Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 85
  1. #1
    NixBix21
    Guest

    why do people believe in a god

    there is no proof to support a higher power

  2. #2
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    9,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why do people believe in a god

    Compelling argumentation.

    But if there is no reason to believe in God.. why do people believe in God?
    To serve man.

  3. #3
    Banned Indefinitely

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    976
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    Compelling argumentation.

    But if there is no reason to believe in God.. why do people believe in God?
    Because it makes them feel better.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

  4. #4
    ODN's Crotchety Old Man

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Location, Location
    Posts
    9,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why do people believe in a god

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Because it makes them feel better.
    No it doesn't.

    (Man, this debating this is easy when you don't have to provide support for anything! :D )

  5. Likes Apokalupsis liked this post
  6. #5
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why do people believe in a god

    Quote Originally Posted by NixBix21 View Post
    there is no proof to support a higher power
    So you're saying that one should not believe in something if they cannot prove it?

    Last night I saw a lady walking two bulldogs. I didn't record this event (didn't take a picture or anything) and yet I believe I actually saw this even though I could never support that I saw it.

  7. #6
    Nomad
    Guest

    Re: why do people believe in a god

    It's a placebo. Simple as. We are human, we need to rely on something. So it gives us hope, gives us a way of explaining why life works. It's easy to work in facts - so believing in God gives you a reason to support why we exist.

  8. #7
    Banned Indefinitely

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    976
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
    No it doesn't.

    (Man, this debating this is easy when you don't have to provide support for anything! :D )
    So you are saying believing in God doesn't make people feel better?

    Evidence for personal beliefs is personal.



    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

  9. #8
    Banned Indefinitely

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    976
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    So you're saying that one should not believe in something if they cannot prove it?

    Last night I saw a lady walking two bulldogs. I didn't record this event (didn't take a picture or anything) and yet I believe I actually saw this even though I could never support that I saw it.
    Well seeing is believing.

    I have seen people walking dogs. Never seen a God.

    Have you seen a God? If so which one?

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

  10. #9
    ODN's Crotchety Old Man

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Location, Location
    Posts
    9,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why do people believe in a god

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    So you are saying believing in God doesn't make people feel better?
    Nope. I'm also not saying that I can't believe you haven't been banned for all the non-explanatory useless blurbs you post from your phone, given that ODN usually has higher expectations for claims and their subsequent support. I'm also not saying that if you're going to claim that the only reason people believe in God is ONLY because the idea makes them feel better, that you should explain how this is the case. I'm also not saying that if you ever bothered to explain yourself in any way with any of the claims you make, then what you say might at least be interesting if not persuasive.

    Therefore what I’m saying if I’m saying anything, is welcome back to the Stark Expo!


  11. #10
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why do people believe in a god

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Well seeing is believing.

    I have seen people walking dogs. Never seen a God.
    And some people claim that they have seen God or felt his presence or had some kind of Godly experience. So they have reason to believe.

    ---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    It's a placebo. Simple as. We are human, we need to rely on something. So it gives us hope, gives us a way of explaining why life works. It's easy to work in facts - so believing in God gives you a reason to support why we exist.
    That's one theory. Of course it's no more proven than the theory that people believe in God because God really exists.

  12. #11
    Owner / Senior Admin

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    19,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why do people believe in a god

    Since the op has no argument in it, this thread is being moved to the Formal Discussion area as per our community rules.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson




  13. #12
    Banned Indefinitely

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    976
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
    Nope. I'm also not saying that I can't believe you haven't been banned for all the non-explanatory useless blurbs you post from your phone, given that ODN usually has higher expectations for claims and their subsequent support. I'm also not saying that if you're going to claim that the only reason people believe in God is ONLY because the idea makes them feel better, that you should explain how this is the case. I'm also not saying that if you ever bothered to explain yourself in any way with any of the claims you make, then what you say might at least be interesting if not persuasive.

    Therefore what Iím saying if Iím saying anything, is welcome back to the Stark Expo!

    Op just asked why. Since there is no empirical reason, then that leaves emotional reasons.

    So people believe because it makes them feel better.

    If you have an empirical reason please share.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

  14. #13
    Banned Indefinitely

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    976
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    And some people claim that they have seen God or felt his presence or had some kind of Godly experience. So they have reason to believe.

    ---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------



    That's one theory. Of course it's no more proven than the theory that people believe in God because God really exists.
    Feelings are emotions. We already know people believe for emotional reasons.

    I just haven't heard a good reason.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

  15. #14
    Banned Indefinitely

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    976
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, other than feeling better many believe because they were raised to believe.

    As such people raised Muslim tend to be Muslim and so on

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

  16. #15
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why do people believe in a god

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Feelings are emotions. We already know people believe for emotional reasons.
    If you aren't going to address the argument I actually made, please don't address my arguments.

    To repeat:

    And some people claim that they have seen God or felt his presence (which is not limited to some kind of emotional feeling) or had some kind of Godly experience (which again, is not limited to an emotional feeling). So they have reason to believe.

  17. #16
    Banned Indefinitely

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    976
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    If you aren't going to address the argument I actually made, please don't address my arguments.

    To repeat:

    And some people claim that they have seen God or felt his presence (which is not limited to some kind of emotional feeling) or had some kind of Godly experience (which again, is not limited to an emotional feeling). So they have reason to believe.
    I agree.

    Schizophrenics have a reason to believe they hear voices. That may be good reason for them, but with out something empirical I have no reason to think their voices aren't just in their head it are real.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

  18. #17
    ODN's Crotchety Old Man

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Location, Location
    Posts
    9,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why do people believe in a god

    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    If you aren't going to address the argument I actually made, please don't address my arguments.

    To repeat:

    And some people claim that they have seen God or felt his presence (which is not limited to some kind of emotional feeling) or had some kind of Godly experience (which again, is not limited to an emotional feeling). So they have reason to believe.
    To piggyback on what Mican said, the issue here is one of experience, and experience is not necessarily comprised exclusively of emotion. This is exactly why people often refer to experience when describing their beliefs in God, and they strive to describe it in non-emotional terms. They find the experience persuasive; it's not just some Rubicon they crossed in some irrational emotional hysteria. To distill the belief down to mere good feelings is unfair, I think.

    To be sure, however, I think emotion does play a huge part in religious beliefs. But I don't think that's the ONLY part.

  19. #18
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West / East Coast
    Posts
    3,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why do people believe in a god

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Because it makes them feel better.
    If this were the case, Bayer aspirin might have some serious competition.

    ---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    It's a placebo.
    Now that's an interesting phenomena that remains a mystery to science, though one day, with more research and study, may help us understand the power of belief. There's even placebo surgery
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.Ē --"The Mental UniverseĒ | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

  20. #19
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    10,659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: why do people believe in a god

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Schizophrenics have a reason to believe they hear voices. That may be good reason for them, but with out something empirical I have no reason to think their voices aren't just in their head it are real.
    But that's irrelevant to the OP. It asks about people believing in God, not people convincing non-believers (like you) that there is a God so whether you would accept what they believe is irrelevant. They may have a valid reason to believe what they believe.

  21. #20
    Banned Indefinitely

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    976
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    But that's irrelevant to the OP. It asks about people believing in God, not people convincing non-believers (like you) that there is a God so whether you would accept what they believe is irrelevant. They may have a valid reason to believe what they believe.
    I agree.

    Schizophrenia is a valad reason to believe in all powerful invisible men.

 

 
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 83
    Last Post: September 16th, 2011, 08:01 AM
  2. Forward this on to 5 people or god will.....
    By wanxtrmBANNED in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: June 5th, 2007, 09:53 PM
  3. When people stop believing in God.......
    By disinterested in forum Religion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: May 15th, 2006, 08:35 AM
  4. Why People Believe in God
    By Xanadu Moo in forum Religion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: June 17th, 2005, 05:43 PM
  5. Acceptable for God, not for people?
    By Fyshhed in forum Religion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: March 8th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •