Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone GOOD with computers? Or retrieving deleted information?

So, the situation is - My laptop has somehow deleted 2 folders full of music. One was an album and the other was a collection of around 600 songs. I have searched, and searched... And searched (in all areas of the laptop) and still cannot find it.

I then came to the conclusion that they've been deleted (not moved) from my laptop, so I downloaded restore programs like restoration and 2 others - they couldn't find any deleted mp3 files either.

I have no idea how this could have happened. There doesn't appear to be any viruses on my laptop, and even if there were, it wouldn't specifically attack 2 random folders in my music folder and THAT'S IT. It makes no sense...

Anyone know of any other ways to get these files... Or any other route I haven't taken to check where they are. I have windows 7, if that helps anyone.
    Last edited by Swindall; February 11th, 2011 at 07:45 PM.
    .::The Swindall::.

"...In the beginning, man created god"

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone GOOD with computers? Or retrieving deleted information?

Did you check the "Recycle Bin"?
    They could have, by chance, gone in there somehow.

If you haven't tried it already, my son used a program called "Uneraser" to recover some lost files on his computer:
    http://www.tech-pro.net/uneraser.html

He said it worked really well, and was easy to use.
    "As long as I have a voice, I will speak for those who have none".

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Do what Scarlett said, also do a search in case they just got moved somewhere.

Try various freeware restore programmes.

Failing that there are more heavy duty programmes you can buy or get off the net.

Finally there are professional services which go up to forensic levels but would probably be too expensive.

What I would do is go on this site

http://forums.techguy.org/

This is a massive site, with over 1000 people viewing as I write.

Do searches, and eventually maybe register and post a thread, the site is full of hardcore tech heads. They helped me once when I got some virus. It's mainly a Windows site, which I get the impression is what you are?

Or, shrug you shoulders, see it as a good time to re-format and do a clean install, so your system is running like new, hopefully.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the advice Scarlett and Manc.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the worst when it comes to loosing folders on my computer. Some how I manage to make them hidden. Make sure that isn't the case also.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." ~Bertrand Russell

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

If they got deleted by mistake, and you dont empty your recycle bin regularly, they should still be there. Remember to search the computer as well, if they arent there.

So, were they?

Post Thanks / Like

Go to "computer" then hold control, then press F. A box labeled "search results" will pop up. Go to advanced search.

Then go to "show music only," then type in the name of one of the songs you know got deleted. If this does not show any music then you know that they were deleted (this will search the recycling bin, too).

If the searching does not find your songs then you can try to do a system restore. Type it in "system restore" in the basic search bar at the bottom left of your screen (after you click the start button). You can now choose to restore your computer to a date that you know was before your music got deleted.

And I just realized I'm running Vista, but it should still work fine.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I did everything, everyone has suggested. I'm actually quite decent with computers as a whole anyway...

In terms of the restore point, maybe it's just Windows 7 but you can't choose your restore point further than an upgrade point. The laptop upgrades like... twice a week for different things therefore I can't go back far enough.

I might just have to come to terms with the fact that my musics gone