Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

What does God think of psychopaths?

If someone's brain does not function properly to the point where they have no conscience or moral compass, then do they even have a shot at acting morally or being judged on a god's moral scale?

If a god makes all the rules and he never makes mistakes, then these people are set up for failure in this physical life as well as the afterlife. If they committed many sins in this life because could not comprehend morality, then are they damned forever for a brain they had no control over, or would God forgive horrible crimes and let unconverted "evil" people into heaven?

I am an atheist so I do not believe in an afterlife. Justice would be keeping these people from harming others and providing them medical attention. I can accept that there are natural processes that can go wrong to cause a person's brain to not function correctly.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What does God think of psychopaths?

There are two ways one can/cannot comprehend morality; intellectually and empathetically. The former would be a case of mental retardation, the latter still means that at an intellectual level a person can understand morality. Can you provide any examples where someone who is not mentally retarded cannot comprehend morality?
    Last edited by chadn737; June 26th, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

Post Thanks / Like

I can comprehend cannibalism but I still will never practice it because on an empathetic level I find it revolting. So the psychopath my understand morality but be disgusted by it to the point of not being able to act morally.

What you forgot to take into account jadamcean is that a psychopaths brain is functioning properly. See God made that person a psychopath on purpose. As to why he did this is a matter of opinion. Personally I just think he is a dick.
    abc

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jadamcean View Post
    If a god makes all the rules and he never makes mistakes, then these people are set up for failure in this physical life as well as the afterlife.
    Just a question for clarity's sake here. If God is the ultimate source of morality (He makes all the rules) and these people are, in your view, born with Hell as their destiny...then what's the problem? In other words, if God is the ultimate source of Goodness and Justice, and He never makes a mistake, then why would Dahmer or Gacy being born incapable of escaping Hell be a bad thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by MyXenocide View Post
    I can comprehend cannibalism but I still will never practice it because on an empathetic level I find it revolting. So the psychopath my understand morality but be disgusted by it to the point of not being able to act morally.
    I'm not sure you properly grasp what it entails to be a psychopath. There's no revulsion at being righteous. Helping an old lady cross the street, or spreading the gospel isn't something genuine psychopaths are repulsed by or feel disgusted towards. Look at the Dennis Rader for instance. Rader, a serial killer, was actually elected to an important position in the church he attended. So it would be difficult to argue that they act immorally because they are disgusted by morality to the point of being incapable of acting morally.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyXenocide View Post
    What you forgot to take into account jadamcean is that a psychopaths brain is functioning properly. See God made that person a psychopath on purpose. As to why he did this is a matter of opinion. Personally I just think he is a dick.
    No, Xeno. You're attempting to have the cake and eat it too here. You cannot simultaneously argue that God is evil for "making" someone a psychopath if their brain is functioning properly. If it's functioning properly, then it isn't God's fault they're a psychopath. If it's not, then God's still not really got a bad rap here since He's the ultimate source of Good and never makes a mistake (Jad's words). The discussion kind of seems designed to defeat itself at this point since neither proposition holds water. But to be clear, I'll state it as clearly as possible what the problem between you two is here.

Jadamcean's problem here.
    -God makes all the rules (Ultimate source for morality)
    -He never makes mistakes.
    -He has made these people psychopaths.
    -Their brain is faulty and as a result, they don't get a fair shake at salvation.
    +Conclusion: They are strongly implied to be destined for Hell from birth and this is bad.

Problem: It does not logically follow that the ultimate source for morality would do something bad or contrary to His nature (which is to be the Ultimate Good). So it would stand to reason that in these instances either God is acting Immorally (contrary to His nature) or He is making a mistake (also contrary to His nature). If God is the ultimate source for morality and never makes mistakes, then it logically follows that there is nothing wrong with psychopaths being born destined for hell, if we can label the situation so.

Xeno's Problem Here:
    -Psychopaths brains function properly.
    -They are just disgusted by morality to the point of being incapable of acting morally.
    -God made them this way.
    +Conclusion: God is a dick.

Problem: If the brain functions properly then they, like you or I, would not be disgusted by moral acts. If the brain functions properly, then it would not be God's fault if they act immorally or are condemned to hell. If it's functioning properly, then God didn't make them a psychopath (unless you're arguing you and I and everyone else is psychotic).
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

5. Thanks Squatch347 thanked for this post
    Likes chadn737 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for taking part in this discussion.

To clarify some points:
    Research suggests that those whose amygdala and frontal cortexes are not developed properly often struggle with what we consider "normal" moral emotions. They have trouble empathizing with those around them and they often feel no guilt about their actions. I am no doctor and I do not claim to know much about psychosis, but a simple search online will yield the connection.

Mr. Hyde,
    I see you recognized the issue at the core of my question. I do not understand a God who can set up the rule for salvation and justly create someone with the knowledge that they have no fighting chance to achieve salvation. At least I do not understand why people would think that he is in any way kind, loving, or give any care about our souls at all. What good could ever come from creating a psychopath who harms those around him? What would be his purpose in creating a human who will cause harm to others? (I'm going to assume you might say it is to test the faith of the family of his helpless victims) But in that case, is it fair to use a soul and willingly damn it forever as a test for another soul, all because God gave him a brain that didn't work properly?

I understand that there are Christians (Calvinists) who believe in predestination. I know they are fine with the idea that God does create people with the knowledge that they are destined for Hell. But this way of thinking is not in line with the idea that a God is merciful or in any way kind. With an eternal life in the balance, it seems pretty cruel to let a faulty clump of cells be the cause for an eternal suffering.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh. Your using the statistical definition of normal. Okay then.
    abc

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a problem? Normal. Average. General. Whatever terminology you would like to use to mean not particularly out of the ordinary.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for taking part in this discussion.

To clarify some points:
    Research suggests that those whose amygdala and frontal cortexes are not developed properly often struggle with what we consider "normal" moral emotions. They have trouble empathizing with those around them and they often feel no guilt about their actions. I am no doctor and I do not claim to know much about psychosis, but a simple search online will yield the connection.

Mr. Hyde,
    I see you recognized the issue at the core of my question. I do not understand a God who can set up the rule for salvation and justly create someone with the knowledge that they have no fighting chance to achieve salvation. At least I do not understand why people would think that he is in any way kind, loving, or give any care about our souls at all. What good could ever come from creating a psychopath who harms those around him? What would be his purpose in creating a human who will cause harm to others? (I'm going to assume you might say it is to test the faith of the family of his helpless victims) But in that case, is it fair to use a soul and willingly damn it forever as a test for another soul, all because God gave him a brain that didn't work properly?

I understand that there are Christians (Calvinists) who believe in predestination. I know they are fine with the idea that God does create people with the knowledge that they are destined for Hell. But this way of thinking is not in line with the idea that a God is merciful or in any way kind. With an eternal life in the balance, it seems pretty cruel to let a faulty clump of cells be the cause for an eternal suffering.
    But not feeling empathy does not preclude an intellectual understanding of morality. Those that lack empathy know full well they do wrong, it's just that on an emotional level they do not care if another is hurt.

So if I understand that what I do is wrong even if I do not feel guilt, am I any less innocent?

No, because I still have the ability to know wrong from right.

The more pertinent question then is in regards to the individual who cannot intellectually understand morality, i.e. someone who is mentally retarded. And no Chrisitan theologian would say that those unable to understand such things would be judged by the same standard as they are more like infants.
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

10. Likes Mr. Hyde liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chad
    And no Chrisitan theologian would say that those unable to understand [moral issues] would be judged by the same standard [as those able to understand such issues] as they are more like infants. [edits by Rodriguez]
    So by what moral standard are infants or the mentally retarded judged, Chad?

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I do not understand a God who can set up the rule for salvation and justly create someone with the knowledge that they have no fighting chance to achieve salvation. At least I do not understand why people would think that he is in any way kind, loving, or give any care about our souls at all. What good could ever come from creating a psychopath who harms those around him?
    Can you please support or provide more detailed insight you seem to have with your claim that God creates psychopaths? Have you witnessed first-hand God's labratory and observed him creating psychopaths? If so, I would venture to say that our mental health professionals and doctors might be interested in talking with you soon.
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
    I know you have addressed this question to Chad but I hope you don't mind if I offer my thoughts. I have a 17 year old daughter who is physically disabled as well as mentally retarded - she has the mental abilities of a much younger child. So it is a question to which I have given much consideration.

As a Christian mother, I believe from Scripture, as follows.

Sin is not a problem since it has been dealt with by Jesus. He paid the penalty for all sin - past, present and future. So sin is no longer a barrier that separates mankind from a holy God. Therefore, the only possible problem that remains is one of unbelief in Jesus as God's provision to deal with sin. Which is why the Bible says: believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. And: For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

My daughter believes in Jesus; she believes she is loved by Him and that she is forgiven by Him. She believes that she will go to heaven to be with Jesus when she dies and that there she will be given a new body and will be able to walk - her great desire. She fully accepts that her Grandad is already in heaven with Jesus, and that when her much loved Grannie dies, she will go to heaven, too, so she need not be too sad as she will see her again.

It seems that little children, in their innocence, have an innate faith and trust in a good and loving God, which is somehow driven out of them by life's experiences. I have observed this in all nine of my children, not just the disabled one.

I think this is what Jeses was pointing to when he said words such as these:

Matthew 19:14 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.

Mark 10:15 I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.

And the warning:

Matthew 18:6 But whoever shall offend one of these little ones who believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
    Love is: the highest good of an other at my expense.

14. Thanks chadn737 thanked for this post
    Likes Mr. Hyde liked this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Hyde,
    I really don't have a solid answer here. Paul, in the first few chapters of Romans, does offer some incite in his lengthy point that everyone is damned. And not even because we're born sinful (I don't see any references to original sin there). But that we're condemned because we desire to do wrong (wrong here being that which God doesn't want us to do). Paul even goes so far as to say it's "with all our heart" that we strive to be evil in the eyes of God.

Now, the defining point here between you, me, and Rader, is that Rader is incapable of empathy. But, being of sound mind (intellectually), he would be capable of seeking help. Going out and saying, "I cannot feel compassion for others. I understand that this abnormal, and I need help to change that." He wouldn't be doing that out of emotion, obviously, but out of an intellectual understanding of humanity. In that respect, he's without excuse for his actions because he had the knowledge that he could seek help (and there's no evidence he did seek help that I've seen).

So there to, we could reasonably presume a few things here:

A) We, and the Psychopath, have the capacity to understand right and wrong.
    B) We, and the psychopath, have the ability to seek to change our behavior.

So the conclusion there would be that since the psychopath, like us, has the ability to conceptualise and understand wrongdoing, and the ability to seek help to prevent wrongdoing, that he is therefore without excuse for wrongdoing. Make sense?
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
    Nice, a softball question.

1) See Disinterested's post.

2) Nearly every denomination and church believes one of several possibilities. Some believe those that cannot comprehend salvation are automatically saved. Some believe that they will be given the chance to accept salvation at another point.

Post Thanks / Like

IOW, there is no one moral standard by which you believe that your god will judge children and the mentally retarded?

Nice ambiguous answer, Chad.

That's kind of what I thought you might say. It's amusing the way that some believers believe in something that they cannot define. Ask them about god and some of them say the equivalent of, "Well maybe god is this way or maybe god is that way or maybe god is some other way -- but whichever way god is, I believe in Him!"

lol

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Hyde,

Point A:
    I agree that people without empathetic feelings can be taught social behavior, but I don't believe that they can ever understand morality without empathy. You could teach a child to sort vegetables from fruits like you could teach a psychopath to sort lawful actions from unlawful ones. But this doesn't mean the child knows the biological differences between the two, just as a psychopath does not understand the reasons why an action was categorized as moral or immoral, even if you told them about helping and harming. Why should they believe that helping is moral and harming is immoral? You would need empathy to fully understand morality. I also think they have a problem controlling their impulses.

Our frontal cortex is what allows us to reign in our impulses. This is the last part to fully develop and it is responsible for what makes us behave in a mature manner. In other words, we all have those unexplainable desires to maybe scream for no other reason than "I really wanna," but our frontal cortex says, "no, we are in a board meeting right now and this would not look good." This is why some parents give the excuse, "he's just a kid," when their teen does something irresponsible. (I do not excuse teenagers for violent actions btw, this was just to make the frontal cortex's importance more clear) For someone without that frontal development, they would do those crazy impulsive things. Perhaps violent things. It can cause you to lack foresight and without that safety net of empathy, they can inflict harm.

Even in a court of law we have those who are found not guilty by reason of insanity, often because they have a mental disorder that was not kept in check.

Point B:
    Yes we can all strive to make ourselves better. It's not really that easy to recognize a mental deficiency like this in oneself. Even if they did, why would they feel obligated to get treated? Remember, they have no obligation to want to behave morally anyway. Why do they care? How do they know what they are missing? Obviously many of these people need to be medicated and kept in a safe environment. Not all of these people have someone to notice the signs and get treatment before the damage is done.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Point A:
    I agree that people without empathetic feelings can be taught social behavior, but I don't believe that they can ever understand morality without empathy. You could teach a child to sort vegetables from fruits like you could teach a psychopath to sort lawful actions from unlawful ones. But this doesn't mean the child knows the biological differences between the two, just as a psychopath does not understand the reasons why an action was categorized as moral or immoral, even if you told them about helping and harming. Why should they believe that helping is moral and harming is immoral? You would need empathy to fully understand morality. I also think they have a problem controlling their impulses.
    Well it really just boils down to two different forms of understanding. As a child, you may understand that hurting people is wrong because it feels bad to you, even though you don't understand it intellectually. Whereas adults are able to intellectualise the wrong of hurting people, regardless of whether or not they feel it on an emotional level. It may hinder or complicate the issue, but doesn't really make it impossible. And the information we have on psychopaths is pretty interesting in the regard to moral inclinations.

By all accounts, Dennis Rader was a loving father, dedicated church-goer, and zealous employee. Keeping his family happy, or doing a good job, even his worship every sunday didn't require him to feel anything emotive to excel in those areas. Ed Gein's another. Gein was quiet, solitary, and generally kept to himself. Most people referred to him as odd but nice. Bundy, also known for being extremely charismatic and kind. It actually speaks quite a bit to the issue, I'd say, when a lot of these guys are able to carry out satisfactory relationships (keeping people happy) over long periods of time, without ever showing an inability to feel remorse or empathy. And even then, I'd say it's debateable as to whether it's strictly genetic or not. Most, if not all, of the instances of psychopaths are people with a warped history as a child. Rader tortured animals. Dahmer stalked, raped, and murdered a jogger who frequently passed by his house before he was old enough to have a license. Gein was raised in a solitary condition by an overbearing mother. Etc. Etc. Their environment actually has a lot to do with how they think and behave.

I'll give an example here for the sake of contrast. Bundy was charismatic and overly-friendly for the purpose of luring women to their doom. He'd haunt college campuses with a fake cast on his arm, generally having trouble with his car or something, and when a lady came along to help this nice-injured man, he'd spring on them. His social etiquette was completely forged and ingenuine. But you contrast that with another psychopath, Ed Gein. Gein was generally nice to everyone...and he didn't use that kindness to lure anyone to death. He knew what he did was wrong too, saying in court, "Ya know, I see a pretty girl and part of me says, 'I'd really like to take her out to dinner.' Then another part of me says, 'I wonder what her head would look like on a spike." He was actually aware of his own problem, and it can even be argued that it's out of his grief over the death of his mom that he committed the crimes he did. Again, opposed to Bundy, fellow psychopath, whose crimes were motived by his fantasies.

Our frontal cortex is what allows us to reign in our impulses. This is the last part to fully develop and it is responsible for what makes us behave in a mature manner. In other words, we all have those unexplainable desires to maybe scream for no other reason than "I really wanna," but our frontal cortex says, "no, we are in a board meeting right now and this would not look good." This is why some parents give the excuse, "he's just a kid," when their teen does something irresponsible. (I do not excuse teenagers for violent actions btw, this was just to make the frontal cortex's importance more clear) For someone without that frontal development, they would do those crazy impulsive things. Perhaps violent things. It can cause you to lack foresight and without that safety net of empathy, they can inflict harm.
    This actually sounds more like what happens with kids who are autistic or suffering from Asperger's. It's not that psychopaths have a compulsion they can't control. That's not at all what's going on there. It's a fantasy scenario they are trying to live out that's actually unfulfillable, so they kill again and again. It's why they have what's called a Signature. It's an aspect of the crime they engage in to try and complete the fantasy, but an aspect that in no way serves to help them get away with the crime (which is what separates it from their MO).

For instance, there were two bank-robbers that actually really similar methods of robbery. One would make everyone strip naked while he was there. This was an MO because it kept people from looking at his face, and being more compelled to get dressed rather than call the cops when he left. The other bank robber made everyone strip down too, but he took pictures of everyone. The photography was a signature. It didn't actually help him in any way, and actually put him at increased risk of arrest by keeping him at the crime scene longer.
    Point B:
    Yes we can all strive to make ourselves better. It's not really that easy to recognize a mental deficiency like this in oneself. Even if they did, why would they feel obligated to get treated? Remember, they have no obligation to want to behave morally anyway. Why do they care? How do they know what they are missing? Obviously many of these people need to be medicated and kept in a safe environment. Not all of these people have someone to notice the signs and get treatment before the damage is done.
    Here's the thing though, in almost every interview with a psychopath the FBI conducts, they acknowledge (the psycho) that they're different, and knew (most admit from childhood) that they were different from everyone else around. Knowing that you're different at an early age, and attentive parenting, could probably prevent a lot of these people's rise to crime. I mean, if I noticed my step-son butchering animals, or being cruel to them, I'd be grabbing the soul-shovel and digging in til he and I found the root of the issue and resolved it (not saying they're bad parents, but often we aren't as attentive as we should be, and that's for the ones who had stable two-parent homes).

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    It does not logically follow that the ultimate source for morality would do something bad or contrary to His nature (which is to be the Ultimate Good). So it would stand to reason that in these instances either God is acting Immorally (contrary to His nature) or He is making a mistake (also contrary to His nature). If God is the ultimate source for morality and never makes mistakes, then it logically follows that there is nothing wrong with psychopaths being born destined for hell, if we can label the situation so.
    But that does contradict the notion that God loves us all - at least by any standard of love that I can comprehend for I can't see how one could say that he loves a being who he has created to fail and then punish that being for a failure that is not his fault.

BTW, I am not presenting an argument against God's existence but an argument against the concept of eternal damnation (which is not necessary for God to exist).

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Problem: It does not logically follow that the ultimate source for morality would do something bad or contrary to His nature (which is to be the Ultimate Good). So it would stand to reason that in these instances either God is acting Immorally (contrary to His nature) or He is making a mistake (also contrary to His nature). If God is the ultimate source for morality and never makes mistakes, then it logically follows that there is nothing wrong with psychopaths being born destined for hell, if we can label the situation so.
    In addition to Mican's observations (which I agree with entirely, BTW), there's a real problem here. There is something QUITE wrong about free-willed individuals being born destined for hell; namely that their free will is ineffective in influencing the final outcome of their existence, which means they effectively have no free will at all. So if it were me, before I said "there is nothing wrong with psychopaths being born destined for hell", I'd first have to determine whether or not "psychopaths being born destined for hell" is something that actually happens.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to play devils advocate in this post to illustrate a point.

Psychopaths are not made by god to be psychopaths. They are instead simply a manifestation of the worst of human sin. Their souls are dark and twisted and have shut out the virtues of compassion. Their brain dysfunction is a manifestation of their soul's evil, an act of will so complete that it has warped their minds to the core. While medical science cannot confirm this effect because they cannot in their limited capacity examine the soul or its direct effects on reality, it is far more likely that this is true rather than an Omnipotent and all Loving god would force such a state on a person. It must be that this is a result of the individuals own nature, and we have ample evidence that great evil is not all that uncommon among human beings. These are only an extreme example of this.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    But that does contradict the notion that God loves us all - at least by any standard of love that I can comprehend for I can't see how one could say that he loves a being who he has created to fail and then punish that being for a failure that is not his fault.
    But God isn't punishing them for failures that aren't their fault. No one is moving them. They move themselves. If an agent is acting of his own accord, then it doesn't really matter whether or not he's predisposed to a certain behavior or characteristic. If such were the case, then any birth defect that influences behavior would be argued to suggest that those individuals lack the freedom to act of their own accord.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
    In addition to Mican's observations (which I agree with entirely, BTW), there's a real problem here. There is something QUITE wrong about free-willed individuals being born destined for hell; namely that their free will is ineffective in influencing the final outcome of their existence, which means they effectively have no free will at all. So if it were me, before I said "there is nothing wrong with psychopaths being born destined for hell", I'd first have to determine whether or not "psychopaths being born destined for hell" is something that actually happens.
    I offered that language in response to how the OP was worded. It was worded to suggest that such people are born with no outcome other than Hell. So I pointed that if God is the ultimate moral good, then such things are ultimately Just actions. If you read on in my exchange JadaMcean, you'll see I'm not an advocate of that view. BUT, it does indicate there's only two distinct possibilities in this scenario:

1) God, the ultimate source of Good, never does wrong. So a man born with no other possible outcome but Hell is ultimately Just.
    Or
    2) Psychopaths are free-agents (have free will) and thus God condemns their freely chosen actions. Which, again, would ultimately be Just.

Either way, it's not really an instance where God is acting wrongly or making a mistake.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast