Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Coke SuperBowl Ad - A Conservative Perspective

It baffles me some of the responses to Coke's Superbowl Ad which featured a multi-lingual rendering of America is Beautiful with children singing in different languages.

Breitbart calls it "offensive" in their posting:

Executives at Coca Cola thought it was a good idea to run a 60 second Super Bowl ad featuring children singing "America the Beautiful" – a deeply Christian patriotic anthem whose theme is unity – in several foreign languages. The ad also prominently features a gay couple.

Conservatives instantly lit up social media with objections, with many vowing to boycott the soda company's products.
    “If we cannot be proud enough as a country to sing 'American the Beautiful' in English in a commercial during the Super Bowl, by a company as American as they come — doggone we are on the road to perdition," said former GOP Rep. Allen West.
    The lyrics of the song, written in 1893 by Wellesley College Professor Katherine Lee Bates, ask God to grant America “brotherhood / From sea to shining sea.”
    As far as the executives at Coca Cola are concerned, however, the United States of America is no longer a nation ruled by the Constitution and American traditions in which English is the language of government. It is not a nation governed in the Anglo-American tradition of liberty. It is instead a nation governed by some all inclusive multi-cultural synthesis of the various forms of government in the world, as expressed by the multiple languages used in the Super Bowl ad to sing a uniquely American hymn that celebrates our heritage.
    “We don't get to pick and chose whether America should be diverse or not,” says one of the women featured in the ad on a behind-the-scenes video posted by Coca Cola, “It is diverse.....We need to celebrate all the different diversities.”

Note the shock that the video also features "a gay couple", no doubt singing in the new dialect of "gay" now deemed offensive too by some.

Even Glenn Beck, who recently regretted his role in "tearing America apart (source)" accused Coke of it being divisive (source):

“So somebody tweeted last night and said, ‘Glenn, what did you think of the Coke ad?’ And I said, ‘Why did you need that to divide us politically?’ Because that’s all this ad is,” Beck said. “It’s in your face, and if you don’t like it, if you’re offended by it, you’re a racist. If you do like it, you’re for immigration. You’re for progress. That’s all this is: to divide people. Remember when Coke used to do the thing on the top and they would all hold hands? Now it’s ‘Have a Coke and we’ll divide you.’”

So the great Divider himself seems to proclaim that offending people who don't like diversity is wrong.

I won't quote any of the comments from individuals but the Conservative sub-reddit has a posting has a good-cross section of thoughts though the Tea Partier seemed to have deleted his accounts.

Anyway, I don't see anything remotely offensive about celebrating America's diversity and certainly don't find it divisive presenting a traditional song sung in different languages to represent that. Anyone here want to take an opposing position?

1. Was it wrong to show that America has different cultures, as Allen West is suggesting, or is it a true honest picture that all should be proud of?

2. Is it a divisive video in of itself, as Beck is saying, or is it really dividing the most intolerant amongst us from the majority who welcome diversity?
    Last edited by JimJones8934; February 4th, 2014 at 06:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coke SuperBowl Ad - A Conservative Perspective

America is a nation of immigrants. Many of our ancestors came here speaking different languages. We have no official language in this country. The song is to the tune of the British National Anthem. And for God's sake, it's a commercial. All reasons to get over it.

3. Likes Sigfried, CowboyX liked this post
    Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    America is a nation of immigrants. Many of our ancestors came here speaking different languages. We have no official language in this country. The song is to the tune of the British National Anthem. And for God's sake, it's a commercial. All reasons to get over it.
    Just a correction. The song is not to the tune of the British National Anthem. You are thinking of "My Country Tis of Thee".

But it's pretty easy to get "America The Beautiful" confused with that song, much like some detractors of the commercial complained that the commercial had the National Anthem (The Star Spangled Banner) sung in other languages.

Those are our three primary patriotic songs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mican333 View Post
    Just a correction. The song is not to the tune of the British National Anthem. You are thinking of "My Country Tis of Thee".

But it's pretty easy to get "America The Beautiful" confused with that song, much like some detractors of the commercial complained that the commercial had the National Anthem (The Star Spangled Banner) sung in other languages.

Those are our three primary patriotic songs.
    Well now, that certainly sparked my interest enough for me to dig up this info on AtB:

David Dickson of Glasgow (1583?-1663) was a Scottish theologian. ...
    He composed the words and music to a Christian hymn entitled,
    "O Mother Dear, Jerusalem".

The hymn's tune was utilized by Samuel A Ward in 1906 for the
    composition of "America the Beautiful". It was one of several tunes
    that were used behind the lyrics from a poem by Katherine Lee Bates.
    Ward's melody became to favorite and is the music still used for the anthem.

The first draft of "America the Beautiful" was hastily jotted down in a notebook during the summer of 1893,
    which Bates spent teaching English at Colorado College in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Later she remembered:

"One day some of the other teachers and I decided to go on a trip to 14,000-foot Pikes Peak. We hired a prairie wagon.
    Near the top we had to leave the wagon and go the rest of the way on mules. I was very tired.
    But when I saw the view, I felt great joy. All the wonder of America seemed displayed there, with the sea-like expanse."

The words to her only famous poem first appeared in print in The Congregationalist, a weekly journal, for Independence Day, July 4, 1895.
    The poem reached a wider audience when her revised version was printed in the Boston Evening Transcript on Nov 19, 1904. Her final expanded version was written in 1913.

When a version appeared in her collection America the Beautiful, and Other Poems (1912), a reviewer in the New York Times wrote:
    "we intend no derogation to Miss Katharine Lee Bates when we say that she is a good minor poet."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_the_Beautiful

Ohh But, ... I almost forgot to add that the Christian fundamentalists would rather that, ...
    the lyrics to America the Beautiful be revised to this rhythmic-smashing minor change:

O beautiful for Christian spacious skies,
    For Christian amber waves of grain,
    For Christian purple mountain majesties
    Above the Christian fruited plain!
    Christian America! Christian America!
    Christian God shed his grace on thee
    And crown thy Christian good with Christian brotherhood
    From Christian sea to Christian shining sea!

Be the Rainbow in Someone Else's Cloud!! Kis

6. Thanks Sigfried thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    I don't know if a misplaced perception of history, as you rightly point out, that this patriotism is based upon is something that can be easily dismissed though. These aren't new pronouncements and they are not new thoughts.

Accusations of racism unfortunately mask the true underlying problem of not properly recognizing who we are. That's why it is a good topic to discuss.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimJones8934 View Post
    1 ... or is it a true honest picture that all should be proud of?
    How true and honest is it to portray people singing America the Beautiful in multiple languages? How often does anyone sing it in any language other than English?
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    How true and honest is it to portray people singing America the Beautiful in multiple languages? How often does anyone sing it in any language other than English?
    It is quite honest. People sing it Spanish and Vietnamese or any number of languages.

The outrage is silly and points to the need of the right wing to complain and make people other.

Post Thanks / Like

How true and honest is it to portray people singing America the Beautiful in multiple languages?
    It is very true because everyone is American with a cultural background and history and language that is unique or a unique combination. I know many, many people that are bilingual. Even though they all speak English they are also just as well verses in another.

To recognize that diversity though song is nothing short of touching. As astonishing as the original Coca Cola ad was with different races of people.

For those that only live in one culture it should be a good jolt to realize the patchwork that America is. That the differences run very deep indeed but also that those differences do not make them less American.

How often does anyone sing it in any language other than English?
    I think you'll find that most people in the world speak or understand more than one language!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

1. Its a commercial, its primary objective is not to divide or make political statements but to sell Coke.

2. My feeling when watching it was I was proud that so many people around the world share the American dream and spirit that at its best represents liberty and pride. Anyone who thinks that spirit can only be expressed in one language has fallen far short of said spirit in my opinion.

Remember that Coke is a global company and a big part of their popularity is that they are a quintessential American product.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It is very true because everyone is American with a cultural background and history and language that is unique or a unique combination. I know many, many people that are bilingual. Even though they all speak English they are also just as well verses in another.

To recognize that diversity though song is nothing short of touching. As astonishing as the original Coca Cola ad was with different races of people.

For those that only live in one culture it should be a good jolt to realize the patchwork that America is. That the differences run very deep indeed but also that those differences do not make them less American.

I think you'll find that most people in the world speak or understand more than one language!
    You're evading. You argued the commercial was "true and honest". Your claim is false. I've NEVER heard anyone sing America the Beautiful in any other language, and you know damn well that you never have either. Right now you might be able to find it on the internet if you try hard, but in common America it just doesn't happen. It is NOT true and honest to portray that in a commercial about diversity.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

You're evading. You argued the commercial was "true and honest". Your claim is false. I've NEVER heard anyone sing America the Beautiful in any other language, and you know damn well that you never have either. Right now you might be able to find it on the internet if you try hard, but in common America it just doesn't happen. It is NOT true and honest to portray that in a commercial about diversity.
    It's not a literal documentary about America! Neither do people sing one stanza of a song to be joined with another, if you want to talk about realism.

As to your own cultural awareness and experience, I cannot speak to that, but there are many translations of many songs sung by many people. I don't really see it that odd.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    1. Its a commercial, its primary objective is not to divide or make political statements but to sell Coke.
    Right but the fact is that it did. Even more so than the biracial cereal ad.

So somehow this ad hits a nerve. God forbid that someone sung it in Arabic!

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a literal documentary about America! Neither do people sing one stanza of a song to be joined with another, if you want to talk about realism.
    I accept your concession that the commercial is not true and honest.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

How true and honest is it to portray people singing America the Beautiful in multiple languages?
    I think the truth he is referring to is the truth that we are a multicultural nation and singing the song in multiple languages symbolizes that truth.

I'd say the message of the commercial is "We're multicultural! Yay! So drink Coke." And that's my problem with that commercial and most of the Superbowl Commercials - they didn't effectively make a case for buying their product. Sometimes I didn't even know what was being sold until the very end of the commercial and then I still didn't feel that I was given a coherent reason to buy that product. But if Coke wants to pitch multiculturalism instead of Coke, that's fine with me. I do my best to avoid drinking pop anyway.
    Last edited by mican333; February 4th, 2014 at 11:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what to be more annoyed at; The negative reaction to this ad or the knee-jerk labeling of said reaction as "conservative".

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

I think the truth he is referring to is the truth that we are a multicultural nation and singing the song in multiple languages symbolizes that truth.
    No, it's more than that.

I'd say the message of the commercial is "We're multicultural! Yay!
    Now you're closer. The implied "truth" is that we should accept all immigrants, languages and cultures, value them equally and celebrate the diversity they create. It is that brainwashing big lie which upsets conservatives.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The implied "truth" is that we should accept all immigrants, languages and cultures, value them equally and celebrate the diversity they create. It is that brainwashing big lie which upsets conservatives.
    How is that brainwashing or a lie?

Post Thanks / Like

I accept your concession that the commercial is not true and honest.
    That's not what I said. I said it wasn't a documentary. It is still true in that is accurately represents some of the different cultures here. And it is honest because these people are just as American, and just as patriotic and therefore have as much right to sing the song in their own language, as we do in ours.

It is certainly not untrue and certainly not dishonest.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Freund View Post
    I don't know what to be more annoyed at; The negative reaction to this ad or the knee-jerk labeling of said reaction as "conservative".
    That's not knee jerk - it's factual. We have a well known conservative broadcaster, a congressman, and a conservative blogger on a well known conservative site. Also, the conservative subreddit took that particular angle.

I am not making the claim that all conservatives think this way just that there happens to be a portion of conservatives with a largely consistent view on the matter. Those are the people that I am trying to understand.

I'd post some comments from right wing tweets or sites if you're in doubt but I'd rather not give them the air time.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

How is that brainwashing or a lie?
    Let's look at one small slice of immigrant culture:

In 2012, Medicare's crack investigators noticed that more than a billion dollars in home health care payments for 2008 had gone to one single county in Florida -- more than all such payments made to the rest of the entire country.

Do you think it would take five years for a private insurer to figure out it had been scammed out of $1 billion by a few health care professionals in one county? Anyone else would notice being stolen from, but not the government. It's not their money.

Wherever there's a government program, there's a gigantic opportunity for criminals. A staggering percentage of the health care workers scamming Medicare and Medicaid are foreign-born -- much higher than their numbers in the medical profession generally.

Thus, in the Department of Justice's most recent press releases about criminal convictions for Medicare and Medicaid fraud against the taxpayer -- solely for the four-day period ending Nov. 7 -- we have:

-- Nov. 7, 2013
    Mehran Javidan, owner of Acure, a home health care company in Oak Park, Mich., was paid more than $2.2 million from Medicare based on fraudulent physical therapy files he submitted between December 2008 and November 2010.

-- Nov. 7, 2013
    Javed Rehman, Tausif Rahman and Muhammad Ahmad -- no relation to the Tsarneav brothers -- fraudulently obtained Medicare beneficiary information to bill Medicare for home health services, swindling approximately $13.8 million from Medicare.

-- Nov. 7, 2013
    Eliza Lozano Lumbreras, San Juanita Gallegos Lozano, Manuel Anthony Puig and Romelia Puig used their operation of the Mission Clinic and La Hacienda Family Clinic to submit false claims to Medicare and Medicaid, stealing approximately half a million dollars from the taxpayers between 2001 and 2006.

-- Nov. 6, 2013:
    Karen Kallen-Zury, Daisy Miller and Christian Coloma were convicted for receiving approximately $40 million from Medicare for patients not eligible for psychiatric treatment because they were not severely mentally ill.

-- Nov. 6, 2013:
    Jose Rojo, Antonio Macli, Jorge Macli and Sandra Huarte in Miami paid patient recruiters to refer ineligible Medicare beneficiaries to their clinic for services that were never provided. They were paid more than $11 million in fraudulent claims to Medicare.

-- Nov. 4, 2013:
    Godwin Umotong, Leslie Omagbemi, Munda Massaquoi, Comfort Gates, Ovsanna Agopian and Boghos Babadjanian were convicted of fraudulently billing Medicare of millions of dollars for office visits and diagnostic tests that were never performed, more than $1.3 million of which Medicare paid.

-- Nov. 4, 2013:
    William Dale Sidener was convicted of submitting fraudulent bills to Medicare and receiving $4,677.00 in payments for services not performed.

These are Eric Holder's press releases, not mine.

Do you notice anything that stands out about the list of convicts? Would any of their names have sounded strange to Ben Franklin? Of 22 people convicted of defrauding American taxpayers by fraudulently billing Medicare or Medicaid, at least 17 have almost comically foreign names.

None of the scammers should be foreigners! We can’t do anything about our native-born crooks, but why are we importing them?

Enormous, unwieldy corrupt government programs run by arrogant bureaucrats would be bad enough in 1950. But after decades of our Third World-only immigration policies, one can't help noticing that Medicare and Medicaid are beckoning Disneylands for foreign-born thieves.

The problem isn't their complexion, it's their culture. In America, we think only dumb people become criminals. That's not true in the Third World!

Nigeria, for example, leads the world in criminal enterprises. Every level of Nigerian society is criminal, with the smart ones running Internet scams, the mid-range ones running car theft rings, and the stupid ones engaging in piracy and kidnapping. At the University of Lagos, you can major in credit card fraud... In 2012, Medicare's crack investigators noticed that more than a billion dollars in home health care payments for 2008 had gone to one single county in Florida -- more than all such payments made to the rest of the entire country.

Do you think it would take five years for a private insurer to figure out it had been scammed out of $1 billion by a few health care professionals in one county? Anyone else would notice being stolen from, but not the government. It's not their money.

Wherever there's a government program, there's a gigantic opportunity for criminals. A staggering percentage of the health care workers scamming Medicare and Medicaid are foreign-born -- much higher than their numbers in the medical profession generally.

Thus, in the Department of Justice's most recent press releases about criminal convictions for Medicare and Medicaid fraud against the taxpayer -- solely for the four-day period ending Nov. 7 -- we have:

-- Nov. 7, 2013
    Mehran Javidan, owner of Acure, a home health care company in Oak Park, Mich., was paid more than $2.2 million from Medicare based on fraudulent physical therapy files he submitted between December 2008 and November 2010.

-- Nov. 7, 2013
    Javed Rehman, Tausif Rahman and Muhammad Ahmad -- no relation to the Tsarneav brothers -- fraudulently obtained Medicare beneficiary information to bill Medicare for home health services, swindling approximately $13.8 million from Medicare.

-- Nov. 7, 2013
    Eliza Lozano Lumbreras, San Juanita Gallegos Lozano, Manuel Anthony Puig and Romelia Puig used their operation of the Mission Clinic and La Hacienda Family Clinic to submit false claims to Medicare and Medicaid, stealing approximately half a million dollars from the taxpayers between 2001 and 2006.

-- Nov. 6, 2013:
    Karen Kallen-Zury, Daisy Miller and Christian Coloma were convicted for receiving approximately $40 million from Medicare for patients not eligible for psychiatric treatment because they were not severely mentally ill.

-- Nov. 6, 2013:
    Jose Rojo, Antonio Macli, Jorge Macli and Sandra Huarte in Miami paid patient recruiters to refer ineligible Medicare beneficiaries to their clinic for services that were never provided. They were paid more than $11 million in fraudulent claims to Medicare.

-- Nov. 4, 2013:
    Godwin Umotong, Leslie Omagbemi, Munda Massaquoi, Comfort Gates, Ovsanna Agopian and Boghos Babadjanian were convicted of fraudulently billing Medicare of millions of dollars for office visits and diagnostic tests that were never performed, more than $1.3 million of which Medicare paid.

-- Nov. 4, 2013:
    William Dale Sidener was convicted of submitting fraudulent bills to Medicare and receiving $4,677.00 in payments for services not performed.

These are Eric Holder's press releases, not mine.

Do you notice anything that stands out about the list of convicts? Would any of their names have sounded strange to Ben Franklin? Of 22 people convicted of defrauding American taxpayers by fraudulently billing Medicare or Medicaid, at least 17 have almost comically foreign names.

None of the scammers should be foreigners! We can’t do anything about our native-born crooks, but why are we importing them?

Enormous, unwieldy corrupt government programs run by arrogant bureaucrats would be bad enough in 1950. But after decades of our Third World-only immigration policies, one can't help noticing that Medicare and Medicaid are beckoning Disneylands for foreign-born thieves.

The problem isn't their complexion, it's their culture. In America, we think only dumb people become criminals. That's not true in the Third World!

Nigeria, for example, leads the world in criminal enterprises. Every level of Nigerian society is criminal, with the smart ones running Internet scams, the mid-range ones running car theft rings, and the stupid ones engaging in piracy and kidnapping. At the University of Lagos, you can major in credit card fraud... http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2013-11-13.html

Tell me honestly, Mican, should we value Nigerian immigrants and their culture equally with those from Ireland or Germany?

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Let's look at one small slice of immigrant culture
    Right. A small slice. If immigration is bad then the negatives outweigh the positives so just pointing out a small fraction of the immigration issue that is negative does not show that the positives do not outweigh it and that immigration in general is a bad thing.

Tell me honestly, Mican, should we value Nigerian immigrants and their culture equally with those from Ireland or Germany?
    There was nothing in the commercial that said we should so the question is irrelevant to whether the commercial is lying or not.

It gave a very generalized endorsement for multiculturalism. Because you choose to read so much more into it does not mean that that was being intentionally presented in the commercial.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Right. A small slice. If immigration is bad then the negatives outweigh the positives so just pointing out a small fraction of the immigration issue that is negative does not show that the positives do not outweigh it and that immigration in general is a bad thing.
    You are conflating immigration with multiculturalism. They are not the same. Immigrants from some countries assimilate quickly, and often want to do so. Some value the opportunities to work hard and work honestly, and want to melt into "the great melting pot" of America. Others do not. Not all immigrants and cultures are equal. There is absolutely nothing wrong with discriminating against the ones that do harm to our country, or that don't offer enough benefits to the citizens already here.

There was nothing in the commercial that said we should so the question is irrelevant to whether the commercial is lying or not.

It gave a very generalized endorsement for multiculturalism. Because you choose to read so much more into it does not mean that that was being intentionally presented in the commercial.
    We're all reading into it, Mican. You and JJ are assuming the people in the commercial are Americans in the United States. Does it say that? Does it say they are speaking their native languages and are from many different cultures? No. So allow me the same privilege you take for yourself.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast