Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Your ODN Cabinet

So, lets say you are somehow elected dictator (or become dictator who cares) of your own island nation. By some twist of fate you are only allowed to pick cabinet and staff from members of ODN (past and present).

How would you flush out your administration?

Minister of Economics

Minister of War

Minister of Education

Minister of State/Diplomacy

Minister of Religion

And any others you see fit, of course your the dictator.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Senior Mod

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your ODN Cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    So, lets say you are somehow elected dictator (or become dictator who cares) of your own island nation. By some twist of fate you are only allowed to pick cabinet and staff from members of ODN (past and present).
    Heh... ok. I'll bite.

Minister of Economics - HermanLeadred, hands down. Making money is probably the single most important thing to him in his life, and he does it well. He's got a keen intellect, a predator's instinct, and lacks any sort of scruples about doing whatever it takes to get ahead unless it hurts his future prospects down the road. What's more, he's charismatic, likeable, and makes you feel good about the ideas he's got to help you give him your money. In short, he's the guy you want managing your money as long as the salary you're paying him is sufficient to meet whatever needs he could possibly want and you're giving him enough interesting and fun stuff to do to keep him happy with the way things are.

Minister of War - CC or the highest ranking military person on ODN. I honestly don't know who it'd be. I'd want someone with executive military experience.

Minister of Education - LukeCash. He's patient, eloquent, has a love of learning, and is a pretty darned nice guy. I also get the impression that he's a fairly heavily lettered individual and knows his way around a reference library.

Minister of State/Diplomacy - Apokalupsis. He's had to settle more acrimonious disputes than I can shake a stick at, and I've been pretty impressed with his ability to do so when I thought there was no hope. He also has no compunctions about laying the smack down where and when it needs to be laid down, so I have no worries about him being a wilting lily at the negotiating table.

Minister of Religion - Breearg. Y'all don't know him, but he's a relatively new convert to the Catholic faith. In that time, he's assembled a reference library - and is thoroughly familiar with it - sufficient to meet the needs of a law student whose focus is Canon Law when said law student needed 7-8 fairly specific and esoteric references. He is single-handedly responsible for the conversion of at least 3 of my friends and relatives to the Catholic faith, even though we're already a Christian family. Even before that, he had devoted almost all his effort to understanding and carrying out the faith his experiences of the universe had led him to believe as best he was able to comprehend. You can do way worse for a minister of religion.

Minister of the Interior: LadyPhoenix. She's smart, outspoken, convincing, and knows her stuff when it comes to running a house on the essentials. Also, she's all about some zombie-apocalypse, and I, for one, would feel much safer if I knew that our country was ready to face the coming zombie apocalypse. Last, woe be unto the person who tries to pull some unethical crap over on the population by intentionally deceiving them or otherwise defrauding them of their wealth in any form, for she would descend upon them like the fiery wrath of Talthas... and I would encourage this.

Minister of Agriculture: Scarlett44. Beautiful, intelligent, compassionate, and all about some nature-preserving goodness. Once LP and Scarlett finished dukeing it out on policy regarding national forests, conservation of natural resources, and ethical treatment of animals and the environment, I would sleep easy at night knowing that I had the best of both worlds: a compassionate, considerate environmental policy that never took its eye off the ball when it came to self-sufficiency and efficient and unapologetic use of our resources.

I think that's about it for now.
    -=[Talthas]=-
    ODN Senior Moderator

ODN Rules

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Look Talthas, I don't think you understood the point of this thread. It was to tell me how awesome I am by picking me for everything.

Some good names in there, I think you would have to spend a lot of time refereeing your cabinet though. There would probably be some blood.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Senior Mod

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty much counting on the idea that there will be at least 3 fisticuffs during the settling-in period of the cabinet's tenure. I encourage this, as long as the disputes don't get in the way of every person doing his or her best to meet the duties of the role to which they were assigned. Ultimately, since I'd be head tyrant of the universe, I'd let all interested parties hash it out for a little while in whatever way they felt they needed to, and when I needed to move to the next point, I'd make my decision based on what I'd heard... and we'd move on.

As for being on the Cabinet, you could be my Minister of War. You're military, right? A combat vet and everything... seems like you'd do fine in that capacity. Not to mention that you keep your head pretty cool even when you're laying the philosophical smack down on some knuckleheads even when they deserve a boot up the bum. Always a great quality to have in a general.

And the pipes are a plus in my book... used to smoke one from time to time, but it was never a serious thing for me. But I do have a soft spot for the idea of a pipe-smoking general puffing away in his command tent while he gets debriefed about the latest developments on the war.
    -=[Talthas]=-
    ODN Senior Moderator

ODN Rules

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Talthas View Post
    Once LP and Scarlett finished dukeing it out
    I'm not sure if you guys are ready to see two redheads fighting........
    "As long as I have a voice, I will speak for those who have none".