Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZuTheSkunk

Suddenly all children are being born invincible and stay that way until the age of 18

What the title says.

It can be a case of "a wizard did it" or some unrealistically specific mutation/disease. One way or another, all of a sudden, all newly born children always turn out completely immune to all sorts of damage and pain, including, but not limited to, blades, hammers, crushing, bombs, bullets, thirst, hunger, diseases, radiation, fire, drowning... you name it. They stay that way until the age of 18, at which point the invincibility just vanishes on the spot.

For added complication, we can also assume that such invincible children are incapable of reproducing until after they reach age 18.

What our modern world would be like if this happened? How badly would the world change over the course of the years?

And if this happened back when we didn't have all those cool inventions we have today... would we still manage to reach any reasonable level of technology?

(I figured that the forum fits, since it's about hypothetical debates. If it doesn't fit, I would like to ask for it to be moved.)

2. Likes Aspoestertjie, evensaul liked this post
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suddenly all children are being born invincible and stay that way until the age o

First, it would be a lot cheaper to have children... as you wouldn't have to feed them. This would probably cause people to have more children early in human history which would have had an exponential consiquence.
    Second, during wars, famine and disease there would be a lot more orphans because all the children that were previously killed would have survived.

I think the general rise in overall population numbers as well as an increase in un-parented children would have had a vast negative effect on society.
    To serve man.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suddenly all children are being born invincible and stay that way until the age o

Child soldiers....everyone would pit their child soldiers against each other to terrorize the adults. This is one weird topic...
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Parental discipline will disappear and kids will become daredevils and psychopaths unable to empathize with animals and adults suffering pain. It will be a world where those over 18 are hunted and killed by those under 18, just for sport. As the teenage monsters approach the "age of mortality" they will start seeking their own place to hide. Some might find remote enclaves of adults in the mountains, on islands, or a refuge on another world, and will request asylum. When young children grow to be dangerous to their parents, the parents face a decision to exile or kill their own children, or have the decision made for them by their community. A group of scientists finds that the dna of humans was changed as a result of...
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

If invincible means “the state of being immune to taking any form of damage, where you no longer feel pain from anything; incapable of being overcome or defeated"
    then these kids would be immune to being affected by evil (negative) consequences and forces.

If they are born invincibly enlightened, then we might see an era of peace. If they are born invincibly carnal-minded, then I might buy stock options in the Avengers team.
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

7. Likes PatriotDani91 liked this post
    Henck

As with any race, there will always be the smarter ones, and the stupid ones.
    If these kids reach mental maturity before losing invincibility, they would be able to work with the adults, and eventually start some form of an organization to control the kids.
    However, this would take a long time, assuming that in the early years of this crisis (or epidemic), the younglings would take advantage of their "powers".
    Eventually, there would come peace. Think of all the good things kids could do if they were raised properly!

There is also the possibility of children being immune to negative thoughts or actions, as eye4magic has stated.

Notwithstanding, MindTrap028 makes a valid point. Overpopulation would be a big issue.

But why must we assume that the invincible people will react in wicked ways? Could we not raise them cautiously to do what's right?

carpediem

The rate of rate and sexual abuse would be significantly larger. Being a teenager barely under the age of 18, I know that many if not all of my male peers are invincible, they would rape anyone they find attractive above the age of 18 because they wouldn't fear of getting hurt or getting the female pregnant because they are incapable of reproducing until they are 18.