Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Human's Symbol

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Human's Symbol

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    So wait...diversity only counts amongst those who have a homogeneous opinion?
    the only opinion that is required is that it is beneficial for cultures to unite for defense rather than fight on their own. This does not mean that the cultures have to merge or be subsumed by a more militarily advanced culture.

Quote Originally Posted by squatch
    Does diversity make, say, a basketball team stronger? Are basketball teams better if they include a wide array of sexes, disabilities and ages?
    just because the human alliance represents diversity doesnt mean that everyone has to be a soldier, only that the soldiers are responsible for everyone.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AuspiciousFist View Post
    the only opinion that is required is that it is beneficial for cultures to unite for defense rather than fight on their own. This does not mean that the cultures have to merge or be subsumed by a more militarily advanced culture.
    You argued earlier that diversity was a strength. Why is that true in all areas but this one?

Quote Originally Posted by AF
    just because the human alliance represents diversity doesnt mean that everyone has to be a soldier, only that the soldiers are responsible for everyone.
    My question was about your earlier statement about diversity being a strength. Clearly that is not always true, so what criteria enable it to be a strength?
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Actually assuming the aliens do not have the same limb configuration that we do, a human stick figure would be a good symbol if we want to keep it simple.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    You argued earlier that diversity was a strength. Why is that true in all areas but this one?

My question was about your earlier statement about diversity being a strength. Clearly that is not always true, so what criteria enable it to be a strength?
    I don't know where I called diversity a "strength," nor exactly what kind of strength you are talking about.

I suppose, though, the strength of preserving diversity is the strength of having people from different cultures willingly unite under a common goal while still preserving what they are fighting for. A South American man will not fight so hard if victory still means ignoring or subsuming his culture and their contributions. No one will want to support an organization that says theirs is the only culture that it is really worth saving, or at least more worthy.

It also gives the strength of moral high ground, in that humans united together in affirmation of shared worth rather than some being forced to choose between their history and traditions and their lives... it would certainly make things a lot more pleasant during the reconstruction after the war.

-----As a side note, I'm a little confused by the objections from you and Chad. The premise of the thread is that a global alliance is necessary to defeat the aliens. A global alliance presupposes diversity, or else it wouldn't be an alliance, but a single empire. If your position is that a cross-cultural human alliance is undesirable then you might as well just come out and say it.

Jackmldog
    -----As a side note, I'm a little confused by the objections from you and Chad. The premise of the thread is that a global alliance is necessary to defeat the aliens. A global alliance presupposes diversity, or else it wouldn't be an alliance, but a single empire. If your position is that a cross-cultural human alliance is undesirable then you might as well just come out and say it.
    Exactly.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where I called diversity a "strength," nor exactly what kind of strength you are talking about.
    Ok, so we all at least acknowledge that diversity is not necessarily a strength given the context of a situation.

You've implied through several posts here that he human civilization would be stronger because it would be culturally diverse. I don't see why that is necessarily true at all. Math isn't stronger because we have a diversity of opinion about what 1+1 equals. Diversity of culture is only a benefit when the cultures included act to reinforce mutual goals and those goals are productive with reality. Diversity of thought in Europe in the 1930s didn't lead to a strengthening of Europe, it led to its near destruction.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

My objection is to Political Correctness. When I wrote my original post I was noticing a lot of PC nonsense around campus, in the news, etc and thought it would be amusing to repeat the rhetoric in the context of earlier comments. I guess I am always shocked that some people take that so literally and actually insist on everything being PC.
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

TudorRose

I'd go for Da Vinci's Virtruvian Man

9. Likes Squatch347 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Like this?
    Attachment 3211

Or what about something universally nuetral like this:
    Attachment 3212

Personally, I think Troll Guy fits best for humanity, but personally, the most badass flag humanity could ever have would be this:
    Attachment 3213

Granted, there's a gay things going on in that picture, but the gayness culminates in the most badass picture ever drawn.

I really like the idea of using the "halflife" symbol which brings me the my reason for making an account to reply. The best single symbol I've found was the Chinese symbol for "human" or "mankind" called "ren." It's a swooping up side down V which looks like this ---> 人

I'm planing to get a tattoo of this symbol. or use it for the name of a band

11. Likes Squatch347 liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2