Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Free Online Learning

Here's are some pretty good (and free) e-learning sites:

http://www.khanacademy.org/ - excellent resource for high school to college level courses; over 2400 videos (math, science, humanities, test prep); founded by Harvard grad with 3 degrees; interactive

http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses - list of variety of free courses taught by institutions all over the world; many college level; almost any subject you can think of

http://oyc.yale.edu/ - Open Yale University; variety of classes taught by Yale professors available for the public; video of actual lectures
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

2. Thanks Soren thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Free Online Learning

This site is going to push me into the relapse stage again. Khan Academy is awesome, but this one is just nuts.
    There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.
    Nahj ul-Balāgha by Ali bin Abu-Talib

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a bit of the Khan Academy on Stossel. Apparently teachers who use it in their classrooms think it's pretty awesome as it gives advanced kids some challenging work allowing them to give real one on one attention to kids who need the help. Win/win!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    I saw a bit of the Khan Academy on Stossel. Apparently teachers who use it in their classrooms think it's pretty awesome as it gives advanced kids some challenging work allowing them to give real one on one attention to kids who need the help. Win/win!
    Speaking as a teacher, I think Khan's approach is brilliant! Like virtually all other teachers, I am never able to teach at a level which suits everyone. I can teach at an advanced level and leave my lower level students confused; I can teach at a low level and bore my advanced students; or I can try to teach at a middle level and bore my advanced students while leaving my lower level students confused. Khan's method allows teachers to teach all students at their own personal level. I hope schools start using his methods.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

This is pretty cool. I did not know that you could get free classes like this.
    I will no longer be replying to any post from a Liberal going forward. I will continue, as normal, to discuss topics and engage in intellectual exchanges with non-leftist

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another fantastic site and it may be on the cutting edge of the future of formal education.

http://www.udacity.com/#

Here's an article about its founder and about this new type of free learning: http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgean...her-education/

Their intent and goal: Receive legitimate, accredited degrees (Bachelor's and Master's) for as little as $100.

Currently, they have 11 courses, all taught by college professors (from schools such as Stanford, Rutgers and more). They are all free. They differ from normal online video courses that are free in that apparently you will be working and be challenged throughout the class (vs just watching the video and moving on to the next "course"). To be clear...YES...you DO have homework. In addition, just like a real university, there are prerequisite classes for the intermediate and advanced classes (however, if someone has prior knowledge of the subject that is on par with the level of the class being taught, you can skip the prerequisite course(s)). This particular comp sci class meets that prerequisite requirement for their other comp sci courses.

I've enrolled in their Comp Science class to test 'em out. It's 7 weeks long. It has a discussion board for its students as well as weekly homework assignments.

Later this year they will have Humanities classes.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by czahar View Post
    Speaking as a teacher, I think Khan's approach is brilliant! Like virtually all other teachers, I am never able to teach at a level which suits everyone. I can teach at an advanced level and leave my lower level students confused; I can teach at a low level and bore my advanced students; or I can try to teach at a middle level and bore my advanced students while leaving my lower level students confused. Khan's method allows teachers to teach all students at their own personal level. I hope schools start using his methods.
    Although, I'm not quite as enthusiastic about Khan's use in primary or secondary education anymore. In fact, I'm getting a little annoyed with the way this guy is always credited with "revolutionizing the way we think about education". While his lecture can be informative, they are also boring and the activities can be rather tedious. I'm in my early thirties, and I have trouble pushing myself to continue with Khan Academy. I can only imagine what grade-school student is going through. Khan Academy is far more appropriate for college students who need to brush up on their math. If Khan wanted to make these lessons more kid-friendly, he should have made them more fun - e.g., by having the kids practice their problems with games instead of problem after tedious, boring problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little disturbed by the Khanacademy because they suggest anyone can learn anything. They make a passing reference to innate ability adding the brain is like a mustle and grows stronger with activity.
    This is a modern fallacy due to our obsession with education. The IQ measures our biological intelligence due to nature not nurture. For a large population it produces a bell curve the mid point being IQ 100. This value is fairly constant throughout adult life. Mine is about 105 putting me slightly above average. Ths idea that I could have taken up a career in neuclear physics is ludicrious. Perhaps I could become another Mozart with
    intense musical training.

Banned Indefinitely
    Post Thanks / Like

nice thanks you

Post Thanks / Like

First of all I'd like to thank you for sharing these links for online learning! And I must add that such resources are really helpful for students and seniors. I like the second one most of all because there I can find any course of any University all over the word.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you really for this! It is awesome!