Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What would you change on ODN?

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Yeah. The advanced post rating thing definitely seems pretty cool. I would imagine some added Java script to that plugin would lock the thread should you exceed some amount of thumbs up/down behavior. Although, I suppose only the person who receives 10 thumbs down votes should be locked out from posting in that thread. There may be other debaters holding a similar position that are providing better arguments. That would actually make the java script easier I'd think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatch
    Of course, I am no web page guy....
    Oh wait, I misquoted that, you said that, not me. ;-) I'm not dev guy either. But Alice is, and I married her. Hmm....
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
    I'd try to change the overall tenor of the site. I'm sick of every discussion turning into some sort of stupid "battle" where we all wave our cerebral penises around. I'm more interested in interesting discussions at this point. I'm tired of all the arguing and fighting, but that's how it always, always, always goes.
    I realize this is an old post by Dio, but I've always liked this idea also. Maybe we can consider a "Salon" type of forum, were it's not based on an OP with an argument or necessarily supporting an argument, but a topic of interest where people can just discuss it. It would have to be subject to ODN flaming and trolling rules, however. We could come with some guidelines for it.

I use to be part of a small Salon group where we all met once a week at a coffee shop and had some very interesting discussions. Sometimes they turned into small debates, but if someone got too huffy and wanted to debate, the group moderator would bring the discussion back on topic -- but it was mostly discussion and the exchange of ideas and different perspectives. It was a very positive experience.

Salon (gathering)
    The salon was an Italian invention of the 16th century which flourished in France throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. The salon continued to flourish in Italy throughout the 19th century. In 16th-century Italy, some scintillating circles formed in the smaller courts which resembled salons, often galvanized by the presence of a beautiful and educated patroness such as Isabella d'Este or Elisabetta Gonzaga.

One important place for the exchange of ideas was the salon. The word salon first appeared in France in 1664 (from the Italian word salone, itself from sala, the large reception hall of Italian mansions). Literary gatherings before this were often referred to by using the name of the room in which they occurred, like cabinet, réduit, ruelle and alcôve.[1] Before the end of the 17th century, these gatherings were frequently held in the bedroom (treated as a more private form of drawing room):[2] a lady, reclining on her bed, would receive close friends who would sit on chairs or stools drawn around. This practice may be contrasted with the greater formalities of Louis XIV's petit lever, where all stood. Ruelle, literally meaning "narrow street" or "lane", designates the space between a bed and the wall in a bedroom; it was used commonly to designate the gatherings of the "précieuses", the intellectual and literary circles that formed around women in the first half of the 17th century. The first renowned salon in France was the Hôtel de Rambouillet not far from the Palais du Louvre in Paris, which its hostess, Roman-born Catherine de Vivonne, marquise de Rambouillet (1588–1665), ran from 1607 until her death.[3][4] She established the rules of etiquette of the salon which resembled the earlier codes of Italian chivalry.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salon_(gathering)
    Close your eyes. Fall in love. Stay there.
    Rumi

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator
    ODN Rules

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

That would depend strongly on the people, that used to be what the regulars were like, I could see creating a sub-forum in that section and working on that group's membership.
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

You guys need to either edit the **** out of it or stop using whatever forum program you're using, because it's an unstable product, and this is unacceptable. I've had 45,000 character posts deleted so many times now I am considering not posting on ODN because of the pure frustration tax that your website currently invokes. You need to have better long-term support for posts, because repeatedly deleting my posts is grating on my nerves, and I'm pretty much done with this bull****. Give people a week before you delete saved posts and stop logging people out of their god**** accounts if you want to prevent ODN from further eating posts. (btw, when it logs you out it eats your posts, too).

It's been like 7 times in a row now, and this is completely unacceptable. What, do you want me to write all of my posts in a ****ing word editor and c/p them to ODN? Are you serious?

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Why do you have a 45,000 character cap anyways? I mean, other than to serve as a new way to annoy members?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

We currently use Vbulletin. Apok is working on shifting us over the Xenforo, but he still has real world work requirements and it isn't exactly cheap.

I completely sympathize with the eaten post issue. Vbulletin has become progressively less stable as features have been added to it, hence the preparation for a switch.

We currently don't establish a character limit on any post in any thread (besides the minimum).

What "Log out" message are you getting?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen that happen on other vbullitains, something causes some users to log out after very short periods of time with expired credentials and so from when they start a post to posting they no longer have credentials and after login the post is gone.

Seen it on MMO forums I used and such. Drives people insane.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Any idea what the mechanism is there?

I've also noticed that our "save image and host locally" functionality has disappeared as well.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    We currently use Vbulletin. Apok is working on shifting us over the Xenforo, but he still has real world work requirements and it isn't exactly cheap.

I completely sympathize with the eaten post issue. Vbulletin has become progressively less stable as features have been added to it, hence the preparation for a switch.

We currently don't establish a character limit on any post in any thread (besides the minimum).

What "Log out" message are you getting?
    Anytime I try to post a post with more than 45,000 characters, ODN tells me I can't do it.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Care to expound?
    Expound. Excellent word choice.

Think about it like this. Some ex-girlfriends you give a severance package. Other exes, you send to the pound.

In other words, some people deserve to be punished more. Some posts deserve to be negged the **** out of.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

For longer posts, I've always found it wiser and safer to type them in a word processor first, then copy the text to the posting interface. It's not that big of a deal. There's just too many factors that can go wrong when you are typing for a long time live online. Even long online application forms that require a user to be online for a long period of time will now allow the user to save their data as they move through the form because of the different factors that can go wrong while you're online typing. It's not just the software running the forum. It could be the ISP or an internet connection issue or security software glitches or hackers playing around or any number of other potential factors that can affect a long online typing session.

ODN is not the only board where long responses sometimes get eaten up. I've seen this happen on lots of boards.
    Close your eyes. Fall in love. Stay there.
    Rumi

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator
    ODN Rules

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

GP, you mentioned getting "logged out" is there a specific message when that happens or just the 45,000 character limit message you offered?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    GP, you mentioned getting "logged out" is there a specific message when that happens or just the 45,000 character limit message you offered?
    I forget. I think it said something along the lines of "You haven't signed in yet." when you go to post or view the current draft of the message.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Odd, do you have the "remember me" box checked when you log in? My guess is that it might be a browser issue.
    Last edited by Someguy; June 11th, 2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: What is a "Remember be" box? =p

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I still love ODN as much as I did when I was actively debating. As a South African it was very hard for me to work my way up in the 'ranks' here as most people here are from the US. Coming from a totally different background and culture I would probably like debating issues with people who are also from the same culture and background. Unfortunately they prefer to do it in Afrikaans and shy away from English.

It will be a huge task to open up this forum for other languages and countries. I can just imagine what amount of moderation will go into that, so I know it is something that will most likely never realize.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoldPhoenix View Post
    I forget. I think it said something along the lines of "You haven't signed in yet." when you go to post or view the current draft of the message.
    I get this pretty frequently. When I installed a new browser, the issue went away. So, I am thinking there is some cleanup not occurring which results in stale data, which results in log-in issues. I have seen the issue occur in IE and Chrome. So, I do not believe it is a browser issue.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2