Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Human's Symbol

Jackmldog

Human's Symbol

Let's say hypothetically we came under attack by some other life form. What would our symbol be for the human race as a whole?

2. Likes AuspiciousFist liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Human's Symbol

I'd go for something like Leonardo da Vinci's Vitruvian Man but maybe make it gender neutral or add a female version. But then, we'd have to know what the alien looked like too: if they were humanoid too, I guess it wouldn't work, in which case, I'd just have a picture of the Earth with the Moon.

Jackmldog
    I mean symbol, such as what many militaries use. Not a drawing which was meant for more of geometric purposes.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

I'm unclear of what you are looking for, do you mean on a tactical map or on a flag, what?
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Jackmldog
    I mean on a flag or anything that would represent the human race as compared to a different intelligence.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmldog View Post
    I mean on a flag or anything that would represent the human race as compared to a different intelligence.
    Ok, then I would go with SharmaK's suggestion, DaVinci's Vitruvian Man was used on Voyager to represent humanity for example.
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I would also agree with Sharmak, Leonardo's vitruvian man could eaisly be turned into a symbol and would be a good representation of humanity.

The arms and legs of a man form a square and a circle: the square symbolizes the solid physical world and the circle the spiritual and eternal. Man bridges the gap between these two worlds. "-Leonardo Da Vinci," The Magical Proportions of Man "

Leonardo Da Vinci Vitruvian Man (Da Vinci Man with four arms and four legs in a square and circle) is the most popular secular symbol in the world. My ten years of research suggests that the Vitruvian Man is a universal symbol for greater love, relationships, success, health and the new paradigm of the 21st century the age of the indivisible integrity, the paradigm of peace in the world . The New Renaissance!

The Da Vinci Man is a universal translator between scientific models (represented by the Da Vinci Man in the square) and religious symbols (represented by the Da Vinci Man in the circle). Therefore, the Vitruvian Man (Da Vinci Man) is a bridge between science and religion. There are striking similarities between the sacred geometry of the Da Vinci Man, Yin-Yang, Star of David, Tree of Life, Christian Cross and LA.

Source
    Last edited by eye4magic; July 19th, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
    Close your eyes. Fall in love. Stay there.
    Rumi

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator
    ODN Rules

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Sharmak's suggestion is a good one IMO.

I just created a couple symbols using the Vitruvian Man in Photoshop...it could work:

Name:  human_orb_resize.png
Views: 4365
Size:  61.3 KB

and

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	human_flag_resize.png 
Views:	160 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	3205

*note* I didn't create the rendition of the Vitruvian Man itself, I just edited it and turned it into a modern orb and flag.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Jackmldog
    Although that is a perfect representation of man, let's come up with something new and totally awesome. To be honest I really want something that could go on my body (tattoo).

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Although that is a perfect representation of man, let's come up with something new and totally awesome. To be honest I really want something that could go on my body (tattoo).
    So this won't work for you?

Or how about a tattoo of this one, one of my personal favorite drawings by Michael Angelo?

Are you planning any interstellar travel any time soon?
    Close your eyes. Fall in love. Stay there.
    Rumi

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator
    ODN Rules

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

A bit middle finger!

(OK so its not a universal gesture but its the first thing I thought of as a message to the alien menace.)
    Feed me some debate pellets!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Vitruvian Man is Eurocentric and sexist. People kind benefits from and is strengthened by our diversity of cultures, creeds, gender identities, and peoplestories and we should not exclude anyone in favor of a singular Eurocentric symbol.

I think we should make a collage of all flags and symbols in a glorious celebration of our multicultural unity.

Like this:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2190048973_53805a4e41.jpg 
Views:	972 
Size:	271.3 KB 
ID:	3206
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

14. Likes Squatch347 liked this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Troll face.

Name:	3533792.jpg 
Views:	1145 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	3207

Aliens invade and they get welcomed by the face of giggling misery incarnate. It lets them know immediately "I like to have a good time. Hence my smile. And I like to have aforementioned pleasant experiences at your expense. Hence the mischevious nature of previously described oral posture. Problem?"
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

16. Likes Soren liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

cool topic.

I agree with chad even though I don't think he's being serious.

I think we need to figure out what it means to be human- I think most of us would agree that it is something beyond our physical bodies. Something about our ability to create or think abstractly or spiritually or something. I don't what it would be though..definitely we would need a committee of artists and designers, in the vaguest sense, from across all cultures.

Maybe something like a hand with a tool and a hand with a branch together over a multi-colored background

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AuspiciousFist View Post
    cool topic.

I agree with chad even though I don't think he's being serious.

I think we need to figure out what it means to be human- I think most of us would agree that it is something beyond our physical bodies. Something about our ability to create or think abstractly or spiritually or something. I don't what it would be though..definitely we would need a committee of artists and designers, in the vaguest sense, from across all cultures.

Maybe something like a hand with a tool and a hand with a branch together over a multi-colored background
    I find it kind of sad that someone would seriously agree with my post.
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

19. Likes Squatch347 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chadn737 View Post
    I find it kind of sad that someone would seriously agree with my post.
    1) Why is it sad?

2) Do you disagree that, "People kind benefits from and is strengthened by our diversity of cultures, creeds, gender identities, and peoplestories and we should not exclude anyone in favor of a singular Eurocentric symbol."?

3) do you think this woman:

this woman:

this man:

this man:

this man:

(etc etc)

would feel equally represented by that symbol? Even if you disregarded their reputations?

4) If our symbol is gonna be a human he/she should probably look African as that is the world's common ancestor.

5) Do you disagree with this: I think we need to figure out what it means to be human- I think most of us would agree that it is something beyond our physical bodies. Something about our ability to create or think abstractly or spiritually or something. I don't what it would be though..definitely we would need a committee of artists and designers, in the vaguest sense, from across all cultures.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe something like a hand with a tool and a hand with a branch together over a multi-colored background[/i]
    Like this?

Name:	3731954143_dd44b90b7e_o.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	3211

Or what about something universally nuetral like this:

Name:	HalfLifeBlackSS.png 
Views:	12166 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	3212

Personally, I think Troll Guy fits best for humanity, but personally, the most badass flag humanity could ever have would be this:

Name:	Freddie-Mercury-****-punch.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	3213

Granted, there's a gay things going on in that picture, but the gayness culminates in the most badass picture ever drawn.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

1) Why is it sad?

2) Do you disagree that, "People kind benefits from and is strengthened by our diversity of cultures, creeds, gender identities, and peoplestories and we should not exclude anyone in favor of a singular Eurocentric symbol."?

3) do you think this woman
    (etc etc)

would feel equally represented by that symbol? Even if you disregarded their reputations?

4) If our symbol is gonna be a human he/she should probably look African as that is the world's common ancestor.

5) Do you disagree with this: I think we need to figure out what it means to be human- I think most of us would agree that it is something beyond our physical bodies. Something about our ability to create or think abstractly or spiritually or something. I don't what it would be though..definitely we would need a committee of artists and designers, in the vaguest sense, from across all cultures.

I do disagree that we are strengthened by diversity. I think that such statements are in themselves meaningless gibberish and are a Trojan horse for the suppression of divergent thoughts.

First off what is diversity? Those who typically preach the wonders of diversity rarely extend it to true intellectual diversity, but restrict it to superficial characteristics like skin color, music, dress, etc. The shallowness of "diversity" is evident in your fourth point where you for some reason feel the need to emphasize skin color over any other characteristic represented in an image of a human.

Secondly how does diversity strengthen us? Does having an equal representation of every skin color or sex strengthen us if everyone of those people think exactly alike? Even if the diversity advocates were actually willing to extend diversity beyond their superficial measures to include diversity of thought, would we be strengthened by the diversity added by Racists, Nazis, Eugenicists, Sexists? If at war with an alien race are we strengthened by an Army of the handicapped or mentally retarded? Are we strengthened by an alien-sympathizing General who believes it is good for the human race to be annihilated or enslaved? Alexander the Great led an army almost entirely made up of Greeks, having a shared culture. He fought against a much larger Persian Army that included soldiers from across much the known world, each with their own culture. Were the Persians strengthened by their diversity? Where the Greeks somehow weakened by their lack of it? This idea that we are strengthened by diversity is hogwash. A lot of diversity is superficial nonsense that adds no value. A lot of diversity is even harmful, as bad ideas and harmful cultural baggage actually holds one back. The Afghan people are kept locked up in a mentality that hasn't changed since the 600 AD. They live in barbarism. How is the World strengthened by a culture that stones little girls for learning to read?

And heres a cold hard fact. You will never find a symbol that resonates with every human. I also disagree with a committee approach, especially to anything artistic.

23. Likes Squatch347 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chadn737 View Post
    I do disagree that we are strengthened by diversity. I think that such statements are in themselves meaningless gibberish and are a Trojan horse for the suppression of divergent thoughts.
    how does diversity lead to suppression of thought? What is the nature of the thoughts are being suppressed? I find this to be a contradictory statement.

Quote Originally Posted by chad
    First off what is diversity? Those who typically preach the wonders of diversity rarely extend it to true intellectual diversity, but restrict it to superficial characteristics like skin color, music, dress, etc.
    diversity is simply "variation of culture", which you seem to think is "superficial" but most would rate is as being crucially important. I'm sure you value your own culture very highly- Conservatives are known for that.

The shallowness of "diversity" is evident in your fourth point where you for some reason feel the need to emphasize skin color over any other characteristic represented in an image of a human.
    Look closer. I specifically chose people of recognizably different races, genders, religions and political persuasions (the woman in front of the flag is the Republican Governor of South Carolina). The charge of "shallowness" is better leveled at yourself.

Secondly how does diversity strengthen us? Does having an equal representation of every skin color or sex strengthen us if everyone of those people think exactly alike?
    If everyone thought alike it would not be sufficiently diverse.

Even if the diversity advocates were actually willing to extend diversity beyond their superficial measures to include diversity of thought, would we be strengthened by the diversity added by Racists, Nazis, Eugenicists, Sexists?
    Seeing as these groups are all distincty opposed to diversity, I see no reason why they would need to be included. They would oppose a global alliance anyways.

If at war with an alien race are we strengthened by an Army of the handicapped or mentally retarded?

There is no reason that a diverse coalition would have to put people on the front line who are incapable of handling it. However, it would also not bar anyone from willingly joining under its protection. You are focused too much on the military. A human alliance would necessarily unite cultures under a common cause as well. The symbol would be for everyone to rally under, not just the guys with guns.

Are we strengthened by an alien-sympathizing General who believes it is good for the human race to be annihilated or enslaved?
    Why would an alien sympathizer join the anti-alien army, much less make it to the rank of General?

Alexander the Great led an army almost entirely made up of Greeks, having a shared culture. He fought against a much larger Persian Army that included soldiers from across much the known world, each with their own culture. Were the Persians strengthened by their diversity? Where the Greeks somehow weakened by their lack of it? This idea that we are strengthened by diversity is hogwash. A lot of diversity is superficial nonsense that adds no value. A lot of diversity is even harmful, as bad ideas and harmful cultural baggage actually holds one back.
    The idea of the thought experiment is that humanity would not be able to win unless its military was united. Is your position that it would be best if every nation just looked after itself? That it would be ok to let the civilians of 3rd world countries, or ones not lucky enough to be advatageous to defend get anhiliated? That
    The Afghan people are kept locked up in a mentality that hasn't changed since the 600 AD. They live in barbarism. How is the World strengthened by a culture that stones little girls for learning to read?
    I would hope that someone in the military would know that the Afghan culture is not limited to just the Taliban.

the better question is "how can the world help the Afghans?" It seems to me that their situation is "barbaric" due to those with power denying diversity. Advocating diversity means that you necessarily oppose those who are hostile to it, not that you have to give them equal power. They would not accept that power even if it was offered, as they do not accept that their is an inherent value to humanity, regardless of culture. Let the Taliban fight on their own and die, and let the Afghan civilians be protected under the human alliance if they wish to be. That does not mean, however, that the Afghan culture- their music, their clothes, their symbols, their religions- would be required to submit to a cultural colonization from the West (or whoever holds most of the military power).

And heres a cold hard fact. You will never find a symbol that resonates with every human. I also disagree with a committee approach, especially to anything artistic.
    well you certainly will not be able to if you deny diverse input. Nor would you if you insist on such blatantly Western-centric symbolism as proposed in the beginning of the thread. At least my approach aspires to something, rather than arrogantly declaring "my way or the highway."

Final thought: It seems to be that you are hostile to the idea of diversity because you perceive it as hostile to you. It seems that you feel that a human alliance that values diversity would impose itself on everyone, regardless of their own wishes. A coalition of this nature would be incapabable of accomodating power-holders opposed to its ideals, but it would not abandon anyone who accepted the help it offerred, nor would it require them to prostrate themselves before them like some kind of tyrant. Your position seems to indicate that you reject the idea of a human alliance being capable across cultures (which puts you in interesting company). You should have said this- but I can see why you didn't, since it would be blatantly off-topic- rather than just smuggling it in with sarcasm.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing as these groups are all distincty opposed to diversity, I see no reason why they would need to be included. They would oppose a global alliance anyways.
    So wait...diversity only counts amongst those who have a homogeneous opinion?

Does diversity make, say, a basketball team stronger? Are basketball teams better if they include a wide array of sexes, disabilities and ages?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast