Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Women Should Not Have Equal Rights

As women have gained equal rights with men over the past two hundred years, divorce rates have increased causing more broken homes with children deprived of the benefit of having two parents. Two-thirds of divorces are initiated by women.

As women increasingly moved into the workforce, real incomes for men have declined due to the increased labor supply. This makes it far more difficult and unusual for a family to survive on one income, forcing more women into the workforce, creating a death spiral for traditional family roles of a working father and stay-at-home nurturing mother.

As women have gained the right to vote and have actively used that vote, their tendency to vote for liberal politicians and liberal programs has increased welfare dependency by unwed mothers and their children, subsidizing and thereby increasing the incidence of single parent families living in poverty. Women are more inclined to view the government as a substitute father, to provide when a husband is absent. Further expansion of welfare programs for the elderly and unemployed are bankrupting our nation. If women didn't vote, we wouldn't have the enormous debt and deficit our nation faces.

The current expectation of husband and wife acting as equals is unrealistic and unnatural. Women and men, as groups, are not equal physically, mentally or emotionally. And as individuals there are too many situations that arise in a marriage where disagreements can occur for them be solved by agreement. How then, should irreconcilable disagreements be resolved? One person must have the ultimate decision making authority in the marriage to resolve such situations.

Inequality is better for families and the general welfare of our country as a whole. Women should not have equal rights.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Women Should Not Have Equal Rights

You're right.

Inequality is so much better.

That's why I propose that men should have less rights!
    ~Zealous

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    As women have gained equal rights with men over the past two hundred years, divorce rates have increased causing more broken homes with children deprived of the benefit of having two parents. Two-thirds of divorces are initiated by women.
    Why should a woman stay in a relationship with a husband she hates? Note also that the woman ends up with the child so she's not shirking her parental duties, only that her husband likely is.

As women increasingly moved into the workforce, real incomes for men have declined due to the increased labor supply. This makes it far more difficult and unusual for a family to survive on one income, forcing more women into the workforce, creating a death spiral for traditional family roles of a working father and stay-at-home nurturing mother.
    Yes, but in some cases, a woman could earn more than a man - it is not necessarily the case that it is the other way around. And also, many families operate on two incomes if they can; so the only people losing out are those that aren't as good as the women who you are purporting to have replaced them. In effect, you are supporting a more mediocre workforce for no reason.
    Surely it is better for the productivity of the country as a whole to ensure that the best jobs go to the best people no matter their gender.

As women have gained the right to vote and have actively used that vote, their tendency to vote for liberal politicians and liberal programs has increased welfare dependency by unwed mothers and their children, subsidizing and thereby increasing the incidence of single parent families living in poverty. Women are more inclined to view the government as a substitute father, to provide when a husband is absent. Further expansion of welfare programs for the elderly and unemployed are bankrupting our nation. If women didn't vote, we wouldn't have the enormous debt and deficit our nation faces.
    But how would you remove that vote?

The current expectation of husband and wife acting as equals is unrealistic and unnatural. Women and men, as groups, are not equal physically, mentally or emotionally. And as individuals there are too many situations that arise in a marriage where disagreements can occur for them be solved by agreement. How then, should irreconcilable disagreements be resolved? One person must have the ultimate decision making authority in the marriage to resolve such situations.
    Modern relationships, personal or business, in a modern world usually relies on cooperation and negotiation and not by fiat from some authority figure. This produces the best set of outcomes because you have more minds on the matter and you get to see the merits of different arguments play out. Then there are trade offs and reciprocation down the road, thus ensuring that both sides wins equally throughout time.

Inequality is better for families and the general welfare of our country as a whole. Women should not have equal rights.
    Do you also have similar views as to the descendents of former slaves? This argument also applies there too. What about foreigners or other non-whites, non-English speakers? How far does this 'tradition' argument go? I know this OP is semi-tongue-in-cheek but you seem to arguing for a world where the white-man reigned supreme and although that might have worked out well if you fell into that specific demographic, there is largely no going back to it. Once people have tasted freedom, it becomes a little hard to take it away even if you do make a convincing argument.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimJones8934 View Post
    Why should a woman stay in a relationship with a husband she hates? Note also that the woman ends up with the child so she's not shirking her parental duties, only that her husband likely is.
    Because it is for the good of the child. haven't you heard that term before?

