Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Mind Trapped by: Marathon Bombing and the media coverage

We all know and feel terrible for the crime that was committed, and the loss of those involved. With the highest respect to them, this thread is intended as an introduction to a discussion on the media coverage of the event.

1) Lack of facts
    I do not have cable so my exposure to the news was limited, but when I did have a chance to watch there was a distinct trend. First, the 24 hour news media can only cover 1 story at a time. Every burp or hickup, rumor or suggestion is put on the air with the under the breath qualifiers of "we don't know anything.. or this could be true". This was the 24 hour gossip and speculation channel for the past few days. Many of the stations would speculate on something only to retract it a few hours later.

2) Over concentration on "feelings".
    After the bombing, because it was hard to get to any of the real victims, anyone in the facility even though they had no connection were questioned to absurdity.
    Some guy sitting at a restaurant 10 blocks away..

reporter - "What happened"
    man - I don't know I was just eating my subway sandwich and I hear a pop.
    Reporter - How did that make you feel?

The "how do you feel" question becomes a substitution for reporting the facts, and a filler for the 24 hour void that must be filled on the airwaves of anything relating to the event.

3) Press conferences.
    There are too many press-conferences. The one that was the so called "last straw" for me was the hospital press conference. Now, everyone wants to know how many were killed, but we don't need a real time running total or a countdown clock. That Doctors had to take their time to speak to the media to explain that people were hurt, and to open that up to questions.. How many severed legs? How many decapitations? How many missing eyes? How many fingers? Exactly how many litters of blood? Were you read for this? Bla.. bla. bla.
    What happened to DR patient confidentiality? Why is it that if I lose a leg all of a sudden it becomes the worlds business? The same information could have been given from a fax from all the hospitals giving a report at the end of the day.

4) Ambulance chasing, circus creating, speculation making, sensationalizing media.

The entire event was over-sensationalized, over dramatized and over reported with no facts or substance. Watch any show for 5 min and you would see a repeating loop of the explosion video, with a few seconds or another take added every hour of the same thing. All the while in the background some T.V. talking head speculates.. "O, the runner fell down so it must have been a powerful explosion.. look at the force, that guy just falls down".. It was shameful drivel from people who had nothing to say, and no idea of what was going on. Reporters interviewed irrelevant people who had nothing to say and no facts to add. In the race to "scoop" every other 24 hour station, they all scooped up huge loads of crap and broadcast it in an endless stream of bad reporting.

No reporter did their job, non INVESTIGATED. They all simply bounced from one press conference to another, and instead of offering a coherent story they broadcast the confusion to the world.

for shame!

------

Your thoughts? Am I wrong?
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.

2. Likes Squatch347, Michael, Talthas liked this post
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mind Trapped by: Marathon Bombing and the media coverage

Quote Originally Posted by MindTrap028 View Post
    Your thoughts? Am I wrong?
    I agree that some of the coverage was sensationalism. Unfortunately, sensationalism sells. However, I also think there are pros and cons with media coverage of such events like this drama that literally unfolded before the public's view through different media formats and outlets. It's almost like a Hollywood movie except in real time, with real people with real blood, but hopefully not with a real high budget as Hollywood productions can be. But who knows, Hollywood may make their version of this event as screen writers often get their ideas for a script from real life stories.

Since we now seem to be living in an age of smartphones and instant information, this is the not the first time such intense, live minute-by-minute media coverage with sensationalism has happened and it probably won't be the last. Meaning, it won't be the last time the authorities has asked the media to invite the American public to be part of the process of helping find suspects who should be apprehended and off public streets. We also saw a similar drama unfold a few months ago with the Chris Doner incident.

You listed some of the cons to the media coverage, which, for the most part, I agree. However, here are some pros, at least to me they are pros, to the media converge especially when some public event happens like this public bombing in Boston, where so many people witness it and are involved.

First, there is a lot more of the public then there are police and FBI agents on the streets of America. And that public now has some very cool tools in our hands that can basically record almost everything we do and where we go if we want to. This new reality and phenomena can be very helpful in the pursuit of people (who are also part of the public) yet who have chosen to disregard public safety, the Rule of Law and individual freedom. So why not use it effectively?

Tech-savvy public plays unprecedented role in crowdsourced terrorist hunt
    Since the bombs went off in Boston's Copley Square on Monday, the FBI and Boston Police Department have sought the public's help in an unprecedented way, amassing gigabytes of digital evidence * photos and videos from the tragic event * in what may be the world's most crowdsourced terrorist hunt.

"It's not the first use of private video from stores or other places to help solve a crime. That is a common investigative technique," Jim Bueermann, president of the Police Foundation and former police chief of Redlands, Calif., told NBC News. "But it is without a doubt the largest-scale use of crowd-sleuthing that I've seen."

On Thursday, the requests proved their worth. Authorities revealed surveillance video with closeups of the two key suspects, the baseball-cap-wearing brothers. In an instant, the images shot across the Web, and soon, better images, with different angles and sharper focus, were making their way back to investigators, along with a bevy of personal information about the suspected terrorists.
    Advertise | AdChoices

With over 130 million smartphone owners in America * not to mention over 300 million photos added to Facebook every day, and over 72 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every single minute * it's no surprise that investigators are interested in what the crowds around Copley Square can contribute. There are cameras everywhere, and what a fixed surveillance camera doesn't pick up, someone with a cellphone may.
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...rist-hunt?lite

Second, and this is purely from a theological/spiritual perspective, the more people of faith and who believe in the power of prayer, who are made aware of such an on-going developing story, I think the better. When you're looking for a needle in a hey stack, i.e., a person running freely who is a threat to the public and who has not offered to turn themselves in, any "all-seeing" mitigating elements that can work through people to help authorities, I'm sure is appreciated.

Thoughts become things, at least I believe this and have observed it in my life. Now that premise can also be a two-edge sword and when there's an onslaught of negative, slanted media coverage, such coverage can and does seem to shape the thoughts of people.

So, to the sum up, can the media just do it's job more effectively when public events happen like this bombing without all the excess baggage? I think so but I guess it depends on what network you ask.
    Close your eyes. Fall in love. Stay there.
    Rumi

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator
    ODN Rules

Post Thanks / Like

The whole thing just seems fake. I have cable so I watched cnn, fox, msnbc, etc. It was all pretty much the same thing. I noticed a lot of inconsistencies, and the entire story just sounds fake. Not just from the media but from state officials. If these guys had guns why did they hyjack a car with a knife? How did the guy get away from police wounded on foot? They have 1000s of people, helicopters with infra red, k-9 units and the guy got away? Then they find him in a boat they already searched!? Sounds like a bad action movie. Alex Jones is loving this...

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The whole thing just seems fake.
    So what's real Michael?

Maybe there aren't really any spoons either.
    Name:  matrix-spoon.jpeg
Views: 42
Size:  12.5 KB
    Close your eyes. Fall in love. Stay there.
    Rumi

[Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator
    ODN Rules

6. Likes Swindall liked this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The whole thing just seems fake. I have cable so I watched cnn, fox, msnbc, etc. It was all pretty much the same thing. I noticed a lot of inconsistencies, and the entire story just sounds fake. Not just from the media but from state officials. If these guys had guns why did they hyjack a car with a knife? How did the guy get away from police wounded on foot? They have 1000s of people, helicopters with infra red, k-9 units and the guy got away? Then they find him in a boat they already searched!? Sounds like a bad action movie. Alex Jones is loving this...
    Seems fake compared to good action movies? Or maybe you've seen too many crime dramas on tv, in which the bad guy is identified and arrested in less than an hour. Video entertainment is your basis for determining what looks fake? Seriously? In real life, catching crooks is usually a messy business that takes time.

Eric Rudoph committed several bombings from 1996 -1998, including the Olympics in Atlanta. He was identified as the prime suspect in 1998 but evaded police until 2003. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Rudolph
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It was quite the story. I'm not a news hound but I listened to radio coverage for a few hours over the course of the manhunt. And it really was right out of the pages of some action thriller in many way.

But I agree that early coverage, as it often is, was terrible, especially on TV. They know what people want to see but don't have that much to show them. And honestly I still feel its mostly our fault for watching it. The truth is that journalism takes some time and the TV media is all about immediacy. I mostly listened to NPR and while there was some amount of much to do of nothing, for the most part it was good solid coverage and they stuck to verifiable facts rather than the latest rumor or speculation. And they actually would break to cover other news so as not to just be a wall of blather all the time.

Still, I can't fault wanting to cover an event like this, or wanting to find out about it, but I generally hate TV news with a passion both during these kinds of events, and even for their day to day coverage. It regularly insults my intelligence and pisses me off so I just avoid it.

I was struck by how powerful social media and communication was in this story. Its like 1984 but instead of only big brother watching, its all of us. Orwell's vision is pretty much true but in our society it fuels not only the echelons of power but the mob as well. And honestly, in this instance it served justice well.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

The whole thing just seems fake.
    Fake compare to what?

I have cable so I watched cnn, fox, msnbc, etc. It was all pretty much the same thing. I noticed a lot of inconsistencies, and the entire story just sounds fake.
    Any incident like this is going to have inconsistencies.

Not just from the media but from state officials. If these guys had guns why did they hyjack a car with a knife? How did the guy get away from police wounded on foot?
    They could have trashed the guns maybe? It would be easy to get away from police in all the chaos.
    They have 1000s of people, helicopters with infra red, k-9 units and the guy got away? Then they find him in a boat they already searched!? Sounds like a bad action movie. Alex Jones is loving this...
    Sounds like you are comparing this to an action movie.
    But I do have to agree with inconsistencies, I honestly think they were tipped off before the marathon ever started. They had dogs out sniffing around, officers with guns on roofs, so I do think they were tipped off.

As far as the media coverage, the media done a poor job. A very poor job with the facts, the press conferences contradicted some facts already giving. During one press conference it was stated the low enforcement did not want to give out much on the locations they were searching and have already searched, but turned right around airing live video feed.
    Show me the government that does not infringe upon anyone's rights, and I will no longer call myself an anarchist.~Jacob Halbrooks
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.~Benjamin Franklin
    "Go big or Go home"~ LoLo Bean

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

@ eye4magic

I won't argue there are many pro's to the media. In the end though the media is supposed to be journalists. I was just calling them out on their failures to be that. they did a great job in helping spread the message of who the bad guys were, so that is good. That doesn't excuse being stuck on a 5min loop for 23 hours.
    I apologize to anyone waiting on a response from me. I am experiencing a time warp, suddenly their are not enough hours in a day. As soon as I find a replacement part to my flux capacitor regulator, time should resume it's normal flow.