Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

chasethedawn

Dumber, Dumberer, or Ignorant - Take Your Pick

When you think of a day care, what images pop into your head? Do you see animated little children playing with lettered blocks, mini locomotives, finger paint, and puzzles while frolicking around a brightly-painted room? Do you imagine all the butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and fluffy stuff? What is that's not the whole story? What if, beneath the surface, something darker looms and waits to prey upon the ignorant? What if there was someone infiltrating American education to purposely create the next Hitler or Stalin or Marx?
    Parents work and leave their children to people they’ve met all of a few times at PTA meetings, etc. Some parents have never met the school’s staff at all? Public education in America has fallen to its lowest heights. You might say that SAT scores and college acceptance rates have gone up, but in comparison to what exactly?
    Take a simple third grade level test from the 1800s. I bet you’d fail – most people would. What does that say about society as a whole today? You’ve heard of the show “Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?” right? Some people can’t even modern fifth grade level questions right! Sure, make the excuse that you haven’t reviewed in a while. If you really know your stuff, it should be near impossible to forget.
    What happened? Someone must be doing something if education has gone this far down the drain. They are out there. They will pounce – whether you like it – or whether you know it. America is letting this happen. They are dumbing us down to destroy us all. For all we know, people in the highest positions in America’s government could be tearing down everything the nation stands right under our noses. And it all starts from day care.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dumber, Dumberer, or Ignorant - Take Your Pick

i agree with you and how america's education had become so corrupted. there should be a stop to this kind of education- or is it even an education, maybe we should call it brainwashing or degrading?

aaabbb

Yes!! Foundation and basic are the most important steps for everything!

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chasethedawn View Post
    And it all starts from day care.
    Perhaps you're not familiar with Montessori Day Care:

Playing to Learn, Learning to Play!
    After years of expression mainly in pre-schools, Montessori philosophy is finally being used as originally intended, as a method of seeing children as they really are and of creating environments which foster the fulfillment of their highest potential - spiritual, emotional, physical, and intellectual - as members of a family, the world community and the Cosmos.

Dr. Montessori gave the world a scientific method, practical and tested, for bringing forth the very best in young human beings. She taught adults how to respect individual differences, and to emphasize social interaction and the education of the whole personality rather than the teaching of a specific body of knowledge.
    http://www.montessoridaycare.com/
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chasethedawn View Post
    When you think of a day care, what images pop into your head? Do you see animated little children playing with lettered blocks, mini locomotives, finger paint, and puzzles while frolicking around a brightly-painted room? Do you imagine all the butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and fluffy stuff?
    Mostly that, since that is mostly what I had in day care, and was in day cares I've known through other circumstances. I also remember one where they would whip kids with hot wheels race tracks when they were noisy at nap time or throw toys at them. Not so fluffy that one.

What is that's not the whole story? What if, beneath the surface, something darker looms and waits to prey upon the ignorant? What if there was someone infiltrating American education to purposely create the next Hitler or Stalin or Marx?
    And that is a load of unsupported nonsense. Who the hell would want to create Hitler or Stalin or Marx and why? And how would they do that exactly? And what support do you have that such things are happening?

Parents work and leave their children to people they’ve met all of a few times at PTA meetings, etc. Some parents have never met the school’s staff at all? Public education in America has fallen to its lowest heights. You might say that SAT scores and college acceptance rates have gone up, but in comparison to what exactly?
    Day care and public schools are not generally one in the same so far as I'm aware. Day care is for under school age kids or kids between school and work hours of their parents. If you want to say schools are at their lowest heights, you should support that with actual evidence of some kind.

Take a simple third grade level test from the 1800s. I bet you’d fail – most people would.
    Do you have such a test we could take?

You’ve heard of the show “Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?” right? Some people can’t even modern fifth grade level questions right! Sure, make the excuse that you haven’t reviewed in a while. If you really know your stuff, it should be near impossible to forget.
    In fact many people can't. But this is contrary to your point. The questions on that show are taken from contemporary coruse work and exams in 1st through 5th grade classes. Which means those questions are what are being taught to children today. If contemporary adults can't answer them then either educational standards have improved since their time in school, or they have merely forgotten their lessons. Either way it is not supporting your claim.

What happened? Someone must be doing something if education has gone this far down the drain. They are out there. They will pounce – whether you like it – or whether you know it. America is letting this happen. They are dumbing us down to destroy us all. For all we know, people in the highest positions in America’s government could be tearing down everything the nation stands right under our noses. And it all starts from day care.
    Well, if the acumen you display in this debate is any indication, we aren't teaching enough critical thinking skills wherever it is you went to school. Sorry to be snide but you honestly don't make much of a case and since you offer no outside support I don't find your assertions at all compelling.

I'm a product of public schooling of the 1970s and 1980's. I am not a communist or fascist and I am deemed by most to be well educated and smart. How about you. Did you attend public schools? Did you think you were indoctrinated into communism or made stupid?
    Feed me some debate pellets!