Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Abortion should be banned.

Abortion is an intolerable practice that is running down our society's morality and one that kills millions of living humans each year. It should be banned to save those that don't have a voice.
    孟柏民
    Formerly Neverending (for all you old-timers)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Abortion should be banned.

Abortion gives a necessary right to women over their bodies. The fact that they are destroying another person's body or potential body is irrelevant, because it has not been conclusively agreed upon when exactly life begins.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The legality of abortion is not about morality. It's about the limitation of government. While people are absolutely free to convince women to avoid abortions, those people are not free to preclude a woman's choice about her own body. Voltaire-esque: 'While I may disagree with what you are doing to your body, I will defend to my death your right to do it.' Until we start living in a totalitarian state, the American government isn't going to tell me what choices my daughter has about her own body.

[And yes, Mr. Browning, I am aware that this is a Role-Reversal thread]
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clive
    The legality of abortion is not about morality.
    So you are suggesting that morality should not be an issue? I would say that that is a dangerous assertion. Ethics should always be considered when deciding what should be law.
    Quote Originally Posted by KB
    The fact that they are destroying another person's body or potential body is irrelevant, because it has not been conclusively agreed upon when exactly life begins.
    No, we have conclusively found when life begins, or at least when the embryo's life begins: fertilization. The egg and sperm are two living, haploid cells that fuse to form a living, diploid zygote. The embryo is indeed living at all stages.
    孟柏民

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Ethics should always be considered when deciding what should be law.
    Laws targeted at immoral activity aren't always good. We don't have laws banning adultery. We tried Prohibition, but it was ineffective. Similarly, illegalizing abortions will do nothing to make them less frequent, only more dangerous to the mother.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Laws targeted at immoral activity aren't always good. We don't have laws banning adultery. We tried Prohibition, but it was ineffective. Similarly, illegalizing abortions will do nothing to make them less frequent, only more dangerous to the mother.
    But this isn't a case of a drug that is very hard to regulate, it is a serious moral issue. Every year, over a million human beings are killed for the sake of those who have been sexually irresponsible. Surely we cannot allow this murder to continue.
    孟柏民

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Every year, over a million human beings are killed for the sake of those who have been sexually irresponsible.
    Does "sexually irreseponsible" include rape and incest victims?

But this isn't a case of a drug that is very hard to regulate, it is a serious moral issue.
    Drug abuse isn't?

Surely we cannot allow this murder to continue.
    You're missing the point. Illegalization would do nothing to make abortions less frequent. Having a law in place simply to express moral disapprobation seems to be wildly unnecessary, especially in a FREE society.

"Laws do not change the hearts and minds of men."

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Does "sexually irreseponsible" include rape and incest victims?
    That would be more along the lines of sexual aggression. Irresponsibility comes when people give into basic sexual desires (not familial or violent) and don't think first.
    Drug abuse isn't?
    Huh? I said that abortion is easier to regulate than drugs.
    You're missing the point. Illegalization would do nothing to make abortions less frequent. Having a law in place simply to express moral disapprobation seems to be wildly unnecessary, especially in a FREE society.

"Laws do not change the hearts and minds of men."
    Well, freedom is not always good. If we illegalize it, we can delve deeper into the heart of the problem and provide an incentive not to have irresponsible sex.
    孟柏民

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Huh? I said that abortion is easier to regulate than drugs.
    Rephrase: So drug abuse isn't a serious moral issue?

If we illegalize it, we can delve deeper into the heart of the problem...
    Non-sequiter.

...and provide an incentive not to have irresponsible sex.
    This can be accomplished through less governmentally-intrusive means than criminalization.

That would be more along the lines of sexual aggression. Irresponsibility comes when people give into basic sexual desires (not familial or violent) and don't think first.
    So is there a rape/incest exemption in your model?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Rephrase: So drug abuse isn't a serious moral issue?
    Ok, I understand what you were getting at. Yes drug abuse is a serious issue. However, it is harder to regulate than abortion, since there is an addiction factor which allows a large underground network of drug cartels to work and largely evade law enforcement, whereas abortion is carried out in clinics which are much more easy to regulate.
    Non-sequiter.
    On the surface it may appear to be a non sequitur, but actually it is true. With abortion illegal, we can provide teens and casually dating couples with an incentive not to have unsafe sex. That way, STDs, pregnancy, and birth rates will go down.
    This can be accomplished through less governmentally-intrusive means than criminalization.
    But not to the same extent.
    So is there a rape/incest exemption in your model?
    Well, it is not the child's fault that such activity went on. Why should we punish an innocent life for a crime it did not commit?
    孟柏民

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neverending
    Well, freedom is not always good. If we illegalize it, we can delve deeper into the heart of the problem and provide an incentive not to have irresponsible sex.
    Irresponsible sex, in your opinion maybe. Not everyone has the same opinion on what is irresponible. People are going to want to have sex, risk of pregnancy or not. Besides, all we would end up with is children being dumped in orphanages if we didn't have abortion.
    -=]sbgtfJC[=-
    Just some guy

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sbgtfJC
    Irresponsible sex, in your opinion maybe. Not everyone has the same opinion on what is irresponible. People are going to want to have sex, risk of pregnancy or not.
    Having sex (especially unprotected sex) creates a significant risk that a new life will be created. Do you think that killing these new lives to escape the responsibility is an ethical route to take?
    Besides, all we would end up with is children being dumped in orphanages if we didn't have abortion.
    Luckily, we have adoption to prevent this sort of thing.
    孟柏民

Post Thanks / Like

The entire basis of whether or not abortion is wrong depends on the question of if the soul exists. What if it does, and every time we permit an abortion the soul is destroyed, effectively murdering the human person before he or she even becomes independent?
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The entire basis of whether or not abortion is wrong depends on the question of if the soul exists. What if it does, and every time we permit an abortion the soul is destroyed, effectively murdering the human person before he or she even becomes independent?
    Such questions cannot be answered by the government. The people do not have a right to force their religious views (which any opinion about the exact time of "ensoulment" clearly is) on an unwilling populace.

Having sex (especially unprotected sex) creates a significant risk that a new life will be created. Do you think that killing these new lives to escape the responsibility is an ethical route to take?
    What if the mother's life is threatened, or cases of non-consensual sex?

Additionally, when the mother's life is threatened, she should have the right to abort her child. Self-defense is one of the most basic rights that Americans have. If the mother has reasonable cause to believe that the baby is threatening her life, she should be able to defend her life, as it were, from the baby. A lack of intent on the baby's part is irrelevant; the question is whether or not the baby's life threatens the mother. If it does, then the mother can defend herself (as she did nothing to merit having her life endangered, unlike, say, a robber).