Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Pray for our troops
    Posts
    5,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    RC Priest punished before investigation

    Fr. John Corapi has been a very popular speaker and media personality within the Roman Catholic and general christian community. His programs have been in regular production and circulation on the Catholic media outlets of EWTN and other Catholic outlets. His not-fopr-profit company also produced books, DVDs, etc.

    A couple weeks ago, Father John Corapi was placed on "administrative leave". This occurred, according to Corapi and his spokespeople after a former employee lodge a complaint with several Bishops that is not credible -- namely that Corapi is a drug addict who has engaged in sexual activity with the complainant and several other adult women.

    This charge, credible or not does not involve minor children.

    But Corapi's programs have been pulled from EWTN before any investigation could have been done.



    http://www.catholicnews.com/data/sto...ns/1101226.htm


    Father Corapi was placed on administrative leave following an accusation of misconduct by a former Santa Cruz Media employee.

    The priest denied any wrongdoing in a statement on his website March 18. He gave little information about the accusation except to say a former employee had "sent a three-page letter to several bishops accusing me of everything from drug addiction to multiple sexual exploits with her and several adult women."

    Ruffatto's six-paragraph statement referenced the U.S. bishops' zero-tolerance policy as outlined by the "Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People" and called for it to be changed "because of false accusations like this."

    Father Corapi has been an outspoken critic of the charter in interviews and during his public presentations.

    "There is no evidence at this time that Father Corapi did anything wrong, only the unsubstantiated rant of a former employee, who, after losing her job with this office, physically assaulted me and another employee and promised to destroy Father Corapi," Ruffatto said.

    "We all continue to pray for this person and we ask you to do the same," the Santa Cruz executive added.


    The RCC is not following its own guidelines in this manner if the charges are indeed less than credible.

    In a climate of ever more charges of sexual misconduct, assault and molestations -- the repercussions of which have lead some diocese to file for bankruptcy in the U.S.; it is very believable to this former Roman Catholic that the RCC in the U.S. is prone to over-reaction in cases where charges might not be credible.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlem...ex_abuse_cases

    This is all very sad.

    The required celibacy of the Catholic priesthood is a non-biblical and was based on Church financial interests rather than spiritual. Today, according to the Church's own report, many men enter into seminary because they are "sexually immature" and looking to escape from the world. every year fewer and fewer men enter the seminary and in the U.S. parishes more and more have foreign-national priests heading them.

    This gives parishioners a priest who not only does not understand American society -- but also is greatly unfamiliar with married family life, something the Church allegedly seeks to promote and foster. It also makes it possible for the Church, when allegations arise against such priest, to have the priests quietly removed out of the country.

    It is time for the Vatican to no longer require priests to be unmarried and celibate.

    The ridiculousness of this requirement is further made clear by the fact that Orthodox Christian and Anglican priests who are married and convert to the Roman Catholic Church, are allowed to priests in the Catholic Church while they are married!

    Surely some people feel called to be celibate. God Bless them. But this should not be a pre-requisite for being a priest.
    "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born" -- Ronald Reagan

    How can a moral wrong be a Civil Right?

  2. #2
    ODN's Crotchety Old Man

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Location, Location
    Posts
    9,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RC Priest punished before investigation

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    A couple weeks ago, Father John Corapi was placed on "administrative leave". This occurred, according to Corapi and his spokespeople after a former employee lodge a complaint with several Bishops that is not credible -- namely that Corapi is a drug addict who has engaged in sexual activity with the complainant and several other adult women.

    This charge, credible or not does not involve minor children.

    But Corapi's programs have been pulled from EWTN before any investigation could have been done.
    Sounds like somebody definitely has their priorities screwed up.

    This guy is immediately placed on administrative leave based on the unfounded claim that he got high and had sex with women *gasp!*, yet the former Archbishop of Boston, Cardinal Bernard Law for years contributed to the systematic rape of children in the form of covering up for and relocating offending priests is personally appointed by the Pope to the the position of Archpriest of Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome.

    Oh, and let's not forget that this piece of SH!T, who was *complicit in the systematic molestation of children, was ALSO one of the people who was allowed to vote on who the next Vicar of Christ would be in 2005.

    WOW.

    *"Ultimately, it became clear that, over several decades in the 20th century, priests and lay members of religious orders in the Catholic Church had sexually abused minors on a scale such that the accusations reached into the thousands. Although the majority of cases were reported to have occurred in the United States, victims have come forward in other nations such as Ireland, Canada and Australia. A major aggravating factor was the actions of Catholic bishops to keep these crimes secret and to reassign the accused to other parishes in positions where they had continued unsupervised contact with youth, thus allowing the abusers to continue their crime."

