Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Someguy and Friend

This is a record of a conversation I had with a friend:

ME: So, are you watching the debate tonight?
    FRIEND: Nah. I decided who I was voting for 4 years ago; anyone but Obama.
    ME: There is nothing that could change your mind? What if Obama has an awesome debate? What if Romney says something incredibly stupid?
    FRIEND: Bro, Romney could come out and say he was Waffen SS and I would still vote for him.
    ME: LOL, wait...arent you Jewish?
    FRIEND: Exactly my point.
    I will no longer be replying to any post from a Liberal going forward. I will continue, as normal, to discuss topics and engage in intellectual exchanges with non-leftist

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Someguy and Friend

Obama would have to do something pretty radical for me to not vote for him. Either something that violates my ideals of justice or something that shows he has simply lost his sanity. At that point I'd vote for Romney, or more likely for the Libertarian candidate.

I didn't vote for Clinton first time around, didn't like him much on a personal level, though I think he turned out to be a very solid president and I voted for him second term. I think I went third party on Bush v Kerry? By bush Jr's second term I was well in the any democrat camp and voted Gore despite a lack of enthusiasm for him.

Obama I really like. He's the only candidate I've caucused and volunteered for. I'm pretty much committed but I can still be critical and disappointing when he screws up in some way.

Romney is not that bad, way better by my money than Bush Jr I think. I just don't like the company he keeps as it were. The Romney that was governor was generally a good guy, the one that ran in the primary not so much. I certainly don't "fear for america" if he wins. He will do things I dislike but I trust him to keep a pretty even keel even if he veers off the course I prefer. Still, because he has thrown in with the hard core conservative types, I'd rather vote libertarian and support some different and less purely political thinking.

Still, I'd hope hatred of Obama isn't truly equal to Nazi's and what not. That would be pretty sad.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post

Still, I'd hope hatred of Obama isn't truly equal to Nazi's and what not. That would be pretty sad.
    I think he was being funny. =] I would be a bit bothered if he was serious. LOL
    I will no longer be replying to any post from a Liberal going forward. I will continue, as normal, to discuss topics and engage in intellectual exchanges with non-leftist

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty convinced that most people know if they are voting for someone (or at least not voting for someone) from the moment they see, hear and/or learn the party affiliation of that candidate. It's much more of an emotional or gut decision for a lot of people, especially women (let the sexism charges begin). As someone with a usually logical mind (not a claim of special intelligence, but rather a method of thinking), I've had to slowly realize this. It's why campaign slogans like "Hope" and "Change" can be so tremendously effective, even if a candidate is broadly recognized as short on experience or specific policy proposals.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. I think that most people choose candidates by asking, "which of these two would do something most like what I think needs to be done". Of if you don't have an opinion what needs to be done, "which of these candidates is most like me."

There are other reasons of course. Some voters are single issue voters and will vote that issue above all else. Some just like to stir up "trouble" (I am guilty of that voting sometimes) aka I'll vote for a candidate just to encourage them or to spite those I know will win or a ballot initiative to "see what happens." But ya, its pretty gut level for many and never underestimate sheep like mentality of voting for what you think others are voting for. That is a powerful human motivation though I think the attention focused on national elections softens it somewhat and forces folks to have a more concerted opinion.
    Feed me some debate pellets!