Yes, but in some cases, a woman could earn more than a man - it is not necessarily the case that it is the other way around. And also, many families operate on two incomes if they can; so the only people losing out are those that aren't as good as the women who you are purporting to have replaced them. In effect, you are supporting a more mediocre workforce for no reason.
    Surely it is better for the productivity of the country as a whole to ensure that the best jobs go to the best people no matter their gender.
    Women upset the workplace. have you seen the amount of personal things littered around the workplace about people they have feelings for? women will make men think of their co workers more, distracting them. hell, a whole decision might be made with sex in mind.

But how would you remove that vote?

Modern relationships, personal or business, in a modern world usually relies on cooperation and negotiation and not by fiat from some authority figure. This produces the best set of outcomes because you have more minds on the matter and you get to see the merits of different arguments play out. Then there are trade offs and reciprocation down the road, thus ensuring that both sides wins equally throughout time.

Do you also have similar views as to the descendents of former slaves? This argument also applies there too. What about foreigners or other non-whites, non-English speakers? How far does this 'tradition' argument go? I know this OP is semi-tongue-in-cheek but you seem to arguing for a world where the white-man reigned supreme and although that might have worked out well if you fell into that specific demographic, there is largely no going back to it. Once people have tasted freedom, it becomes a little hard to take it away even if you do make a convincing argument.
    Which freedom will they be robbed of? will their lifestyles change because they cannot say what they want? what good is that first amendment anyways? how often do you need to say what you want? it is common knowledge that the only thing people will say that is not what they should be allowed to say remains unsaid, as, it is defamatory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlatan2 View Post
    Because it is for the good of the child. haven't you heard that term before?
    How is it good for the child if his parents are fighting all the time?

Women upset the workplace. have you seen the amount of personal things littered around the workplace about people they have feelings for? women will make men think of their co workers more, distracting them. hell, a whole decision might be made with sex in mind.
    Most men have sex on their minds anyway. With or without actual women being present. I think women add to the workplace in many ways so you are clearly wrong on this.

Which freedom will they be robbed of? will their lifestyles change because they cannot say what they want? what good is that first amendment anyways? how often do you need to say what you want? it is common knowledge that the only thing people will say that is not what they should be allowed to say remains unsaid, as, it is defamatory.
    I can't say what I want anyway and it is all due to right wing men. That has nothing to do with women. I think if right wing men were not allowed to work then the world might be a better place.

Post Thanks / Like

How is it good for the child if his parents are fighting all the time?
    Because the parents must not fight, for the sake of the child. a common goal.

Most men have sex on their minds anyway. With or without actual women being present. I think women add to the workplace in many ways so you are clearly wrong on this.
    If they think of sex all the time, as well as getting the attention of customers and such of the opposite sex, it is harmful. if women add to the workplace, they should be grouped together somewhere else and work. have you seen a woman's desk before? it is full of personal rubbish.

I can't say what I want anyway and it is all due to right wing men. That has nothing to do with women. I think if right wing men were not allowed to work then the world might be a better place.
    Then there would be right win women working, and, that leads to sexual tension between the two companies.

Post Thanks / Like

Because the parents must not fight, for the sake of the child. a common goal.
    Right that why divorce sometimes is a better solution. If you don't expect men and women to be in the same workplace together how can you expect a marriage to work!

If they think of sex all the time, as well as getting the attention of customers and such of the opposite sex, it is harmful. if women add to the workplace, they should be grouped together somewhere else and work. have you seen a woman's desk before? it is full of personal rubbish.
    It's quite pleasurable actually. I don't see the harm at all.

[
    Then there would be right win women working, and, that leads to sexual tension between the two companies.
    Not really. In a modern world everyone respects social boundaries so problems tend to be rare on that front.

Post Thanks / Like

Right that why divorce sometimes is a better solution. If you don't expect men and women to be in the same workplace together how can you expect a marriage to work!

It's quite pleasurable actually. I don't see the harm at all.

[
    Not really. In a modern world everyone respects social boundaries so problems tend to be rare on that front.
    Well, when women marry men, they must stay out of fights for the sake of the child.

Your 'pleasure' is a distraction. just because in today's workplace they hire three people to do one person's job is because of women and men flirting or trying to impress each other. if the men were not waiting for calls or not being pro active, then they are lazy and should be replaced by women. is it true that you spend time with your feet up, if you work, and wait on change instead of being the change?

If the workplace is full of men and women, why are the best schools - getting the best results - boys or girls schools?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, when women marry men, they must stay out of fights for the sake of the child.
    But then that would put them at a disadvantage with their husbands. Why couldn't the men stay out fight

Your 'pleasure' is a distraction. just because in today's workplace they hire three people to do one person's job is because of women and men flirting or trying to impress each other. if the men were not waiting for calls or not being pro active, then they are lazy and should be replaced by women. is it true that you spend time with your feet up, if you work, and wait on change instead of being the change?
    I don't think it affects productivity at all. I'm not sure what your exact scenario is. Do you have some real examples?

If the workplace is full of men and women, why are the best schools - getting the best results - boys or girls schools?
    Girls schools.

Post Thanks / Like

But then that would put them at a disadvantage with their husbands. Why couldn't the men stay out fight
    If the parents have a argument, someone is in the wrong. is it always the men? maybe the woman forgot to collect their child from school? it can go both ways.

I don't think it affects productivity at all. I'm not sure what your exact scenario is. Do you have some real examples?
    Okay, say a guy wants to discuss something with another person, and he waits to speak to the other person. then an attractive woman walks in! if the guy was to try to impress her with his information, it might lead to her promising contracts to people, that they have to revoke, and, discredit the company.

If the males were to harass a woman in the workplace.

Girls schools.
    Or boys schools, but, they will not follow this criteria for results if they mix, do they?

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the thing, women don't want to be slaves. They would like to have the liberty to choose their own path in life. In our capitalist world that means being able to earn money for themselves so that they are not entirely dependent on men.

Some men want women to be their slaves. Personally I think that is because they aren't competent enough to hold their own in the emotional or intellectual arena and thus must rely on force or manipulation to get what they want. In my life women cooperate with me because what I want to do is smart and not entirely selfish. I give a **** about them so they give a **** about me.

Now sure, there might be some advantages to having people simply do whatever you tell them with no ability to speak up for themselves, slavery was great for the slave holders after all. It was certainly quite efficient to have intelligent obedient human beings give completely of themselves to you and get little in return. But its also incredibly evil and ultimately wasteful. We've moved on from that.

Women and men are different, but not so different that one deserves more self determination than the other. We can manage to fix issues like broken marriages or fatherless children by a means other than regressing to semi slavery for females. While you may find certain social standards have slipped, the over all prosperity of the society has grown immensely and this happens in every culture where women go from being forced into a given type of life to choosing what type of life they wish to have.

The mistake in thinking so many (both men and women) make is that there is some best or singular way that a given gender or class of people should live their lives. In fact even if there are patterns, each individual is still a case unto themselves. Few women may make excellent soldiers, but that is no reason to say an individual woman with great skill and strength should be barred from being one or that every man must be accepted as one. Many women may well be best suited to home making and child rearing but not every woman is. Where society goes horribly wrong is when it describes what is only the common case to all cases and enforces a kind of one way thinking of conformity that denies the variation of the human spirit and biology.

My wife doesn't work but I didn't force her to make that choice. In fact she felt very guilty at first. But I wanted her to decide her own life. I was willing to support her and happy for her to have a career if she liked. It's her choice and she should choose what is best for her. Now if she was lazy or shiftless then I would not have ever married her. She keeps the house well and she makes money on the side with her software and organizational skills. When I make career choices to leave a job or go to school or what have you, she supports me in making my own choices too, and we both work to support one another choices because we are in love and because we respect one another as fellow human beings.

Frankly, women vote for liberal parties because both most women and liberal politicians understand the value and nature of community, the idea of getting together to cooperatively accomplish a goal. It's not about hand outs or welfare checks or government cheeze, its about cooperation and a spirit of generosity. There is value and wisdom in it and without that wisdom to temper a more competitive and independent spirit we'd all be in pretty bad shape. That said too much cooperation and generosity also gets you in trouble and there is wisdom in the spirit of competition and independent thinking. To few people look for a balance in life and think there is but one kind of wisdom.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Post Thanks / Like

My argument goes like this.

Substitute black for woman in all your arguments and you get the same result. So you want women to be powerless again and property. You want the same for everyone who isn't like you. I just reject your proposition entirely on its face.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mdougie View Post
    My argument goes like this. Substitute black for woman in all your arguments and you get the same result.
    This is a straw man fallacy, and so will be ignored.

So you want women to be powerless again and property.
    Appeal to pity fallacy will be similarly ignored.

I just reject your proposition entirely on its face.
    And you do so without one shred of logic offered to convince anyone to join you.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

This is a straw man fallacy, and so will be ignored.

Appeal to pity fallacy will be similarly ignored.

And you do so without one shred of logic offered to convince anyone to join you.
    Logic? Of course I am logical. Should women be second class citizens again like the olden days? I say no women, and the world are much better off now than when women were treated like property.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Logic? Of course I am logical. Should women be second class citizens again like the olden days? I say no women, and the world are much better off now than when women were treated like property.
    What is your support for the claim that women are better off? Are they better off because they have to work 50 hours a week, when their husbands can't support the family because so many other women in the workforce drive down wages for their husbands? Are they better off because they cannot spend time nurturing their growing children, or because they put off having children until they are sadly too old too have them? Are they better off when they never have children? Are women better off when their fatherless children end up on drugs, drop out of school, or end up in prison? Are women better off because the average family share of the federal debt due to liberal welfare programs is now over 100k? Are women better off because they grow up in single parent poverty, because their mothers divorced their fathers? Yeah, that's all great stuff for women, isn't it.

Finally, in her book “The Happiness Choice,” Marilyn Tam cites some happiness statistics for the female gender:
    Women’s overall level of happiness has decreased compared to what it was 40 years ago...
    •The drop occurs regardless of their financial position, marital status, children, age, or race.
    •According to a 2010 “Working Mother” survey, 40 percent of working women drink heavily to cope with stress and 57 percent said they have misused prescription drugs. http://psychcentral.com/blog/archive...n-are-you-one/

Read this article and understand there are millions of women (my sister is one) like this woman who put off having children for careers, then deeply regret that choice. The wealthier a woman is, the more likely it is to happen. Tell me that they are happier and better off than they would have been staying at home with a satisfying life as a mother and wife, with a husband bringing home enough to support the family. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-children.html

It is common for women putting off marriage and children for careers to have abortions. Here's an article with data on the emotional problems they end up with. Do you consider them better off?

Abortion is not good for women's mental health. With abortion statistics alarmingly high in the United States, we live in a culture with an increasing number of post-abortive women struggling from the profound emotional and psychological consequences of abortion. Many of these women gravely regret their abortions. Science supports this sad reality. In the fall, a meta-analysis was published in the prestigious British Journal of Psychiatry. The report was the most extensive of its kind to date -- the author looked at 22 published studies and data from more than 870,000 women. The results showed that women who have an abortion are at an 81 percent increased risk for mental health problems, including anxiety disorders, depression, drug abuse and suicidal behaviors. The study revealed the shocking statistic that close to 10 percent of all mental health problems in women can be directly attributed to abortion. http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/...#ixzz2sQ589AAb

Again, another study confirming that women are less happy than they were 35 years ago. Doesn't less happy mean worse off, not better?

Women are unhappier than they have been in 35 years. So suggests a study released earlier this week by the National Bureau of Economics. Two economists at U Penn conducted an exhaustive study of happiness and found that women's "subjective well-being" has declined, "both absolutely and relatively to men," as they put it. In fact, though women have historically had higher self-reported levels of happiness than men, today women are "reporting happiness levels" that are "even lower than those of men." (Men's happiness has dropped, too, but not as much as women's.) Now, happiness is notoriously difficult to study - as I noted a few years back when I wrote about progressive women and unhappiness for Slate - but the findings are nonetheless noteworthy. Though women have made gains in every area over the past 35 years - from education to their place in the work force - these gains do not appear, by the study's measures, to translate into actual contentment. http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor...than_ever.html
    Last edited by evensaul; February 4th, 2014 at 08:19 PM.

Lente

I respect every meaning and hope you repect mine.

It's all written in a site where I believe in (evawaseerst.be).

'Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.' (Timothy Leary)

Women once were high elevated above all living things on earth. The gods were simply goddesses. And how incredible as it sounds, it seems that those goddesses really have existed. For 20.000 years (from the first sign of real consciousness some 32.000 ago until 12.000 years ago) you donít see any credible picture or sculpture of a man.

After the mega disasters the super human disappeared and nature took over. Men became the leaders and women became just good enough to bare children. An injustice that dragged on for many thousands of years, and still continues in many countries. So forgive us if we give you the impression to set up women against men. It's not what we want, but the truth has its rights.

Some studies now show that men generally are more intelligent than women. Something that apparently has to do with their larger brain volume. Although other, more credible studies, conclude that brain size has nothing to do with wisdom, maybe a word that has a larger impact than intelligence.

One cannot deny that intellectual development for women over many millennia was a taboo. It would therefore be a miracle if they were as intelligent as men today. But what do we see? Women are as smart (we even think smarter) than men. It appears they have more brain connections. And it looks those connections are the key to wisdom. They would even contribute to the development of a subatomic particle in our brain that -perhaps- we could describe as the soul.

A -more or less- pure soul brings empathy. A trait that cannot come from planet earth. Look around you. All animals are eating each other in the most gruesome ways. They donít have empathy. Empathy does not exist on planet earth except in humans (and a little bit more in women than men).

Men are more egocentric (sorry guys). Look at all statistics of crime.

Men are better in focusing. Something that gives them a questionable advantage. Because the different regions of his brain communicate less with each other, they can focus better than women. Women then again can do several things at once. The cause of the differences, according to speculations of science, we find in natural evolution. Men in prehistoric times did have to hunt, and focus, while women didnít need to focus but could do several things while men were doing what nature obliged them to do: hunt.

Of course we cannot blame scientists when they are searching for answers. Only we donít need to believe all they are saying.

Why women are superior to men.

Long-term studies, including at the University of Valencia, have shown that women typically have more empathy than men (Spanish Journal of Psychology 2009, vol. 12 No1 76-83). Earlier studies had already shown that they have more guilt feelings. Further, they are more spiritual and above all: they can be a fairer judge. Empathy, conscience, sense of injustice, respect for all life, spirituality (even paranormal abilities) ... it are values which fit women better than men (generally spoken). Men are -generally- more focused on personal power and prestige.

From small acts of violence to murder, with everything in between: men commit appalling more crimes than women. They blame their testosterone levels (the so-called male aggression hormone). But it is very questionable whether pedophilia -one of the crimes where they are over represented- has to do with testosterone. Committing crimes seems rather motivated by a shortage of compassion, a shortage of guilt feelings, and an excess of egocentrism.

Compassion and guilt feelings -two superior gifts of humankind- are described as soft. A shame of course. But since on planet earth all that counts for living things is power, itís no more than normal most of us see compassion as soft. And if mankind does not intervene, compassion will disappear. The lust for power will continue to rise. Something where all great prophets have warned us for in the past.

To counter the injustice something has to change thoroughly. Women must obtain the right to take part in politics and elections all over the world. And although they carry their mother instinct, it should not surprise us if more women than men are willing to take the most necessary step: Stop the population growth by birth control.

Although the technology of the future will allow earth to carry some more billions of people, we'd better focus on quality rather than on quantity. In other words, there are enough people on this planet. Let us not make more, but better people. Not power or prestige, but making a 'righteous child' should be the highest goal. More: it should be the only thing that really matters, no matter how soft this may sound. And itís up to women to take the first steps to make this come true.

Although, to encourage men a bit: many men Ėthose you donít hear- are thinking like women. In fact, to give these silent sufferers a chance, candidate leaders (even on a local level) should be highly gifted and highly sensitive (and we opt for more women than men to rule). Itís time for a change. Highly gifted and sensitive people have higher IQ, have more empathy, a strong urge for justice, greater perseverance, they are more spiritual, donít prefer personal power nor material things etc. Now you donít see them at the top because they turn their backs to hypocrisy and intrigue, the two most effective weapons that life on earth uses.

Note: Yes we know that people like Leonard G Horowitz, Jeremiah Wright, Robert B. Strecker, Matilde Krim, Wangari Maathai, Boyd Graves ... insinuated Ėsome more than others- that masses of people are being killed in some way or another Ėwe donít camouflage- to prevent overpopulation. We donít believe that, but itís because we donít want to.

Conclusion: we are living in a very strange world. Some great men know the problem but they don't belong to the happy few, so all they can do is make us aware of the unstoppable overpopulation.

We count on our real leaders to solve the problem on an sincere human way, something that is far more complicated than a lot of short sighted people think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lente View Post

A -more or less- pure soul brings empathy. A trait that cannot come from planet earth. Look around you. All animals are eating each other in the most gruesome ways. They donít have empathy. Empathy does not exist on planet earth except in humans (and a little bit more in women than men).

That is simply not correct. Animals are capable of empathy. My dog has emotions including empathy. There are many YouTube videos that demonstrate animal empathy from risking their lives to save a friend such as a dog dragging another dog off a busy highway or the cheeta that didn't eat a its prey when it discovered that it had babies.

The evidence us everywhere

Post Thanks / Like

There is some truth in the fact that democracy in marriage is impossible and both cannot hold the reins.
    What is the answer if no agreement is possible? Did I hear the word divorce? Human beings often disagree as any debating site will show.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

And, let's look at Bible passages that are absolutely clear in saying that wives do not have equal rights, and should not be co-head of household.

Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. Ephesians 5:22-24

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. Colossians 3:18

Come back, cstamford. Come back and refute my argument.

Post Thanks / Like

And, let's look at Bible passages that are absolutely clear in saying that wives do not have equal rights, and should not be co-head of household.
    The Bible doesn't say that women don't have equal rights; it says they don't have the same rights. A married woman has the right to receive support and protection from her husband; her husband has the right to expect obedience from her.
    The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast