Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Confirmed: Time Travel is Impossible

Physicists in Hong Kong Prove Time Travel is Impossible
    Physicists from Hong Kong have crushed the hopes of all science fiction geeks who had hoped to travel back in time.

A group of researchers from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology--has declared there will be no machine that can travel through time, because they have proved that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

http://tv.ibtimes.com/physicists-in-...ible/1407.html

Putting to rest the following debates:
    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...Is-it-Possible
    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...82-time-travel!
    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...36-Time-travel
    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...73-Time-travel
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Confirmed: Time Travel is Impossible

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    Physicists in Hong Kong Prove Time Travel is Impossible
    Physicists from Hong Kong have crushed the hopes of all science fiction geeks who had hoped to travel back in time.

A group of researchers from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology--has declared there will be no machine that can travel through time, because they have proved that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

http://tv.ibtimes.com/physicists-in-...ible/1407.html

Putting to rest the following debates:
    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...Is-it-Possible
    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...82-time-travel!
    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...36-Time-travel
    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...73-Time-travel
    There's nothing tremendously shocking about the fact that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. It's been a corner stone of modern physics for a little over 100 years now... I'm curious to see why they expect anyone to find these claims interesting, or at least new.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

Post Thanks / Like

It would be possible if wormholes were possible.

You take one wormhole, put it on a spaceship, and fly this spaceship at (close to) the speed of light. It comes back 500 years later. If you walk through one end of the wormhole into the other that was in the spaceship you would be in a different time.
    Udabindu yathāpi pokkhare
    Padume vāri yathā na lippati,
    Evaṃ muni no palippati
    Yadidaṃ diṭṭhasutaṃ mutesu vā.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Time travel isn't possible even if you can go faster than light (which is impossible according to most/all accepted models). What some folks would call time travel, is really just the relative object moving in a kind of reverse directional. The world around it marches on oblivious. The thing traveling faster than light moves back in "time" but the universe around it continues to move forward. The upshot would be the "time traveler" would get "younger" in a world that continued to grow older.

But again, its always looked impossible, so not too much surprise someone could find an experiment that bears that out.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

And what about quantum teleportation?
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    Time travel isn't possible even if you can go faster than light (which is impossible according to most/all accepted models). What some folks would call time travel, is really just the relative object moving in a kind of reverse directional. The world around it marches on oblivious. The thing traveling faster than light moves back in "time" but the universe around it continues to move forward. The upshot would be the "time traveler" would get "younger" in a world that continued to grow older.
    I thought that it was only ever "possible" to travel into the future; by breaching the speed of light, one would arrive someone faster than a photon that started at the same point, so that when the traveler arrived before the photon at some distant point he was actually in the future....er, no, wait... That would be the "past," since the light in the traveler's "present" wouldn't be there yet. I dunno, something like that.

Orson Scott Card's version of time travel is still possible, even theoretically, but only travels to the future. The nearer a traveler gets to the speed of light, the greater the effects of time dilation on that traveler; essentially, you just don't age as you move at near-relativistic speeds, so that whenever you arrive, you are technically in the "future" relative to yourself.
    The Signature Religion is the one true religion. I know this is true, because it says so right here in this signature.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
    I thought that it was only ever "possible" to travel into the future; by breaching the speed of light, one would arrive someone faster than a photon that started at the same point, so that when the traveler arrived before the photon at some distant point he was actually in the future....er, no, wait... That would be the "past," since the light in the traveler's "present" wouldn't be there yet. I dunno, something like that.
    That's one of them, but that is no more time traveling than the fact the light we see from distant worlds is "old" and we are witnessing events of the "past".

Orson Scott Card's version of time travel is still possible, even theoretically, but only travels to the future. The nearer a traveler gets to the speed of light, the greater the effects of time dilation on that traveler; essentially, you just don't age as you move at near-relativistic speeds, so that whenever you arrive, you are technically in the "future" relative to yourself.
    Subjective time travel. You sort of do the same thing when you sleep. Though for the mind and not the body. When you speed up relative to something else time slows... meaning the actual atomic movement of the accelerated party decreases in speed relative to the other party. The faster you go, the more you slow up to the speed of light when all matter becomes energy and you don't move/age at all. Follow that logic past the speed of light and time... aka your movement goes backwards. But its time for you, not time for the universe which is what time travel implies. And the real problem is that as you accelerate mass increases and it becomes technically infinite at the speed of light making acceleration impossible.

Now mind you that is all my understanding based on some rather antiquated reading, not on actually understanding the math of relativity.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

That's one of them, but that is no more time traveling than the fact the light we see from distant worlds is "old" and we are witnessing events of the "past".

Subjective time travel. You sort of do the same thing when you sleep. Though for the mind and not the body. When you speed up relative to something else time slows... meaning the actual atomic movement of the accelerated party decreases in speed relative to the other party. The faster you go, the more you slow up to the speed of light when all matter becomes energy and you don't move/age at all. Follow that logic past the speed of light and time... aka your movement goes backwards. But its time for you, not time for the universe which is what time travel implies. And the real problem is that as you accelerate mass increases and it becomes technically infinite at the speed of light making acceleration impossible.

Now mind you that is all my understanding based on some rather antiquated reading, not on actually understanding the math of relativity.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some other things scientists once claimed were impossible.

In his 1842 book The Positive Philosophy, the French philosopher Auguste Comte wrote of the stars: "We can never learn their internal constitution, nor, in regard to some of them, how heat is absorbed by their atmosphere." In a similar vein, he said of the planets: "We can never know anything of their chemical or mineralogical structure; and, much less, that of organized beings living on their surface."
    The French Academy of Sciences famously stated that "rocks don't fall from the sky". Reports of fireballs and stones crashing to the ground were dismissed as hearsay and folklore, and the stones were sometimes explained away as "thunderstones" - the result of lightning strikes.
    The number of scientists and engineers who confidently stated that heavier-than-air flight was impossible in the run-up to the Wright brothers' flight is too large to count. Lord Kelvin is probably the best-known. In 1895 he stated that "heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible", only to be proved definitively wrong just eight years later.
    On 29 December 1934, Albert Einstein was quoted in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette as saying, "There is not the slightest indication that [nuclear energy] will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will." This followed the discovery that year by Enrico Fermi that if you bombard uranium with neutrons, the uranium atoms split up into lighter elements, releasing energy
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...html?full=true

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Those quotes are quite different theo, in that they were basing their conclusions not on experiments to test against the conclusions, but on speculation based on what they had done thus far. This team in Korea specifically tested against the speed of light...which is what time travel would need (apparently).
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    And simply a matter of time until science crushes the Bible...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Booger View Post
    That would be a much more foreboding prediction if it came from an actual scientist.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Booger View Post
    Simply a matter of time, 100 years ago*. It's a shame we can't travel back that far.

*Darwin
    Udabindu yathāpi pokkhare
    Padume vāri yathā na lippati,
    Evaṃ muni no palippati
    Yadidaṃ diṭṭhasutaṃ mutesu vā.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soren View Post
    Simply a matter of time, 100 years ago*. It's a shame we can't travel back that far.

*Darwin
    I note with amusement that chad, who knows more about science in general (and Darwin in particular) than you and Booger put together, is a devout Christian.