Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Senior Mod

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Terrorist attack at Boston Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me View Post
    I will protect my crock pots with my guns they want to take away.
    Color me surprised, considering other stances you've taken elsewhere... but pleasantly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me
    And a couple of double taps that wont kill him at first.
    Meh.... I think that the worst thing we could do to him is give him an anonymous, totally media-silent trial, and a totally unremarkable and anonymous execution that involves something about pig's blood or whatever it takes to make sure that he doesn't qualify for whatever blessed afterlife he may believe he has waiting for him because of his "martyrdom." Make sure that he knows that his plan to terrorize us has failed utterly, and that his name and his mission and his purpose will never be spoken of again and will be forgotten as we move on with our lives with renewed resolve against everything he tried to accomplish.

To be honest, I really wish we could just do him like the Klingons, and all simply agree that he has no honor, that his name will never be spoken again except as a curse, and that he and everything he stood for or did with his life is to be considered as less than worthless and never worth discussing. To a radical who is trying to strike fear into our hearts, our collective disgust and utter disregard may be a fate worse than martyrdom.
    -=[Talthas]=-
    ODN Senior Moderator

ODN Rules

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Talthas View Post
    Color me surprised, considering other stances you've taken elsewhere... but pleasantly so.
    What the same sex marriage stance? NVM I will leave that for the thread it is in..

Meh.... I think that the worst thing we could do to him is give him an anonymous, totally media-silent trial, and a totally unremarkable and anonymous execution that involves something about pig's blood or whatever it takes to make sure that he doesn't qualify for whatever blessed afterlife he may believe he has waiting for him because of his "martyrdom." Make sure that he knows that his plan to terrorize us has failed utterly, and that his name and his mission and his purpose will never be spoken of again and will be forgotten as we move on with our lives with renewed resolve against everything he tried to accomplish.
    I vote for it to be televised live lol
    Show me the government that does not infringe upon anyone's rights, and I will no longer call myself an anarchist.~Jacob Halbrooks
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.~Benjamin Franklin
    "Go big or Go home"~ LoLo Bean

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me View Post
    That's a pretty far out assumption, I am not from the "right"
    Well, I hadn't noticed you politicizing it so more than an assumption it was just an observation of the conversation up to that point.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    Well, I hadn't noticed you politicizing it so more than an assumption it was just an observation of the conversation up to that point.
    My apologies, I was on another thread.. :D
    Show me the government that does not infringe upon anyone's rights, and I will no longer call myself an anarchist.~Jacob Halbrooks
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.~Benjamin Franklin
    "Go big or Go home"~ LoLo Bean

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Tea party I'll agree with. They have no history of direct violence. Right wing extremists however do have a track record of bombings and shootings in recent history.
    Oh? Not to say there is none, but given the relative proportions of violence from extremist groups I would think if we were going to leap to conclusions we would leap towards an Islamic conclusion followed by a Leftist conclusion before we jump to a Right wing one right? Just on sheer probability the latter is more likely than say a Buddhist attack, but far less likely than a Muslim or Leftist oriented attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig
    Funny, but don't knock it if you haven't tried it. The primary NPR news programs are extremely professional and follow the highest grade of journalistic standards that I have come across in my days. Now NPR has its liberal zones, talk shows and such, but their news casts are by the book and they cover a wide range of subjects.
    No, no, you're right. I was being snarky. I do listen to NPR (its the news source for the classical music radio I have here in DC) and I don't think they are terrible. They are biased as well, I think perhaps less so than CNN or MSNBC and perhaps Fox (definitely Fox morning stuff), but they cover it they way they wish. I think to the extent NPR puts its bias in it does so via what aspect it covers. I would prefer we just had our news in the 1920s style, biases in the open so we can evaluate them from that perspective.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    Oh? Not to say there is none, but given the relative proportions of violence from extremist groups I would think if we were going to leap to conclusions we would leap towards an Islamic conclusion followed by a Leftist conclusion before we jump to a Right wing one right? Just on sheer probability the latter is more likely than say a Buddhist attack, but far less likely than a Muslim or Leftist oriented attack.
    I agree with that, Islamic terrorism should be our first guess on nearly any bombing. But honestly I still think the speculation is best left on the back burner (as fun as it is to speculate) and its best to keep a clear mind when examining initial evidence and just see where the trail goes.

In some ways I really hate the way we divide politics in the US. The right left thing is all well and good in the middle, but with events like these it should be both sides in the middle against extremists all around the edges. Anyone thinking blowing people up is a means for social change needs to get a united punch in the face from the usual political opponents who scrap over more mundane political issues. It doesn't matter what brand of extreme politics they are associated with, its not what any of us advocate.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with that, Islamic terrorism should be our first guess on nearly any bombing. But honestly I still think the speculation is best left on the back burner (as fun as it is to speculate) and its best to keep a clear mind when examining initial evidence and just see where the trail goes.
    For the trial I agree with you. I'm not sure I agree when it comes to the investigation. Likely suspects shouldn't be overridding, but that does give you clues as to possible other evidence, motives that can be explored, etc.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3