Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Cars, Planes , Trains, any thing that moves.

Any Car nuts, motor heads, bike riders, Bonneville speed record nuts, Pilots and Plane freindly persons on here?

I have to admit, I was dissapointed when coming to ODN, that there wasnt a gorup for that.

I am a speed Junky.

When other Canadian kids, were watching hockey, I was saving my allowance so I could send it to a cousin in GB, so he could send me the latest news from my meccas, LeMans and Monaco. See how my heroes, Jimmy Clark and Grhaam Hill were doing.

Born in Windsor, suburb if you will of Detroit, in an auto making family, my most memorobile memories are the family argumuments about Cars. Ford verse Chevy, then my Dad who loved Brit S##t.

Anyway, I love them all. Mopar top end found in my buddies Super Bee, 1/4 mile snap in my 69 Goat with ram air, late night hot summer night top down cruses in my MGB and 69 Monaco convertable.

But hoping to comply with ODN rules, it has to be an us verse them,,,,

So, I state , the most beautiful Cars , Motor Bikes, ever made, were from Britain. Best Planes, North America.

Best looking Car`s in the world, are the Bentley speed six,Jag E types, Healey 3000, and today ,,,, Astin Martin. Nicest Plane, the Moody. Nicest Bikes ever, Vincent and Norton.

Anyway, I dare you to say diffeerntly, feel free to talk about what you drive, what you want to drive, what you love, and if you fly,,,, lol,,, tell me the cheapest place to get a lic.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cars, Planes , Trains, any thing that moves.

Quote Originally Posted by dunrich View Post
    Any Car nuts, motor heads, bike riders, Bonneville speed record nuts, Pilots and Plane freindly persons on here?

I have to admit, I was dissapointed when coming to ODN, that there wasnt a gorup for that.

I am a speed Junky.

When other Canadian kids, were watching hockey, I was saving my allowance so I could send it to a cousin in GB, so he could send me the latest news from my meccas, LeMans and Monaco. See how my heroes, Jimmy Clark and Grhaam Hill were doing.

Born in Windsor, suburb if you will of Detroit, in an auto making family, my most memorobile memories are the family argumuments about Cars. Ford verse Chevy, then my Dad who loved Brit S##t.

Anyway, I love them all. Mopar top end found in my buddies Super Bee, 1/4 mile snap in my 69 Goat with ram air, late night hot summer night top down cruses in my MGB and 69 Monaco convertable.

But hoping to comply with ODN rules, it has to be an us verse them,,,,

So, I state , the most beautiful Cars , Motor Bikes, ever made, were from Britain. Best Planes, North America.

Best looking Car`s in the world, are the Bentley speed six,Jag E types, Healey 3000, and today ,,,, Astin Martin. Nicest Plane, the Moody. Nicest Bikes ever, Vincent and Norton.

Anyway, I dare you to say diffeerntly, feel free to talk about what you drive, what you want to drive, what you love, and if you fly,,,, lol,,, tell me the cheapest place to get a lic.
    Can we really objectively debate aesthetics? I mean, the "best looking" thing in just about any category comes down to one's opinion on the matter. I think it's nigh impossible to have a productive debate on the matter.

That said, everyone knows that the classic American muscle cars are the finest vehicles ever produced. Binary logic, son. Don't even try to argue.

Post Thanks / Like

That said, everyone knows that the classic American muscle cars are the finest vehicles ever produced. Binary logic, son. Don't even try to argue
    Degrees of beauty, can be argued for sure. One`s heart can be stirred by Mark Donahue driving the Javelin, as much as when he drove the Camero,,,,, But then again, Parnelli Jones Mustang at Riverside,surely set a new standard in Beauty.

But, it all all pales when one watches the complete morgusboard of eye pleasure found in the movie Bullet, with a Shelby and Charger side by side on the streets of San Francisco.

Are you claiming, beauty, is objective and not subjective when you say :"knows that the classic American muscle cars are the finest vehicles ever produced"

Can you say that though, while watching that watching that horrific scene in the original italian job movie, , and they destroy the Aston and Jag E type? I am still crying, 40 years after viewing that.

Post Thanks / Like

Comparatively there are probably 'better' cars, but not in my books. I drooled over my mitsubishi eclipse long before I was ever able to have one. And now that I do, I think I need to love it and the speed it enables me to enjoy just a tad less!

Fricken laws anyway, lol..
    "We are the paradox to unite all duality.." ~Unknown

Post Thanks / Like

Comparatively there are probably 'better' cars, but not in my books. I drooled over my mitsubishi eclipse long before I was ever able to have one. And now that I do, I think I need to love it and the speed it enables me to enjoy just a tad less!

Fricken laws anyway, lol..
    I like the Eclipse, almost bought one of the older models back in 04, nicest blue you ever saw. But man, 3 kids,,,,, I cried having to buy a Grand Prix,,, lol.

I love the Ram, even though I am a sports car lover. I got in 08 when fuel prices went crazy, for half price. I needed a truck for the business, or thought I would. Anyway, wasnt crazy about a Ram, but with the price, had to look at one. Took a test drive on the 401, tromped her, heard that Hemi and smiled for days afterwards. Wasn`t a hard sell at all.

Dont mention law to me today, spent a lot setting something up. Police check I had 3 months ago, took 2 days. Now, its 120 days, because of a silly law based on birth days,,,,, so my business venture is kaput, cant wait that long. LOL, set the cruise at 140 kilks today, almost hoped I would get pulled over, give me an oppurtunity to tell a Cop off, lol, not too smart, I know.

Last year I got to drive a Lombargini Gallardo, owened by a business partenr, wow, what an expierience. Got back and got into my Neon, lol, did it ever feel pathetic.

I think Aston Martin, is the best looking Car today. I love their green one they run in the American LeMans series, every time it comes around to my part of the track, my heart beat picks up.

But for reasonable priced vehicles, in Canada with our winters? I think the Ecliipse is one of the best sports cars to buy, I agree. That yellow though, sure attracts the Mounties attention, lol, maybe you should paint it a dull brown.? Lady Lead foots, lol, need to avoid bright colours.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

German engineering is the best, and that is not because I am Afrikaans, it is because I know so.

I love BMW, and for me it is probably the best car ever made. It is safe, it is fast, it is luxurious, it is sexy and not too expensive.

I love speed too. I always say if I should get in an accident, I prefer to die instantly than to sit in a wheelchair. So I drive (if I know it is safe to do so) at 160km/h. Unfortunately our law enforcement changed recently, so speeding is very expensive nowadays.

That is why I would have loved to live in Germany.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a motorcycle guy myself. I have been riding off and on since I was 7 when I got my first dirt bike. I sometimes miss the dirt bikes but I can ride on the street every day. I wouldn't have the same luxury if I had a dirt bike. If I win the lottery I will have both. This is my current ride. It's pretty much my daily commute except during inclement weather. 2008 FJR1300AE.

If you're a motorcycle lover and look closely you'll notice there is no clutch lever on the left handlebar. It has an electronically controlled clutch and a paddle shifter. Oh yea Baby! It also has an electric windshield, grip warmers, glove box with D/C plug, anti-lock brakes, and more. I love this thing.

FJR1300KingstonSprings

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I love:

Cars, motorcycles (specifically dirt bikes) and trucks *by trucks I mean real big rigs, tractors*.

I own a 2004 Mustang GT, which I will eventually have to sell due to... well money issues.

Sadly, my other hobbies trump the importance of something that costs almost 50 dollars to fill up from empty.

I enjoy fast cars a great deal. If I were wealthy I would most likely buy a Porsche 911 GT3 RS, or a Corvette. There was a company out there that made a total Carbon Fiber Corvette that was built specifically for time trials. I would take that over any production Corvette any day.

I would love to also get an older muscle car, Impala, Charger, and even the old Pony Cars Mustang, Camarao.

I am thinking about buying a dirt bike as well to get my danger fix. The car is just too expensive, insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. It is starting to take up too much of my resources, and while I love it its time for it to go. I was thinking about a motorcycle, but dirt bikes are just soooo cheap! They are simple to work on and easy to maintain. Regular motorcycles are a bit more complex, as they have more features.

I work in the trucking industry as well, and have recently developed a love for big rigs. Specifically the old fashioned box noses:

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking about buying a dirt bike as well to get my danger fix. The car is just too expensive, insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. It is starting to take up too much of my resources, and while I love it its time for it to go. I was thinking about a motorcycle, but dirt bikes are just soooo cheap! They are simple to work on and easy to maintain. Regular motorcycles are a bit more complex, as they have more features.
    Love them! And yea, its a real cheap fix for adrenaline junkys. I use to have a Yamaha 185, lived up North with ,miles and miles of Crown land, pole lines to travel. If it wasnt for smashed wrists from a few years ago, and tearing both shoulers rotatar cuffs, I would be looing for one my self.

I work in the trucking industry as well, and have recently developed a love for big rigs. Specifically the old fashioned box noses:
    Yea, nothing can stir the soul like a Pete or Kenworth. When I drove, too many years ago, lol, I was stuck in a cab over International Transtar. My Brother has a Ken worth.

One thing, I would love to have more than that thoiugh, is a tank. Kinda partial to that being the best all time toy around the farm, kinda thing. lol. Maybe a Sherman with a 17 inch anti tank gun on it ? If I was rich, I would have workers making up mock Panzers, place them around the place, just run around blowing them up. Playing Monty verse Rommel.

Beats the heck out of golf and growing up, , I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aspoestertjie View Post
    German engineering is the best, and that is not because I am Afrikaans, it is because I know so.
    I agree that the Germans are the best at most fields of engineering, but I don't like their cars. The problem is that they are designing for Germany, where I imagine they have very good roads, cheap spare parts, high quality petrol and the people service their cars very frequently and only keep them for 5 years. In conditions other than these they are always breaking down.

Give me a Japanese car that is rugged and can be neglected and still last 20 years.
    No free man shall be seized or imprisoned, or stripped of his rights or possessions, or outlawed or exiled, or deprived of his standing in any other way, nor will we proceed with force against him, or send others to do so, except by the lawful judgement of his equals or by the law of the land.
    - The Magna Carta, 1225

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Love them! And yea, its a real cheap fix for adrenaline junkys. I use to have a Yamaha 185, lived up North with ,miles and miles of Crown land, pole lines to travel. If it wasnt for smashed wrists from a few years ago, and tearing both shoulers rotatar cuffs, I would be looing for one my self.
    It was a lot of fun, even just riding around. I am looking at a Honda that will run me around 1500 or so used. I am looking at the 235. Seems nice, and big enough to keep me satisfied. Plus, for that price... come on. And it barely takes any gas.
    Yea, nothing can stir the soul like a Pete or Kenworth. When I drove, too many years ago, lol, I was stuck in a cab over International Transtar. My Brother has a Ken worth.
    Yeah, you can still find a few of those old cab overs on the road. They did a study that apparently found they had the least wind resistance. But a lot of guys don't like the idea of not having that big engine directly in front of them.

Ken worth, Pete, great companies with solid trucks, A lot of our guys have Kenworth's and a few have Pete's. The guys who keep em nice and clean and shiny, oh boy are those babies pretty.

Its a shame the trucking industry has become so regulated... a lot of young guys don't get in because its so damn hard, especially in tankers. The average age of the US trucker is 54 I think. I know it is in the 50s. We have some drivers in their 70s!

One thing, I would love to have more than that thoiugh, is a tank. Kinda partial to that being the best all time toy around the farm, kinda thing. lol. Maybe a Sherman with a 17 inch anti tank gun on it ? If I was rich, I would have workers making up mock Panzers, place them around the place, just run around blowing them up. Playing Monty verse Rommel.

Beats the heck out of golf and growing up, , I think.
    I would like to get an old M48 Patton to play with, but I wouldn't play with the main gun. I want the crank up a .50 cal browning to cut some forest down.

Golf, ugh what a boring game.

Post Thanks / Like

I love BMW, and for me it is probably the best car ever made. It is safe, it is fast, it is luxurious, it is sexy and not too expensive.

I love speed too. I always say if I should get in an accident, I prefer to die instantly than to sit in a wheelchair. So I drive (if I know it is safe to do so) at 160km/h. Unfortunately our law enforcement changed recently, so speeding is very expensive nowadays.

That is why I would have loved to live in Germany.
    My Sons G/F has a BMW Z4, nice little car.

I like BMW`S, especially the Bikes. But I find German cars to be over rated. VW`s esepecially .

My one Daughter is living in Germany right now, she doesnt like it though. She preferred England and home here.

Post Thanks / Like

I love fast cars, and I agree that the classic American muscle cars are awesome.

When I was a senior in high school my car (Toyota Corolla) broke down, so my grand mother offered to let me use her vehicle for a while. I wasn't thrilled about this, as I wasn't sure what kind of "granny" car I'd have to drive. Imagine my surprise when the car turned out to be a '68 Chevy Nova. I was hooked. If I had my pick though, I'd drive a '68 or '69 Camaro.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djazzy View Post
    I love fast cars, and I agree that the classic American muscle cars are awesome.

When I was a senior in high school my car (Toyota Corolla) broke down, so my grand mother offered to let me use her vehicle for a while. I wasn't thrilled about this, as I wasn't sure what kind of "granny" car I'd have to drive. Imagine my surprise when the car turned out to be a '68 Chevy Nova. I was hooked. If I had my pick though, I'd drive a '68 or '69 Camaro.
    If we're talking dream muscle cars it would have to be the '68 Ford GT500KR Convertible for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    If we're talking dream muscle cars it would have to be the '68 Ford GT500KR Convertible for me.
    I am a Chevy girl at heart, and now that the choice is mine, I won't drive anything else, but I have to say that is a VERY nice choice.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Lager, you gotta be over 40 years old...

What is it about guys when they get older they want convertibles?

I'd love to get a 67 Shelby GT500.

Convertible is not fast enough for me. I want a race car, no traction control, stability control, no ABS either...

I drove a car like that once and it scared the living hell outa me. I liked that feeling. I want to test drive that Porsche GT3RS... but i think they will just laugh me off the lot...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DevilPup John View Post
    Lager, you gotta be over 40 years old...

What is it about guys when they get older they want convertibles?

I'd love to get a 67 Shelby GT500.

Convertible is not fast enough for me. I want a race car, no traction control, stability control, no ABS either...

I drove a car like that once and it scared the living hell outa me. I liked that feeling. I want to test drive that Porsche GT3RS... but i think they will just laugh me off the lot...
    Not there yet. I just like it. There's not an American muscle car that is actually fast enough to scare the hell out of me. They're just usually geared too high. Now that GT3RS, that's a car! If I could have any car in the world it would definitely start with Porsche. Maybe a GT3, a 911 Turbo. Who knows? But it would have to come from Stuttgart, that much is for sure.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by djazzy View Post
    I am a Chevy girl at heart, and now that the choice is mine, I won't drive anything else, but I have to say that is a VERY nice choice.
    Well you know I'm not perfect either. We all have our faults.

On that note you should see my uncle's fully restored '67 Camaro RS. It looks better than the day it rolled off the show room floor. The only problem with it is he sold a perfectly good '65 Mustang Convertible with automatic tranny and pony interior to finance it. Of course he made about 13X what he paid for it so I guess from an investment perspective it was wise.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    Not there yet. I just like it. There's not an American muscle car that is actually fast enough to scare the hell out of me. They're just usually geared too high. Now that GT3RS, that's a car! If I could have any car in the world it would definitely start with Porsche. Maybe a GT3, a 911 Turbo. Who knows? But it would have to come from Stuttgart, that much is for sure.
    Oh it wasn't a muscle car, well it wasn't a stock one. It was a drag racer my buddy built that had 1000 some HP. I remember when he rev'ed it up... I could feel it in my chest.

I remember driving that thing on the streets and thinking "Wow... MORE!"

I like The GT3RS because its just a race car. Roll bar, you can turn off ALL the safety features. Ohh man! I could have fun in that baby!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DevilPup John View Post
    Oh it wasn't a muscle car, well it wasn't a stock one. It was a drag racer my buddy built that had 1000 some HP. I remember when he rev'ed it up... I could feel it in my chest.

I remember driving that thing on the streets and thinking "Wow... MORE!"

I like The GT3RS because its just a race car. Roll bar, you can turn off ALL the safety features. Ohh man! I could have fun in that baby!!
    Well if you are fortunate enough some day to get one make sure you take European delivery of it. That car will shine on the Autobahn and you can take it to Nürburgring and give it a real test drive. Maybe you can even beat the current record of 6:48.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Hell, I'd probably wrap it around a tree, but it'd be fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast