Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

At Home Networking gurus?

So I have a work laptop running Windows 7, it exists on my work Domain that is unchangeable (I won't be able to log onto my laptop if I change it).

My personal laptop is running Vista and has an external HD that I would like to use for backup over my at home wireless network.

Is there a way to allow for this given the domain discrepancies? Thanks.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: At Home Networking gurus?

To be clear, you want your Vista home laptop to be a duplicate of your Win7 work laptop?

Or do you want it to backup only certain folders?
    Are you wanting them to sync?
    Are you wanting to manually make the backups?
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to take certain files and folders from my work laptop (win 7) and move them to an external drive based on my home laptop (Vista)
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that you probably want to do this with sharing and trusted domains, etc. I can't find any info to help on that.

But I gotta ask the obvious question: Why not copy the files from your work laptop onto a usb flash drive, and then from the flash to your home laptop? Or email them to yourself? I guess maybe the files are too big for either option?
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

They are pretty big and this is a back up option. If possible I would like to periodically mirror certain directories as well in a bit less manual manner.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

However, I imagine that what you are suggesting is what I will end up having to do.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

tbh, a flash drive is your best bet. It's far simpler as your particular setup will require some real work.

Flash drives carry an enormous amount of data now. I can't imagine any file you having being a burden on a flash drive. You can get a 32GB or 64GB drive at very reasonable prices nowadays ($40-$100).

Even using an external hard drive with auto syncing would work great (and be a bigger bang for your buck).

There are vista to win7 xfer cables you can use too, but some people report complications, so they are not as universal as a flash drive.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the original idea was that I wouldn't have had to plug something into my computer to do it, but I knew it was a long shot. Thanks guys.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    So I have a work laptop running Windows 7, it exists on my work Domain that is unchangeable (I won't be able to log onto my laptop if I change it).

My personal laptop is running Vista and has an external HD that I would like to use for backup over my at home wireless network.

I had a similar situation and last year I called a good friend of mine to come over, who is a networking guru, and he did create the network functionality for me to share and move around my files. So I'm pretty sure it can be done. Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly how he did it except to say that he created a 'shared folder' on my three computers. I have Windows 7 on one; Vista on one (laptop); and XP on the other. If I want to put something on an external HD that is connected to one of my computers, I just have to put it in the shared folder, then go over to the computer that has the HD connected to it and move the files from the shared folder to the HD.

Since he is a good friend, next time I see him, I'll ask him to write down exactly what he did.
    Close your eyes. Fall in love. Stay there.
    Rumi

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator
    ODN Rules

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

That would be awesome, thanks!

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

That would be awesome, thanks!
    I recently met with my friend who is a networking engineer. The way he connected my three computers with each other is explained on the following link.

I recently updated one of my pcs that had Vista to Windows 7. So my current connectivity is between two pcs running Windows 7 and one with XP.

File sharing essentials
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ing-essentials
    Rumi

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator
    ODN Rules

Post Thanks / Like

I build computer networks for a living. If you are still having an issue making this work, send me a PM with your email and I'll send you instructions (with pictures even ) on exactly how to do this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option is to sync via something like Dropbox. That will keep work and home a bit separate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    I recently met with my friend who is a networking engineer. The way he connected my three computers with each other is explained on the following link.

I recently updated one of my pcs that had Vista to Windows 7. So my current connectivity is between two pcs running Windows 7 and one with XP.

File sharing essentials
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ing-essentials
    That's what I do for my home network. However, it is a selective type of networking in that only particular public folders are shared.

I run a WAMP server for php coding on my primary desktop. I can't access it from my laptop, despite Windows 7 networking settings unless Windows Firewall is turned off. It's tricky as much as it is annoying.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    That's what I do for my home network. However, it is a selective type of networking in that only particular public folders are shared.

I run a WAMP server for php coding on my primary desktop. I can't access it from my laptop, despite Windows 7 networking settings unless Windows Firewall is turned off. It's tricky as much as it is annoying.
    Yea, I had the same problem with my firewall, but my network engineer (personal friend) somehow solved that problem. It wasn't easy for him though and he spent some time trying to figure it out. I told him it was OK, I didn't mind turning off my firewall occasionally from one of my PCs to share files, but he was quite determined to solve the problem.

I love and respect that about the engineering mindset. They understand the fundamentals of their field so well, they know there's a way to make something work even though it may seem like it can't work. Anyway, he made it work, so I don't have to turn off my firewall when I share files.

I treated him and his wife to dinner.
    Rumi

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator
    ODN Rules