Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Poll: Which position was better argued and supported?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63
  1. #21
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukecash12 View Post
    Can you prove that sexuality isn't behavior?
    Not her job. You have to prove sexuality is behavior because you made a claim in the first place with that smuggled premise.

  2. #22
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukecash12 View Post
    Sir, the question is not whether or not they want to choose hetero. It is whether or not they can choose hetero.
    The question to you, Sir, is whether you could choose gay?

    Could you put your penis in another man's rectum? If not, why?
    Frozen In Time Yearning Forbidden Wishes Damned And Divine
    Scars Of My Broken Kisses What Will Follow If Tomorrow's Blind? My Eternal Night.

  3. #23
    Registered User

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Manteca, CA
    Posts
    1,443
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarja View Post
    The question to you, Sir, is whether you could choose gay?

    Could you put your penis in another man's rectum? If not, why?
    If you would read through what I and DaveId said in the thread, you would see that I actually made that choice.

    @Soren:

    Not her job. You have to prove sexuality is behavior because you made a claim in the first place with that smuggled premise.
    Actually, calling sexuality "behavior" is a default stance, given the fact that there isn't a definitive stance or set of stances on how sexual preference might be intrinsic to the psyche. I observe the behavior and call it behavior, that is all.

    But, you're right that I did smuggle in a premise there, and thanks for making me explain myself.
    There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.
    Nahj ul-Balāgha by Ali bin Abu-Talib

  4. #24
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukecash12 View Post
    If you would read through what I and DaveId said in the thread, you would see that I actually made that choice.
    You chose to put your penis in another mans rectum?

    You did that because you found the man attractive, and also because you are bisexual.

    Glad we could clear that up.
    Frozen In Time Yearning Forbidden Wishes Damned And Divine
    Scars Of My Broken Kisses What Will Follow If Tomorrow's Blind? My Eternal Night.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The North Pole
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    This doesn't seem to be the most scientifically explicit of threads, so I shall input something equally non-scientific, but cute none the less.


  6. #26
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    Obviously, if it was a choice, it would still be effected by environment. Regardless if it was choice or just environment, the environment would still be a big factor. What about homosexual kids in highschool? If they are bullied constantly, why wouldn't they just choose to be hetero? They can't, because its not a choice.
    Those who do not respond to reason can not be conquered by it.

  7. #27
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    Quote Originally Posted by superiorarsena View Post
    Obviously, if it was a choice, it would still be effected by environment. Regardless if it was choice or just environment, the environment would still be a big factor. What about homosexual kids in highschool? If they are bullied constantly, why wouldn't they just choose to be hetero? They can't, because its not a choice.
    Exactly. Why would anyone choose to be gay, when they do not have equal rights, are made fun of, etc.

  8. #28
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    *Waking up after a good night's sleep*

    Ahhhhh, what a wonderful and beutiful day it is today. I think I want to be homosexual today, spice things up a little.

    Ya.......... that doesn't happen.
    Those who do not respond to reason can not be conquered by it.

  9. #29
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I'm lost
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    Behavior is activity... sexual behavior is the sexual practices..

    Sexuality is more the same as sexual identity
    Show me the government that does not infringe upon anyone's rights, and I will no longer call myself an anarchist.~Jacob Halbrooks
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.~Benjamin Franklin
    "Go big or Go home"~ LoLo Bean

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Soren View Post
    Exactly. Why would anyone choose to be gay, when they do not have equal rights, are made fun of, etc.
    Depends on their location, some places do not suffer from those negative stereotypes, and sometimes, homosexuality (or more commonly bi-sexuality for girls) can be considered a major social plus (example at a college frat party).

  11. #31
    Registered User

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Manteca, CA
    Posts
    1,443
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarja View Post
    You chose to put your penis in another mans rectum?

    You did that because you found the man attractive, and also because you are bisexual.

    Glad we could clear that up.
    Have you paid any attention to the thread?

    ---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by superiorarsena View Post
    *Waking up after a good night's sleep*

    Ahhhhh, what a wonderful and beutiful day it is today. I think I want to be homosexual today, spice things up a little.

    Ya.......... that doesn't happen.
    That's because it seems implausible to you. You probably don't know why you're are attracted to people, but I know how I'm attracted to people. Does it make me sound like a big smarty pants to say that? Hopefully not.

    @Soren:

    Exactly. Why would anyone choose to be gay, when they do not have equal rights, are made fun of, etc.
    You're circumventing the logic I was using by appealing to our emotions.

    @Arsena:

    Obviously, if it was a choice, it would still be effected by environment. Regardless if it was choice or just environment, the environment would still be a big factor. What about homosexual kids in highschool? If they are bullied constantly, why wouldn't they just choose to be hetero? They can't, because its not a choice.
    So you're arguing for a circumstantial understanding of it. This is rational and I can agree with it.
    There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.
    Nahj ul-Balāgha by Ali bin Abu-Talib

  12. #32
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    I think that every person that I have heard claim that homosexuality is a choice was a religious person who belonged to a religion with a reputation for intolerance to gays. I can think of 2 reasons why they do this:
    1) Their religion encourages them to hate gay people.
    2) They don't want to believe in a god that makes gay people.

    Our conversation typically goes something like this.
    him: homosexuality is a choice.
    me: so you're just as gay as they are then?
    him: what?!
    me: well if you choose your sexual preference, then you're equally attracted to men as well as women - you just 'choose' women. According to your logic you are just as gay as a gay person, you just choose differently.
    him: I'm not gay.
    me: I know. Because you didn't choose your sexual preference. They didn't choose theirs either.

    Personally I believe that there is an element of choice for some people, but for the majority I believe that you don't choose; its inherent.

  13. #33
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    Homosexuality COULD be a choice. It is entirely possible for someone to just choose to be homosexual. But if it was this way for every person, then why would homosexuals being bullied continue to stay a homosexual? Why wouldn't they just change their sexuality and avoid all the extra suffering.
    Those who do not respond to reason can not be conquered by it.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Orange County,CA
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    I totally oppose GLBT rights.It is abomination against God and is destruction of a moral society including the God given precious institution of life that is one man+ one woman=one lifetime.
    Trust and Obey Thy God!

  15. #35
    Registered User

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    381
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Lemon View Post
    I totally oppose GLBT rights.It is abomination against God and is destruction of a moral society including the God given precious institution of life that is one man+ one woman=one lifetime.
    You may believe that it is wrong, but why are you opposed to their rights? I myself don't like how some people wish to infringe upon the rights of others, but I respect their right to want to do so. Are you somehow opposed to a couple fulfilling their dream of getting married, and thus being truly happy, simply because they both happen to be men? I think that's just cruel, as that couple never did anything to harm you or your family.

    Believe what you wish, but don't let your beliefs harm those around you if they haven't done anything to you. You can be offended, you can disapprove. I recognize and approve of your right to do so, but I still see no reason to be vindictive and restrict their rights simply because you don't like them.
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."-Plato

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Orange County,CA
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLocke View Post
    You may believe that it is wrong, but why are you opposed to their rights? I myself don't like how some people wish to infringe upon the rights of others, but I respect their right to want to do so. Are you somehow opposed to a couple fulfilling their dream of getting married, and thus being truly happy, simply because they both happen to be men? I think that's just cruel, as that couple never did anything to harm you or your family.

    Believe what you wish, but don't let your beliefs harm those around you if they haven't done anything to you. You can be offended, you can disapprove. I recognize and approve of your right to do so, but I still see no reason to be vindictive and restrict their rights simply because you don't like them.
    Homosexual agenda is to impose this filth down American people troats and force our kids to respect those filthy feces-eating perverts.To kill the institution of marriage between one man and one woman for life.America soon will be nothing,but a nation of degenerates.We got already many plagues like abortions,divorces+remarriages,fornications,etc.Ho w long will ignorant people did grave for America?
    Trust and Obey Thy God!

  17. #37
    Registered User

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    381
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Lemon View Post
    Homosexual agenda is to impose this filth down American people troats and force our kids to respect those filthy feces-eating perverts.To kill the institution of marriage between one man and one woman for life.America soon will be nothing,but a nation of degenerates.We got already many plagues like abortions,divorces+remarriages,fornications,etc.Ho w long will ignorant people did grave for America?
    Prove that all of what you have said in your first sentence is true. That whole sentence is a compilation of false and outrageous thoughts that have no basis in reality whatsoever. I must remind you that "feces eating" is a feces fetish, not a part of homosexuality. I am also unsure as to how a couple wanting to get married means that they also want to force things into children's minds.

    Your second sentence is only a purpose clause that makes absolutely no sense as a thought. Fix the grammar there.

    America certainly is degenerating, as you say, if people like you decide to make assumptions and spread flagrant falsehoods without proper support or reasoning.

    The "plagues" you list have nothing to do with homosexuality, and thus have nothing to do with this discussion.

    About your last question: I don't know, ask yourself that question. Exactly how long will you dig yourself into a pit of hate, intolerance, and falsehood?
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."-Plato

  18. #38
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    3,901
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    Caution: This thread is meant to discuss the formal debate that took place and which position was the best supported. There are numerous threads about homosexuality where you can go and debate this issue further or even start your own thread if you guys wish to. Please do not start debating it in this thread. Feel free though to discuss which side had the best arguments and why.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

    ODN Rules

    Join our Facebook Page here!

  19. #39
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    I thought JM, did a better job of presenting her case in a logical manner, and did a better job of both challenging and defending her position.

    Congrats to both for the hard work put in.
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.

  20. #40
    Edaps7
    Guest

    Re: 1 vs 1 homosexuality w/poll

    I would love to revisit this issue as I feel as though counter position wasn't fully defended

 

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •