Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 127
  1. #101
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    You've argued no concept of free will. Please do so and be specific as I've previously asked.
    Been there done that. Either read my posts and supporting links or bow out. Either way. In case you are unable to find it, I've made it easy for you
    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...l=1#post554620
    Post #91.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  2. #102
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Been there done that. Either read my posts and supporting links or bow out. Either way. In case you are unable to find it, I've made it easy for you
    http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/s...l=1#post554620
    Post #91.
    It seems you said free will is moral responsibility. Is that right? Your source doesn't say that. It says it is connected to moral responsibility.

    Here's what the Catholic Church has to say about it: (Oh, it's derived from the bible, there are links in the source)

    "ARTICLE 3
    MAN'S FREEDOM

    1730 God created man a rational being, conferring on him the dignity of a person who can initiate and control his own actions. "God willed that man should be 'left in the hand of his own counsel,' so that he might of his own accord seek his Creator and freely attain his full and blessed perfection by cleaving to him."26

    Man is rational and therefore like God; he is created with free will and is master over his acts.27
    I. FREEDOM AND RESPONSIBILITY

    1731 Freedom is the power, rooted in reason and will, to act or not to act, to do this or that, and so to perform deliberate actions on one's own responsibility. By free will one shapes one's own life. Human freedom is a force for growth and maturity in truth and goodness; it attains its perfection when directed toward God, our beatitude.

    1732 As long as freedom has not bound itself definitively to its ultimate good which is God, there is the possibility of choosing between good and evil, and thus of growing in perfection or of failing and sinning. This freedom characterizes properly human acts. It is the basis of praise or blame, merit or reproach.

    1733 The more one does what is good, the freer one becomes. There is no true freedom except in the service of what is good and just. The choice to disobey and do evil is an abuse of freedom and leads to "the slavery of sin."28

    1734 Freedom makes man responsible for his acts to the extent that they are voluntary. Progress in virtue, knowledge of the good, and ascesis enhance the mastery of the will over its acts.

    1735 Imputability and responsibility for an action can be diminished or even nullified by ignorance, inadvertence, duress, fear, habit, inordinate attachments, and other psychological or social factors.

    1736 Every act directly willed is imputable to its author:

    Thus the Lord asked Eve after the sin in the garden: "What is this that you have done?"29 He asked Cain the same question.30 The prophet Nathan questioned David in the same way after he committed adultery with the wife of Uriah and had him murdered.31

    An action can be indirectly voluntary when it results from negligence regarding something one should have known or done: for example, an accident arising from ignorance of traffic laws.

    1737 An effect can be tolerated without being willed by its agent; for instance, a mother's exhaustion from tending her sick child. A bad effect is not imputable if it was not willed either as an end or as a means of an action, e.g., a death a person incurs in aiding someone in danger. For a bad effect to be imputable it must be foreseeable and the agent must have the possibility of avoiding it, as in the case of manslaughter caused by a drunken driver.

    1738 Freedom is exercised in relationships between human beings. Every human person, created in the image of God, has the natural right to be recognized as a free and responsible being. All owe to each other this duty of respect. The right to the exercise of freedom, especially in moral and religious matters, is an inalienable requirement of the dignity of the human person. This right must be recognized and protected by civil authority within the limits of the common good and public order.32"

    lol, that last part is crucial.

    So, again, I see nothing in what I have said that takes away your free will, that is the ability to choose between good and evil (moral or immoral).
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  3. #103
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    It seems you said free will is moral responsibility. Is that right? Your source doesn't say that. It says it is connected to moral responsibility.

    Here's what the Catholic Church has to say about it: (Oh, it's derived from the bible, there are links in the source)

    "ARTICLE 3
    MAN'S FREEDOM

    1730 God created man a rational being, conferring on him the dignity of a person who can initiate and control his own actions. "God willed that man should be 'left in the hand of his own counsel,' so that he might of his own accord seek his Creator and freely attain his full and blessed perfection by cleaving to him."26

    Man is rational and therefore like God; he is created with free will and is master over his acts.27
    I. FREEDOM AND RESPONSIBILITY

    1731 Freedom is the power, rooted in reason and will, to act or not to act, to do this or that, and so to perform deliberate actions on one's own responsibility. By free will one shapes one's own life. Human freedom is a force for growth and maturity in truth and goodness; it attains its perfection when directed toward God, our beatitude.

    1732 As long as freedom has not bound itself definitively to its ultimate good which is God, there is the possibility of choosing between good and evil, and thus of growing in perfection or of failing and sinning. This freedom characterizes properly human acts. It is the basis of praise or blame, merit or reproach.

    1733 The more one does what is good, the freer one becomes. There is no true freedom except in the service of what is good and just. The choice to disobey and do evil is an abuse of freedom and leads to "the slavery of sin."28

    1734 Freedom makes man responsible for his acts to the extent that they are voluntary. Progress in virtue, knowledge of the good, and ascesis enhance the mastery of the will over its acts.

    1735 Imputability and responsibility for an action can be diminished or even nullified by ignorance, inadvertence, duress, fear, habit, inordinate attachments, and other psychological or social factors.

    1736 Every act directly willed is imputable to its author:

    Thus the Lord asked Eve after the sin in the garden: "What is this that you have done?"29 He asked Cain the same question.30 The prophet Nathan questioned David in the same way after he committed adultery with the wife of Uriah and had him murdered.31

    An action can be indirectly voluntary when it results from negligence regarding something one should have known or done: for example, an accident arising from ignorance of traffic laws.

    1737 An effect can be tolerated without being willed by its agent; for instance, a mother's exhaustion from tending her sick child. A bad effect is not imputable if it was not willed either as an end or as a means of an action, e.g., a death a person incurs in aiding someone in danger. For a bad effect to be imputable it must be foreseeable and the agent must have the possibility of avoiding it, as in the case of manslaughter caused by a drunken driver.

    1738 Freedom is exercised in relationships between human beings. Every human person, created in the image of God, has the natural right to be recognized as a free and responsible being. All owe to each other this duty of respect. The right to the exercise of freedom, especially in moral and religious matters, is an inalienable requirement of the dignity of the human person. This right must be recognized and protected by civil authority within the limits of the common good and public order.32"

    lol, that last part is crucial.

    So, again, I see nothing in what I have said that takes away your free will, that is the ability to choose between good and evil (moral or immoral).
    It is nice that you've chosen to highlight the sentences you wanted to cherry pick, but from your own set of quotes:
    "1734 Freedom makes man responsible for his acts to the extent that they are voluntary. Progress in virtue, knowledge of the good, and ascesis enhance the mastery of the will over its acts."

    Key word: voluntary. Taxation. Forcing someone to pay for your charity isn't virtuous. Paying based on a requirement is not virtuous.

    Even the sections you made highlighted do not support your position. Take for example 1732.

    1732 As long as freedom has not bound itself definitively to its ultimate good which is God, there is the possibility of choosing between good and evil, and thus of growing in perfection or of failing and sinning. This freedom characterizes properly human acts. It is the basis of praise or blame, merit or reproach.
    It is acknowledging that man has the possibility to choose between good and evil and that judgement (i.e. praise, blame, merit, reproach) all follow from the choices made. You are reading this as some sort of mandate to limit freedom. Nothing could be further from the truth. Again, just go back to the original parable. The Samaritan did good of his own free will and asked no one else (certainly did not mandate anyone else) follow his course of action. This is the freedom of our responsibility. Our actions only have merit when we act with the freedom of our responsibility. If I am forced to care for a sick child, I am not being virtuous. When I send money to the government, knowing failure would lead to prison, I am not acting virtuously. It does not matter what the tax money is being used to do. It is not an act of my own responsibility. It is not a sign of virtue. Nothing you have offered contradicts this position, and as I've shown, your quotes actually support my position.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  4. Likes Squatch347 liked this post
  5. #104
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    *sheesh* talk about cherry-picking:

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    It is nice that you've chosen to highlight the sentences you wanted to cherry pick, but from your own set of quotes:
    "1734 Freedom makes man responsible for his acts to the extent that they are voluntary. Progress in virtue, knowledge of the good, and ascesis enhance the mastery of the will over its acts."

    Key word: voluntary. Taxation. Forcing someone to pay for your charity isn't virtuous. Paying based on a requirement is not virtuous.
    If there wasn't a commandment from Jesus - "go and do likewise" - I might agree. But there is.

    He also told us to pay our taxes and that was regardless of what they were used for.

    So, again, your free will is in no way hampered by a law that coincides with a moral teaching of Christ.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  6. #105
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    *sheesh* talk about cherry-picking:



    If there wasn't a commandment from Jesus - "go and do likewise" - I might agree. But there is.

    He also told us to pay our taxes and that was regardless of what they were used for.

    So, again, your free will is in no way hampered by a law that coincides with a moral teaching of Christ.
    Again, until you actually understand the meaning of free will from a Christian perspective, there isn't really anything to debate. You insist on using the term incorrectly despite my repeated corrections. If you want to refute my definition/usage, that's fine. However, up to this point all you have done is either ignore it or simply argue, uh-uh. Neither of which are valid positions.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  7. #106
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Again, until you actually understand the meaning of free will from a Christian perspective, there isn't really anything to debate. You insist on using the term incorrectly despite my repeated corrections. If you want to refute my definition/usage, that's fine. However, up to this point all you have done is either ignore it or simply argue, uh-uh. Neither of which are valid positions.
    How have I mischaracterized it?

    Maybe explain what you meant by the keyword being "voluntary".
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  8. #107
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    How have I mischaracterized it?

    Maybe explain what you meant by the keyword being "voluntary".
    I fully explained it and offered an example based upon the parable you provided in post #103.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  9. #108
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    I fully explained it and offered an example based upon the parable you provided in post #103.
    Ok, "The Samaritan did good of his own free will and asked no one else (certainly did not mandate anyone else) follow his course of action." quote from you post 103.

    But there's more to it than that, isn't there? Because the lord commands us to "go and do likewise".

    So, again, what is the problem?
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  10. #109
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Ok, "The Samaritan did good of his own free will and asked no one else (certainly did not mandate anyone else) follow his course of action." quote from you post 103.

    But there's more to it than that, isn't there? Because the lord commands us to "go and do likewise".

    So, again, what is the problem?
    Key word, God. Not governor. Not neighbor. God. If you wish to follow God's will, it is a choice. You ask if there is more to it than that? I don't know. I guess that's your argument to make and I have not seen you put forth a compelling one to this point.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  11. #110
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Key word, God. Not governor. Not neighbor. God. If you wish to follow God's will, it is a choice. You ask if there is more to it than that? I don't know. I guess that's your argument to make and I have not seen you put forth a compelling one to this point.
    Indeed, and you also have a choice to follow the governor's or neighbor's will or not. So really your whole free will argument is irrelevant.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  12. #111
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Indeed, and you also have a choice to follow the governor's or neighbor's will or not. So really your whole free will argument is irrelevant.
    Well, since you see no difference in making a choice and being mandated to pay a tax, not much left to say here. This is the upside down world we live in.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  13. #112
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Well, since you see no difference in making a choice and being mandated to pay a tax, not much left to say here. This is the upside down world we live in.
    Yes, it's the same choice you have to follow the "mandated" commandments or not.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  14. #113
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Yes, it's the same choice you have to follow the "mandated" commandments or not.
    That makes absolutely no sense. If you offer a parable to demonstrate your point, and that parable turns out to support the opposition view, shouldn't you just acknowledge that? I mean you have offered this argument which, at every turn, has been demonstrated to be weak. Your parable. Your selected bible quotes. Even the basic reasoning you have deployed. None of it supports your claim. You have reached a conclusion and have decided to shoehorn all facts to support it. In response to your statement above. No. It isn't the same. You have simply doubled back onto your original point, never countering the points I've offered. You've simply argued something is because you've claimed it to be so. You have clearly run out of ideas. Yet, you continue....
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  15. #114
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    That makes absolutely no sense. If you offer a parable to demonstrate your point, and that parable turns out to support the opposition view, shouldn't you just acknowledge that? I mean you have offered this argument which, at every turn, has been demonstrated to be weak. Your parable. Your selected bible quotes. Even the basic reasoning you have deployed. None of it supports your claim. You have reached a conclusion and have decided to shoehorn all facts to support it. In response to your statement above. No. It isn't the same. You have simply doubled back onto your original point, never countering the points I've offered. You've simply argued something is because you've claimed it to be so. You have clearly run out of ideas. Yet, you continue....
    Hello, kettle? Pot calling.

    How isn't it the same?
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  16. #115
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Hello, kettle? Pot calling.

    How isn't it the same?
    You can keep asking, but I've properly explained and supported this claim. You'd like to continue in circles, each time pretending the past never happened. Seriously, unless you have something new and/or interesting, we are done.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  17. #116
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    You can keep asking, but I've properly explained and supported this claim. You'd like to continue in circles, each time pretending the past never happened. Seriously, unless you have something new and/or interesting, we are done.
    My initial claim:

    "So the Samaritan paid for the healthcare of the hated foreigner. What does this tell us about our society where we often hear complaining about "illegal aliens" showing up at our emergency rooms for care? Doesn't Jesus say we should take care of them(answer: yes, never refuted by you)?

    How about when people claim that constitutional rights do not apply to non-citizens? Is this true? Does morality stop at a borderline?(answer: no, never refuted by you"

    You "None of it supports your claim." post 114

    Looks like a nyu-uh response from you if I've ever seen one.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  18. #117
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    My initial claim:

    "So the Samaritan paid for the healthcare of the hated foreigner. What does this tell us about our society where we often hear complaining about "illegal aliens" showing up at our emergency rooms for care? Doesn't Jesus say we should take care of them(answer: yes, never refuted by you)?

    How about when people claim that constitutional rights do not apply to non-citizens? Is this true? Does morality stop at a borderline?(answer: no, never refuted by you"

    You "None of it supports your claim." post 114

    Looks like a nyu-uh response from you if I've ever seen one.
    You are just creating a big dizzying circle of nonsense. Until you understand/recognize the meaning of free will, there is nothing more to debate. From you post above, it is clear you are still either ignorant to its meaning or in denial.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  19. #118
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    You are just creating a big dizzying circle of nonsense. Until you understand/recognize the meaning of free will, there is nothing more to debate. From you post above, it is clear you are still either ignorant to its meaning or in denial.
    Another nyu-uh moment.

    Perhaps you think there is a difference between free-will under a state and under a deity?
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

  20. #119
    ODN Community Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    6,144
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Another nyu-uh moment.

    Perhaps you think there is a difference between free-will under a state and under a deity?
    Nope. You miss again. You're still refusing to acknowledge the definition of free will I've provided. Keep sluggin' slugger.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

  21. #120
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who is my neighbor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibelsd View Post
    Nope. You miss again. You're still refusing to acknowledge the definition of free will I've provided. Keep sluggin' slugger.
    I'm not sure how since I provided way more support than you ever did and a clearer definition related to the debate...not just a link war as you did.

    "the possibility of choosing between good and evil" for starters...post 102.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

 

 
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •