Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NixBix21

why do people believe in a god

there is no proof to support a higher power

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: why do people believe in a god

Compelling argumentation.

But if there is no reason to believe in God.. why do people believe in God?
    To serve man.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    Compelling argumentation.

But if there is no reason to believe in God.. why do people believe in God?
    Because it makes them feel better.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    No it doesn't.

(Man, this debating this is easy when you don't have to provide support for anything! :D )

5. Likes Apokalupsis liked this post
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NixBix21 View Post
    there is no proof to support a higher power
    So you're saying that one should not believe in something if they cannot prove it?

Last night I saw a lady walking two bulldogs. I didn't record this event (didn't take a picture or anything) and yet I believe I actually saw this even though I could never support that I saw it.

Nomad

It's a placebo. Simple as. We are human, we need to rely on something. So it gives us hope, gives us a way of explaining why life works. It's easy to work in facts - so believing in God gives you a reason to support why we exist.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
    No it doesn't.

(Man, this debating this is easy when you don't have to provide support for anything! :D )
    So you are saying believing in God doesn't make people feel better?

Evidence for personal beliefs is personal.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    So you're saying that one should not believe in something if they cannot prove it?

Last night I saw a lady walking two bulldogs. I didn't record this event (didn't take a picture or anything) and yet I believe I actually saw this even though I could never support that I saw it.
    Well seeing is believing.

I have seen people walking dogs. Never seen a God.

Have you seen a God? If so which one?

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

So you are saying believing in God doesn't make people feel better?
    Nope. I'm also not saying that I can't believe you haven't been banned for all the non-explanatory useless blurbs you post from your phone, given that ODN usually has higher expectations for claims and their subsequent support. I'm also not saying that if you're going to claim that the only reason people believe in God is ONLY because the idea makes them feel better, that you should explain how this is the case. I'm also not saying that if you ever bothered to explain yourself in any way with any of the claims you make, then what you say might at least be interesting if not persuasive.

Therefore what I’m saying if I’m saying anything, is welcome back to the Stark Expo!

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Well seeing is believing.

I have seen people walking dogs. Never seen a God.
    And some people claim that they have seen God or felt his presence or had some kind of Godly experience. So they have reason to believe.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    It's a placebo. Simple as. We are human, we need to rely on something. So it gives us hope, gives us a way of explaining why life works. It's easy to work in facts - so believing in God gives you a reason to support why we exist.
    That's one theory. Of course it's no more proven than the theory that people believe in God because God really exists.

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Since the op has no argument in it, this thread is being moved to the Formal Discussion area as per our community rules.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
    Nope. I'm also not saying that I can't believe you haven't been banned for all the non-explanatory useless blurbs you post from your phone, given that ODN usually has higher expectations for claims and their subsequent support. I'm also not saying that if you're going to claim that the only reason people believe in God is ONLY because the idea makes them feel better, that you should explain how this is the case. I'm also not saying that if you ever bothered to explain yourself in any way with any of the claims you make, then what you say might at least be interesting if not persuasive.

Therefore what Iím saying if Iím saying anything, is welcome back to the Stark Expo!

Op just asked why. Since there is no empirical reason, then that leaves emotional reasons.

So people believe because it makes them feel better.

If you have an empirical reason please share.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like
    And some people claim that they have seen God or felt his presence or had some kind of Godly experience. So they have reason to believe.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

That's one theory. Of course it's no more proven than the theory that people believe in God because God really exists.
    Feelings are emotions. We already know people believe for emotional reasons.

I just haven't heard a good reason.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, other than feeling better many believe because they were raised to believe.

As such people raised Muslim tend to be Muslim and so on

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Feelings are emotions. We already know people believe for emotional reasons.
    If you aren't going to address the argument I actually made, please don't address my arguments.

To repeat:

And some people claim that they have seen God or felt his presence (which is not limited to some kind of emotional feeling) or had some kind of Godly experience (which again, is not limited to an emotional feeling). So they have reason to believe.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like
    If you aren't going to address the argument I actually made, please don't address my arguments.

To repeat:

And some people claim that they have seen God or felt his presence (which is not limited to some kind of emotional feeling) or had some kind of Godly experience (which again, is not limited to an emotional feeling). So they have reason to believe.
    I agree.

Schizophrenics have a reason to believe they hear voices. That may be good reason for them, but with out something empirical I have no reason to think their voices aren't just in their head it are real.

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

To repeat:

To piggyback on what Mican said, the issue here is one of experience, and experience is not necessarily comprised exclusively of emotion. This is exactly why people often refer to experience when describing their beliefs in God, and they strive to describe it in non-emotional terms. They find the experience persuasive; it's not just some Rubicon they crossed in some irrational emotional hysteria. To distill the belief down to mere good feelings is unfair, I think.

To be sure, however, I think emotion does play a huge part in religious beliefs. But I don't think that's the ONLY part.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

If this were the case, Bayer aspirin might have some serious competition.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    It's a placebo.
    Now that's an interesting phenomena that remains a mystery to science, though one day, with more research and study, may help us understand the power of belief. There's even placebo surgery
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.Ē --"The Mental UniverseĒ | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Schizophrenics have a reason to believe they hear voices. That may be good reason for them, but with out something empirical I have no reason to think their voices aren't just in their head it are real.
    But that's irrelevant to the OP. It asks about people believing in God, not people convincing non-believers (like you) that there is a God so whether you would accept what they believe is irrelevant. They may have a valid reason to believe what they believe.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like
    But that's irrelevant to the OP. It asks about people believing in God, not people convincing non-believers (like you) that there is a God so whether you would accept what they believe is irrelevant. They may have a valid reason to believe what they believe.
    I agree.

Schizophrenia is a valad reason to believe in all powerful invisible men.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast