Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Obama's Olympics excuse

On Drudge today we find an article on Politico headlined Obama explains Sochi absence in interview with NBC's Bob Costas. The excuse is telling:

"President Barack Obama chose not to attend the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, in part because he didn’t want to distract from the competition, he said in an interview airing Thursday."

The folks that people are actually interested in seeing are our incredible athletes,” Obama said in an interview with NBC’s Bob Costas, according to a tweet from Jim Bell, NBC’s executive producer for the Olympics."

I can't think of another president in our history, who when asked why he wasn't going to attend an Olympics, would have offered the idea that by doing so he would "distract from the competition". The ego on this guy sent a tingle up Chris Matthews' leg. It sends a chill up my spine. This is the guy with his finger on the trigger of enough nuclear weapons to kill every human being on earth three times over, and he's not going to the Olympics so it won't be spoiled for the athletes when the crowds all pay attention to him, instead of them? The thought never crosses this pathological narcissist's mind the US athletes so far from home may take comfort in seeing their president there to root them to victory and ensure their safety.

2. Likes Kisadio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Obama's Olympics excuse

Quote Originally Posted by cstamford View Post
    On Drudge today we find an article on Politico headlined Obama explains Sochi absence in interview with NBC's Bob Costas. The excuse is telling:

"President Barack Obama chose not to attend the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, in part because he didn’t want to distract from the competition, he said in an interview airing Thursday."

The folks that people are actually interested in seeing are our incredible athletes,” Obama said in an interview with NBC’s Bob Costas, according to a tweet from Jim Bell, NBC’s executive producer for the Olympics."

I can't think of another president in our history, who when asked why he wasn't going to attend an Olympics, would have offered the idea that by doing so he would "distract from the competition". The ego on this guy sent a tingle up Chris Matthews' leg. It sends a chill up my spine. This is the guy with his finger on the trigger of enough nuclear weapons to kill every human being on earth three times over, and he's not going to the Olympics so it won't be spoiled for the athletes when the crowds all pay attention to him, instead of them? The thought never crosses this pathological narcissist's mind the US athletes so far from home may take comfort in seeing their president there to root them to victory and ensure their safety.

In light of your comment his statement makes a great deal of sense. If he had attended sludge would have run how he was on another vacation distracting from the games. Oh and they would have pointed out how he got a hotel with running water.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Do you seriously think this is the least bit important?

Show me a president that doesn't have an Ego the size of a small planet and I will be down right shocked. Conservatives simply hate Obama, just like they despised Clinton and Carter and so on.

At lest the left tends to focus mostly on the policy decisions of presidents rather than pretending to have some insights into their personal character based on non news such as this. "Not distracting" from this or that is simply the tried and true excuse given for not attending events that they simply don't feel any pressing need or desire to attend. Its a "It's not you its me." kind of things.

But read it as you like, I just find it goofy that folks think this is of any importance what so ever.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you get your news and information from Drudge not much can be done to help.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

6. Likes GoldPhoenix liked this post
    Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    Do you seriously think this is the least bit important?
    You read the OP, right? Of course I think ego in a president is important when it so clearly leeches into everything he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried
    Show me a president that doesn't have an Ego the size of a small planet and I will be down right shocked.
    Show me one comparable to Obama's and I'll recant. Furthermore, I can name several past presidents who manifested very little ego while in office. Coolidge, Eisenhower, Truman, Ford, are all good examples, and some others are borderline good examples. I'd even put Clinton in this latter category. No modern day president has exhibited the egomaniacal tendencies Obama puts on display on a regular basis. He can't stand criticism, even from a generally adoring press. He thinks he has mandates polls show he doesn't have. He doesn't just want to defeat his opponents politically; he wants to destroy them personally. He's played the race card several times. He thinks he has the unilateral power to tell Congress when it is in recess for the purpose of making recess appointments. He thinks he has the power to use Executive Orders to effectively re-write laws well beyond the clear intent of Congress, when those Orders only exist to help the President enforce laws AS WRITTEN! He unilaterally has made multiple decisions as to which federal laws he will enforce, and which he won't. And he lies outrageously and often in his speeches and press conferences.

And I'm STILL waiting to hear from him what he did for the rest of the night that the US Ambassador and three other Americans were murdered over an eleven hour period, after being informed of the attack about an hour after it began. I got to see a VIDEO of him intently following the raid that killed bin Laden, eyes glued to the screen as the images flickered across it. THAT had some political capital attached to it. There was an American drone overhead of the attack in Benghazi 30 MINUTES after the attack on the consulate, monitoring the evacuation under heavy fire to the annex. Where is the video of our president in the Situation Room, eyes glued to THAT flickering screen? Was he even still in the White House? He simply refuses to say, and if that doesn't demonstrate an egomaniacal attitude, then it certainly demonstrates a strong sense of political survival. I'm being CHARITABLE in assuming the former of these two possibilities.

So, you're right to an extent. All presidents do some of these things to some extent. My problem with Obama is he does all of them to an outrageous extent. History hasn't seen his like since Woodrow Wilson, and I hope to God it never sees his like again.

8. Likes Kisadio liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cstamford View Post
    He thinks he has the power to use Executive Orders to effectively re-write laws well beyond the clear intent of Congress, when those Orders only exist to help the President enforce laws AS WRITTEN!
    You have no evidence he has done this, ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Obama's Olympics excuse

@Liberals:

Leave the poor guy alone - with two threads on ACA in one day that were already debunked in my own thread by the time he posted and corrected elsewhere including from his own sources (selectively quoted of course) and his own party, the Obama-rage has to be released somehow. And when the Drudge/FoxNews whistles blow at the same time, you'd have to be a super-human (or Liberal, same thing) not to have to rage at Obama over something, anything, no matter how it might be perceived by others.

It's what is commonly called scraping at the bottom of the barrel, which is pretty much where some of the right-wing attacks are coming from these days. But hey, that's great news for us Liberals right? If all that's left are actually mis-readings and lies and distortions and narrow out of context quotes and personal attacks then we should breath a sigh of relief that nothing of substance can be found.

The only thing is not to be complacent! It's not about having the better argument (or in cases like this the other side having a terrible one). It's about ensuring that you vote - remember, it's the anger that is keeping the right-wing alive. The only thing debunkings really do is to drive them deeper into the most bizarre of arguments (e.g. the Benghazi thread, I had just summarized and here it has been reduced to not having enough to complain about - I agree). We know that the anger remains even though the reasons have been ripped away, by their own poor arguments no less; so reasons are irrelevant.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I just realized shooting the breeze is the best place for these types of posts (which is all I'm doing here since there are no debunkings left). There's no rigor or reason needed here; which is fine because there is none in threads like these, which probably belong onto Facebook IMHO. Let's hope it's the last - that the Liberals here have spoken: right-wingers please stop posting nonsense, please fact-check and stop quoting Drudge and Fox News or if you do, at least look at one or two Liberal sites first.

Pro-tip: if all the right-wing sites are saying one thing and liberal sites have an opposing view, then listen to the liberal sites.
    Last edited by JimJones8934; February 7th, 2014 at 05:08 AM.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

It's astounding what conservatives waste their time thinking about.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." --Voltaire

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyX View Post
    Well, if you get your news and information from Drudge not much can be done to help.
    Hmm, from what I've read, Drudge is pretty much regarded by news media across the political spectrum as one of the most important news sources in the world. Why the hate on Drudge?
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CliveStaples View Post
    Hmm, from what I've read, Drudge is pretty much regarded by news media across the political spectrum as one of the most important news sources in the world. Why the hate on Drudge?
    He is nothing but a news aggregator who writes inflammatory sensational misleading headlines. He likes to race bait a lot and ran a photo of the President with N*gger N*gger N*gger next to it. Every story he links to gets a deluge of hate filled a racist comments. Some he pays his staff to write. He is a bottom of the barrel lowest common denominator muck raker.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mdougie View Post
    He is nothing but a news aggregator who writes inflammatory sensational misleading headlines. He likes to race bait a lot and ran a photo of the President with N*gger N*gger N*gger next to it. Every story he links to gets a deluge of hate filled a racist comments. Some he pays his staff to write. He is a bottom of the barrel lowest common denominator muck raker.
    So...he's a good source of news, then? I don't care about the comments, I care about the news stories. And from what I hear--and you've said nothing to the contrary--the Drudge report is a world leader in sniffing out news.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard

Post Thanks / Like

On that note, and related to the OP, the woman who lit the Olympic flame also posted a racist tweet about Obama last year. From the Guardian :-

The subject of racism has become the focus of a public discussion inRussia after an MP from the Duma caused outrage by posting an image of Barack Obama on Twitter that was photoshopped to include a banana.
    Irina Rodnina, an MP from Vladimir Putin's United Russia party and a triple Olympic champion figure-skater, posted the picture on her personal Twitter account.
    The image features Obama chewing, while a hand in the foreground waves a banana at him.
    Rodnina insisted that there was nothing wrong with the photograph, and said she had been sent it by friends in America. "Freedom of speech is freedom of speech, and you should answer for your own hang-ups," she wrote.

Racism is rife in Russia, and black football players often face racial abuse involving bananas. In 2011, the Brazilian Roberto Carlos, playing for Russian team Anzhi Makhachkala, left the pitch in anger after a banana was thrown at him from the stands. In a separate incident, the club Zenit St Petersburg was fined the equivalent of about £6,300 when a fan offered Carlos a banana before a match.
    Rodnina, who lived in the US for many years, deleted the photograph but has not apologised and remains unfazed by accusations of racism. Instead, she suggested that the wave of criticism she prompted from liberal journalists and other Russians was a conspiracy.

Perhaps this is why Obama decided to forgo the ceremony. Or it's Putin's response back to Obama. Either way, it's good to know where Drudge stands when it comes to a direct insult to his own President.

Post Thanks / Like

So...he's a good source of news, then? I don't care about the comments, I care about the news stories. And from what I hear--and you've said nothing to the contrary--the Drudge report is a world leader in sniffing out news.
    No he is good for generating clicks. As for actual news go to cpspan or refdesk. That is what Drudge does. He is a great troll who gets the hateful to go say mean stuff on the internet, generates troll traffic. That's his shtick. He isn't a news source.

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, you're correct. There's nothing wrong with the individual sources Drudge links to. Unfortunately, there's people that can't see through a skewed agenda.

For example, titles of articles posted today:

GREAT LAKES RECORD ICE COVER

NYT: The End of Snow?

Over two-thirds of continental USA covered...

I'll let you tell us what the problem is.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

No he is good for generating clicks. As for actual news go to cpspan or refdesk. That is what Drudge does. He is a great troll who gets the hateful to go say mean stuff on the internet, generates troll traffic. That's his shtick. He isn't a news source.
    Right, he's a news aggregator. He points to news sources. Being good at sniffing out news means aggregating the most newsworthy stories. I don't think juxtaposing images or writing fanciful headlines counts as "trolling". The question is whether you can find timely, important news stories on Drudge. In my experience, you can. Whether or not his editorial style gets "the hateful to go say mean stuff" is immaterial to this point.

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

Indeed, you're correct. There's nothing wrong with the individual sources Drudge links to. Unfortunately, there's people that can't see through a skewed agenda.

For example, titles of articles posted today:

GREAT LAKES RECORD ICE COVER

NYT: The End of Snow?

Over two-thirds of continental USA covered...

I'll let you tell us what the problem is.
    Do you honestly think you're coming across as unbiased? Why should I trust your opinion on anything related to politics?

Post Thanks / Like

Right, he's a news aggregator. He points to news sources. Being good at sniffing out news means aggregating the most newsworthy stories. I don't think juxtaposing images or writing fanciful headlines counts as "trolling". The question is whether you can find timely, important news stories on Drudge. In my experience, you can. Whether or not his editorial style gets "the hateful to go say mean stuff" is immaterial to this point.[COLOR="Silver"]
    Matt Drudge is king of the trolls.

Banned Indefinitely

Post Thanks / Like

In light of your comment his statement makes a great deal of sense. If he had attended sludge would have run how he was on another vacation distracting from the games. Oh and they would have pointed out how he got a hotel with running water.
    The truth of counterfactual propositions is, for anyone lacking omniscience, inscrutable by definition. So unless you happen to be omniscient, you have no idea what Drudge would or wouldn't have "run" had the facts been otherwise.

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

Matt Drudge, author of the Drudge Report news blog, compiles news stories, mainly from the US, but also from around the world, most of which report on things that interest conservatives. The Left has generally held a kind of seething, Pavlovian contempt for him ever since he broke the story on Monica Lewinsky on his own, via his Report, a weekly subscriber-based e-mail dispatch, when Newsweek refused to publish it. As the attacker of the penultimate liberal presidential icon, he is, perhaps, one of theeee most hated conservatives in America, as demonstrated as best he can by Mdougie.

But when all that is said and done, all he does now is post news stories written by other reporters working for other news outlets.

Post Thanks / Like

Drudge-Smudge This, Cowboy:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-its-putins-schtick-to-look-like-tough-guy/#postComments

WASHINGTON -- President Obama says part of Russian President Vladimir Putin's "shtick" (gimmick) is to look like the tough guy in Russia.

Mr. Obama made the comment in an interview with NBC News that's set to air Friday. The comments came a day before Friday's opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics taking place in Sochi, Russia.

During Mr. Obama's tenure, the U.S. and Russia have had disagreements over Syria (esp. the "Red Line" fiasco!), American fugitive Edward Snowden and human rights, etc. ...

"This Obama guy is not real. It is he who talks and behaves as if he was Captain America only to put his tail between his legs when Putin tells him to back off his threat to attack Syria because if he doesn't, there will be war. What did this coward do then? He punted, after Syria had used chemical weapons on its citizens and crossed Obama's so called 'red line?' Cowards, they say, die many times before their death.

"It is NOT Putin's 'schtick' to look tough; HE IS TOUGH because when he warns you, Obama, you listen and you back off. He plays a nice guy with you when it suits him and slams you to the wall when it is necessary. That is not a 'schtick;' that is hardball international diplomacy you should have learned when you were doing community organizing in Chicago!" - Killer Mamba (guest commentary)

The main reason Obummer avoids Putin is he is made of pure chicken poop. It's the same reason that any geeky kid would avoid meeting up with his kick-ass bully. ...

"Next to Obama even a marshmallow looks tough!" - mctrog007 (guest commentary) ...

What a difference we had with this gutsy POTUS:
    "MR. GORBACHEV, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!!" - President Reagan's speech at Brandenberg Gate, June 12, 1987

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtYdjbpBk6A

Some Really Simple Stuff going on here, folks!

Be the Rainbow in Someone Else's Cloud!! Kis

Post Thanks / Like

Do you honestly think you're coming across as unbiased? Why should I trust your opinion on anything related to politics?

I don't understand what you mean.

Let me give you a little help:

Those three articles were chosen to influence an anti-global warming agenda and to tray and discredit the NYT at the same time.

Very effective on those of a certain mindset. However, can you see what is wrong with the portrayal?

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

I don't understand what you mean.

Let me give you a little help:

Those three articles were chosen to influence an anti-global warming agenda and to tray and discredit the NYT at the same time.

Very effective on those of a certain mindset. However, can you see what is wrong with the portrayal?