Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62
  1. #21
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    ....God seems to have an interesting way of dealing with some people who have no limbs or have lost limbs. Here's one case of a man with nor arms and no legs; yet he swims, plays gulf, fishes, surfs, and has a very fulfilling life.
    Sorry, but the Bible itself established 'healing' as proof of God's power. Jesus specifically makes the lame walk or the blind see etc. That is healing, specifically repairing of a damaged part of the body.
    While a legless armless man is an inspiring example of human spirit, it is not an example of healing as was shown in the Bible.

    We only ask for God to show an example of healing like regrowing a lost limb because it is difficult if not impossible to fake, unlike saying "Oh my back feels better thanks to God".

    Its a simple example on par with other miracles Jesus freely performed in the Bible.
    The Sparrow, Member of the God-Awful Atheist Syndicate

  2. #22
    Banned Indefinitely

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    976
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    Those are attributes (properties) of God's nature just like liquid and fluid are properties of water. All powerful, all knowing are also pretty universal attributes of the Creator, not just the Christian God.



    Well let's see, do you want see cases where an uncurable deadly cancer tumor\ disappears? Or how about a completely paralyzed man from head to toe being healed and leading a normal life?

    There seems to be no lack of medical miracles (anomalies) in our current society from around the world.


    God seems to have an interesting way of dealing with some people who have no limbs or have lost limbs. Here's one case of a man with nor arms and no legs; yet he swims, plays gulf, fishes, surfs, and has a very fulfilling life.
    Cancer goes away sometimes. Some people say it was God, some say a great medical system, some herbs. We just don't know. I grew up going to church and going to tent revivals, and I have seen it all. Of all the the hundreds of claimed healings there is not one that I believe was real. Never one amputee or burn victim, or how about downs or mental retardation being cured.

  3. #23
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West / East Coast
    Posts
    3,519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSparrow View Post
    Sorry, but the Bible itself established 'healing' as proof of God's power. Jesus specifically makes the lame walk or the blind see etc. That is healing, specifically repairing of a damaged part of the body.
    I can agree with that. So, wouldn't you say that a devote Christian man experienced God's power who is involved in a terrible plane crash, has almost every bone in his body broken; is parlayed from head to toe and is told by doctors that he will never walk or lead a normal life again -- but after a while in the hospital, he does indeed walk out of the hospital and leads a normal life? How is this not evidence of God's power?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfKn92klPeU
    http://www.themiracleman.org/index.htm

    And there are many other dramatic, life-changing Bible-like modern-day healing miracles that have taken place all over the world for decades.

    The Finger of God
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7atLDcVUg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2LDi...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJCP9...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd2x_...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msz0l...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d9fn...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtO8F...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBJt7...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oSMS...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-msYZ...eature=related


    Blind Man Get's Healed

    Modern day miracles

    We only ask for God to show an example of healing like regrowing a lost limb because it is difficult if not impossible to fake, unlike saying
    If this is a litmus test for God by some atheists, which it seems to be, if limbs started growing back for some people and not for others, would this be considered evidence of God's power?
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

  4. #24
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    I would say, the doctors were wrong when they said he would never walk or lead a normal life again.

    How is this not evidence of God's power?
    Explain to me exactly how this IS evidence of God's power please. You are making the claim so I'm afraid the burden of proof falls on you.

    I didn't pursue the multitude of youtube clips you put up, but I'm guessing none of them show a limb being re-grown. Please correct me if I am wrong.

    I have an aquaintance where I volunteer who contracted polio when she was quite young and has been paralyzed since. She is a very devout christian and prays to God all the time.
    She has asked to be healed and wasn't. How do you line that up with your supposed miracle story of plane crash healing? If your answer is God decides who should and shouldn't be healed for some greater purpose, then please provide evidence of this.
    The Sparrow, Member of the God-Awful Atheist Syndicate

  5. #25
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West / East Coast
    Posts
    3,519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    I've answered that question on ODN more than once. All I would need is either a miracle of sufficient obviousness.
    Can you provide an example of what you consider to be sufficient obviousness. [/quote]

    or a direct message from a divine entity. I'd make some investigation to make sure it wasn't a hoax but generally if I can witness a verifiable miracle and attribute it to the Christian God then I'm sold.
    What would you be sold on?

    Of a personal message from the divine, that works too.
    You mean in the form of a physical note, or a personal conscious revelation that you became aware of?

    I don't have to define anything, only to discover and experience it.
    Well, in the world of unbelievers, and I realize there are different levels and opinions -- but having lived with a few atheists, what I've observed is that sometimes life will dish out an experience way outside the norm, a wake up call, so to speak and they witness the Spirit in their life in a very personal way, even undergo an epiphany of sorts. But because they had such unrealistic mental expectations of God (Spirit), the life-changing experience completely passed them by after a while.

    Now that's not to say that this is true of all atheists. I've also observed atheists, when I use to work in the counseling field, who exerpienced very personal life-changing divine circumstances and allowed that personal revelation by the God and experience to move them on life's road to a new plateau.

    No, its just me saying that if God wants to make himself apparent, he can go ahead and do that.
    OK. Expect the unexpected.

    I'm ready willing and able.
    Great answer.

    ---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSparrow View Post
    Explain to me exactly how this IS evidence of God's power please.
    If you consider this comment of yours, the evidence of God's power:

    "the Bible itself established 'healing' as proof of God's power. Jesus specifically makes the lame walk or the blind see etc. That is healing, specifically repairing of a damaged part of the body.

    Then, similar types of healings such as the crippled walking, the blind seeing, etc, are events that are going on all over the world. The links I provided are just some examples.

    I have an aquaintance where I volunteer who contracted polio when she was quite young and has been paralyzed since. She is a very devout christian and prays to God all the time.
    She has asked to be healed and wasn't. How do you line that up with your supposed miracle story of plane crash healing? If your answer is God decides who should and shouldn't be healed for some greater purpose, then please provide evidence of this.
    Back to your reference of Jesus' miracles in the Bible, please note that Jesus did not physically heal all who were sick. In the Bible we simply read about a few people that he healed. There were many people who prayed for and needed healing during that era.

    As far as "why God doesn't heal everyone who prays for healing" -- it's not because God's Spirit can't heal them.

    It's always about us -- it's about where we are mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually -- and our ability to receive and experience what the universe has to offer us freely. Grace is a free gift.

    Because we live in a world that is constantly changing, we're also changing. And where we are today, mentally, emotionally, physically and spirtually, may not be were we are tomorrow or next year.
    Last edited by eye4magic; November 26th, 2011 at 09:36 AM.
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

  6. #26
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic
    As far as "why God doesn't heal everyone who prays for healing" -- it's not because God's Spirit can't heal them.

    It's always about us -- it's about where we are mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually -- and our ability to receive and experience what the universe has to offer us freely. Grace is a free gift.

    Because we live in a world that is constantly changing, we're also changing. And where we are today, mentally, emotionally, physically and spirtually, may not be were we are tomorrow or next year.
    So why are there no known cases in which blindness caused by retinitis pigmentosa have been reversed?

    Why are there no known cases in which people with completely severed spines have walked again?

    I can think of a few explanations for this phenomenon. Among them:

    A ) No or, at most, extremely few people who suffer these kinds of injuries or diseases have the ability to receive and experience what God has to offer them freely in terms of having their prayers for healing answered.

    B ) A god exists who cannot heal these kinds of injuries or cure these kinds of diseases.

    C ) No god exists.

    If you choose "A," as you seem to do, then do you have a theory that might explain why God seems to have refused to respond positively to any of their prayers for healing?

  7. #27
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    If you consider this comment of yours, the evidence of God's power:

    "the Bible itself established 'healing' as proof of God's power. Jesus specifically makes the lame walk or the blind see etc. That is healing, specifically repairing of a damaged part of the body.

    Then, similar types of healings such as the crippled walking, the blind seeing, etc, are events that are going on all over the world. The links I provided are just some examples.
    I'll assume then from your answer that none of your examples involved growing limbs.
    Jesus also rose lazarus from the dead. That would be sufficient for me. Someone cold dead and rotting for days in a tomb, revived and repaired to be alive again.
    Hey, I'm only asking for the same degree of that god has chosen to demonstrate in the past.


    Back to your reference of Jesus' miracles in the Bible, please note that Jesus did not physically heal all who were sick. In the Bible we simply read about a few people that he healed. There were many people who prayed for and needed healing during that era.

    As far as "why God doesn't heal everyone who prays for healing" -- it's not because God's Spirit can't heal them.

    It's always about us -- it's about where we are mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually -- and our ability to receive and experience what the universe has to offer us freely. Grace is a free gift.

    Because we live in a world that is constantly changing, we're also changing. And where we are today, mentally, emotionally, physically and spirtually, may not be were we are tomorrow or next year.
    Wonderfully vague. This explanation is constructed in just such a way to explain anything that appears random. Nice, but its not enough for me.

    Show me an example of someone regrowing an arm or leg that was lost, and I'm there . Someone throwing away their crutches, well I'm sorry, I want to believe, but its just not enough to convince me.
    The Sparrow, Member of the God-Awful Atheist Syndicate

  8. #28
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Posts
    7,405
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    The problem with healing miracles is they are not unique.

    A. People can and do heal from massive injuries naturally so far as we can determine.

    B. Some people survive massive injuries, more don't. But there is no clear patter regarding religious belief among survivors. Those who believe in a God, often credit that god or gods. Those who don't, credit those caring for them or simply the bodies own healing mechanisms. Without any clear pattern, the evidence is not conclusive. If only Christians survived such events, and if all others died from them, then you would have clear evidence that recovery was supernatural.

    C. Doctors do not fully understand the human body and our ability to see into it is still limited. Their predictions are educated guesses, not certainties. The number of folks that have walked after someone saying "they may/will never walk again" is quite large. Its just a common dramatic trope. Not to say doctors are always wrong, but like the weather man they are certainly not always right.

    D. Faith healing is done in a great many religions with videos and testimonies just like the ones you showed. Many of them have been directly shown to be shams and fakes, including many Christian faith healers. Its simply an easy and common thing to fake for the purpose of making money from the desperate. Even if they were all true, then the evidence would still be inconclusive since many different belief systems claim the same thing.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

  9. #29
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that there is an amazing comparison between my analogy and the, if you may, "typical atheist". It goes a little sumtin' like this.

    Ingredients;

    1 newchild
    1 windowless shelter without any outside force
    1 giving the child anything it wants and therefore not wanting to leave
    1 normal person

    Preperation

    Give the newchild any thing it wants, absolutely anything. You do this in order that the child wants to stay inside the shelter for as long as possible. Now you have the normal raised person to come inside and try to explain wind/air to the child.

    Product

    The child should not believe the person. If he does, let him go outside. BUT the child would more than likely want to stay inside where he can get what ever he wants then to go outside and experience wind.

    Now out of that quick analogy change the child to an atheist and the wind to God.
    What I don't understand is how atheists are "refusing to go outside", per your analogy.

    Please explain what "going outside to experience the wind" is in our reality and how atheists can, but choose not to, do it.

  10. #30
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West / East Coast
    Posts
    3,519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSparrow View Post
    Jesus also rose lazarus from the dead.
    People come back from being dead all the time now, often completely transformed, including atheists. Today, we call it near death experiences, there are millions of cases like this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5u3D5wTKTI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhZ2t...eature=related

    Hey, I'm only asking for the same degree of that god has chosen to demonstrate in the past.
    Well, if we use that as a standard for the sake of debate, since you brought Jesus into the debate, making the crippled walk, the blind see, healing the mentally ill, why disregard these current day miracles? BTW, Jesus didn't make any new limbs grow. He apparently did more significant work while he was on earth.

    If your litmus test for God is a new limb growing, how would this be evidence of God if someone gets a new limb and doesn't pray for it?

    Wonderfully vague.
    It may be vague to you because the answer requires that we look inside ourselves, deeply, honestly and sincerely. For some people this is sometimes uncomfortably vague because we're not trained to do this.

    This explanation is constructed in just such a way to explain anything that appears random.
    How God's grace works in man's life is not random. But it seems that it is with divine purpose and good intent. Above all, I would say from my experience, that it almost always is dependent upon our ability to receive this gift.

    It is not dependent upon the color of our shoes, or our eyes; the color our skin; it is not dependent upon whether we deserve it or not. It is not dependent on whether we have mental thoughts that we are good or bad. It seems to be much more basic and fundamental-- can we receive it as sufficient?

    Show me an example of someone regrowing an arm or leg that was lost, and I'm there
    Where? Where will you be Sparrow? Will the new limb be your god? Will the person with the new limb be your god?

    Someone throwing away their crutches, well I'm sorry, I want to believe,
    What do you want to believe?
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

  11. #31
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    767
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    The difference is that some atheists have "tried to go outside" and many have "been outside then realized the wind didn't exist."

  12. #32
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    People come back from being dead all the time now, often completely transformed, including atheists. Today, we call it near death experiences, there are millions of cases like this.
    ....
    I said days later, corpse rotting etc. Not a few minutes.

    Well, if we use that as a standard for the sake of debate, since you brought Jesus into the debate, making the crippled walk, the blind see, healing the mentally ill, why disregard these current day miracles? BTW, Jesus didn't make any new limbs grow. He apparently did more significant work while he was on earth.

    If your litmus test for God is a new limb growing, how would this be evidence of God if someone gets a new limb and doesn't pray for it?
    I'm not sure what your question means.
    I'm visualizing 1 one armed man praying for his arm to grow back. And then having it grow back. That would certainly raise more positive doubt about my athiesm than someone claiming they were crippled, then walking.



    Where? Where will you be Sparrow? Will the new limb be your god? Will the person with the new limb be your god?


    What do you want to believe?
    I'm sure your expecting me to be in awe at this point at your deep spiritual questions, but I'm afraid I am not.

    The fact is, I've looked, and I can't find the proof.
    The Sparrow, Member of the God-Awful Atheist Syndicate

  13. #33
    Banned Indefinitely

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    976
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not just amputees but burn victims. How about downs or mental retardation? Are you saying none of these people have ever had the requisite faith to be healed? If find it much more likely healings are a combination of fraud and our own ability to heal.

  14. #34
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West / East Coast
    Posts
    3,519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSparrow View Post
    I said days later, corpse rotting etc. Not a few minutes.
    I see. How about an atheist scientist who was dead for three days in a morgue and in the process of being cut open for autopsy?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAI3rRMs8Fc

    I'm visualizing 1 one armed man praying for his arm to grow back. And then having it grow back.
    Well, the first problem with this argument is that it's a logical fallacy. i. e. a non sequitur. As you probably know this happens when a "conclusion or statement does not logically follow from a previous argument or statement." In other words, if amputees do not grow back limbs when someone prays for them, does it follow that God does not exist? No, of course not. God's existence is independent of what actions He would or would not take.

    Second, why would a man blind from birth who prays and is given his sight not be as significant of divine intervention as a man who prays for a limb?

    Third, as far as evidence of God goes and the litmus test of amputees, why not request big time miracles, like a million dollars in your bank account. According to your logic, what I think you're saying is if God doesn't perform your request, he doesn't exist or you won't consider evidence of his existence without a new limb growing back. But isn't that irrational, because God’s failure to perform a miracle at our request says nothing about his existence.

    I'm sure your expecting me to be in awe at this point at your deep spiritual questions, but I'm afraid I am not.
    Not spiritual questions at all, but perhaps practical ones.
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

  15. #35
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic
    People come back from being dead all the time now, often completely transformed, including atheists. Today, we call it near death experiences, there are millions of cases like this.
    You might believe being "dead" is the equivalent of being "nearly dead" but I can assure you that there is a world of difference in the two states. Think the difference in being "pregnant" and being "nearly pregnant." Not the same thing at all.

    BTW, Jesus didn't make any new limbs grow. He apparently did more significant work while he was on earth.
    Like feeding someone who hadn't eaten in a few hours??? Like walking on water???

    Surely there is some other, more sensible reason besides "Jesus had more important things to do" than better explains Jesus' abject failure (as far as anyone knows) in healing amputees?

    Perhaps a reason like: "Jesus could not heal amputees"?

    It may be vague to you because the answer requires that we look inside ourselves, deeply, honestly and sincerely. For some people this is sometimes uncomfortably vague because we're not trained to do this.
    Are you able to "look inside [yourself], deeply, honestly and sincerely"?

    If the answer is "yes," then does this mean that if you ever lose a limb you will expect a prayer to God to restore your missing limb? If that limb isn't restored, how would you rationalize it's not being restored?

  16. #36
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    I see. How about an atheist scientist who was dead for three days in a morgue and in the process of being cut open for autopsy?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAI3rRMs8Fc
    Not dead, nearly dead. Big difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    Well, the first problem with this argument is that it's a logical fallacy. i. e. a non sequitur. As you probably know this happens when a "conclusion or statement does not logically follow from a previous argument or statement." In other words, if amputees do not grow back limbs when someone prays for them, does it follow that God does not exist? No, of course not. God's existence is independent of what actions He would or would not take.
    So......people being healed is not proof of God's existence. Got it.

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    Second, why would a man blind from birth who prays and is given his sight not be as significant of divine intervention as a man who prays for a limb?
    1. Its difficult to prove someone was actually blind in the first place.
    2. Sight is extremely complicated, and the brain has healed itself in ways we do not yet comprehend. Too many unknowns and variables for me.
    3. No one has ever to my knowledge regrown a limb. Tips of fingers through medical intervention I've heard of, but not growing an arm.

    Extraodinary claims require extraordinary proof. For me, someone regrowing an arm would be pretty weighty. It might not be enough to convince me a deity was involved, but it would be more in the flavor of a miracle for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    Third, as far as evidence of God goes and the litmus test of amputees, why not request big time miracles, like a million dollars in your bank account. According to your logic, what I think you're saying is if God doesn't perform your request, he doesn't exist or you won't consider evidence of his existence without a new limb growing back. But isn't that irrational, because God’s failure to perform a miracle at our request says nothing about his existence.
    and therefore a blind person becoming sighted after praying ALSO says nothing about his existence.
    Or are you attributing all cases of the body healing itself to God's intervention? In other words, the scrape on my knee from a few weeks ago, that is healing nicely, without me asking God to do it. Is that God's intervention or not?
    The Sparrow, Member of the God-Awful Atheist Syndicate

  17. #37
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West / East Coast
    Posts
    3,519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSparrow View Post
    Not dead, nearly dead. Big difference
    Dr. Rodonaia's was "pronounced dead immediately after he was hit by a car in 1976, he was left for three days in the morgue.

    So......people being healed is not proof of God's existence. Got it.
    God is God weather or not his grace heals people. (see comment about logic below )

    No one has ever to my knowledge regrown a limb.
    Can you support that this has never happened in thousands years of human history?

    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
    Saving a lifetime (life threatening) from passing is extraordinary.

    For me, someone regrowing an arm would be pretty weighty. It might not be enough to convince me a deity was involved, but it would be more in the flavor of a miracle for me.
    Asking for evidence is a legitimate request, but evidence doesn’t guarantee belief. A sincere and honest question for non-believers would be: "Is any evidence sufficient for me to believe in God?"

    and therefore a blind person becoming sighted after praying ALSO says nothing about his existence.
    If one believes in God and the power of prayer, at least the logic and rational follows:

    For believers the logic flows like this:

    A. God exists.
    B. I experience God in my life through his grace.
    C. I believe in the power of prayer.
    D. I am blind. It is permanet condition and there is no treatment for my blindness.
    E. I will pray for my healing.
    F. If I am healed, I will be grateful for God's manifestation of grace in my life.
    G. If I am not healed based upon my request, his grace blesses me in other ways.
    H. I know that whether or not God heals my blindness has nothing to do with God's existence.

    ---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
    Surely there is some other, more sensible reason besides "Jesus had more important things to do"
    His mission was focused on being the example and showing man the way by example on how to lead a righteous life, since people had forgotten what that meant.

    Are you able to "look inside [yourself], deeply, honestly and sincerely"?If the answer is "yes," then does this mean that if you ever lose a limb you will expect a prayer to God to restore your missing limb? If that limb isn't restored, how would you rationalize it's not being restored?
    I wouldn't so much rationalize God's grace, but I would do an honest reality check of my life and reassess what I do have verses what I would like to newly create given my current circumstances. Cirsumtances do not determine our happiness and well being. It's always about our response to the circumstance.

    After I made that list I would be grateful for the current givens (awareness, life, family community, ability to work, ability to love, ability to thrive -- if I choose) and focus on achieving my new goals and objectives. No limb, no worries.
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

  18. #38
    Banned Indefinitely

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    976
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    Can you support that this has never happened in thousands years of human history?

    You miss understand burden of proof.

    No one has ever regrown a lost limb. No one has ever been healed of downs or mental retardation, just as no one as ever flown across the grand canyon by flapping their arms.

  19. #39
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West / East Coast
    Posts
    3,519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    You miss understand burden of proof.

    No one has ever regrown a lost limb.
    If you're making that claim, then support that it has never happened in human history. Just because you say it has never happened in human history, doesn't make it true.
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

  20. #40
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Analogy of Atheism

    Guess he wasn't dead. Doctors make mistakes. They have before, and will continue to.

    God is God weather or not his grace heals people. (see comment about logic below )
    Yet healing is presented in the Bible as evidence that God was real.
    Just looking for similar evidence.

    Can you support that this has never happened in thousands years of human history?
    Of course not. It's virtually impossible to prove a negative. But it certainly has not happened in modern history.

    Saving a lifetime (life threatening) from passing is extraordinary.
    But there's no proof it was due to God, or for example Zeus or Buddha.

    Asking for evidence is a legitimate request, but evidence doesn’t guarantee belief. A sincere and honest question for non-believers would be: "Is any evidence sufficient for me to believe in God?"
    Sure, its a great question.
    I'm not sure what exactly would convince me. If I was in church, and a man with 1 arm walked up during communion, and the priest poured the blessed wine on his stump, and a new arm grew, well that would certainly rock the foundations of my atheism.

    If one believes in God and the power of prayer, at least the logic and rational follows:

    For believers the logic flows like this:

    A. God exists.
    B. I experience God in my life through his grace.
    C. I believe in the power of prayer.
    D. I am blind. It is permanet condition and there is no treatment for my blindness.
    E. I will pray for my healing.
    F. If I am healed, I will be grateful for God's manifestation of grace in my life.
    G. If I am not healed based upon my request, his grace blesses me in other ways.
    H. I know that whether or not God heals my blindness has nothing to do with God's existence.[COLOR="Silver"]
    That's nice, but doesn't help us non believers.
    Plus, if you'll notice, your 'experiment' and its rules are constructed in a way makes a false outcome impossible.
    "If I'm healed, God did it and therefore God exists"
    "If I'm not healed, God exists and could have done it, but didn't for some reason known to him"

    Either way it really demonstrates nothing about the existence of God - at least in the way you've described the rules.

    I can just as easily say:
    A. Buddha exists.
    B. I experience Buddha in my life through meditation.
    C. I believe in the power of meditation.
    D. I am blind. It is permanet condition and there is no treatment for my blindness.
    E. I will meditate on my healing.
    F. If I am healed, I will be grateful for Buddha's manifestation of blessing in my life.
    G. If I am not healed based upon my request, Buddha blesses me in other ways.
    H. I know that whether or not Buddha heals my blindness has nothing to do with Buddha's existence.

    Does that help you accept the truth of Buddha's existence and power?
    The Sparrow, Member of the God-Awful Atheist Syndicate

 

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Atheism
    By Aspoestertjie in forum Religion
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: December 9th, 2008, 06:48 PM
  2. An analogy to describe belief.
    By Supaiku in forum Religion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: December 3rd, 2005, 02:42 AM
  3. Atheism....
    By Mr. Hyde in forum Religion
    Replies: 202
    Last Post: March 15th, 2005, 09:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •