Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Poll: Have people really changed throughout history?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    aetion

Re: Have people really changed?

The human race has not changed its behavioral tendencies throughout time, only the situations and powers that can be presented to us have changed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aetion View Post
    The human race has not changed its behavioral tendencies throughout time,
    I disagree. Through the ages we have discovered new ways of thinking which have led to new ways of behaving/living. This is clearly evident in the progression of philosophy. For example, we are less racist now then we used to be. We used to have a behavioral tendency to kill those of a different tribe, but now we don't (or at least most of us don't).

Some of our tendencies are still the same, we still eat food, but your statement is to broad to be held as true. To state that all humans have not changed any behavioral tendencies throughout all time is false. Some humans behavioral tendencies have changed more than others, however some behavioral tendencies have remained the same.
    abc

Andy

People has change,the became smarter and less evil.There are much more wars back in the days,more people fighting for more power.These days,small civil war do happen but not as big as it use to be.People these days live more happily and has less greed for power.

memwah

I believe that humans have changed in every physical and mental ways, more mental. People today feel superiority and disregard humility.

Haydn

I agree that people have not changed throughout history, they have simply learned to disguise their opinions, methods and beliefs as socially acceptable in the modern world with new circumstances to adapt to. The world is changing, not the beings that live on it.

ShreedeepGawde

humans have not chanced nor have their attitudes towards life. WE are more focused on criticizing history rather than learning from it.

BKnov212

People haven't changed. Ever since the beginning of mankind, we were constantly in search of ways to advance. Only difference is our advancements are more personal. e.g. human cloning, and baby modifications.
    Whereas back then, it was how to fly or ways to catch food. e.g spears, to swords, to guns.

I don't think people have changed. I feel like our needs of basic things have somewhat been met so now, we ''spoil '' ourselves with wants which will sadly be the death of us because this generation is so technology dependent.

shady shylock

I disagree. When studying the peoples of the past, particularly the remote past one cannot begin to describe the vast differences in conditions, cultures and of course individual characteristics themselves. As Leslie Pole aptly stated “The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.” Quite different indeed.

Understanding the motivations of say, a 2nd century Roman is easier said than done at best and in my experience most of the perspectives found in earlier times are foreign and alien to the modern mind. For instance for that aforementioned Roman, the worst crime, a true taboo, was not murder or rape as we would hold. Even genocide was permissible in certain circumstances to them. The worst crime, the unmentionable act was hoarding grain. That was one of the few crimes that guaranteed death. No one today would guess that. This only becomes apparent after studying their world and realizing how much has changed.

megaman

This debate needs to clearly define the word "change". Does change mean a completely different human, in a physical and mental fashion? If so, I would argue that people have changed. Human communication, coupled with the rapid development of technology, has allowed civilization to advance in such a way that humans have a longer life, greater physical capacity (due to technology and training techniques), and a new mindset about their life.

10,000 years ago, humans were concerned with their survival and their clans' survival, following the principle of "survival for the fittest". Now, the the development of religious institutions has allowed humans to reach a new spiritual state, giving them new ways to think about life, and their relationship with society. Humans now understand what it is to be kind to others or to be righteous (in both a religious and moral context). People are also living longer, with modern extensive medical care, and with advanced technology, humans have the opportunity to pursue hobbies and interests, and indulge in charitable acts, compared with humans long ago,that did not have the advanced technology and civilization to do these actions.

I definitely agree that society has a transient nature, but by definition, society involves the individual in such a way that he or she is affected as well.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by megaman View Post
    This debate needs to clearly define the word "change". Does change mean a completely different human, in a physical and mental fashion? If so, I would argue that people have changed.
    The problem is your argument, which follows this conclusion, does not support it, as I hope to point out as I go...

Quote Originally Posted by megaman
    Human communication, coupled with the rapid development of technology, has allowed civilization to advance in such a way that humans have a longer life, greater physical capacity (due to technology and training techniques), and a new mindset about their life.
    It's true that humans live longer now than they used to, but extending life, per se, doesn't actually support the idea of a "completely different human". And one could easily argue human physical capacity has degenerated over the millennia, rather than increased, unless you're going to conceptually double dip "technology", and use it as an extension of human physicality. As for the new mindset, you seem to explain that in the following, so I'll take it up there:

10,000 years ago, humans were concerned with their survival and their clans' survival, following the principle of "survival for the fittest".
    As surely they continue to be today, only today we don't call them "clans" anymore, and the societal groupings, given there are now well over six billion of us on the planet, are substantially larger.

Now, the the development of religious institutions has allowed humans to reach a new spiritual state, giving them new ways to think about life, and their relationship with society. Humans now understand what it is to be kind to others or to be righteous (in both a religious and moral context).
    How has any of this fundamentally changed since the Hammurabic code, or the Mosaic Law, both of which, arguably, date to 3,500-4,000 years ago? Or take the Book of Job from the Bible, which is arguably a thousand years older than the Pentateuch, and is a finely grained treatise on morality.

People are also living longer, with modern extensive medical care, and with advanced technology, humans have the opportunity to pursue hobbies and interests, and indulge in charitable acts, compared with humans long ago,that did not have the advanced technology and civilization to do these actions.
    Well now we're back to technology, and I don't see how technology, per se, represents any real change for human beings who by nature have always relied heavily on technology for survival and quality of life. And that's the real hole in your argument: you're confusing the progressive results of what humans do by nature with changes in their nature. After all, you did begin by arguing "if" change were to mean "a completely different human", then you would take the position they had "changed" and argue for it as you have. But clearly taking "change" to mean "a completely different human" would have to entail some sort of essential change, and what you've noted so far aren't essential changes in human beings.

I definitely agree that society has a transient nature, but by definition, society involves the individual in such a way that he or she is affected as well.
    True enough, but I don't see it as salvaging your argument.

nicevirgo

In my humble opinion,human race has entirely changed in terms of all aspects if life.
    1.spiritual
    2.intelluctual
    3.social setup
    4.culture
    5.way of living
    6.political ideologies
    7.science n tech
    each and every aspect of human life has undergone transformation.societies n circumstances are entirely different which led people change.nowadays religion is becoming important debate in the world.so evolution is evident in every shape.yes if we talk of emotional makeup of human it is same for 1st man on earth to the last one .

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nicevirgo View Post
    In my humble opinion,human race has entirely changed in terms of all aspects if life.
    1.spiritual
    2.intelluctual
    3.social setup
    4.culture
    5.way of living
    6.political ideologies
    7.science n tech
    each and every aspect of human life has undergone transformation.societies n circumstances are entirely different which led people change.nowadays religion is becoming important debate in the world.so evolution is evident in every shape.yes if we talk of emotional makeup of human it is same for 1st man on earth to the last one .
    This is one of ODN's several "debate" forums (as opposed to those dedicated to conversation or discussion), and in debate controversial opinions not supported by some argument for their truth don't count. Since this debate has two distinct sides (see poll question and choices), someone taking the position people haven't really changed would see your 1-7 as controversial when you use them as support for the affirmative position, as you have. Therefore, you have an obligation to give some kind of supporting argument for each of your 1-7 actually being examples of people changing.

Post Thanks / Like

People have not changed. We are the same today as ever.

All those examples given as to how we have changed throughout this thread....are all related to technology, and discovery. Man has been inventing, discovering and changing his environment since he first learned to use, then make fire. So technology advancing is no argument for people changing.

How has the human condition changed?
    "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born" -- Ronald Reagan

How can a moral wrong be a Civil Right?

Devilscharm

Our environment has changed over time, civilization has become more advanced, technology has made tremendous leaps forward, especially in the past century but we as human being have not evolved to such an extent that we can really consider ourselves 'changed'. We're still a sex crazed, socially craving, violence loving greedy narcissists and will be for quite a while. I understand this is quite a generalization but if you look back on history it's hard to see much else. We are merely fresh pages being encoded be our ever changing environment, the stories might be a little different (debatable) but we're of the same paper as humanity was a thousand, two thousand or five thousand years ago. As you get further back we become more primitive, but the basic drives that drive us all are still there. We are evolving but we're not really changing, we're just getting a bit better at what we do by shaping our environment to enhance ourselves.

Lev Marcus

I agree that people haven't changed, in that if the people alive today had been born five hundred years ago they would grown up to act pretty much as people did then. But on a larger timescale, people have obviously changed from 1 million years ago, when human biology was significantly different, and 10 million years ago, when we were indistinguishable from other apes. This brings up the question of how long it takes for a species-wide, measurable change in a trait -- say, intelligence -- to occur. while I'm sure we are equal to the humans of 500 years ago, I'd be prepared to believe that we could slightly outpace the humans from 10,000 or 20,000 BC.

Post Thanks / Like

people has changed with the technology.
    now the has better lifestyle and living than before.

Post Thanks / Like

We are intelligent apes in suits with more and more dangerous technology. We seldom follow a
    our consciences which are over ridden by selfish amibition.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Yes and no.

Yes: For instance, Americans have become fat, lazy and uneducated about the consequences of their actions on the fate of their nation.

No: Human nature is human nature. That's why Sun-Tzu still works 2,000 years later.

Post Thanks / Like

My response to this question is yes, over the course of history people have changed; only to an extent. Regarding the argument that our fellow member Kodiak has stated, the industrial revolution may just as well have been the pinnacle of true human revolution in America, if you want to argue in the economic aspect. If it weren't for elite individuals such as Andrew Carnegie, John Rockefeller,or Cornelius Vanderbilt, America (considering that this argument only pertains inside our borders) would not have been as successful and economically rambunctious. If it weren't for such folks challenging and changing the economic and essentially political perspectives that America had become complacent with for so long who knows how deep into the stone age we would be.. or how intellectually and economically evolved we would've been.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    Is it change when the human norm in the ancient world, sanctioned by the leadership of a tribe, supported raping and sacrificing their children to some god, versus 2000 years later where most people have changed their thinking and find that raping and sacrificing their children to some god is repulsive?
    I think this pretty much proves that humans have not changed. We, in America, live in a society with one of the highest murder rates in the world, where many result from gang activity (you know tribal), and the same happens in the countries with the highest murder rates - where gangs have taken over as governments have collapsed. In Ancient times, that is precisely when you see human sacrifice, where it remained rare when Empires were strong. his would include the Aztec's, you did practice human sacrifice, and, as it was falling apart, went into overdrive. Interestingly enough, all the POST AD religions scored eye4magic, all ban human sacrifice explicitly. Murder still happens though ... oddly.

As for slavery, its still being practiced in parts of the world, and human trafficking regularly traffics both men and women who are kept in bondage to feed a growing sexual demand. Slavery has not been vanquished, and lust was a much a problem BC as it is AD. Humanity has little changed.
    Most people say that it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.

Albert Einstein

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast