Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question if world government is necessary, is it possible?

1 the worlds problems can only be solved by world government.
    2the only world government that can work is one where the majority agree.
    3 world government would have to be totally ,fair, transparent,
    4 we hold these truths to be self evident. all men are created equal.
    so what happened?
    5 would one large party be brought down by many small ones?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: if world government is necessary, is it possible?

Quote Originally Posted by byrd5d View Post
    so what happened?

I don't even like the idea of big separate governments, let alone a world government.

Is there anything the government can do for you that you can't do for yourself?

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

How would any of the "world's problems" be solved by a world government? State and federal governments can't seem to solve their own internal problems (indeed they usually make them worse), so why would we believe a larger government could do so?
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    How would any of the "world's problems" be solved by a world government? State and federal governments can't seem to solve their own internal problems (indeed they usually make them worse), so why would we believe a larger government could do so?
    I think the spirit behind the desire for a "world government" is to unite mankind.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Don't we already have a world government in the creation process, the United Nations? Not all the countries are members, yet, but it's still a work in progress. I do not think it would solve all the world's problems, but it will contribute to unity.

Then there will never be a world government that works. The problem is that each country has its own way of doing things, and none of them want to change that. For instance, some of the Arabic countries include their religion with politics. America's Constitution prevents the combination of "church and state."

What do you mean by fair? By whose standards of fair would this world government operate?

4 we hold these truths to be self evident. all men are created equal. so what happened?
    This is only an American ideal. Are you expecting all of the countries to conform with America's standards?

That is not only possible but probable. I would be very nervous allowing one world government to have so much power. I am not even comfortable knowing that kind of power is currently present in the American government.
    It is not our abilities in life that show who we truly are; it is our choices. Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ladykrimson View Post
    I think the spirit behind the desire for a "world government" is to unite mankind.
    How would that solve any problems though?
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ladykrimson View Post
    But to what end?

Whether a world government is a good idea depends entirely on what kind of government it is. Big Brother in 1984 was probably a world government (since the wars with other countries were likely fabrications) and it sought to unite mankind but just under a totalitarian regime.

And I do think that it's best that many, many decisions about how people run their lives should be left to as small a power-base as possible, such as people, as much as possible, make their own decisions about how they will live their lives. But then people likewise should be protected, either as individuals or as entire communities and I do think that everyone on the planet should have their rights protected so there should be a global constitution of sorts where the right to free speech and self-defense (and other rights) are guaranteed to everyone.

So it'd be a tricky thing to establish a world government and the big issue is how much control will it have over everyone else. I certainly think the more centralized the government, the fewer aspects of our lives it can control.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    Only if I am the one in charge
    I disagree, I think I can kill enough people to make everyone fall in line.

No.. no.. we need to be unfair to the rich and kill them and disperse their property as I see fit.

so what happened?
    Turns out, some are more equal than others.

Not if you kill the other parties.
    To serve man.

Banned Indefinitely
    Post Thanks / Like

The should not be to give power to less people, but to give power to more people. World govt isnt likely.

Post Thanks / Like

This claim is unsupported. A single world government would not eliminate the age-old problems of poverty, famine, war, murder, robbery and natural disasters. To believe otherwise is merely wishful thinking and denial of human nature.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBrowning View Post
    This claim is unsupported. A single world government would not eliminate the age-old problems of poverty, famine, war, murder, robbery and natural disasters. To believe otherwise is merely wishful thinking and denial of human nature.

Countries that are allies are less likely to fight, making them the same county magnifies that. Also, war is fought by militaries so if the government doesb't attack its self there will be no war.

There will be separatists and angry people who may be unhappy and attack, but that is not really war.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Countries that are allies are less likely to fight, making them the same county magnifies that. Also, war is fought by militaries so if the government doesb't attack its self there will be no war.

There will be separatists and angry people who may be unhappy and attack, but that is not really war.
    How would that solve hunger, disease?

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

How would that solve hunger, disease?
    Not fighting wars releases resources to feed people and provide medical care.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Not fighting wars releases resources to feed people and provide medical care.
    Plenty of nations have been at peace for long periods of time and still had hunger and disease. Canada has not engaged in a major conflict since WWII and yet their "hunger" rates are roughly similar to the US. The same could be said of Europe.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of nations have been at peace for long periods of time and still had hunger and disease. Canada has not engaged in a major conflict since WWII and yet their "hunger" rates are roughly similar to the US. The same could be said of Europe.

As those places that currently do not produce become productive their standards of living will increas, and farm production will increase. As they say a rising tide lifts all ships. As war diminishes human happieness and well being increases.

The poor will always exist in relative terms and disease will always exist because we are living things, but with out war and greater cooperation they will be diminished significantly.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

As those places that currently do not produce become productive their standards of living will increas, and farm production will increase. As they say a rising tide lifts all ships. As war diminishes human happieness and well being increases.
    You ignored my question. Canada has similar hunger rates to the US and has spent virtually nothing on defense since WWII. How do you explain this discrepancy?

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

You ignored my question. Canada has similar hunger rates to the US and has spent virtually nothing on defense since WWII. How do you explain this discrepancy?

The discrepency if it really even is one is that poverty and hunger rates are pretty simmilar in all first world countries. Canada and the U.S. are neighbors and allies with smilar demographics. Also, both countries have many programs to address hunger, but a certain % of the population do not take advantage of. Perhaps there is a certain floor to the ability to end hunger. As it difficult to make people take the food in a free country.

Also, the U.S. and Canada have neither seen war on this continent in over a hundred years and neither have declared war since WWII. Canada didn't participate in Vietnam, but has fought with international coalitions since.

Canada and the United states which haven't had war on this continent in quite some time have much less hunger problems than countries or continents that have seen war more recently. Africa for example has a severe hunger crisis and the continent is in a constant state of war.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

The discrepency if it really even is one is that poverty and hunger rates are pretty simmilar in all first world countries. Canada and the U.S. are neighbors and allies with smilar demographics. Also, both countries have many programs to address hunger, but a certain % of the population do not take advantage of. Perhaps there is a certain floor to the ability to end hunger. As it difficult to make people take the food in a free country.

Also, the U.S. and Canada have neither seen war on this continent in over a hundred years and neither have declared war since WWII. Canada didn't participate in Vietnam, but has fought with international coalitions since.

Canada and the United states which haven't had war on this continent in quite some time have much less hunger problems than countries or continents that have seen war more recently. Africa for example has a severe hunger crisis and the continent is in a constant state of war.
    Your point was that nations are spending some portion of their income on National Defense when they could be spending it on reducing hunger, etc. Canada spends a far, far smaller portion of its income on National Defense and a proportionally higher amount on Social Welfare programs but has similar hunger rates. That clearly is a discrepancy in your theory.

The same could be said of Mozambique for example spends only 0.8% of its GDP on National Defense and hasn't had a major conflict since the 80s and yet is has massive hunger levels. Higher hunger levels than North Korea which spends virtually all of its GDP on National Defense. http://www.ifpri.org/sites/default/f...hi11poster.pdf
    So according to the data there doesn't really seem to be any correlation between Defense Spending and Hunger levels.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Your point was that nations are spending some portion of their income on National Defense when they could be spending it on reducing hunger, etc. Canada spends a far, far smaller portion of its income on National Defense and a proportionally higher amount on Social Welfare programs but has similar hunger rates. That clearly is a discrepancy in your theory.

The same could be said of Mozambique for example spends only 0.8% of its GDP on National Defense and hasn't had a major conflict since the 80s and yet is has massive hunger levels. Higher hunger levels than North Korea which spends virtually all of its GDP on National Defense. http://www.ifpri.org/sites/default/f...hi11poster.pdf
    So according to the data there doesn't really seem to be any correlation between Defense Spending and Hunger levels.
    I didn't say there was a correlation between Defense Spending and Hunger Levels. I said there is a correlation between war and hunger.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

so what happened?
    I'll ask the question no one else seemed to ask; so maybe I'm just stupid.

Is this a hypothetical where we presume X is necessary to solve Y; even though it may or may not be?
    Witty puns...

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't say there was a correlation between Defense Spending and Hunger Levels. I said there is a correlation between war and hunger.
    Ok, do you have any actual evidence of that? The data I linked shows that the Sudan (which has had a constant state of conflict for the last decade) has a lower hunger level than Mozambique which hasn't had a conflict in decades.

Can you provide any actual data for your personal opinion?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast