Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lazarus and the rich man - parable or actual event?

lol It looks pretty refuted to me. That you don't personally think it is, doesn't make it so. And it is because you are unable to see it so, that I do not think that any amount of reasoning will sway you. Which is why I said we have to agree to disagree.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    lol It looks pretty refuted to me. That you don't personally think it is, doesn't make it so. And it is because you are unable to see it so, that I do not think that any amount of reasoning will sway you. Which is why I said we have to agree to disagree.
    And I see many arguments without responses, but you are always welcome to depart the field with honor and I do not claim victory anywhere but in my own mind.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    And I see many arguments without responses, but you are always welcome to depart the field with honor and I do not claim victory anywhere but in my own mind.
    We have unfinished business, sirrah. I looked back at my last post, have to apologize if my tone may have been crass at the very beginning, and I think I can do even better than that post in terms of building a solid argument, so have at you!

Let's take stock of the data:

It's got the form of a parable. Luke uses the Greek word tis to introduce it, which he uses often to introduce his parables. Tis is an enclitic indefinite pronoun, that tells you you're about to be introduced to a certain person or object. Luke would say things like: "There was a farmer." "There was a certain rich man." Add to that that taking the story verbatim is implausible, given that a literal drop of water wouldn't be helpful, that Abraham accepted the rich man's prayer, that Abraham addressed the rich man as his "son", and that the words used to describe Lazarus' experience were less literal such as basanois (whose base meaning is "a touch-stone for testing metal", meaning he was in trying circumstances), and odunao (whose meaning is "mental grief"). Moreover, interpreting it like a parable is very compatible with the context.

A great deal of interpretations out there, when it comes to the more difficult to understand sayings of Christ, make Him seem like a rambler without any sense of the occasion. On the contrary, I would tend to think that just like many other middle eastern teachers He had novel material prepared for different occasions. How do you think it is that everyone remembered this stuff? Middle easterners get in a lot of repetition of this type of material, because there's something for every occasion and they dabble in it all the time. Think of Jesus more like a Jewish orator, leaving His mark on people with well packaged and easy to memorize sayings that could be repeated throughout the day, depending on the occasion, and these parables start to make more sense. We have our sudoku puzzles, and middle easterners have their parables.

So, it fits, it's plausible, it's more likely, and it's actually evidenced by the introduction.
    There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.
    Nahj ul-Balāgha by Ali bin Abu-Talib

Post Thanks / Like

Parable, since Jesus later said that no man had ascended up to heaven except he that descended from heaven.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Theist View Post
    Parable, since Jesus later said that no man had ascended up to heaven except he that descended from heaven.
    How does this prove that is was a parable?
    The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2