Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: What era of music is the best?

Voters
3. This poll is closed
  • Modern

1 33.33%
  • Old

0 0%
  • Both just as good

2 66.67%
    Post Thanks / Like

What music is better- modern or older?

What sort of music is better? Modern music like Avicci and Rizzle Kicks, or older music, eg. 70's. I realise that there is no correct answer for this question, and that it falls down to a matter of opinion, but I'm just interested to see what the majority of people think.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What music is better- modern or older?

I like any music that isn't boring.

I will say that as time goes on the range of inspiration to draw on for music grows, so modern music is going to have a wider diversity of ideas than the past (that is if you look beyond what is popular at any given moment.)

Personally I have a strong fondness for blues rock and I do think the late 70s were a high point for that genre. But there was nothing quite like daft punk in the 70s so I don't have a favorite era.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I'm saying Modern, only because of my current mood. Catch me another day, and I may argue for Old.
    To serve man.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realize the 70s was old
    I typically cite original research papers and reviews that are available only to a personal or institutional subscriptional. If you wish a PDF copy of the papers I cite, send me a request.

5. Thanks Aspoestertjie thanked for this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of modern and old music I like. Then again, there are lots of it I don't like either way.
    >>]Aspoestertjie[<<

ODN Rules

Join our Facebook Page here!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbk1203 View Post
    What sort of music is better? Modern music like Avicci and Rizzle Kicks, or older music, eg. 70's. I realise that there is no correct answer for this question, and that it falls down to a matter of opinion, but I'm just interested to see what the majority of people think.
    Avicci, and I had to look up who he is, has a song called "Seek Bromance" so, without ever actually hearing him, if that is the basis of our comparison, then the 70's wins by default.
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

Post Thanks / Like

Define "better." There are good and bad points to both old school and new school music, though some bleed back and forth. For example, new music tends to have better timing since most music is now recorded to a click track. In my opinion, older music in general has more "soul," at least in the pop/rock genres, because they aren't as far removed from their blues and jazz influences. I'm a drummer and old and new affects me differently. For example, given the choice John Bonham is the drummer that I would rather listen to above anyone else. However, Danny Carey motivates me to play more. Buddy Rich just makes me feel insignificant - though for that matter, so do most decent drummers.

The one thing I can say is that calling one genre or style of music "better" than another is counterproductive to the whole music listening experience. I did that when I was a child/teenager and as a result missed out on a lot of really great music that could have influenced my current tastes and desire to play music.