Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Isn't It Obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by chadn737 View Post
    You work in business. You are probably somebodies underling or have an underling under you. Does the fact that your boss gave you dominion over other employees mean that entire business was made for you?
    What a horrible analogy? Please don't use any more like this while we're... EVER. If you think that the relationship between employer/employee is similar to what Christians think the relationship is between man & god, then I'm not the one who doesn't grasp Christianity.

And making your life about you want it to be (HALO? seriously) is not arrogance? In so saying, you are asserting that each man is his own King, who can assert his own existence, his own interpretation of life.
    Do you remember the thread I posted called "The Art of Morality" where I succinctly argued that implying there is a god that scores moral actions is no different from implying there is some cosmic art guru who prices all works of art? It's very similar to what's happening here. Implying that people should determine their own meaning to life is arrogant is, itself, arrogant. I am saying that my life is mine to decide. That is a humble statement because it applies to me. You, on the other hand, are saying "no, you are wrong in your assertion about yourself". And worse, it's name calling. Let's gloss right over that it's pretty close to breaking ODN rules and conclude that calling someone arrogant for wanting to find their own meaning to life is a pretty jerk thing to say.

I mean, look at the definition of arrogant: "an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions". Implying that I am not the one to determine my own life's meaning and that I have to succumb to your (fictional) god's meaning? That is the definition of arrogance.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chadn737 View Post
    Thats not what I believe and I would appreciate it if you did not put words in my mouth.

Did you even read what I said?

I said, the Universe was not created for me, it was created for God. I just happen to be a part of God's creation, a small part of it.

We believe that we were created as part of a greater creation, made for God's glory. That is not arrogant, that is humble. In such a view, God is the center, not man.

In contrast Sagan says the we are the keepers of the meaning of life. Speak of arrogance. The Christian says that God alone holds the meaning.

Sagan and your argument of arrogance is hypocrisy.
    -And yet an amazingly significant one, if the Christian story of Jesus is anything to go by, eh? As you intimate, the essence/nature of God can only be fully comprehended by God 'Himself'.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Post Thanks / Like

' Let us find ourselves a worthy goal' Well we may not find it by looking into deep space or down the electron microscope. Lets listen to Beethoven then eh perhaps that will do the trick. Or shall we reject the idea of a worthy goal and hence forth look after number ONE ME.
    Don't kid yourself there is only one worthy goal : caring about those who have no comforter. At the moment most of us are not very good at it since it runs contrary to the law of natural selection or survival of the fittest.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t really get this thread. Whats the point of it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3