Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Illinois At It Again

Anyone who has spent any time living in Illinois, especially near the city of Chicago, and enjoys shooting, or owns firearms for protection knows one thing:

Chicago HATES guns. They've made several attempts to... essentially... but not directly... make firearms ownership illegal anywhere near their borders:

Cook County Assault Weapons Ban (now called Blair Holt Assault Ban)

Handgun ownership within the city limits was effectively made illegal... and has been for at least a decade (until recently).

Registration is expensive and VERY time consuming, and requires class time and is unnecessarily burdensome.

The most recent attack is this:

On Thursday, February 9th, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel called for the Illinois General Assembly to pass a $65 per handgun fee to be levied against every law-abiding gun owner in Illinois – INCLUDING YOU. Of course, gang bangers, murderers, robbers and rapists are exempt from the fee. This fee would be charged every 5 years on every handgun you own. Additionally, you would have to register with the government in the same manner as sex-offenders.

WHAT THIS MEANS TO YOU

If Rahm Emanuel’s gun tax passes, you will be required to pack up your handguns and take them to the local police station for examination and registration. If you have 10 handguns to bring in, you’ll walk out paying $650 in taxes. If you own 100 handguns, the government will lighten your wallet to the tune of $6,500. And, you’ll have to repeat this process every 5 years – unless Emanuel and his buddies in the legislature bump this up to an ANNUAL FEE.

WHAT IF YOU DON’T HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY THE TAX?

If you cannot pay the $65 tax on EACH of your handguns, you will have to surrender your guns to the local police for destruction.

WHAT IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO PAY THE TAX?

If you decide not to pay the tax, the police will come to your house and take your guns away. They will also arrest you and charge you with a CLASS 2 FELONY.
    I am a member of the ISRA and receive regular newsletters and updates from them. I received this email today.
    Witty puns...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Illinois At It Again

Allow me to put on my shocked face..... Chicago is ran by criminals, bums, scum, and liberals (redundant). Seeing this vicious assault on guns is par-for-the-course for them.
    I will no longer be replying to any post from a Liberal going forward. I will continue, as normal, to discuss topics and engage in intellectual exchanges with non-leftist

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it is definitely more fodder for the Supreme Court.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It comes as no surprise. I don't see it passing, but Jesus Christ. You think they'd go after the real criminals... you know people who illegally obtain firearms and use them illegally...

But that's too hard. Fake crusades against law abiding citizens... much easier targets.
    Witty puns...