Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Poll: What did you think of the Rap!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rate my Rap, then give me yours.

You think you know, Got it all figured out, you have to show, real quick to shout.

You donít believe and canít conceive, that your time is short, you will report, to the man

The great I am. Heís watching you raise up yourself. Coveted possessions up on your

shelf. All around you, tell you so, and every time from you its no. A Victim of pride, no

humility. Take the wrong side, take the penalty. How many times in how many years,

have you rejected your lord with angry jeers. Who are you to walk this way, might be

today, no one can say. Take heed, think it out, realize your need, let go of doubt. The

sand is slipping to the other side, when it all falls through, where will you reside. Unless

you change, completely rearrange, the life you live, and start to give. Itís not too

late, while you still have breath, do it now, you canít stop death, give your life back to the

Lord, If not, youíll surely die by the avengers sword. Ė MUSTANG5
    Mike

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rate my Rap, then give me yours.

I'll have to defer to higher power on this one...

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I have never managed to get 'into' rap. 'Suppose it is an age and ethnic issue in my case. I understand the flow of the lyrics, but feel that God is not really heavy into avenging - He is more, 'go and don't sin again' - and into being crucified in our place. It is more likely that we will condemn and judge ourselves in a situation where only absolute truth prevails.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I can almost hear the angry guy shouting that to a prerecorded sound track. :D It got a bit too poetic at the end, IMO.

Honestly, though, christian rap...
    -=]Iluvatar[=-
    Lurker, Former Staff

"I'm not really here. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what's good for them."

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, though, christian rap...
    What, you got a problem, punk? I guess you prefer all that "gangsta" junk. I know I'm goin' against the modern zeitgeist, but I'd rather rhyme bout Jesus Christ.

Yeah, I think you may be right, in general. Although the problem lies with Christians who are trying to rap instead of rappers who are trying to be Christian (like when Christians try to make movies: the problem is that they aren't good at making movies. What is needed are Christian moviemakers, not just any Christian trying his/her hand at making a "Christian" movie)

If you want poetry, read Dante or Milton. I personally like Donne a lot more than most other people do. But the new stuff can't hold a candle to the old school.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't call it "dope," since it's not about popular subjects like "hoes," but it does seem like the Pope's kind of rap, so I voted for number 2.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I have no rap, just a mild slap - sorry old chap
    While laughing at others stupidity, you may want to contemplate your own comedic talents. (link)
    Disclaimer: This information is being provided for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I appreciate the info. Keep it coming. Got off to a rough start though with GodlessPagen. It was his idea to use the DOPE rating system. Then he comes out with a shun and doesn't even vote. Tough crowd. I've got more, however if I don't pass the test of the vote, they will be no more.
    Mike

ODN's Crotchety Old Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mustang5
    Well, I appreciate the info. Keep it coming. Got off to a rough start though with GodlessPagen. It was his idea to use the DOPE rating system.
    1. It's GodlessPagan.
    2. It all worked according to my dope plan.

Then he comes out with a shun and doesn't even vote.
    Hey, I gave to two reputation bars. Quit yer whinin'.

Depends...In real life or in the chat rooms?
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been so puzzled as to why you think that god would like rap, in his name? First of all, people condem modern rap. We all know why. So why use his name, and some nice words to fit into and try to "clean up"modern rap when it already sucks anyways. If god exists they would HATE any form of modern music, i would include jesseus in this also. Its like takeing an ancient greek artist, and making him play Pimp daddy on the real world. If god is "human" which witch we all portray him as, then im sure he dosent like rap itself, but accpets it because of what joy it brings to the people he created

Post Thanks / Like

Are you drunk?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

vance101 - you are judging God's judgement from a narrow and personal perspective. The problem is that it is not His personal perspective, it is your's.

ps. CS, especially for you - look in QUOTES.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vance101
    I have been so puzzled as to why you think that god would like rap, in his name? First of all, people condem modern rap. We all know why. So why use his name, and some nice words to fit into and try to "clean up"modern rap when it already sucks anyways. If god exists they would HATE any form of modern music, i would include jesseus in this also. Its like takeing an ancient greek artist, and making him play Pimp daddy on the real world. If god is "human" which witch we all portray him as, then im sure he dosent like rap itself, but accpets it because of what joy it brings to the people he created
    Well for starters my RAP is designed to put a seed in non believers. It wasn't necessarily written for GOD. It was written for man. I guess you are deciding for GOD what type of music he likes. Would you say that he likes 4HIM, or Mercyme, AVALON, Christian music. I would think so. Just because you don't like RAP doesn't mean that God doesn't like it either. Personally I don't like RAP myself. It just seemed to flow out of me without putting much effort in it. What I want you to do is look at the content, the message, the flow, and determine if you like the lyrics. Then vote. Just be honest. I don't care.
    Mike

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

You think you know, Got it all figured out, you have to show, real quick to shout.

You donít believe and canít conceive, that your time is short, you will report, to the man

The great I am. Heís watching you raise up yourself. Coveted possessions up on your

shelf. All around you, tell you so, and every time from you its no. A Victim of pride, no

humility. Take the wrong side, take the penalty. How many times in how many years,

have you rejected your lord with angry jeers. Who are you to walk this way, might be

today, no one can say. Take heed, think it out, realize your need, let go of doubt. The

sand is slipping to the other side, when it all falls through, where will you reside. Unless

you change, completely rearrange, the life you live, and start to give. Itís not too

late, while you still have breath, do it now, you canít stop death, give your life back to the

Lord, If not, youíll surely die by the avengers sword.
    Belittleing dogmatic propaganda. You at least got it to sort of rhyme... 1/10.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to try to translate this atrocity so that you can hear what it sounds like from the standpoint of a non-believer.

No matter what you may happen to think, it's wrong.

The great I am.
    My god is going to judge you when you die which will be sooner than you anticipate. (Isn't that a cheary thought?) Also, you're too stupid or pre-occupied to really understand this.

Heís watching you raise up yourself. Coveted possessions up on your

humility.
    My god allows me to have pride in him, but you having basic self esteem and pride in your own acomplishments is bad. Also, you're a bad person for owning the same material possesions I have in my house.

Take the wrong side, take the penalty. How many times in how many years,

have you rejected your lord with angry jeers.
    Believe what we say or it's your rear end / convert or die / go to H E double hockey sticks. Also, you've rejected god not because of a lack of evidence on the side of Christians, but because you're a jerk.

Who are you to walk this way, might be

today, no one can say. Take heed, think it out, realize your need, let go of doubt.
    Stop all that fancy thinkin' and just be one of the sheep.

The sand is slipping to the other side, when it all falls through, where will you reside.

Unless you change, completely rearrange, the life you live, and start to give. Itís not too

Lord, If not, youíll surely die by the avengers sword.
    Convert or die / go to he11.

Great way to win friends and influence people, Musty. What do you do for an encore? Leap off the stage and start kicking people in the groin who don't convert?

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't find anything to rhyme with "Jesus", "love", or "forgiveness", eh? I noticed that you got avenge...

Pathetic.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I think Zhav summed up the interpretation pretty well. Let me dissect this as a piece of literature.

1. Good poetry/rap should be fresh. The problem with rap is its overuse of rhyme. If you are going to rhyme stuff it better be clever. Otherwise, it is just cliche and crap.

"You think you know, Got it all figured out, you have to show, real quick to shout.
    You donít believe and canít conceive, that your time is short, you will report, "

know and show, believe and conceive. Wow! Truly bland.

2. Your imagery is juvenile at best. You want to paint a picture. You drew a stick figure.
    "The sand is slipping to the other side, when it all falls through, where will you reside"
    I am pretty sure your average five year old could have come up with this line. Seriously, the concept of sand falling through an hourglass is about as uncreative a metaphore for passing time as making a crack about a Timex.

3. The meter of your "rap" didn't flow. As I went from the beginning to the end, the pace seemed to change without any reason. I mean, if the theme changed, or you were altering the pace to make a point, fine. But, it seemed perfectly random.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I gave it slippery slope, dunno if that means it's bad or good, but it's a toss up for me. Reminds me of that song by the Bone Thugs, Crossroads. I applaud your effort, heck, I can't write rap for crap. <--Not intentional.
    But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
    1 Peter 3:15-16

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd
    I think Zhav summed up the interpretation pretty well. Let me dissect this as a piece of literature.

1. Good poetry/rap should be fresh. The problem with rap is its overuse of rhyme. If you are going to rhyme stuff it better be clever. Otherwise, it is just cliche and crap.

"You think you know, Got it all figured out, you have to show, real quick to shout.
    You donít believe and canít conceive, that your time is short, you will report, "

know and show, believe and conceive. Wow! Truly bland.

2. Your imagery is juvenile at best. You want to paint a picture. You drew a stick figure.
    "The sand is slipping to the other side, when it all falls through, where will you reside"
    I am pretty sure your average five year old could have come up with this line. Seriously, the concept of sand falling through an hourglass is about as uncreative a metaphore for passing time as making a crack about a Timex.

3. The meter of your "rap" didn't flow. As I went from the beginning to the end, the pace seemed to change without any reason. I mean, if the theme changed, or you were altering the pace to make a point, fine. But, it seemed perfectly random.
    Ibelsd and Zhav in agreement? What does that tell you...

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

[G]ive your life back to the

Lord, If not, youíll surely die by the avengers sword. Ė MUSTANG5
    Is this rap about Allah or Jesus?

Now here's a rap:

Deleted for profanity. Substituting asterisks for one of the letters doesn't make it acceptable. We've covered this before. Consider this a last warning. - KB
    Last edited by KevinBrowning; March 14th, 2005 at 11:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast