Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Bodybuilding Support

As many around here know, I am a pretty serious bodybuilder. I have dedicated a pretty significant portion of my life to its pursuit. no matter your personal bodybuilding goals, I can offer good advice on achieving said goals. The three most common types of bodybuilding are:

1 ) Fitness orientated
    2 ) Strength orientated
    3 ) Size orientated

I hold a pretty significant degree of understanding of all of the paths, in particular strength and size.

I can help you with creating workout plans, finding good energy, supplementation (I will only discuss legal options here), finding motivation and so on.

I reserve the right to dedicate my time to those who seem to be the most dedicated to task and to cease efforts on anyone who I feel is wasting my time.
    I will no longer be replying to any post from a Liberal going forward. I will continue, as normal, to discuss topics and engage in intellectual exchanges with non-leftist

Senior Mod

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bodybuilding Support

Cool offer.

Do you have any experience with the body-weight or minimalist-oriented programs, like CrossFit and P90X or Insanity? My wife and I did P90X for about a month consistently and then for another 6 weeks inconsistently before our wedding, and it worked fantastically to help us get in good shape for the big day. The biggest problem for us was the time commitment. Each workout was like an hour, so by the time you've gotten in your gym clothes, worked out, recovered, showered, and prepared the meals for the nutrition plan for the day, you've burned like 2 to 2.5 hours. I've been trying to find time to start doing it again ever since because I know it works, but the time commitment seems to be the big hurdle, especially with the wife commuting 100+ miles twice a week and only home 3.5 days a week (she won't work out if I'm not there to do it with her and keep her motivated.)

Barring that... what's the best thing I can do to achieve maximal fitness results with the lowest amount of daily time commitment? Primary requirements are flexibility (can be different times of the day, doesn't hurt to skip a day if I'm on for 24, or can do it at the hospital... that kind of thing) and effect. I will work as hard as I have to while I'm working out, as long as I don't have to devote inordinate amounts of non workout time to maintenance.
    -=[Talthas]=-
    ODN Senior Moderator

ODN Rules

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard great things about both P90X and Crossfit. I have never used them personally simply because I am a Strength and Size orientated bodybuilder. "Fitness" isn't really something I focus on mainly because I naturally build both my Muscular and Cardiovascular Endurance (Fitness) through my training.

As for time restrictions, believe me, I understand this concern. I work 50 hours a week, am a full time student and father of three, and still have to go to the gym 3 hours a day, 6 days a week. Fortunately for you, the type of training that you are looking to do works out perfectly for someone with time issues (not a luxury I have)

Before I get too deep into things, tell me, what exactly is your goal? What do you want out of your training?
    I will no longer be replying to any post from a Liberal going forward. I will continue, as normal, to discuss topics and engage in intellectual exchanges with non-leftist

Senior Mod

Post Thanks / Like

First, I suppose I should give you some more specific information on my physique and capabilities.

I'm 5'1" and weighed 158 lbs as of yesterday morning. I don't have an accurate body fat percentage measurement recently, but it's safe to say that it's way too freaking high. I've got the shoulders, forearms, and legs of someone who used to train pretty hard in the gym 3 days a week and got bored on the leg press sled before I maxed out. I've got a fairly muscular build lying under a moderate layer of fat, mostly concentrated around my belly. Max muscular weight was 165, and I benched 185 max. Never went for huge strength or size gains... just wanted to look nice and be healthy and reasonably strong.... and then I fell away from it. Got back into fitness a couple of times and made some good progress with self-guided bodyweight stuff. Got in high gear for the wedding 3 years ago, haven't really been able to get back there since. Best I ever looked was May 5, 2010, and I weighed 138 lbs. I was lean, strong, and was the closest I'd ever come to having a six-pack. Now, it's hiding under the keg.

I suppose my goals for training are as follows:

1) Reconfiguration of my body to replace about 30 lbs of fat with about 15-20 lbs of muscle. I can't put on too much weight, or I'll fail the weight requirements for the military. I'm already a stocky guy even if I'm totally lean.
    2) Blow the physical requirements for COT out of the water when I have to report for training in about a year and some change before active duty military life.
    3) Look good enough to motivate my wife to get back into it with me.
    -=[Talthas]=-
    ODN Senior Moderator

ODN Rules

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like to me that you want to:

- Burn some fat
    - Build some muscle (not bulking)
    - Increase both cardiovascular and muscular endurance

However, you dont have a lot of time to do it in any given day.

The solution to this really is pretty simple in theory, difficult in practice. You need to attack this problem 3 fold:

1) Increase cardio. Both in duration and effort. Try to do cardio 45 minutes to an hour 3-4 times a week. When you do it, do it to maximum effort. If you aren't drenched in sweat and fatigued at the end, you didn't try hard enough. Ideally, you want your heart rate to be in the 140s or so.

2) Watch your diet. Lower your calorie, carb, and sodium intake levels. Ideally, you want to decrease your calories intake to at least 500 less than you burn in any given day. This will, absolutely, result in a 1 pound of pure body fat loss per week. Do that for 30 weeks, you achieve your fat loss goal of 30 pounds pure fat. Fat loss really is a simple math equation: Amount of calories you burn (naturally and through exercise) - Amount you consume = Fat you store or lose. Do not go beyond a 1000 calorie a day difference. This can cause a VERY serious problem called Ketosis (you probably know this) 500 a day difference is challenging enough as is.

3) Focus on a core building and / or high rep, low weight regiment. Core building is an art onto itself and is something that is very good for all types of Body building. I dont do it mainly because I hate doing it. LOL. Here is an article that explains Core building better than I could.

As for weight lifting, be sure to work all of your muscle groups evenly. One of the biggest mistake beginners make is not doing this. It begs injury. Also, be sure to thoroughly warm all the muscle group before you get to working weight and stretch before and after each set. For example, let's say you are working chest. Your working weight is going to be 155 pounds; 3 sets; 12-15 reps. you would want to start out by stretching really well first, then lift just the bar 10 - 15 times at a fast pace. Then stretch again, add about half of the total weight you would be working with (totally about 80 pounds) and lift about 5-7 times at a fast pace. Stretch again. Then begin your workout.

KEY POINTS:

STRETCHING:You cant stretch enough. It helps work out that lactic acid build up and helps your muscles "breath". You can go longer, harder, and better when you stretch and lessen the chance of injury. I spend a lot of time each day stretching.

HYDRATION: You need to be drinking about a gallon of water a day. Drink before, during, and after workouts. You should NEVER be thirsty.

CARBS: Carbs are good in moderation. Be sure to eat enough of them to give you that natural energy that is so incredibly vital to keeping you physically and mentally in the game.

HOW TO EXERCISE: If you can go to the gym, try to make sure you work each muscle group at least once a week. Ideally you want to get around 12-15 reps per set, 3 sets per exercise, 3-4 exercises per muscle group, with as little rest between sets as possible. (30 seconds or so.) This is build up both muscular and cardiovascular endurance quickly.

If you cannot go to a gym, still be sure to work all of your muscle groups at least once a week. I suggest focusing on core building if you cannot go to a gym.

Use enough weight when working out: Lift the weight until you cant anymore. Dont just quit at a number. Ultimately, it doesnt matter how much weight you lift. It matters whether or not you are building muscle and burning fat. You want to put enough weight on the bar so that you burn out around that 12-15 rep mark each time.

Supplements: Forget about almost every "weight loss" supplement you have heard of. They are a rip off and dont really do much. (In my opinion) What you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to take is cheap. Take Fish Oil and something called CLA both are very cheap and very, very effective. You also want to take a Whey Protein. I personally suggest Gold Standard Whey Protein Take the Fish Oil and CLA 3 times a day after every meal. Take the Whey up to 3 times a day (morning, after workout, right before bed) and at an absolute minimum, right after workout. Also, buy a **** ton of gummy bears. Take 30 of them after each workout session. This are fast digesting carbs that help replace what you burn quickly.

Rest: Get plenty of rest. You dont build muscle during a workout. You build it during rest.

Dont worry about what other people are doing or taking: Most of them are either clueless or have different goals than you do.

Find a picture of a guy that you want to look like: Hang it up somewhere and use that to motivate you. I have a picture of Jay Cutler that I look at everyday.

Get your wife involved: Talk her into rewarding your efforts with mindblowing sex. My girlfriend rewards me for my efforts and progress with a particular something often enough to help give me that extra push. It helps a lot.

Push yourself: If it is easy, you aren't doing it hard enough. This is not an easy thing you are trying to do.

Thats it for now. I am tired so I may change some stuff or add some stuff tomorrow.[COLOR="Silver"]

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

A few months ago I posted on a muscle fitness website asking for some feedback on my workout routine, and was very disappointed to get mostly crickets and a one dude stating the obvious.

But since you seem to be an expert on the subject, I'd like your take on my situation.

My goal is increased functional strength and to maintain endurance and cardio, but not sacrificing too much time and energy to accomplish this. I am a proud father of two and want to be able to play with my kids and lift them around with ease, and I am also a passionate long distance backpacker that goes on at least one trip per month and several multi-day trips per year. Next month I am going on a 5 day 120km hike through rugged Swedish terrain and can't wait. Last year I bought and read the book "The Four Hour Body" by Tim Ferris and it inspired me to create my own workout regiment.

After tweaking it for about a year, this is what I do two times a week:

5min warm up with jump rope
    5min shadow boxing
    x 50 two handed kettle bell swings (28kg)
    x 10 one handed kettle bell lifts (16kg) with each arm
    x 30 push ups
    x 30 leg lifts (on my back, feet from floor to above my face)
    x 50 Hindu squats

Then I drink a homemade protein shake of about 35g hemp protein mixed with 300ml chocolate soy or oat milk.

Once every other week I go for a hike around the woods near my house and do sprints on trails, then do two sets of x 5 pull ups at a pull up bar set up in the woods.

I have gained more functional strength and more energy, and can hike 15-30km with relative ease. But for the past half year or so I felt like I hit a bit of a glass ceiling.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Functional strength means different things to different people. From the looks, to you it means that you want to increase strength without bulking and possibly losing mobility and endurance. If that is your goal, then you are on the right track. Your exercise routine is basically all core building with a touch of cardio which is good for what you are trying to accomplish.

The glass ceiling you speak of is called a plateau. It happens when you become too accustom to a particular routine. As Im sure you know, your body is an incredibly adaptive thing. The more that it is exposed to something, the more it adapts and eventually is able to deal with whatever stress with increasing ease until you get to the point to where you no longer benefit from it.

From the look, as far as the routine itself goes, you are on the right path. The only suggestion I would have would be centered around the idea of breaking through the plateau.

In order to break through plateaus you need to do one, or several, of a few things:

1: Increase the tempo of the workout. Basically do the same thing, but do it much , much harder. If it takes you 30 minutes to do the routine, try doing it in 20.
    2: Change up the routine. Do something completely different for a week. Workout like a strength builder for a week, then go back. You would be amazed how well this works.
    3: Increase the weight that you are working with. This is the most common one I use, not so efficient for core builders. You could try getting weights to use during your exercises to add resistance. (or use cable machines at a gym)
    4: Workout more often. Do your routine 3 times a week for awhile and see how that helps.
    5: Add stuff to your routine. Throw in additional sets of additional core building related exercises.
    6: Use intensity training techniques. Another time honored method for breaking plateaus. Here is a list of most of the ones you could use. I love intensity training. But it is not easy.

Hope this helped some. I will give it more thought and add more if I come to it.

8. Thanks Prime Zombie thanked for this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I have a general question.

When I was fit I was lean. It all came from pull ups push ups running etc. I was fit.

Well life took over and I put on weight. I'm not looking to drop much maybe 15lbs. I'd prefer to increase my muscle mass. To put it in my layman's terms replace my fat with muscle. I believe that's actually not possible but hopefully that makes some sense.

What is the best way to go about doing this from workouts to supplements or diets? Sorry for being general. My old fitness regiment was following Marine Corps training, fitness not body building.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Witty puns...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DevilPup John View Post
    I have a general question.

When I was fit I was lean. It all came from pull ups push ups running etc. I was fit.

Well life took over and I put on weight. I'm not looking to drop much maybe 15lbs. I'd prefer to increase my muscle mass. To put it in my layman's terms replace my fat with muscle. I believe that's actually not possible but hopefully that makes some sense.

What is the best way to go about doing this from workouts to supplements or diets? Sorry for being general. My old fitness regiment was following Marine Corps training, fitness not body building.

Well, you are right in saying that you cant turn fat into muscle. You can however burn fat and build muscle. If you are looking to drop 15 pounds of fat and at the same time build some muscle, I would advise simply consuming 500 calories less a day than you burn and engaging in a Fitness training regiment until desired result is achieved. (seems like you are more interested in fitness than strength, let me know if I am wrong.)

You can figure out how many calories to consume simply enough. First, find out your BMR this will give you an approximation of the amount of calories you will naturally burn a day. You can increase this number by working out and doing heavy cardio. Basically, if your BMR is 2000 and you burn 500 calories a day doing cardio, then all you need to do is restrict your calories intake to around 2000. If you do this, you absolutely will lose 1 pound of pure body fat a week. 15 weeks, you have reached your weight loss goal. It's mentally harder than it is physically, but it is something that can be done.

Secondly, building muscle. If you are looking to "get fit" try doing a fair amount of core exercises. These will some what improve your strength, but not so much. Core exercises have the effect of increasing muscular endurance more than anything, but they also have the side effect of helping strengthen stabilizer muscles. (they are also a lot less harsh on your joints.) If you want to actually increase strength, however, let me know and I will go into more detail.

There are a huge number of core building routines. Really, I never have used them so I cant give you an "Ideal" core building routine. I would suggest checking some routines out from trusted sources like Bodybuilding.com , LivingStrong.com , Mayoclinic.com and so on. Try different ones out and be sure to follow the same keypoints I used when replying to Tal above:

STRETCHING:You cant stretch enough. It helps work out that lactic acid build up and helps your muscles "breath". You can go longer, harder, and better when you stretch and lessen the chance of injury. I spend a lot of time each day stretching.

HYDRATION: You need to be drinking about a gallon of water a day. Drink before, during, and after workouts. You should NEVER be thirsty.

CARBS: Carbs are good in moderation. Be sure to eat enough of them to give you that natural energy that is so incredibly vital to keeping you physically and mentally in the game.

HOW TO EXERCISE: If you can go to the gym, try to make sure you work each muscle group at least once a week. Ideally you want to get around 12-15 reps per set, 3 sets per exercise, 3-4 exercises per muscle group, with as little rest between sets as possible. (30 seconds or so.) This is build up both muscular and cardiovascular endurance quickly.

If you cannot go to a gym, still be sure to work all of your muscle groups at least once a week. I suggest focusing on core building if you cannot go to a gym.

Use enough weight when working out: Lift the weight until you cant anymore. Dont just quit at a number. Ultimately, it doesnt matter how much weight you lift. It matters whether or not you are building muscle and burning fat. You want to put enough weight on the bar so that you burn out around that 12-15 rep mark each time.

Supplements: Forget about almost every "weight loss" supplement you have heard of. They are a rip off and dont really do much. (In my opinion) What you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to take is cheap. Take Fish Oil and something called CLA both are very cheap and very, very effective. You also want to take a Whey Protein. I personally suggest Gold Standard Whey Protein Take the Fish Oil and CLA 3 times a day after every meal. Take the Whey up to 3 times a day (morning, after workout, right before bed) and at an absolute minimum, right after workout. Also, buy a **** ton of gummy bears. Take 30 of them after each workout session. This are fast digesting carbs that help replace what you burn quickly.

Rest: Get plenty of rest. You dont build muscle during a workout. You build it during rest.

Dont worry about what other people are doing or taking: Most of them are either clueless or have different goals than you do.

Find a picture of a guy that you want to look like: Hang it up somewhere and use that to motivate you. I have a picture of Jay Cutler that I look at everyday.

Get your wife involved: Talk her into rewarding your efforts with mindblowing sex. My girlfriend rewards me for my efforts and progress with a particular something often enough to help give me that extra push. It helps a lot.

Push yourself: If it is easy, you aren't doing it hard enough. This is not an easy thing you are trying to do.

Let me know if I can be of any more help or didnt fully answer your question.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an idea of a serious bodybuilding routine that focuses on strength: Keep in mind that all sets are done with a weight that causes me to burn out around the rep range offered. Always work the biggest muscles first. (Chest, Legs, Back)

Monday and Thursday: Chest and Tri's

20 mins cardio (Keeping heart rate above 120)

• Chest
    • Bench Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
    • Incline Bench Press - 4 sets of 6 reps
    • Dumbbell Flys; Incline - 4 sets of 6 reps
    • Incline Cable Flyes - 3 sets of 10 reps

• Tri's
    • Cable Pulldowns - 5 sets of 5
    • Skullcrushers - 4 sets of 6
    • Overhead Tri Extenstions - 3 sets of 10

5 sets of Calf work
    30 minute sauna session

***Note*** On Thursday's I substitute some of the exercises for others that do the same general thing. For example, instead of Incline Bench Press, I will do Incline Press; Dumbbell. Each week, I vary up the routine to some degree. The first workout for each muscle group, however, always remains the same.

Tuesday and Friday: Shoulders and Legs

• Legs
    • Squats - 5 sets of 5
    • Leg Press - 4 sets of 6
    • Leg Extensions - 3 sets of 10
    • Straight Leg Dead-lifts - 5 sets of 5
    • Prone Hamstring Curls - 3 sets of 10

• Shoulders
    • Barbell Shoulder Press - 5 sets of 5
    • Leverage Shoulder Press - 4 sets of 6
    • Cable Lateral Raises - 3 sets of 10
    • Front Lat. Raises; Dumbbell - 3 sets of 10
    • Rear Mach Lats. - 3 sets of 10

5 sets of Ab work
    30 minute sauna session

Wednesday and Saturday: Back and Biceps

• Back
    • Cable Lat Pulldowns - 5 sets of 5
    • Bent Rows - 4 sets of 6
    • Low Rows - 4 sets of 6
    • Barbell Shrugs - 5 sets of 5

• Biceps
    • Alternating Dumbbell Curls - 5 sets of 5
    • Isolated Preacher Curls - 4 sets of 6
    • Hammer Curls - 4 sets of 6
    • High Cable Curls - 3 sets of 10

5 sets of Forearm work
    30 minute sauna session

This is a hard routine to most. It is actually an easy one to me. I could go a lot harder. However, more is not always better. I take A LOT of supplements and have a great knowledge of HOW to work out that is necessary to avoid injury. This is how I am able to bench well over 400 pounds, squat close to 500 and curl over 100 pounds with each arm.

A lot of work. A lot of reward.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Great tips by the way. What if I'm looking to drop that 15lbs of fat and put it back on as muscle?

I know how to get skinny and strong but I'd like to stay at this weight but stronger and more "built". Honestly I don't want to buy new clothes .

Witty puns...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Great tips by the way.
    Thanks =]

What if I'm looking to drop that 15lbs of fat and put it back on as muscle?
    Well, the fat is def. easier to lose than the muscle is to build. I would suggest dieting in the fashion I have talked about above (500 less calories a day than you consume) coupled with increased cardio. At the same time, I would begin a moderate weight training program. Something like 3 days a week thoroughly working each muscle group during that time. There are tons of routines to pick from. Really any of them by fitness experts would serve your purpose.