Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Government hiding tax increases?

Spirit Airlines has a "warning" on their website that expresses their concern for taxes that are being hidden in their fares per a USDOT mandate. I agree with their concern since there is no limit to this backdoor taxation.

The Warning - Click Here.

What do you think?
    In God We Trust
    Support Our Troops!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is the Government hiding tax increases?

I think that Spirit Airlines has a vested interest in getting this thing repealed and the fact that they don't provide any quotes or links to quotes from the bill is more than a little suspicious.

besides, they're not exactly hiding anything if it's common knowledge that the taxes are in place. Is this any different than the taxes that make things like alcohol more expensive in certain places (as evidenced by Duty Free shops in airports)?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AuspiciousFist View Post
    I think that Spirit Airlines has a vested interest in getting this thing repealed
    Key word, of course, being "think" there is no evidence either way. People's opinion on the matter is shaped nearly completely around their political ideology.

and the fact that they don't provide any quotes or links to quotes from the bill is more than a little suspicious.
    They are trying to get action, not debate the topic. Like I said, most people will be shaped by ideology and not fact in the matter...as in most matters now-a-days. I doubt any Republican cares if it is true or not....its a chance to bash Obama. No different from what Libs did to Bush.

besides, they're not exactly hiding anything if it's common knowledge that the taxes are in place.
    Best place to hide things are right in the open.
    I will no longer be replying to any post from a Liberal going forward. I will continue, as normal, to discuss topics and engage in intellectual exchanges with non-leftist

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

An interesting take on it. The legislation official is supposed to make it so that consumers pay the prices advertised for travel instead of following up on one price and paying something significantly higher after both taxes and the numerous additions "fees" the airlines have been charging as of late.

So on one hand you have "hidden" taxes in that the taxes are included in the price of the ticket (though nothing stops the airline from showing what part of your price is taxes) and in the other you have "hidden" taxes and fees in the sense that the airlines don't tell you about them until the last moment before you buy them.

I'm against the legislation, but not for the reason it "hides" anything but because its an over reach into the market. So long as the consumer sees the final price before they buy, its their own responsibility to decide if they think the adds are dirty tricks or not. It is just a case of the state trying to do more than it should.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
    Key word, of course, being "think" there is no evidence either way. People's opinion on the matter is shaped nearly completely around their political ideology.
    Political ideology doesn't factor into a business that wants to be able to promise lower prices. Whether or not it's malicious can be debated by partisans, but it is clear that the repeal of the bill is in the airline's best interest. If the tax is "hidden" then the airline has to include it in the price. If it is not then the airline can say $XXX.XX + tax and it will seem cheaper to the average consumer.

They are trying to get action, not debate the topic. Like I said, most people will be shaped by ideology and not fact in the matter...as in most matters now-a-days. I doubt any Republican cares if it is true or not....its a chance to bash Obama. No different from what Libs did to Bush.
    I agree. They are capitalizing on the anti-Obama sentiment in a self-serving attempt to effect politics.

Best place to hide things are right in the open.
    So you think that the evidence that the gov is trying to "hide" taxes is that the taxes are easily visible?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Political ideology doesn't factor into a business that wants to be able to promise lower prices. Whether or not it's malicious can be debated by partisans, but it is clear that the repeal of the bill is in the airline's best interest. If the tax is "hidden" then the airline has to include it in the price. If it is not then the airline can say $XXX.XX + tax and it will seem cheaper to the average consumer.
    I would not argue that point. I did not mean to suggest that I agree with their conclusion, though I do not necessarily disagree with it either. I have not, honestly, looked into it enough to form a valid conclusion.

I agree. They are capitalizing on the anti-Obama sentiment in a self-serving attempt to effect politics.
    And it is the exact same thing that Obama tried to do (successfully I might add) by capitalizing on the anti-Bush sentiment for self-serving political gains. It is, unfortunately, the way politics in this country play out and both sides are equally guilty of it.

So you think that the evidence that the gov is trying to "hide" taxes is that the taxes are easily visible?
    I wouldnt call it evidence of them trying to necessarily hide the taxes. Sometimes the government can imbed taxes into things, thus effectively raising our taxes, without really telling us about it or without the media really getting a hold of it and running with it. I don't know if the governments intention is to specifically hide the fact that they are raising taxes, no man can speak upon the motives of another. I would , however, say it is suspicious.
    I will no longer be replying to any post from a Liberal going forward. I will continue, as normal, to discuss topics and engage in intellectual exchanges with non-leftist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
    I would not argue that point. I did not mean to suggest that I agree with their conclusion, though I do not necessarily disagree with it either. I have not, honestly, looked into it enough to form a valid conclusion.
    cheers

And it is the exact same thing that Obama tried to do (successfully I might add) by capitalizing on the anti-Bush sentiment for self-serving political gains. It is, unfortunately, the way politics in this country play out and both sides are equally guilty of it.
    For sure. I guess to me your example is different because Obama is a politician trying to capitalize from the political landscape, and this is a business that is trying to redefine a bill that they don't like in a way that plays on the fears of many Americans.

I wouldnt call it evidence of them trying to necessarily hide the taxes. Sometimes the government can imbed taxes into things, thus effectively raising our taxes, without really telling us about it or without the media really getting a hold of it and running with it. I don't know if the governments intention is to specifically hide the fact that they are raising taxes, no man can speak upon the motives of another. I would , however, say it is suspicious.
    fair enough.