Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

How many liberals can say...

Just curious, how many liberals here can make 1 or more of the following statements and mean them to be true...

1) I love my country.
    2) I'm proud of my country.
    3) I'd die for my country.
    4) I'm proud of our military, its accomplishments, and the servicemen/women who serve in it.
    5) My country stands for freedom, liberty, and opportunity for all.

Just curious.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many liberals can say...

1) I love my country. I fear my government.
    2) I'm proud of my country. I'm appalled by my government.
    3) I'd die for my country. I wouldn't die for the individual ambitions of my government.
    4) I'm proud of our military, its accomplishments, and the servicemen/women who serve in it.
    5) My country stands for freedom, liberty, and opportunity for all. My government is working very hard to change this.

Conservatives are all too eager to blend country and government.
    Last edited by Apokalupsis; February 16th, 2005 at 02:43 PM.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Thread cleaned up (edited/deleted). Please stay on topic. If you cannot answer the questions, that's fine. Don't hijack the thread.

Thus far, we are 0/1 for liberals being able to make such statements. Any other takers?
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

An excellent set-up/trap.

1)I do.
    2)I am.
    Though not of it's actions as of late.
    3)I would. If drafted, even for a war I don't believe in, I would go, as I believe that a country who's population only fights when it agrees with the war has little power.
    4)I am proud of it's military, some of it's actions, and the servicemen/women who serve in it.
    5)That's the tricky one. I believe that that's the principles upon which it was founded, and upon which it's government was created, but I don't believe that it has always acted for those principles.
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis
    Just curious, how many liberals here can make 1 or more of the following statements and mean them to be true...

1) I love my country.

Just curious.
    I don't think any liberal here is proud of America, based on how they're always saying it's a fascism and whatnot.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

KB, I believe that the vast majority of 'fascist' comments were directed at conservatives, not America. Just as I suspect 'unpatriotic' will be directed at liberals in short order in this thread.
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvatar
    KB, I believe that the vast majority of 'fascist' comments were directed at conservatives, not America. Just as I suspect 'unpatriotic' will be directed at liberals in short order in this thread.
    Whoever they are directing it at, it's ridiculously inaccurate, and they need to stop. Modern American liberals have turned "Nazi" and "fascist" into meaningless words, by throwing them around whenever a Republican is arguing for preserving decency.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure we already have an entire thread devoted to bashing the fascist conservatives. this thread is to bash the unpatriotic liberals.
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure we already have an entire thread devoted to bashing the fascist conservatives. this thread is to bash the unpatriotic liberals.
    Actually Apok's initial post consists of questions, there is no bashing. The liberals are reacting defensively to this thread for no reason, when all it is is a few questions.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

An excellent set-up/trap.

1)I do.
    2)I am.
    Though not of it's actions as of late.
    3)I would. If drafted, even for a war I don't believe in, I would go, as I believe that a country who's population only fights when it agrees with the war has little power.
    4)I am proud of it's military, some of it's actions, and the servicemen/women who serve in it.
    5)That's the tricky one. I believe that that's the principles upon which it was founded, and upon which it's government was created, but I don't believe that it has always acted for those principles.
    Thank you for a serious response. Too sneaky for the wabbit hunter it would seem.

And fyi, my intent is not to create a "trap" that can be served as a volley of "you unpatriotic mofo!" hurls. It really is more of a curious nature, in that I want to see how liberals view their country. I realize that such a larger question (how do you feel about America?) isn't perfectly depicted in the above questions, but these are the areas I wish to concentrate on for the time being.

Regardless, you did surprisingly well...you know...for an "unpatriotic tree-hugger" and all that. :D
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

The better question is how many can make unqualified statements and I can only make 1 unqualified statement--I love my country. I can make the other statements with the following qualifications:

2) I'm proud of my country when its people and government live up to the ideals for which America stands; when it doesn't, I'm not (e.g., the religious-based homophobic anti-gay marriage agenda).

3) I'd die for my country under very limited circumstances and only if our very way of life was directly and substantively threatened (e.g., WWII, but not Vietnam, not Iraq).

4) I'm proud of our military, some of its accomplishments, and some of the servicemen/women who serve and have served in it.

5) My country stands for freedom, liberty, and opportunity for all, but in practice, these ideals are just that...ideals.

Post Thanks / Like

It's just my opinion, but if you are "picky" about when you love your country or not or when you support it, this is not true patriotism. Even though I did not agree with what Clinton did with his term of office, and even though the country seems divided now with Bush's second term, I can still honestly say that I LOVE my country to the fullest because the freedom and the "good things" it has given me far outweigh some of its dark periods. I am also able to say that I love the military fully because I believe it is only a very small number of individuals that have brought a bit of disgrace to it (such as those who have abused prisoners, and even those have been prosecuted by our government). Even if the public doesn't always agree with the wars that they fight or with their "accomplishments," I can respect the military as a whole because they do what they are supposed to do, which is to obey the Commander in Chief.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

1) I love my country.
    With all of my heart!
    When it's countrymen are not acting like glory hunting,racist hate mongers.
    maybe loose a hand or something.I think I'd better serve my country staying alive..Or breeding little soldiers.
    Profanity YEAH! My daddy spent a long time in a German Prison camp.His brother was killed.They did it for love of a country and the ideals that this country was founded on.I have respect for anyone that will sign their life over to protect our constitution and our freedom.
    Unless you are a woman,Gay,Child,transgender,fetus,minority or a has less. But white men seem to be doing pretty well.(lol)
    My country stands for all of those things, I'm not so sure about all of it's people.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Europe is a product of wars and history, America is a product of vision and ideas.

The problem is that those visions and ideas have become ever more strained and challenged with time and changing circumstances. Where there appeared a 'general' consensus, the situation is now more fragmented and contentious.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Post Thanks / Like

1) I love my country.
    1) I do.
    2) I am on a domestic level. On an international level, I believe that we have made something of a fool of ourselves and I'm not proud of that; it's pretty sad.
    3) I would not, in all honesty.
    4) I am.
    5) It does.
    Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers.--Voltaire

Post Thanks / Like

1) I love my country.

Just curious.
    1)yes
    2)yes and no (in regards to certain time periods and decisions)
    3)no
    4)yes
    5)only superficially
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tink
    maybe loose a hand or something.I think I'd better serve my country staying alive..Or breeding little soldiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by MI
    I would not, in all honesty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fysh
    no
    I detect a pattern here. With the exception of Boog and Tar.
    Last edited by KevinBrowning; February 16th, 2005 at 09:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I have to clarify. I believe that under no circumstances is it acceptable for one man to kill for another man. Absolutely no circumstances. Whatsoever. Ever.

Imagine the problems that would magically disappear if people simply understood this simple concept. You can even let people specifically try to kill others, so long as they have to do it themselves. Why? Because they'll most likely fail, the odds are always against them.

Anyway, that rules out all forms of military for my perspective. Thanks for not generalizing.
    Fortunately, the darkest of darkness is not as terrible as we fear.
    Unfortunately, the lightest of light, all things good, are not so wonderful as we hope for them to be.
    What, then, is left, but various shades of grey neutrality? Where are the heroes and villains? All I see are people.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I have to clarify. I believe that under no circumstances is it acceptable for one man to kill for another man. Absolutely no circumstances. Whatsoever. Ever.
    Clarify further: What about self-defense? I can't kill someone who's trying to rape me or my wife? Or someone who's trying to kill me or my kids?

Also, when you dodge the draft, you are making another man fight and die for you.

"Why can't we all just get along" doesn't stop people like bin Laden or Hitler.
    I detect a pattern here. With the exception of Boog.
    And, notably, Iluvatar.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

Post Thanks / Like

I detect a pattern here. With the exception of Boog.
    My answer was pretty straight-forward, but I'll elaborate, I suppose. I wouldn't die for this country. I wouldn't die for any country. To me, the United States is a mass of land combined with some basic principles. There are things to me that are gravely more important. If I were going to kill OR die over principles, it'd be those that I personally live by: my family namely. I'm a protective wife/mother/daughter, not a soldier.

For the record, though, I know a decent amount of conservatives who also would not willfully lay their lives on the line for this country.
    Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers.--Voltaire

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast