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty at 6 percent and Daniels, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and Sen. John Thune of South Dakota at 2 percent each. http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1295.xml?ReleaseID=1538

Interesting that Palin, Rick Perry and Bobby Jindal all have books out this fall.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    As I earlier suggested might be the case, Sarah Palin would win in a nationwide GOP primary held today. And she isn't so far behind Obama to be unelectable. A lot can happen in the next two years.
    In a mythical Republican primary Ms. Palin gets 19 percent, including 25 percent of GOP women, followed by Romney with 18 percent, Huckabee at 17 percent, Gingrich at 15 percent, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty at 6 percent and Daniels, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and Sen. John Thune of South Dakota at 2 percent each. http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1295.xml?ReleaseID=1538

Interesting that Palin, Rick Perry and Bobby Jindal all have books out this fall.
    Yes, people often win elections on 19% popularity.

The Republican party created the Tea Party movement and Palin to rally opposition to the Democrats. The irony here is that my prediction is that this will result in the following:

1.) Republicans will kick Sarah Palin out the nominations, because even the heads of the Republican party know that she's unfit for any political office, let alone presidency.

2.) She and other disgruntled Tea Party'ers will start up their own party or run on an independent ticket.

3.) This will detract votes away from whoever the Republican party will elect.

4.) Obama will win because of the fractured vote.

I don't know if it will happen, but it looks quite likely, at least at the moment. (The Republican party --which isn't entirely surprising-- has magnificent ideas on how to excite their base; the problem is that it's almost always short-sighted and done in a stupid manner that will backfire on them; and I strongly suspect that this will happen with the Tea Party. The heads of the Republican aren't stupid enough to believe in the Tea Party ideals, and I'm sure it was all an attention stunt, but either way it will likely screw them up in 2012, even if it helped them in 2010. Unless of course they really do pick Palin, in which case if she wins I suspect we will likely be forced to impeach her within a few months to a year of her presidency. This country really cannot afford 4 more years of someone stupider than Bush)
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix View Post
    Yes, people often win elections on 19% popularity.

The Republican party created the Tea Party movement and Palin to rally opposition to the Democrats. The irony here is that my prediction is that this will result in the following:

1.) Republicans will kick Sarah Palin out the nominations, because even the heads of the Republican party know that she's unfit for any political office, let alone presidency.

2.) She and other disgruntled Tea Party'ers will start up their own party or run on an independent ticket.

3.) This will detract votes away from whoever the Republican party will elect.

4.) Obama will win because of the fractured vote.

I don't know if it will happen, but it looks quite likely, at least at the moment. (The Republican party --which isn't entirely surprising-- has magnificent ideas on how to excite their base; the problem is that it's almost always short-sighted and done in a stupid manner that will backfire on them; and I strongly suspect that this will happen with the Tea Party. The heads of the Republican aren't stupid enough to believe in the Tea Party ideals, and I'm sure it was all an attention stunt, but either way it will likely screw them up in 2012, even if it helped them in 2010. Unless of course they really do pick Palin, in which case if she wins I suspect we will likely be forced to impeach her within a few months to a year of her presidency. This country really cannot afford 4 more years of someone stupider than Bush)
    I think Sarah Palin, if she runs and if she is not nominateds, would play ball with whomever the GOP chose. She's not stupid. She understands a cabinet position would be a logical step to one day in the future running for and being elected. She is still very young.

She would make a good sec'y of the interior or could also head of the DOE.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I think Sarah Palin, if she runs and if she is not nominateds, would play ball with whomever the GOP chose. She's not stupid. She understands a cabinet position would be a logical step to one day in the future running for and being elected. She is still very young.

She would make a good sec'y of the interior or could also head of the DOE.
    What in the hell does she know about the Department of Energy? As a person who's likely going to be funded by the DOE and the NSF, I strongly want her to not have anything to do with either.

Post Thanks / Like

What in the hell does she know about the Department of Energy? As a person who's likely going to be funded by the DOE and the NSF, I strongly want her to not have anything to do with either.
    As the former gov. of the largest oil producing state in the US, she is well-versed in the politics of energy. Cabinet positions are political appointments. Whoever wins the White House gets to choose. In a scenario where the GOp wins teh presidency and where Palin helped -- she will be owed.

Jindal seems to be setting the stage for a run in 2012

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225960915549

Sarah Palin says not once but twice that we are allies with North Korea when we are in fact allied with the South. This woman has proven time and again that she simply is not intelligent. Call me a Rove-esque swiftboater but America simply cannot be run by a woman who is this idiotic.

I'm eager to see if you try to explain this away as just misspeaking, despite the fact that she made the same mistake twice and didn't notice until she was corrected ( even then she did not react in a way that would indicate she was fully aware that she had misspoken).
    "I think when the history of this period is written, people will realize a lot of the decisions that were made on Wall Street took place over a decade or so, before I arrived in President, during I arrived in President."
    Dubya

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cdubs View Post
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225960915549

Sarah Palin says not once but twice that we are allies with North Korea when we are in fact allied with the South. This woman has proven time and again that she simply is not intelligent. Call me a Rove-esque swiftboater but America simply cannot be run by a woman who is this idiotic.

I'm eager to see if you try to explain this away as just misspeaking, despite the fact that she made the same mistake twice and didn't notice until she was corrected ( even then she did not react in a way that would indicate she was fully aware that she had misspoken).
    A non-story. She misspoke.

Did you think Obama was "idiotic" during the campaign when he said he had visited 57 states, and had just one left to go? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws
    How about when he was referring to "my Muslim faith"? Was that idiotic or just a Freudian slip? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVn59TC2QqM
    How about when he said the US Constitution was written 20 centuries ago?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiRhHqlzaG4
    Or maybe the times he didn't know what year he was born, claimed that 10,000 people died in a Kansas tornado, claimed a family member helped liberate Auschwitz, or didn't know the difference between Sioux Falls and Sioux City? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap2Cg_FDRy4

When people speak for a living on camera or radio frequently, they are going to get their thoughts or words jumbled occasionally. No big deal...except that Obama (and other dems) just flat out LIE much of the time. You want to start a thread about which side actually lies more? I'll meet you there.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

As the former gov. of the largest oil producing state in the US, she is well-versed in the politics of energy. Cabinet positions are political appointments. Whoever wins the White House gets to choose. In a scenario where the GOp wins teh presidency and where Palin helped -- she will be owed.
    Just like how living next to Russia made her an expert on foriegn policy? (Like how unbeknownst to the rest of the country, we actually support North Korea!)

You guys, it's just pathetic that you can't let this retarded woman go. Democrats have mostly admitted that Dennis Kucinich is an idiot, I wish you guys could do the same for your class clown.

Post Thanks / Like

Just like how living next to Russia made her an expert on foriegn policy? (Like how unbeknownst to the rest of the country, we actually support North Korea!)

You guys, it's just pathetic that you can't let this retarded woman go. Democrats have mostly admitted that Dennis Kucinich is an idiot, I wish you guys could do the same for your class clown.
    Frankly I hope she does not run in 2012.

Her negatives are too high. She does do a great job of "firing up the base" though.

Palin is very young. SHe needs some experince in some cabinet positions -- like Secy. of the interior for starters.

In another 15-20 years, when she is bit older -- and all her children are more grown, I suspect her negatives will decrease, especially with more of a federal track record.

Maybe her voice will change pitch a little too. I know many people find the northern "you betcha" sort of accent annoying and ignorantly assume it means someone is not mentally sharp or tough.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    A non-story. She misspoke.

Did you think Obama was "idiotic" during the campaign when he said he had visited 57 states, and had just one left to go? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws
    How about when he was referring to "my Muslim faith"? Was that idiotic or just a Freudian slip? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVn59TC2QqM
    How about when he said the US Constitution was written 20 centuries ago?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiRhHqlzaG4
    Or maybe the times he didn't know what year he was born, claimed that 10,000 people died in a Kansas tornado, claimed a family member helped liberate Auschwitz, or didn't know the difference between Sioux Falls and Sioux City? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap2Cg_FDRy4

When people speak for a living on camera or radio frequently, they are going to get their thoughts or words jumbled occasionally. No big deal...except that Obama (and other dems) just flat out LIE much of the time. You want to start a thread about which side actually lies more? I'll meet you there.
    Especially when they touring and speaking constantly in support of a new book release.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Frankly I hope she does not run in 2012.

Her negatives are too high. She does do a great job of "firing up the base" though.

Palin is very young. SHe needs some experince in some cabinet positions -- like Secy. of the interior for starters.

In another 15-20 years, when she is bit older -- and all her children are more grown, I suspect her negatives will decrease, especially with more of a federal track record.

Maybe her voice will change pitch a little too. I know many people find the northern "you betcha" sort of accent annoying and ignorantly assume it means someone is not mentally sharp or tough.
    I don't think she's stupid because of the quality of the sound waves she produces, but for the content being transmitted by those sound waves.

She's stupid, Spart. It's not that she's inexperienced, it's that she is totally and utterly f***ing ignorant, and has made it transparent she doesn't want to learn --why in the hell would you give someone like that a position of power? Not simply the presidency --any position of power?

She didn't know that we were not allies with North Korea... How do you f*** that one up? That's not a small misconception. She was a governor for years. How do you not learn basic goddamn international relations? Did they not cover the goddamn Korean War in her school courses? Or was she just absent from grades 5-12 because she was too busy prepping herself for beauty pageants?

Her existence in politics is a mixture of cosmic irony, a push-up bra, and American stupidity --and nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think she's stupid because of the quality of the sound waves she produces, but for the content being transmitted by those sound waves.

She's stupid, Spart. It's not that she's inexperienced, it's that she is totally and utterly f***ing ignorant, and has made it transparent she doesn't want to learn --why in the hell would you give someone like that a position of power? Not simply the presidency --any position of power?

She didn't know that we were not allies with North Korea... How do you f*** that one up? That's not a small misconception. She was a governor for years. How do you not learn basic goddamn international relations? Did they not cover the goddamn Korean War in her school courses? Or was she just absent from grades 5-12 because she was too busy prepping herself for beauty pageants?

Her existence in politics is a mixture of cosmic irony, a push-up bra, and American stupidity --and nothing else.
    Similar things can and have been said about our Teleprompter-reader-in-chief.