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RC Priest punished before investigation

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    It is time for the Vatican to no longer require priests to be unmarried and celibate.
    And let loose the fornicators into society? No thanks. Keep them to yourself - less competition that way!

    Seriously though, and this is why I think deity influenced moralities are such a terrible idea, how exactly are they to explain this given the thousands of years this has been in place?

    How would they unwind all the things they've said about sex in the past? Would the existing priests still have to keep their vows? And would the new ones be less of a priest if they don't make such a vow?

    Just like all vocations, its about personal integrity - if one takes a 24 by 7 job then one has to follow the rules with no break and no vacation. Why would you suggest changing a key component of the RC priesthood to satisfy those that are obviously too weak to handle it? That's kinda the point of the sacrifice in the first place.


    This is an long read about how this came to be; one can imagine them cogitating over this for a few more decades before being able to do anything about it. Given they took a few hundred years to acknowledge Galileo, I imagine social change, especially one as primary as this, would take a millennia.

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Pray for our troops
    Posts
    5,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RC Priest punished before investigation

    Quote Originally Posted by SharmaK View Post
    How would they unwind all the things they've said about sex in the past? Would the existing priests still have to keep their vows? And would the new ones be less of a priest if they don't make such a vow?
    The Churches of the East -- Orthodox Christian Churches -- have always had married priests. Only in the West did celibacy become mandatory. Even then this is viewed as "discipline" rather than doctrine, so any could Pope could change this aspect of the priesthood whenever he wants. There are married RC priests. One finds them in the 'Eastern Rite" Churches in communion with Rome, as well as Protestant ministers and Orthodox priests who have converted to the RCC.

    Married priests are married at the time of their ordination or are to remain celibate. Traditionally in the Orthodox Churches celibacy is something priests are discouraged from, precisely because it is so difficult. However, Bishops are elected from widowed or monastic priests.

    Should the Pope ever decide to change this discipline of celibacy, current priests would probably be expected to keep their vows of celibacy and it would only affect future priests.

    Studies done by the RCC seem to show that should the RCC change this discipline in the U.S., it would have a flood of new married seminarians looking to enter he priesthood.

    Today, if someone wants to be a married RC priest, the best chance a married man has is to convert to another Church, become ordained there, and then return to the RCC.

    I Like Father Corapi...I have often listened to him speak. I am very much getting the sense he is not being given due process within the Church's own stated procedures for handling such accusations. I have a personal story of how my family was affected by sinful priests and a diocese that was more concerned about legally doing the CYA, than it was about tending to their flock. I see this as more of the same: a poorly led national Church, hopelessly out of touch with its parishioners because it holds to a gravely flawed and fatal discipline.
    "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born" -- Ronald Reagan

    How can a moral wrong be a Civil Right?

  5. #5
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    According to Christians, just south of heaven
    Posts
    1,723
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RC Priest punished before investigation

    Sparty I think this is a case of the Church trying to be proactive for once. They've taken a beating in the media over the last decade and it's time for a change. I don't agree with what they are doing, I think it's a bit premature. HAving said that, the average person in the back of their mind is probably thinking, "Well here goes yet ANOTHER priest dipping his pen in ink wells it doesn't belong in."

    Also I think it is interesting that you don't want the priests to be celibate. IF they aren't celibate they will more likely become open with their fornications which also ain't goin to work. We need to allow priests a family should they desire that. There ARE biblical arguments put forth as to why a preist SHOULD be celibate and not have a family....but you are right that biblically there is NO requirement.

    I think the church is just trying to avoid the deluge of bad press they could get. IT;s like coaches of football teams punishing themselves BEFORE the NCAA finishes the investigation.

    In Heaven there is no beer. That's why we drink it here.

    Rogue Cardinal, Member of the God-Awful Atheist Syndicate


  6. #6
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Pray for our troops
    Posts
    5,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RC Priest punished before investigation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Cardinal View Post
    Sparty I think this is a case of the Church trying to be proactive for once. They've taken a beating in the media over the last decade and it's time for a change. I don't agree with what they are doing, I think it's a bit premature. HAving said that, the average person in the back of their mind is probably thinking, "Well here goes yet ANOTHER priest dipping his pen in ink wells it doesn't belong in."

    Also I think it is interesting that you don't want the priests to be celibate. IF they aren't celibate they will more likely become open with their fornications which also ain't goin to work. We need to allow priests a family should they desire that. There ARE biblical arguments put forth as to why a preist SHOULD be celibate and not have a family....but you are right that biblically there is NO requirement.

    I think the church is just trying to avoid the deluge of bad press they could get. IT;s like coaches of football teams punishing themselves BEFORE the NCAA finishes the investigation.
    RC -- when I speak of having non-celibate priests, I am talking about married priests with children and the works. This is how it is the Eastern Orthodox Churches, and how it was for the first centuries of the Roman Church.

    Eliminating the celibate discipline would breath new life into the Roman Catholic Church in the U.S. and will have the side effect of filling the bankrupt coffers...long term.

    What the church has done to Corapi is OVER-react.
    "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born" -- Ronald Reagan

    How can a moral wrong be a Civil Right?

  7. #7
    ODN's Crotchety Old Man

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Location, Location
    Posts
    9,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RC Priest punished before investigation

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    What the church has done to Corapi is OVER-react.
    I think RC agrees. I suspect this is why he said "I don't agree with what they are doing, I think it's a bit premature."

    I think the problem is probably bigger than a rule, though. When you have an organization where there is a leader whose word is considered infallible (and yes, I know that the Orthodox church rejects papal infallibility), it encourages an environment where ridiculous rules can be promulgated and no one feels empowered to resist it. In many ways the idea that someone or something cannot be wrong and cannot be challenged results in the sort of perversions that the RC church is now reeling from. This overreaction on the part of the RC church is most likely a result of the contempt aimed at the church now.

  8. #8
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Pray for our troops
    Posts
    5,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RC Priest punished before investigation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
    I think RC agrees. I suspect this is why he said "I don't agree with what they are doing, I think it's a bit premature."

    I think the problem is probably bigger than a rule, though. When you have an organization where there is a leader whose word is considered infallible (and yes, I know that the Orthodox church rejects papal infallibility), it encourages an environment where ridiculous rules can be promulgated and no one feels empowered to resist it. In many ways the idea that someone or something cannot be wrong and cannot be challenged results in the sort of perversions that the RC church is now reeling from. This overreaction on the part of the RC church is most likely a result of the contempt aimed at the church now.
    And in the past.

    The insistence on papal infalability is what caused the Great Schism of 1054.

    It further led to the Protestant reformation.

    Now it is leading to the financial bankrupting of U.S dioceses, and a near cessation of U.S. men entering the priesthood -- good men like Corapi.
    "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born" -- Ronald Reagan

    How can a moral wrong be a Civil Right?

  9. #9
    ODN's Crotchety Old Man

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Location, Location
    Posts
    9,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RC Priest punished before investigation

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    And in the past.

    The insistence on papal infalability is what caused the Great Schism of 1054.

    It further led to the Protestant reformation.

    Now it is leading to the financial bankrupting of U.S dioceses, and a near cessation of U.S. men entering the priesthood.
    I don't doubt it. Again, this is one of those instances where I think the Orthodox church gets it right. Metaphysical claims notwithstanding, it seems to me that the Orthodox church tries to be as practical as it can be when it comes to the overall human condition relative to what the faith promotes. I do like that much about that particular church, even if I disagree with it in a number of other ways.

  10. #10
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Pray for our troops
    Posts
    5,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RC Priest punished before investigation

    Corapi has a voice and manner made for radio and TV. He also has a compelling personal story, being a suicidal drug addict in 1984.

    http://youtu.be/mhAyEZR4gUk

    "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born" -- Ronald Reagan

    How can a moral wrong be a Civil Right?

  11. #11
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    According to Christians, just south of heaven
    Posts
    1,723
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RC Priest punished before investigation

    HE must be back on the air....I just watched his show last night......I had to come back to this thread to make sure I had the guy right. I thought as I was flipping through channels...."Hell that's the dude Sparty was talking about."

    So perhaps the CAtholics pulled him off of their network....but some other network...sorry I didn't pay attention to the channel.....still had his show on.

    In Heaven there is no beer. That's why we drink it here.

    Rogue Cardinal, Member of the God-Awful Atheist Syndicate


  12. #12
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Pray for our troops
    Posts
    5,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RC Priest punished before investigation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Cardinal View Post
    HE must be back on the air....I just watched his show last night......I had to come back to this thread to make sure I had the guy right. I thought as I was flipping through channels...."Hell that's the dude Sparty was talking about."

    So perhaps the CAtholics pulled him off of their network....but some other network...sorry I didn't pay attention to the channel.....still had his show on.
    There is a growing rebellious Catholic movement today.

    I was not able to find any news items that his suspension has been lifted. I wish I knew the network or channel you saw him on.
    "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born" -- Ronald Reagan

    How can a moral wrong be a Civil Right?

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •