Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

blackrosetiff

Unhappy Sexualisation of the Underage

Have you ever walked into a store that is suppose to be for young girls between the ages of 5 and 12?

These stores are full of short skirts and skimpy tops. These, my dear people are what children are wearing in this age. I walk around the local mall and I am appalled and disgusted at what children are wearing. Sure, I believe in freedom to express yourself, but this is ridiculous. Parents are allowing their young girls to dress in skimpy clothing. What a great way to attract sexual predators.

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this but I think people need to stand up and not allow their children to dress this way.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sexualisation of the Underage

Quote Originally Posted by blackrosetiff View Post
    Have you ever walked into a store that is suppose to be for young girls between the ages of 5 and 12?

These stores are full of short skirts and skimpy tops. These, my dear people are what children are wearing in this age. I walk around the local mall and I am appalled and disgusted at what children are wearing. Sure, I believe in freedom to express yourself, but this is ridiculous. Parents are allowing their young girls to dress in skimpy clothing. What a great way to attract sexual predators.

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this but I think people need to stand up and not allow their children to dress this way.
    First, welcome to ODN!

I agree with you that parents shouldn't allow their children to dress suggestively.

Do you think that government should get involved and make it illegal? Or should government ban organized activities that promote the sexualization of children? For example, France is moving towards banning beauty pageants for children under 16, and parents who enter their children in such pageants will face criminal prosecution. http://www.france24.com/en/20130918-...eauty-pageants

Do you think your government should do the same?
    Last edited by evensaul; September 18th, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It is a pity you posted in the Shooting the Breeze. Nice topic to debate. Many parents are definitely guilty of sexualizing their children. Maybe if they consider how many predators are really out there, they will think twice. There are many ways however to sexualize your child and it doesn't necessarily mean to dress them up in skimpy clothes. What you as a parent tell your child and how you maybe put too much emphasize on looks rather than anything else, you are also in my opinion guilty of that. Many children as young as 2 years old are being told they are so sexy. While it must be a joke at that time, I believe it already conditions the child to focus on the wrong things.

Welcome to ODN
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

4. Likes PatriotDani91 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you look at the types of role models these young girls look up to, I guess you see why they dress that way. I think a lot of the problem is that society no longer views sexual things or sexual looks as wrong, they chalk it up to "self-expression".

I don't think there should be government interference in what parents allow their children to wear but I do believe some interference could be helpful in what children are being allowed to see. Parents cannot control everything children expose THEMSELVES to.

I agree, however, that parents should (and can) control how their children present themselves.
    But what worries me is when these twelve year olds go to school and they change before and after school.

For example: Parents agree on an appropriate dress for their daughter, however the daughter has picked another (more suggestive) dress and changes into the one they don't approve of when they leave the house? How can the parents know or stop their daughter, would trying to stop her from dressing suggestively make her rebel even worse?

Not to get off subject, but how can a parent tell a child that they can't wear what they want because it's too suggestive, when the child see's one of their biggest role models, like Miley Cyrus, in a latex underwear/bra twerking on an awards show/music video?

I agree that the sexualization of our society is effecting children of a continually younger age and I agree that it's very wrong, but how do we stop it when the rest of the world is telling them it's ok?

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

As society and marketing tell us, sex sells.
    So in the eyes of a young girl, in many cases, sex (or looking sexy)=popularity/friends.

Post Thanks / Like

What's wrong with it? Children don't know what sex is really.

What one wears doesn't actually have anything to do with whether a predator is going to attack someone. Do you really believe rapists rape because of the outfit of the victim?