Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Reaching safety

Post Thanks / Like

Reaching safety

Once three men went on an ocean cruise. One of them was an athlete who was in top physical condition and was a champion swimmer. The second knew how to swim and occasionally exercised but generally didn’t attach much importance to keeping fit. The third was a couch potato who didn’t know how to swim and was too lazy to ever exercise. There were plenty of things they could do on the ship to occupy their time and they became so interested in these activities that they didn’t bother to keep track of where the ship was.

One day when all three of them were on the deck there was an explosion which blew a hole in the hull and the ship suddenly sank. It happened so quickly the men didn’t have a chance to put on life jackets or get into lifeboats. They found themselves floating in the ocean without even any debris which they could grab onto to keep themselves afloat.

The one who couldn’t swim sank right away. The other two began swimming in an effort to reach the safety of land.

Unfortunately they didn’t realize that the nearest land was several hundred miles away. The one who exercized moderately was able to swim for a while but he soon became exhausted and sank. The athlete was able to keep going for a long time and go many miles from the site of the wreck but even he couldn’t make it to land and so he ended up at the bottom of the ocean like the others.

The Bible says,

It is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment.
    Hebrews 9:27 ESV

The fate of these three men shows what will happen to those who are judged on the bases of how well they have lived. The couch potato represents those who make no attempt whatever to live a good life. The one who exercised moderately is like the vast majority of people who make some attempt to live right but don’t consider it the most important thing in life. The athlete stands for those who devote their lives to doing good and hope to earn a place in heaven by the way they live.

And behold, a lawyer stood up to put Jesus to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How do you read it?” And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” And he said to him, “You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live.”
    Luke 10:25-28 ESV

This is the standard which we must meet if we want of earn God’s approval. Some people come closer to it than others do but no one fulfills it completely.

But suppose there was another ship present when the first ship sank. The captain of the second ship saw the men in the water and ordered his crew to throw lifelines to them. Then all they had to do was grab hold of the lines and they would be pulled to safety. In this situation it wouldn’t matter to any of them how well they could swim. In fact they wouldn’t be able to both grab the lifeline and try to swim to safety. They must choose to do one or the other.

God knows that none of us can meet his standards by our own efforts but he loves us and so has made a way for us to fulfill his requirements. He sent his Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to save us from our sins. Jesus lived a perfect life and completely fulfilled God’s requirements. He then allowed himself to be crucified so that he could bear the punishment we deserve.

But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way;and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
    Isaiah 53:5-6 ESV

Anyone who will acknowledge his sins and his inability to meet God’s standard and put his faith in Jesus will have his sins forgiven and will be accepted by God at the final judgment.

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
    Romans 10:9-10 ESV
    The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Blog

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by theophilus View Post
    Once three men went on an ocean cruise. One of them was an athlete who was in top physical condition and was a champion swimmer. The second knew how to swim and occasionally exercised but generally didn’t attach much importance to keeping fit. The third was a couch potato who didn’t know how to swim and was too lazy to ever exercise. There were plenty of things they could do on the ship to occupy their time and they became so interested in these activities that they didn’t bother to keep track of where the ship was.

One day when all three of them were on the deck there was an explosion which blew a hole in the hull and the ship suddenly sank. It happened so quickly the men didn’t have a chance to put on life jackets or get into lifeboats. They found themselves floating in the ocean without even any debris which they could grab onto to keep themselves afloat.

The one who couldn’t swim sank right away. The other two began swimming in an effort to reach the safety of land.

Unfortunately they didn’t realize that the nearest land was several hundred miles away. The one who exercized moderately was able to swim for a while but he soon became exhausted and sank. The athlete was able to keep going for a long time and go many miles from the site of the wreck but even he couldn’t make it to land and so he ended up at the bottom of the ocean like the others.

The Bible says,

It is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment.
    Hebrews 9:27 ESV

The fate of these three men shows what will happen to those who are judged on the bases of how well they have lived. The couch potato represents those who make no attempt whatever to live a good life. The one who exercised moderately is like the vast majority of people who make some attempt to live right but don’t consider it the most important thing in life. The athlete stands for those who devote their lives to doing good and hope to earn a place in heaven by the way they live.

And behold, a lawyer stood up to put Jesus to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How do you read it?” And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” And he said to him, “You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live.”
    Luke 10:25-28 ESV

This is the standard which we must meet if we want of earn God’s approval. Some people come closer to it than others do but no one fulfills it completely.

But suppose there was another ship present when the first ship sank. The captain of the second ship saw the men in the water and ordered his crew to throw lifelines to them. Then all they had to do was grab hold of the lines and they would be pulled to safety. In this situation it wouldn’t matter to any of them how well they could swim. In fact they wouldn’t be able to both grab the lifeline and try to swim to safety. They must choose to do one or the other.

God knows that none of us can meet his standards by our own efforts but he loves us and so has made a way for us to fulfill his requirements. He sent his Son, Jesus Christ, into the world to save us from our sins. Jesus lived a perfect life and completely fulfilled God’s requirements. He then allowed himself to be crucified so that he could bear the punishment we deserve.

But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way;and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
    Isaiah 53:5-6 ESV

Anyone who will acknowledge his sins and his inability to meet God’s standard and put his faith in Jesus will have his sins forgiven and will be accepted by God at the final judgment.

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
    Romans 10:9-10 ESV
    Which God are you talking about Buddha never said any of those things.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reaching safety

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Which God are you talking about Buddha never said any of those things.
    Come on, you know what he means (I hope). He made an earnest post, I think he deserves earnest responses.

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

From an Atheist perspective....

The promise of eternal life in happy land is just wishful thinking to begin with, a placebo that keeps you content despite the fact life is not tailor made for our enjoyment and satisfaction. To then say, "guess what, you don't even need to struggle to get it, you just have to do what we tell you," comes across like a sales pitch from a sleazy guy with ulterior motives.

Once you believe in it, certainly its a thing to share. You feel like you got the E ticket and it doesn't matter if you deserve it or not. Since there are plenty of folks with low self esteem who don't feel they deserve eternal serenety, its a winner.

For me, life is its own reward, death is the end of the show for me. What you do, how you act, whether you do good or not, they all matter. They are not guarantees, they do not ensure you eternal anything, but for the limited time you are here, if you so good, generally you will get good back from life. It is as much as I can ask for since there is no one to ask of it, and it is satisfying.

Furthermore the philosophy that you can be an immoral creep, do all kinds of harm, and still find perfect grace by simply accepting a creed only encourages assholes to make my life and the lives of others miserable. i much prefer the Christians who believe that you need to walk the walk as best you can and that such action shows true devotion rather than lip service.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    What you do, how you act, whether you do good or not, they all matter.
    You are absolutely right about this. How you live makes a big difference both for those who are saved and those who are lost. It just isn't the basis for determining which group you are in.

Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. From his presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done.
    (Revelation 20:11-12 ESV)
    This is the final judgment of those who haven't received God's salvation. They will all suffer eternal punishment but the severity of their punishment will be determined by their actions.

According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.
    (1 Corinthians 3:10-15 ESV)
    This is the judgment that Christians will face. Salvation is a free gift but we are saved so we can serve God and we will be rewarded if we serve faithfully. All who are saved will enter Heaven but not all will have the same status there. There is a post in my blog about this subject.

http://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/201...thful-priests/

Furthermore the philosophy that you can be an immoral creep, do all kinds of harm, and still find perfect grace by simply accepting a creed only encourages assholes to make my life and the lives of others miserable.
    No one will find grace simply by accepting a creed. No one can be saved unless he first acknowledges the fact that he is a sinner. There are many people who have made a profession of faith in Christ without taking this step. These people aren't really saved at all.
    The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theophilus
    No one will find grace simply by accepting a creed. No one can be saved unless he first acknowledges the fact that he is a sinner. There are many people who have made a profession of faith in Christ without taking this step. These people aren't really saved at all.
    I thought it would be beneficial to include the scripture that pertains to this principle:

"'Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’'" --Matthew 7:21-23 (ESV)

6. Likes theophilus liked this post