Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mind Trapped By: Gov shut down, bad in what way?

Quote Originally Posted by JimJones8934 View Post

It does, near the bottom:

hmmm, they admit problems with those studies. That, added to the recruitment bias, tends to discredit the "conservatives love their country more, see? They are more likely to serve in uniform" argument. Not even mentioning that I disagree that serving in uniform is any measure of one's patriotism.

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
    You espouse a belief in Great Leader who in your eyes is a divinely ordained headman. His name is Obama. And if he told you to worship these other cats you have listed above, you would. What's your point?

huh? Obama is the duly elected President. You have no support of the statement "You espouse a belief in Great Leader who in your eyes is a divinely ordained headman". I'll pretend I didn't read it.

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

What, exactly, is 'my side' ?
    Those whom you support and vote for, I'm guessing on the right and that you probably fit in somewhere republican/independent/conservative/tea party.

---------- Post added at 06:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 AM ----------

I wouldn't.
    and you'd be wrong.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    hmmm, they admit problems with those studies. That, added to the recruitment bias, tends to discredit the "conservatives love their country more, see? They are more likely to serve in uniform" argument. Not even mentioning that I disagree that serving in uniform is any measure of one's patriotism
    I agree that there's some recruitment bias but I am just arguing the specific point that there are more conservatives in the military than there are liberals.

I am definitely not at all saying that conservatives love their country more because there are more conservative soldiers. Nor am I saying that serving is a measure of patriotism either.

I'm just following SG's point that there are more conservatives in the military. As a side note, looking for more evidence I came across a military thread discussing this -
    http://forums.military.com/eve/forum.../9640047461001. It's pretty much as conservative as it gets -

- I would say that that 95 percent of the military personnel I interact with on a daily basis, and have political discussions with, are conservative.

- 157, from my experience I'd say about 75% were Republicans. While 25% were Democrats.

With some gems:
    - Out of those 25% democrats only a few of those actually stayed in. The liberals only claim to support us. But their votes and actions speek louder than their words.

- Definately conservative. You see conservatives love our country and are willing to defend it. While most liberals (not all) really don't like our country and would rather have others defend it for them.

- I'm a huge conservative (like you seem to be), so why are you being a jerk?

I couldn't get past the first page and I know this isn't a scientific poll but SG may have the numbers. Though that said, I wouldn't know how many would join him in his treason.

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly, I'd like to see something a little more scientific. Since it is volunteer based and many people do and say plenty to get along in their jobs.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just following SG's point that there are more conservatives in the military
    Right, and they also tend to vote Republican.

Though that said, I wouldn't know how many would join him in his treason.
    Humm, so you're accusing Someguy of wanting to commit treason??

Can we just have one thread without mentioning Hitler?
    Here you go.
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

huh? Obama is the duly elected President. You have no support of the statement "You espouse a belief in Great Leader who in your eyes is a divinely ordained headman". I'll pretend I didn't read it.
    I have support indeed. It is saturated in every single post you make on ODN. It is clear as day, to me, that you worship him, as much as any Liberal can tolerate that term. Not that I really care. You can worship whomever you want. It's a free country. You can pretend not to read that as well.

Those whom you support and vote for, I'm guessing on the right and that you probably fit in somewhere republican/independent/conservative/tea party
    So you are admitting that you have absolutely no clue as to what my "side" is exactly, however, in the previous statement you made, you put me in a nice little box, with absolutely no evidence or support, with what we would might as Christian Fundamentalist.

This is a common issue with Liberals and one of the many reasons I have absolutely not one single shred of respect for any hardcore Progressive such as yourself. You guys love to assign people who disagree with you titles and labels that you think harms them or discredits them in some way and do it without a shred of evidence or, even worse, a shred of caring as to whether or not what you are saying is accurate. Your only goal is to make sure that you harm someone else and discredit them as much as possible because generally, you lack the intellectual capability of doing it with any honor.

and you'd be wrong.
    Doubtful.

---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Though that said, I wouldn't know how many would join him in his treason.
    Revolution is treason? How exactly do you justify that? Where the Founders guilty of treason?
    I will no longer be replying to any post from a Liberal going forward. I will continue, as normal, to discuss topics and engage in intellectual exchanges with non-leftist

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Where the Founders guilty of treason?
    Actually SG, the British did charge most of the signers of the Declaration of Independence with treason and many of them were arrested and tortured. However, they were great heroes to Americans then and today.

I'm not sure where JJ is coming from on this unless he embraces an early British mentality toward those who pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.
    "The universe is immaterial-mental and spiritual.” --"The Mental Universe” | Nature
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely.

---------- Post added at 06:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

I have support indeed. It is saturated in every single post you make on ODN. It is clear as day, to me, that you worship him, as much as any Liberal can tolerate that term. Not that I really care. You can worship whomever you want. It's a free country. You can pretend not to read that as well.
    Without support the comment is considered retracted. Please don't use it again.

---------- Post added at 06:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

So you are admitting that you have absolutely no clue as to what my "side" is exactly, however, in the previous statement you made, you put me in a nice little box, with absolutely no evidence or support, with what we would might as Christian Fundamentalist.

I put you in a pretty big tent, that you're in there with the likes of the Westboro Baptist Church isn't my problem. The likes of you is always too happy to put progressives in with unsavory types.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely.
    It was treason against the Crown and a King.
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

JJ: Though that said, I wouldn't know how many would join him in his treason.
    Revolution is treason? How exactly do you justify that?
    Was McVeigh a revolutionary?

Yes, against the Crown.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Was McVeigh a revolutionary?
    revolutionary: A revolutionary is defined as a person who supports political or social change.

McVeigh wanted revenge against the government.

"McVeigh, a militia movement sympathizer and Gulf War veteran, sought revenge against the federal government for their handling of the Waco Siege."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh

George Washington was a revolutionary.
    Gandhi was a revolutionary.
    Martin Luther King was a revolutionary.
    to name just a few...

These movers/shakers were after political and social change.
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eye4magic View Post
    revolutionary: A revolutionary is defined as a person who supports political or social change.

McVeigh wanted revenge against the government.

"McVeigh, a militia movement sympathizer and Gulf War veteran, sought revenge against the federal government for their handling of the Waco Siege."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh

George Washington was a revolutionary.
    Gandhi was a revolutionary.
    Martin Luther King was a revolutionary.
    to name just a few...

These movers/shakers were after political and social change.
    Read on to the second paragraph:

McVeigh hoped to inspire a revolt against what he considered to be a tyrannical federal government.

Sounds like a revolutionary to me.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Read on to the second paragraph:

McVeigh hoped to inspire a revolt against what he considered to be a tyrannical federal government.me
    Lots of people hope JJ. The movers and shakers, the real revolutionaries, that bring about real lasting change, make it happen. They objectify hope.
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of people hope JJ. The movers and shakers, the real revolutionaries, that bring about real lasting change, make it happen. They objectify hope.
    So would SG and his seditious friends be revolutionaries if they succeed?

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

So would SG and his seditious friends be revolutionaries if they succeed?
    Do you mean to ask is SG part of mind-set that thinks government is getting too large, too powerful, too over-reaching, too intrusive and incurred way too much debt and thus SG supports political and social change?

I’m sure he can respond to your question better then I can.

"Most bad government has grown out of too much government." Thomas Jefferson
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean to ask is SG part of mind-set that thinks government is getting too large, too powerful, too over-reaching, too intrusive and incurred way too much debt and thus SG supports political and social change?

I’m sure he can respond to your question better then I can.

"Most bad government has grown out of too much government." Thomas Jefferson
    No, I means specifically, since you are the arbiter as to who is a revolutionary, is SG, who has already admitted he would like to see liberals die, that he knows people that feel similarly and is advocating civil war, is SG a revolutionary?

Also, could Obama be considered a revolutionary per your own definition: he's certainly a mover & shaker, has brought about lasting change and objectifying Hope (for the uninsured, the poor & the gay).

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

No, I means specifically, since you are the arbiter as to who is a revolutionary, is SG, who has already admitted he would like to see liberals die, that he knows people that feel similarly and is advocating civil war, is SG a revolutionary?
    You’re funny JJ. How would I know what’s in SG's heart? How would you know unless he chooses to share that with you.

Also, could Obama be considered a revolutionary per your own definition:
    History will eventually tell us who the movers and shakers of our day are. Also, whatever changes we may obverse in the small slice of our lifetime, may or may not survive the test of time.
    Last edited by eye4magic; October 20th, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=eye4magic;527120]You’re funny JJ. How would I know what’s in SG's heart? How would you know unless he chooses to share that with you.
    [Quote]

Earlier in the thread he said:

---Quote (Originally by Someguy)---
    Perhaps this union needs to be torn apart. Especially if it is going to be controlled by a bunch of short-sighted Liberals who use their manipulation of the poor and ignorant to force their sickening ideology down our throats. I much rather have another Civil War before living under a Liberally dominated society. The Right wouldnt have much to fear from a Civil War. 75-80% of the military is Conservative. Most warriors are Conservative. It wouldn't be much of a problem to kill pretty much every single Liberal in the country if we so desired. Thankfully, there are some controlling factors, one reason I support abortion. Since the overwhelmingly vast majority of abortions are done on Liberal women that would in all liklihood produce more Liberals, that is a good thing.
    So would he count as a revolutionary?

History will eventually tell us who the movers and shakers of our day are. Also, whatever changes we may obverse in the small slice of our lifetime, may or may not survive the test of time.
    We are be taking about two senses of the word revolutionary here. Above you can see SG suggesting an actual civil war and you are using it in a more modern sense.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

So would he count as a revolutionary?
    A revolutionary generally makes things happen. They bring (or are a catalysts toward) about some kind of significant political/social change to the surface, out of the realm of ideas and opinions.

Ideas, opinions, discussion, debate is all fine and good. But words are just that – words.

Now I will put but my Mod hat on: Debate on ODN does not revolve around the person debating or whether he is this or that. What SG is or is not is not up for debate. In that SG has stated an opinion, you are free to debate the points of his opinion. If you have any questions about this, feel free to post them in the Ask the Staff forum.
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

A revolutionary generally makes things happen. They bring (or are a catalysts toward) about some kind of significant political/social change to the surface, out of the realm of ideas and opinions.

Ideas, opinions, discussion, debate is all fine and good. But words are just that – words.

Now I will put but my Mod hat on: Debate on ODN does not revolve around the person debating or whether he is this or that. What SG is or is not is not up for debate. In that SG has stated an opinion, you are free to debate the points of his opinion. If you have any questions about this, feel free to post them in the Ask the Staff forum.
    You're the one that jumped into this! I feel entrapped and not a little perturbed that advocating violence against other members (ie liberals) seems to be fine.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

You're the one that jumped into this! I feel entrapped and not a little perturbed that advocating violence against other members (ie liberals) seems to be fine.
    You, sir Jones, began this personal accusation: JJ; "Though that said, I wouldn't know how many would join him in his [SG] treason."

So assuming you have retracted that claim, you are free to debate or start a tread on the subject of treason or revolutions if you wish. This thread is not about SG.
    [Eye4magic]
    Super Moderator

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast