Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for participants in a 1v1 challenge

I would like to engage in a formal 1 on 1 debate with someone. My opponent - if they wish - may specify anything out of the possible topics.

Possible topics:

• Preferably something on the Philosophy of Religion. I would be happy to debate any of the arguments for or against the existence of God. This may include debates around logical or other inconsistencies in a general "God" (to be defined). This may not include debates around inconsistencies or others in a specific God of a particular sect of a religion or a particular interpretation of a Holy text which would require a lot of additional work to understand the specific set of beliefs. So as general as possible, but it can bear elements specific to a religion if they are understandable enough. Similarly with debates around arguments for God(s).
    • Some examples above would be debates around Teleological, Cosmological, Ontological, Moral and other arguments for God's existence. Oh, and another interesting one could be debates around miracles and other religious experiences. Similarly, the Problem of Evil, Problems of logical fallacies within God's Attributes (difficulties with omniscience, omnipotence, eternal and sempiternal etc), problems of probability, burden of proof etc.
    • I am not interested in a debates specific to a Holy Text (although they may be referenced in a different debate)
    • Nothing on American Politics. British politics would be acceptable, but the topic would have to be simple to understand.
    • Anything on ethics: e.g. abortion, euthanasia, gun laws, sexual ethics (homosexuality included), animal ethics, environmental ethics, business ethics etc.
    • Anything on philosophy in general, as long the topic does not require too much work to understand. This may include Philosophy about the Soul (or conciousness/materialism/dualism), Meta-Ethics, Free Will, Linguistic philosophy (the meaning of language; this could be interesting in relation to God, as long as it is not too specific), etc.

I have a list of suggested rules which I will post on this thread, but I can't access them right now. Other rules are welcome. The rules were simply to specify the structure of the debate.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Some suggested rules:

• Only posts from me and my debate partner allowed.
    • One statement is the title of the thread along the lines of "This House Believes That..." For example, "This House Believes that the Ontological Argument provides valid justification for God's existence". Then one participant will take the Proposition, the other will take the Opposition.
    • Arguments typed clearly and presented with excellent formatting skill
    • Sources linked using numbers in square brackets [1, etc] with hyperlinks at bottom of post
    • Sources may not contain arg
    • Sides must not violate definitions, structure or rules
    • No post bombing, trolling etc

Suggested structure: (prop = proposition, op = opposition)

• Round 1 - Definitions (round finishes when both parties are agreed)

• Round 2 - Prop opening statement, Op opening statement (introducing a few ideas/arguments, no rebuttal allowed)

• Round 3 - Prop rebuttal, Op rebuttal (may introduce new ideas as well)
    • Round 4 - Prop closing statement, Op closing statement (summarising debate)

All rounds except round 1 could be 1 post only.

These are just suggestions!

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for participants in a 1v1 challenge

I would be more than happy to debate any of the following subjects:

Cosmological Argument
    Fine Tuning Argument
    Business Ethics
    Gun laws

I would also be happy to be a judge if you wished.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Post Thanks / Like

@Squatch - Brilliant! I would love to debate you; however before I confirm and pick a topic, could I ask about what possible role and functions a judge would provide? I'm not familiar with the use of them and hadn't really thought about them.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caconym View Post
    @Squatch - Brilliant! I would love to debate you; however before I confirm and pick a topic, could I ask about what possible role and functions a judge would provide? I'm not familiar with the use of them and hadn't really thought about them.
    Well often in these kind of threads we agree on a panel of judges (or just one) and they read our responses and discuss/vote who won. It certainly isn't' a requirement in any sense. I was offering my services in that capacity as well if you debated someone else.
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    Well often in these kind of threads we agree on a panel of judges (or just one) and they read our responses and discuss/vote who won. It certainly isn't' a requirement in any sense. I was offering my services in that capacity as well if you debated someone else.
    Oh ok, in that case I'm not really interested in the idea of judges. In which case, lets pick a title! Out of your topics, I most prefer Business Ethics and the Cosmological argument.

So, some suggested titles (please feel free to edit, reject or propose others):

"THBT the Cosmological argument provides a sound justification for belief in a (Christian) God" - I would have to take opposition. Could change the word Christian to any other religion, or to none, or make more specifications on said God in title (or in OP). Obvs OP would have to contain your version of the cosmological argument.

or "THBT the best/worst argument for the existence of a (Christian) God is the Cosmological Argument".

"THBT the sole purpose of businesses should be profit maximisation of the shareholders". I would have to take the opposition.
    "THW make businesses responsible for ensuring their suppliers are ethical". Difficult, not sure I like it.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

"THBT the Cosmological argument provides a sound justification for belief in a (Christian) God" - I would have to take opposition. Could change the word Christian to any other religion, or to none, or make more specifications on said God in title (or in OP). Obvs OP would have to contain your version of the cosmological argument.
    I could debate the positive if it was changed to: "THBT the Cosmological argument provides a sound justification for belief in an omnipotent, intentful, a-physical, a-temporal creator."

Quote Originally Posted by caco
    "THBT the sole purpose of businesses should be profit maximisation of the shareholders". I would have to take the opposition.
    I could debate this as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I could debate the positive if it was changed to: "THBT the Cosmological argument provides a sound justification for belief in an omnipotent, intentful, a-physical, a-temporal creator."
    Lets do it, though now on reflection I would prefer it to be "THBT the Cosmological argument makes belief in an omnipotent, intentful, a-physical, a-temporal creator a logical necessity". Or something along those lines. But if that doesn't suit you, we'll go with your title.

Anyway, do you agree with the rules and structure, and would you like to edit/add/remove any?

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Nope should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Arghh, on holiday; both the internet and tablet I'm using are proving difficult in every possibe way. Typing, accessing and sending in particular are proving more difficult than I anticipated. I will be back home in a week and 4 days. I will also try posting again when I move location in 4 days. Till then, I am sorry but I have to postpone. Please do not lose interest! If there is no option but for me to respond before I get home I shall try to write up my OP then type it in an internet cafe. Sorry again squatch!

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Arghh, on holiday; both the internet and tablet I'm using are proving difficult in every possibe way. Typing, accessing and sending in particular are proving more difficult than I anticipated. I will be back home in a week and 4 days. I will also try posting again when I move location in 4 days. Till then, I am sorry but I have to postpone. Please do not lose interest! If there is no option but for me to respond before I get home I shall try to write up my OP then type it in an internet cafe. Sorry again squatch!
    Ha, no worries. We all get busy.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, no worries. We all get busy.
    I am happily home again. I'll create the thread now. As the proposition, you'll be taking first post. I was thinking previously that because both our first posts are OPs, I could write mine in advance, but I quickly discovered that my OP hinges completely on the type of Cosmological Argument you use. Anyway, hope you're still up for it! Also, changed it so I just accept your definitions. There's nothing contentious in the title anyway.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Great, should have my post up today.