Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Donald Trump for President ?

In a recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll, Donald Trump was found to enjoy a 17% of votes over a list of others candidate. It read (page 18):

Q17a Let me read you a list of people who might seek the 2012 Republican nomination for president. If you were voting today in the 2012 Republican primary for president, which one of the following candidates would you favor?

THIS TABLE HAS BEEN RANKED
    Mitt Romney ....................... 21
    Mike Huckabee .................. 17
    Donald Trump ..................... 17
    Newt Gingrich ..................... 11
    Sarah Palin ........................ 10
    Tim Pawlenty ..................... 6
    Michele Bachmann ............. 5
    Rick Santorum .................... 3
    Haley Barbour .................... 1
    Other (VOL) ..................... 1
    None (VOL) ...................... 4
    Not sure ........................... 4
    + Results shown reflect responses among registered voters

I contend that this is publicity for his reality show "The Apprentice" on NBC and that he will not run for President. His way of embracing the whole "Birther" debate is head-on and controversial, good to garner publicity, but not serious to run as President.

Oh yeah, he wants to take Iraq's Oil as well...

"The last thing I want to see happen is for Iran to go in and take over Iraq and the oil fields of Iraq, because we weakened that country to a point where they can just walk in. So I say, we take the oil."

http://mediamatters.org/research/201104040018
    A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.
    - Wayne Gretzky

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Donald Trump for President ?

If he were serious, I would vote for him. If only because he isn't a politician. He has a "kiss my ass" quality that I would like to see in a president. Also, he appears to have a better handle on foreign affairs than our current president.
    But I would much rather Newt .

I also think the presidency would be a ego thing for him. Which, oddly enough.. I don't mind for some reason. At least not with my initial response to the idea. I guess maybe I'm just hoping for another version of Ross Perot.. only.. from a major party and with a chance to actually win.
    To serve man.

3. Likes Someguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I guess with Beck's star waning and the right's final realization that Palin is truly a pin-head, Fox needs another personality to fill the gap. Maybe, he's really trying to pitch a political version of his show the Apprentice as part of his defection to Fox.

I don't think he's serious about running but now given the polls he may as well. He even beat out Gingrich, which gives me some hope for this country.

Shame about the Birther stuff though, but I guess disapproving of evolution is not the in-thing any more.

Post Thanks / Like

Donald Trump, Oprahs little gossip buddy? The Holly wood loving wannabe?

Not sure I like that vision for the leader of the free world.

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dunrich View Post

Why not? Unlike current government officials, he knows how to run a business (i.e. not in the red, yo). It's kinda like voting for Ross Perot... I would consider breaking my vow to never vote again if Ross Perot were on the ballot again.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

Post Thanks / Like

Run the oval office Apprentice style. Set up people for projects and whoever doesn't do well enough gets fired, lol.
    Those who do not respond to reason can not be conquered by it.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LP
    I would consider breaking my vow to never vote again if Ross Perot were on the ballot again.
    See, that is why you love me.. deep down we do think a lot alike.

Quote Originally Posted by LP

This is the thing about "The Donald". The presidency will not define him. While every other politician that runs will probably be defined by their presidency. I wouldn't expect Donald to retire to his ranch like Bush, or go work in the shadows of his wife like Clinton, or to become irrelevant like.... basically every other living president. 10 years after the presidency we will all still be talking about Donald trump in a way that has little to do with politics. (probably his next hot wife, or big business deal).

All that means to me, is that he will be freer as president to do what the nation needs, and that is fiscal sanity. It means he probably won't act like the normal politician. That right now is important to me as a voter. Finally, He has the "authority" that the people will believe him on his plans to bring the nation back to fiscal stability. As much as I may like some of the other candidates, their plan will rest on the authority of advisers that I do not know, or can not recognize.

That is what I see. I also see his many faults, but I'm under no illusion that we will get anyone without faults. In this case, I think his major fault, will to be to the nations benefit. Which is vanity.
    To serve man.

9. Likes Someguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Why not? Unlike current government officials, he knows how to run a business (i.e. not in the red, yo). It's kinda like voting for Ross Perot... I would consider breaking my vow to never vote again if Ross Perot were on the ballot again.
    Want to know whats really funny?

He is backing a business I bought into, on celebrity apprentice right now. A couple of my face book freinds, have pics up, with him.

Hey, I dont even hate Oprah. Wouldnt vote for Perot either. Mind you, I had a cousin on the MIA list untill the mid 70`s. so do appreciate the work he did there.

But what they repreesnt,,,, richest woman in the world, from Holly wood gossip? Then this tycoon, trying to weasel his way into this?

Sorry, I am just a boy from Yawkee Bush on the banks of the Detroit River, a "foot pounder" is what we call ,Grunts, as you know them south of then 49th.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Trump can be taken seriously enough to be considered a real contender. Kind of like Palin, he just won't weather the press storm well in my opinion. I mean, he's already half a joke, and a "sensational" celebrity as well (different from "serious" celebrities). We also have no idea what kind of dirt he has, either.

I'd like to see Paul or Huckabee, in that order, but I think Romney probably has the best shot. Then again, we also have no idea what kind of dirt he may have on him either... he didn't get that far in the last campaign for the real digging to start.
    The Signature Religion is the one true religion. I know this is true, because it says so right here in this signature.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dunrich View Post

Wait, are you talking about Trump or Obama?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vandaler View Post
    In a recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll, Donald Trump was found to enjoy a 17% of votes over a list of others candidate. It read (page 18):

Q17a Let me read you a list of people who might seek the 2012 Republican nomination for president. If you were voting today in the 2012 Republican primary for president, which one of the following candidates would you favor?

THIS TABLE HAS BEEN RANKED
    Mitt Romney ....................... 21
    Mike Huckabee .................. 17
    Donald Trump ..................... 17
    Newt Gingrich ..................... 11
    Sarah Palin ........................ 10
    Tim Pawlenty ..................... 6
    Michele Bachmann ............. 5
    Rick Santorum .................... 3
    Haley Barbour .................... 1
    Other (VOL) ..................... 1
    None (VOL) ...................... 4
    Not sure ........................... 4
    + Results shown reflect responses among registered voters

I contend that this is publicity for his reality show "The Apprentice" on NBC and that he will not run for President. His way of embracing the whole "Birther" debate is head-on and controversial, good to garner publicity, but not serious to run as President.

Oh yeah, he wants to take Iraq's Oil as well...

"The last thing I want to see happen is for Iran to go in and take over Iraq and the oil fields of Iraq, because we weakened that country to a point where they can just walk in. So I say, we take the oil."

http://mediamatters.org/research/201104040018
    When I was younger I used to wonder when the world lost it's mind. Now that I'm a little older I understand that the world never had a mind.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

Post Thanks / Like

Given the results of the mid terms, the current economy, and the general growing dislike for a growing federal bureaucracy and its accompanying debt. - I think many will respond favorably to an aggressively pro-business candidate whose catchphrase is: "You're fired." Voters will fantasize about unproductive, overpaid bureaucrats with fat pensions and benefits getting a taste of what their lives have been like. Millions who in another time would laugh off a Trump candidacy, will vote for him in this economy with an ever increasing federal payroll.

I think this is a time, if ever there was one, when Americans will respond strongly to a candidate who is not a career politician, beholding to no special interest group, and seems able to get people back to full employment again, while reducing the deficit.

Also...I expect Glenn Beck to work for Romney's campaign. It's a Mormon thing.
    "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born" -- Ronald Reagan

How can a moral wrong be a Civil Right?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t feel that the OP as been addressed yet, as the subject was to debate whither Donald Trump will run for President or not. The subject is not to determine if he is a good candidate. My argument, though I did not flesh it out very much yet, was that his embracing of birtherism is not something a serious contender would do, and especially not the way he did it.

He claims that he hired a private detective to investigate the whole Obama birth issue and what he (or they, it's not clear to me) tell him is amazing, stunning information. So far, all that he revealed was discredited information that WND (World New Daily) has been publishing for quite some time now, and been debunked with authority since.

If he really wanted to run, how long does he think he can milk this, “I have stunning information about Obama” without sharing that information? It’s senseless. No matter how rich he is, or how good one private investigator is, it does not matches the firepower of the entire world’s media attention and the hyper-motivated research capacity of the blogging community to uncover facts if there is anything to uncover. Do Republican’s really have the stomach for a candidate that gloss over facts and stumps on false information, when this charade is so easily exposed for what it is? The lie is so big, the Press will eat him alive.

For Donald Trump, what matters ultimately, is his name, in as much that it is a household name just like Timex or Nike. A name that’s associated with luxury, success and comfort. On a more personal level, he likes to be known as a straight talker with sound judgement. I do not believe that he would jeopardize his name and embrace birtherism without careful considerations.

It is my contention, in line with my OP that states that I think he is not running and only self-promoting, that he will be the one that will actually help kill the birther movement and that’s his exit strategy. His whole detective shtick, is I think how he will end up saying “I looked into it, and I did not find anything after all”.

Also, I can’t help but notice how Republicans (Notably Huckabee and Palin, but also conservatives on ODN) are complicit in not denouncing this rhetoric, as they stand to benefit from birthers chronic ignorance. Yeah, I’m though on birthers and will take anyone to a formal debate on the matter if one is so inclined.
    A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.
    - Wayne Gretzky

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    Also, he appears to have a better handle on foreign affairs than our current president...
    Based on what please ?
    - Wayne Gretzky

Post Thanks / Like

Relevant - he's tied for first in a CNN poll.

PDF of results here also show that Palin seems to be back in the running :-(.

Post Thanks / Like

Van, Shak, Dun...

The level of interest in U.S. presidential politics expressed by Canadians has always amused me.

I think Donald trump will run for office. Not only that, I think he might stand a good chance of winning the GOP nomintion, especially if he is willing to put up his own money to cover initial campaign expenses.

Republicans and independents want a strong leader. Given the sorry state of the U.S. economy, I think many evangelical voters might even be willing to overlook Trump's lack of church affiliation and rep as a bit of a womanizer.

Also -- Obama has not endeared himself with the radical wing of the Democrat party, and they, along with labor, are the ones who call the shots with them. Many of them, especially the young people who are in college looking at no job prospects, or recently graduated with a Bachelors and flipping burgers...are likely to stay home or maybe even vote for the Donald whom they have watched on TV...perhaps as much as they watched Obama.

Many Americans I think will find it refreshing to see a candidate willing to make some bold statements and call a spade a spade, especially from someone who has given every indication he follows through on what he says.

As for international relations, Americans want their president to be seen as doing what is best for America regardless of what the rest of the world thinks of us. Frankly, Americans really don't care about world opinion, except when it affects their wallet. Obama's bowing before the Saudi King and the Queen of England, will come back to haunt him. Americans don't like seeing their president bow before any earthly royalty.

So yes, I think he will run.

Beck will work for Romney's campaign.

I am also hoping Gingrich runs. I want to see him in the debates. I would also like to see him in a cabinet position. As a recent convert to the Roman Catholic Church, he could also inspire the conservative voters in that church to rally behind him, and the liberal voters in it to stay home.

I don't state this to be sexist, but I think Palin best serves the GOP by being a cheerleader.

ALSO -- for me the big question is will anyone be able to hire the toe sucker away from Fox to run their campaign?
    "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born" -- Ronald Reagan

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Beck will work for Romney's campaign.
    That would be a mistake, in my mind. Beck is such an easy target, and Romney seems a little more shrewd than that.
    The Signature Religion is the one true religion. I know this is true, because it says so right here in this signature.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VAN
    Based on what please ?
    I listened to him speak on china. His personal experience in dealing with the Chinese in his big business deals etc.

Because he has personal experience dealing with other nations in a business setting. It appears to me that he has a better handle on foreign affairs.

In relation to our current president, "The Donald" has a lot more experience in that area. Or.. at least it appears that way to me.
    To serve man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    I listened to him speak on china. His personal experience in dealing with the Chinese in his big business deals etc.

Because he has personal experience dealing with other nations in a business setting. It appears to me that he has a better handle on foreign affairs.

In relation to our current president, "The Donald" has a lot more experience in that area. Or.. at least it appears that way to me.

Trump has more experience internationally where it matters these days -- in business. I have heard him speak too, and something I think he said, I have heard from other foreign nationals as well. Essentially people in other countries like to complain about the U.S., but as soon as something goes wrong, or they need some help, who do they expect to be there...The U.S.. Americans should not take foreign complaints about our actions very seriously. More often than not, such complaining is done for domestic purposes.
    e has

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
    That would be a mistake, in my mind. Beck is such an easy target, and Romney seems a little more shrewd than that.
    They're both Mormons though...

...and did you hear what Beck said in his "farewell"? He essentially said he was going to get off the sidelines or something to that effect. Romney comes off as cold and aloof. I can easily picture Beck working for him coaching him on how to seem more "normal", less aristocratic...and better able o handle the Mormon questions.

And yes, every Mormon candidate for president needs to answer some questions. Mormons believe they are destined to one day "save" America when the US Constitution "hangs by a thread". No other religion has such beliefs.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I think Donald trump will run for office.
    Republicans and independents want a strong leader.
    But are you not bothered that leadership comes in the form of someone that seem to just have discovered the Internet, and has not yet grasped that you can't just trust all the theories that floats on it. He's going on about the birther issue, and telling arguments like he just learned about them, and oblivious of the refutations that have been around for more then two years now ! It's beyond pathetic.

Mind you, I'm fine with it, I am actually salivating at the thought of him running as an Independent, but I don't believe that either.
    - Wayne Gretzky

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast