Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Rancher Bundy really puts his cowboy boot in his mouth.

The New York Times has reported the controversial comments.

These untoward remarks made by Bundy, will haunt him for the rest of his life, and will serve to make his situation far more accute than otherwise.
    I predict he will rapidly lose any goodwill he may have garnered from the public as a result of commenting about racially charged statements. what do you think about it?

The Times reported that Bundy made the remarks during a daily news conference that “drew one reporter and one photographer” and which Bundy turned into “what was in effect a town meeting with supporters.”

“I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro,” Bundy said Saturday, according to the Times, “and in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids — and there is always at least a half a dozen people sitting on the porch — they didn’t have nothing to do. They didn’t have nothing for their kids to do. They didn’t have nothing for their young girls to do.”

“And because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do?” he continued. “They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom.”

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rancher Bundy really puts his cowboy boot in his mouth.

I'm kinda missing the topic of this thread. Do you have something you want to debate or do you just want to point out Bundy is a racist....???
    The U.S. is currently enduring a zombie apocalypse. However, in a strange twist, the zombie's are starving.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry... i didn't know.. Does every post have to be in the form of a debate challenge? please help me out.

I'm just looking for feedback, but will debate anyone on any religio=politico issue of public interest..

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Moved to STB due to lack of OP
    I will no longer be replying to any post from a Liberal going forward. I will continue, as normal, to discuss topics and engage in intellectual exchanges with non-leftist

5. Likes Talthas liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you..

Senior Mod

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lindlkeller View Post
    I'm sorry... i didn't know.. Does every post have to be in the form of a debate challenge? please help me out.

I'm just looking for feedback, but will debate anyone on any religio=politico issue of public interest..
    Hi, Lindlkeller, and welcome to ODN!

You have had your first encounter with one of the many distinctions that make ODN different from most debate sites, and I hope that you will find, in time, that you like it as much as we do. See, we have a fairly high standard for posting in the debate forums. The reason that we do this is so that we can ensure that the debates we have here at ODN are of the highest quality. We always strive to keep things intellectually rigorous, intellectually honest, and logically sound, so that we can feel confident that we are doing justice to the pursuit of truth and are truly using this place a "Forge of Reason," where we can hammer out ideas under the pressure of well-reasoned and well-supported debate. To that end, we have some requirements for a post that goes into our debate forums. They're not terribly onerous, but they are quite specific.

Specifically, someone posting an OP in the debate forums needs to a) establish the issue to be debated, b) take a definitive position in relation to that issue, and c) defend that position with some form of support, be it logical reasoning, empirical evidence, or some other thing that grants a "warrant" to make such a claim.

When someone wants to interact with the OP, they will need to make their post either asking questions to clarify or rebut the position, establish their own counterpoints, or agree. In any case, they would need to provide support of their own for their position which will provide a warrant for them to make their own claims. From here, the debate proceeds by either rebutting or conceding various supporting claims or facts, challenging the warrant a person has to make a given claim by various means, or the like. In all cases, a debater needs to be willing and able to offer some sort of support for statements made on the debate forums.

For people looking for a bit more relaxed of an atmosphere to discuss ideas, we have the Shooting the Breeze forums... and, in a larger sense, the Clubhouse in general. Here, the rules of debate are suspended, but our rules regarding civility and courtesy still apply. You don't have to support a challenged point on a STB thread, and OP made in the STB thread don't need to take a specific position on an issue in order to be deemed an adequate OP. All you need to do is have "something to say" and say it in a way that people want to interact with it.

If you want to debate religion, we have an entire forum just for that purpose, and you should feel free to post a topic of interest to you, provided that you have a position on an issue for which you have well-reasoned support. Likewise, we have a political forum dedicated purely to the pursuit of political discussion. This sometimes bleeds over into the Social Issues forum as well.

In cases where someone posts on the debate forums but doesn't meet the criteria for a "sufficient OP," we as staff simply move that thread to the Clubhouse.. specifically, the Shooting the Breeze forum... for further discussion. If the discussion is somewhat serious but doesn't quite hold up to being a proper debate thread, we move it to "Formal Discussion." You can consider that forum sort of a halfway point between the Clubhouse and the Debate forums.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me or any member of the staff, or start a thread on Ask the Staff, where we can all respond in a timely fashion.

I hope this answers your questions, and I hope you will continue to post and enjoy your time with us.

Again, welcome!!

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

In case you're interested, I've responded with my opinion regarding the Cliven Bundy case in this thread: Feel free to join in there if you like, or continue on this thread if you want to focus more on Bundy and his racism and why you think it's important.
    -=[Talthas]=-
    ODN Senior Moderator

ODN Rules

8. Likes Squatch347, Sigfried liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

thanks again..

10. Likes Squatch347 liked this post
    ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh this is the guy on the standoff over grazing rights. Not doing himself any favors there. Then again most farmers are not really public speakers or politicians and I'm not sure why we would expect otherwise. They guy is entitled to his opinion however awfully he puts it.
    Feed me some debate pellets!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfried View Post
    Ahh this is the guy on the standoff over grazing rights. Not doing himself any favors there. Then again most farmers are not really public speakers or politicians and I'm not sure why we would expect otherwise. They guy is entitled to his opinion however awfully he puts it.
    spot on bro.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree he misspoke. However, if you delete the words pertaining to race in his comments you're left with right-wing ideology:

“I want to tell you one more thing I know about [people],” Bundy said Saturday, according to the Times, “and in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids — and there is always at least a half a dozen people sitting on the porch — they didn’t have nothing to do. They didn’t have nothing for their kids to do. They didn’t have nothing for their young girls to do.”

“And because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do?” he continued. “They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as [wage] slaves and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They get no more freedom. They got less freedom.” edits by me.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Sure Cowboy but we already knew he was conservative minded as are a good many Americans.

And honestly, there are lazy people who suck at the teat of the state dole and make life hard for everyone else and I don't much care for folks like that myself. Of course suggesting they are better off as slaves is ridiculous. More like he would be better off if they were his slaves.

Of course the irony is he's one of them to a degree. He may not be lazy but he's sucking at the teat of government land and not paying for it.

But I wouldn't say being conservative is any crime. It's when you combine it with being stupid and ignorant you have real problems and he seems to have the trifecta going in spades.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

But I wouldn't say being conservative is any crime. It's when you combine it with being stupid and ignorant you have real problems and he seems to have the trifecta going in spades.
    I'm curious. What has Bundy said or done that suggests he is stupid and ignorant?
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evensaul View Post
    I'm curious. What has Bundy said or done that suggests he is stupid and ignorant?
    He's stupid to say things like that in public media because it greatly undermines everything else he wants to say.

He's ignorant to think people would be better off as slaves than on welfare.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

He's stupid to say things like that in public media because it greatly undermines everything else he wants to say.
    Only for ignorant and stupid people that can't separate the legal issue from his personal opinions on other issues. How do the opinions of MSNBCCBSPBSABC or people like you matter to his legal situation?

He's ignorant to think people would be better off as slaves than on welfare.
    Do you believe that people in servitude are always worse off than those who are free? What makes you think that?
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth." - Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

What everyone is entirely missing is that the News Media in the usa are totally under singular control.

And all Bundy did was to provide more grist for the judeo-marxist public relations mill ,allowing for all decent right minded people to become the butt of laughter .

Senior Mod

Post Thanks / Like

What everyone is entirely missing is that the News Media in the usa are totally under singular control.

And all Bundy did was to provide more grist for the judeo-marxist public relations mill ,allowing for all decent right minded people to become the butt of laughter .
    I was with you until this point, dude... I understand that the mainstream media in this country are generally in the pocket of the Left, but I think it's a bridge too far to say that it's all a conspiracy perpetrated by the dirty Communist Jews.

If I'm misunderstanding your position, please feel free to correct me... but I don't think I am.

Can you support the idea that there is some sort of Jewish Marxist group calling the shots for all the major news outlets that's responsible for this?
    -=[Talthas]=-
    ODN Senior Moderator

ODN Rules

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Talthas View Post
    I was with you until this point, dude... I understand that the mainstream media in this country are generally in the pocket of the Left, but I think it's a bridge too far to say that it's all a conspiracy perpetrated by the dirty Communist Jews.

If I'm misunderstanding your position, please feel free to correct me... but I don't think I am.

Can you support the idea that there is some sort of Jewish Marxist group calling the shots for all the major news outlets that's responsible for this?
    "Today, seven Jewish Americans run the vast majority of US television networks, the printed press, the Hollywood movie industry, the book publishing industry, and the recording industry. Most of these industries are bundled into huge media conglomerates run by the following seven individuals:

Gerald Levin, CEO and Director of AOL Time Warner

Michael Eisner, Chairman and CEO of the Walt Disney Company

Edgar Bronfman, Sr., Chairman of Seagram Company Ltd

Edgar Bronfman, Jr, President and CEO of Seagram Company Ltd and head of Universal Studios

Sumner Redstone, Chairman and CEO of Viacom, Inc

Dennis Dammerman, Vice Chairman of General Electric

Peter Chernin, President and Co-COO of News Corporation Limited

Those seven Jewish men collectively control ABC, NBC, CBS, the Turner Broadcasting System, CNN, MTV, Universal Studios, MCA Records, Geffen Records, DGC Records, GRP Records, Rising Tide Records, Curb/Universal Records, and Interscope Records.

Most of the larger independent newspapers are owned by Jewish interests as well. An example is media mogul is Samuel I. "Si" Newhouse, who owns two dozen daily newspapers from Staten Island to Oregon, plus the Sunday supplement Parade; the Conde Nast collection of magazines, including Vogue, The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, Allure, GQ, and Self; the publishing firms of Random House, Knopf, Crown, and Ballantine, among other imprints; and cable franchises with over one million subscribers."

I coul d add that Michael Eisner could depart Disney tomorrow but the company will remain in the hands of Shamrock Holdings, whose principal office is now located in Israel".

http://wais.stanford.edu/History/his...ion(092803).ht ml

Bronfman Group Buys Time Warner Music

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Time Warner Inc. (TWX.N: Quote, Profile, Research) on Monday said it would sell its Warner Music business to a group led by media mogul Edgar Bronfman Jr. for $2.6 billion, in a move to trim the media group's debts and signaling a return of the former Seagram chairman to the music business.

The Bronfman group beat out a bid by EMI (EMI.L: Quote, Profile, Research) for the recorded music portion of the business for an estimated $1 billion.

By choosing the Bronfman bid, Time Warner is forsaking $250 million to $300 million in cost savings it could have realized by combining with EMI, home to such acts as The Beatles and Radiohead. Warner Music artists include Madonna, Led Zeppelin and R.E.M.

Did I break the rules again?? can't talk about those JOOOOS? is that it?

I apologize if I hurt feelings , ; it's just what I believe . And I'm willing to take on the loyal opposition. if that's allowable. if not ,well ,that's just as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Edgar Bronfman, Jr, President and CEO of Seagram Company Ltd and head of Universal Studios

Do they meet often? What do they discuss?

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

Do you believe that people in servitude are always worse off than those who are free? What makes you think that?

That sounds like a good debate topic worthy of its own thread.
    "Real Boys Kiss Boys" -M.L.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Only for ignorant and stupid people that can't separate the legal issue from his personal opinions on other issues. How do the opinions of MSNBCCBSPBSABC or people like you matter to his legal situation?
    Nothing. His legal issue was decided in the courts many times over and over again. he has no legal legs to stand on here. His primary argument is one of moral principle of government. And he undermines it by making racist comments supporting the idea of slavery.

Almost always, yes. I'd prefer to be a slave than dead, but I would certainly risk death to avoid slavery. Is not give me liberty or give me death a rallying cry of american ideals?

It is telling that the only people who generally advocate slavery are those who are not in a position to become slaves.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Did someone tell you you can't debate about Jews here? If so they are mistaken. You are welcome to debate topics about Jews as much as you like. So far as I know (and I am a moderator) you have not been reported for any rules violations on the board at all. So far you have been polite and are engaging in debate much as we would expect of any member.

I apologize if I hurt feelings , ; it's just what I believe . And I'm willing to take on the loyal opposition. if that's allowable. if not ,well ,that's just as well.
    So long as you are not insulting members of the board or simply making disparaging remarks about people just for the sake of making them you should be fine. we would not tolerate anyone simply badmouthing any particular group, but if you want to make a claim and then support it as you have been doing that is perfectly acceptable and the whole purpose of the site.

Senior Mod

Post Thanks / Like

"Today, seven Jewish Americans run the vast majority of US television networks, the printed press, the Hollywood movie industry, the book publishing industry, and the recording industry. Most of these industries are bundled into huge media conglomerates run by the following seven individuals:

Those seven Jewish men collectively control ABC, NBC, CBS, the Turner Broadcasting System, CNN, MTV, Universal Studios, MCA Records, Geffen Records, DGC Records, GRP Records, Rising Tide Records, Curb/Universal Records, and Interscope Records.

Most of the larger independent newspapers are owned by Jewish interests as well. An example is media mogul is Samuel I. "Si" Newhouse, who owns two dozen daily newspapers from Staten Island to Oregon, plus the Sunday supplement Parade; the Conde Nast collection of magazines, including Vogue, The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, Allure, GQ, and Self; the publishing firms of Random House, Knopf, Crown, and Ballantine, among other imprints; and cable franchises with over one million subscribers."

I coul d add that Michael Eisner could depart Disney tomorrow but the company will remain in the hands of Shamrock Holdings, whose principal office is now located in Israel".
    OK... fair enough. There are a lot of Jewish people in media. I can see that. Now... I'd like to better understand why the faith/ancestry of these people matters when we're talking about their political orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by lindlkeller

Nah... like Sigfried said, you can talk about whatever you like, as long as you're respectful toward your debaters and you don't start throwing around racial slurs or unsupported statements. This is a place to explore ideas. Nobody's going to be offended if you really believe that Jews form a secret cabal that rules the world (or aims to), as long as you're polite about it. We'll just ask you to support your claims and explore each one on its own merits and go wherever the facts lead us.
    -=[Talthas]=-
    ODN Senior Moderator

ODN Rules

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast