Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers, to the one true Christian...

It brings tears to my eyes just writing this.

This is a letter to Talthas. Or, Bob, as he is in real life.

Bob, I want to thank you. I want to thank you for actually practicing what you preach: love. You were there as I walked through the pit of hell. There to listen. There to understand. Smart enough to keep up. Smart enough to impress me (that does not happen often). Enough wisdom to not be dazzled by my motherF($)CKING SUPER POWERS. And - just like Jesus - the power to speak and silence a storm.

The darkness has begun to crack. I see the light now... feels like stepping out of a Dodge Viper and into a Ferrari 458 Italia. Yes, more horsepower - but, most importantly, the technology and equipment necessary to keep up with all of that raw, howling power.

That's it, bro. Just a lil' update, bruh. Cheers. Cheers to the one True Christian.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cheers, to the one true Christian...

Quote Originally Posted by HermanLeadread View Post
    Cheers to the one True Christian.
    This is nice.

Close your eyes. Fall in love. Stay there.
    Rumi

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator
    ODN Rules

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea of the background behind this thread, but the first post is pretty special.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Senior Mod

Post Thanks / Like

I'm flattered to be the subject of such effusive praise. I hardly feel I deserve it, but I appreciate the sentiment. Thank you very much, my friend. It is always a pleasure to talk with you, Herman... you have a brilliant mind and an easy charisma that makes conversations enjoyable and interesting.

I don't feel that I have done anything special, but I am glad that our talks have had a beneficial effect for you. All I have truly done is point out the natural implications of the philosophical ideas and intellectual musings you have shared with me, and how those things might affect you in the short term and the long term. It is - and has always been - my sincere hope that you will find your way to an interior condition that is peaceful, fulfilling, stable and firmly rooted in what is true, beautiful, and good. You have a great deal to offer to humanity if you should ever choose to use your talents in that way. It is - and has always been - my sincere hope that this will one day come to pass, as well.

Be well. I am sure we will speak again soon.
    -=[Talthas]=-
    ODN Senior Moderator

ODN Rules

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I smell a hint of a No True Scotsman here.
    I will no longer be replying to any post from a Liberal going forward. I will continue, as normal, to discuss topics and engage in intellectual exchanges with non-leftist

Post Thanks / Like

Where's the argument?

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Note that this is a discussion thread, not a debate thread, so there's no requirement for an opening argument per se. My guess is that Herman wanted to pay tribute to one of our members in a forum that's a bit more conspicuous than the Club House Forums, which do not appear on the Home Page.

8. Thanks Talthas thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

An admirable expression of friendship, but you sort of ruin the effect by implying that there are no other "true Christians" on ODN or elsewhere.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done HL!
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

Post Thanks / Like

KB,

An admirable expression of friendship, but you sort of ruin the effect by implying that there are no other "true Christians" on ODN or elsewhere.
    I think he meant it as, "The one person who was a true christian TO ME." or perhaps, I always thought Christians were all fake till you..."

I myself thought (and still kinda do) think he was being sarcastic and facetious. Not knowing the history, I could be wrong. He's a good writer though.

Ethan
    Thinking is NOT an automatic process

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ethan View Post
    KB,
    I think he meant it as, "The one person who was a true christian TO ME." or perhaps, I always thought Christians were all fake till you..."

I myself thought (and still kinda do) think he was being sarcastic and facetious. Not knowing the history, I could be wrong. He's a good writer though.
    Ethan
    He is being genuine about Talthas, challenging to other Christians.

Keep in mind that many Atheists end up interacting with what I'd call the worst of Christians. We attract the nutters and we are attracted to them as people to argue with. The rank and file of Christianity don't get in our face and we don't have cause to get in theirs.

I think its somewhat rare to find truly generous people who are consistently loving to others. I am often happy when I encounter such folks and I try to be such a person (and don't always achieve it). I've never round any strong association between such attitudes and any given faith or lack there of. I find it most often has to do with innate personality or the kinds of people you grew up with. Though some churches I've known do embody such ideals in their organization. (For instance the Mormon church has been incredibly good to some members of my family when they were very much struggling which left me with a good impression of them, and some of them in turn do great things for others; my Aunt dedicates her life to raising foster children which I consider incredibly noble.)

But what often stands out for us are the Christians we meet who are deeply hypocritical and corrupt, who by their actions betray nearly everything it would seem their savior represents. A few bad apples can do a lot of PR damage for a large number of decent people. Add to that sanctimonious rhetoric and it leaves a very bad taste in your mouth. One example would be my Cousins church who basically abandoned her when a child they adopted turned out to have been abusing their natural children for years. Instead of supporting and sustaining them they were shunned and ostracized because of how embarrassing and painful the revelation was. Those were not true Christians even though that group holds themselves up as better than other Christians for their more strict adherence to biblical truth. But when it came time to show real love and courage, they proved callous cowards. My cousins faith in God was not hurt, but her faith in people was devastated.

So... true Christians, they deserve all the accolades we can offer. The monsters parading as those who worship a god of love and justice, they deserve our scorn.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    He is being genuine about Talthas, challenging to other Christians.

Keep in mind that many Atheists end up interacting with what I'd call the worst of Christians. We attract the nutters and we are attracted to them as people to argue with. The rank and file of Christianity don't get in our face and we don't have cause to get in theirs.

I think its somewhat rare to find truly generous people who are consistently loving to others. I am often happy when I encounter such folks and I try to be such a person (and don't always achieve it). I've never round any strong association between such attitudes and any given faith or lack there of. I find it most often has to do with innate personality or the kinds of people you grew up with. Though some churches I've known do embody such ideals in their organization. (For instance the Mormon church has been incredibly good to some members of my family when they were very much struggling which left me with a good impression of them, and some of them in turn do great things for others; my Aunt dedicates her life to raising foster children which I consider incredibly noble.)

But what often stands out for us are the Christians we meet who are deeply hypocritical and corrupt, who by their actions betray nearly everything it would seem their savior represents. A few bad apples can do a lot of PR damage for a large number of decent people. Add to that sanctimonious rhetoric and it leaves a very bad taste in your mouth. One example would be my Cousins church who basically abandoned her when a child they adopted turned out to have been abusing their natural children for years. Instead of supporting and sustaining them they were shunned and ostracized because of how embarrassing and painful the revelation was. Those were not true Christians even though that group holds themselves up as better than other Christians for their more strict adherence to biblical truth. But when it came time to show real love and courage, they proved callous cowards. My cousins faith in God was not hurt, but her faith in people was devastated.

So... true Christians, they deserve all the accolades we can offer. The monsters parading as those who worship a god of love and justice, they deserve our scorn.
    What's interesting and maybe also troublesome to me, here, is that this site doesn't seem like the best medium through which to express the kind of agape I start with and foster into more meaningful agape with you all. How do I express here that I genuinely love ODN's members? Christian love is something to be given, seen, felt, and ought to be the thing a Christian most constantly dwells upon. But where and how can get in the way. That is because the kind of love we need to show may seem inexpressible, not compatible, with some mediums. And it is an unnatural thing to us in and of itself. Yet that is no excuse for it's not being here enough.

We, as Christians, should go out of our way more to express overwhelming graciousness. Maybe it can be done by keeping not just a neutral but a positive tone, no matter the direction of discussions here. And maybe our concern for others ought to be more presently seen. Certainly, our gratitude ought to be fully on display when there is an opportunity for it.

For example: Dio and I have been having a little discussion about Leviticus 20:13. During the course of the discussion he has said that he appreciates the effort I've given, and has shown a fair amount of effort of his own as well. I think that I should be more appreciative and gracious towards him than I have been so far, and that I should be more "audible" while doing so.
    There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.
    Nahj ul-Balāgha by Ali bin Abu-Talib