Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Geneism? Is it Coming?

Recently, I've been exposed to a new website that for $200 will take your DNA, analyze it, and return a summary of your risk factors for various diseases (and by various I mean a diverse and rather grand number of diseases). This supposedly can help you prevent these diseases from happening (i.e. if you have a great risk of heart disease, start taking Lipitor now).

However, the question was raised that if in 2011 you can get this done for $200, and let's say 20 years ago, the richest men on earth couldn't have this "procedure" done, then what would the price be in let's say 5 years.

That brings up another issue, however, which is the issue of "Geneism" as it is commonly referred to. Geneism is the discrimination based on the risk factors returned by one of these genome tests. An insurance company in the future might REQUIRE you to have one of these tests down, and after they pay the $200 or less for this test, they will have all of your risk factors for almost every disease pertinent, meaning they could then choose to not provide you with insurance if you had a lot of risk for developing serious diseases in early life.

Now, of course, laws have been passed against so-called "geneism". However, it seems impossible to truly enforce this in every case, as those ever-so-sneaky Insurance companies will be sure to find away around this law and any other.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Is Geneism going to become the next Racism?